PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS with topo maps

cbmontgo
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM
I am looking for a fairly simple GPS for camping trips. I want something small that has topo maps and shows trails here in Colorado. I may occasionally take it on hikes. Any recommendations?

AxleIke
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I have a garmin Oregonand love it. I have the full southwest 1:24k set for topo, and it is amazing for hiking, wheeling, hunting. I also have the North America City Navigator maps and that is great for finding restaurants, retail, or just getting directions to a house.

There are obviously better models to be had by many brands. For a handheld, I love the Oregon. All depends on your price range.

cbmontgo
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I have a garmin Oregonand love it. I have the full southwest 1:24k set for topo, and it is amazing for hiking, wheeling, hunting. I also have the North America City Navigator maps and that is great for finding restaurants, retail, or just getting directions to a house.

There are obviously better models to be had by many brands. For a handheld, I love the Oregon. All depends on your price range.

I think I saw that on REI's site. I will check it out. Thanks!

John
01-18-2011, 08:24 PM
The Wife gave me a Garmin Nuvi 500 topo model for xmas for the FJ60. I have not been up the hill with it yet but it works slick around the front range. The female voice is a little stern and I cannot figure out how to get the the french girl with the breath in your ear voice to take over. It is a nice combi size and I don't think I could use any smaller screen as it is 3.5" diagonal. :beer:

jacdaw
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
The Wife gave me a Garmin Nuvi 500 topo model for xmas for the FJ60. I have not been up the hill with it yet but it works slick around the front range. The female voice is a little stern and I cannot figure out how to get the the french girl with the breath in your ear voice to take over. It is a nice combi size and I don't think I could use any smaller screen as it is 3.5" diagonal. :beer:Garmin's website (http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/bundles/allvehicles.html)gives you choices for vehicle icons and voice options.:thumb:

RockRunner
01-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I have the Garmin CSX60 and it is great for wheeling and around town. Small but a color screen and simple use. I love it, it goes from car to car or in the pack.

cbmontgo
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I have the Garmin CSX60 and it is great for wheeling and around town. Small but a color screen and simple use. I love it, it goes from car to car or in the pack.

Does that one come with topos or are they a separate purchase?

Inukshuk
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
I have been very happy with the eTrex Legend. Have used that model since 1998, until it wore out and then I bought a new color one. Shop around for deals. You will need to get the CD's to run the Mapsource software if you go that route so factor in those prices. Once you have Mapsource, you can get most states' topos online free.

art hog
01-19-2011, 06:24 PM

I have one of these too, Well I did. My dog chewed it up:banghead:. I liked it though. I bought the topos separate. I used it Mt biking. I wanted to download the routs to my computer but I dont thick it was mac compatible. I will get another when I can afford it. I got mine from Sams club. It beat REI by $30

RockRunner
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Separate but you can download different maps from some places and convert them to work on this Garmin. I would let you use my Topo stuff or maybe sell it since I really don't use it much. I do know that the Garmin stuff is expensive but they last and are rugged.

You can find a 60 on GL or eBay for about 2-3 hundred depending on what it comes with.

T

Edit, none on CL but check out eBay (http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Garmin+60&_sacat=See-All-Categories)

cbmontgo
01-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I have an REI gift card that I am going to use, so I need to check out their stuff and see what works. Sounds like there are quite a few options.

Inukshuk
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I have an REI gift card that I am going to use, so I need to check out their stuff and see what works. Sounds like there are quite a few options.

Buy something at REI, return it for cash and buy the GPS online. Save much money!

cbmontgo
01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Buy something at REI, return it for cash and buy the GPS online. Save much money!

Hmmm....something to consider!

RockRunner
01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I would use your REI card to buy software after you buy your GPS on eBay or somewhere else. The software is important since it is registered to your GPS and if you buy used they may not have cleared their GPS with Garmin. This goes for any GPS basically, they are getting much smarter with their software licensing.