PDA

View Full Version : fj40 drum to fj60 disc brake conversion help

PhatFJ
01-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi all as many of you know I am in the middle of my 1970 fj40 build. In the process I am converting the front drum breaks to fj60 disk setup, I just noticed that Toyota changed the fittings on the soft break lines where on the 40 they go from the inside of the wheel to the frame and on the 60 they go from the inside of the wheel to the axle with a single line down from the frame to the axle and are much shorter out to the wheel. So, what is the best, most reliable and cost effective way to go? I would like to use as many fittings that I already have as possible. I am also running a new (separate) circuit to the rear breaks as well, which will also be disk conversion. As always, Thanks for the help!!!!

Brian

Air Randy
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I had to do this same mod to my 1974 40 when I went from drum to disc brakes.

I went to Yoda Jim's and got the entire disc to disc hard line setup off of a mini truck front axle. They are similar enough that you can make it work on a 40 axle with only a few minor bends by hand. You end up with 1 line coming down from the MC to a T block mounted on the front axle on the drivers side almost directly underneath the frame rail. You then have a short hard line on the drivers side that has a fitting so a soft line (6" to 8" long) attaches and then goes to the caliper. Same story on the passenger side except the hard line from the T block is much longer and has the fitting past the 3rd member, again with a 6 to 8" flex line from there to the caliper.

Chances are your 70 vintage has the old 9mm size brake fittings which are almost impossible to find anyways. If you already have a T block that uses the newer 10mm size fitting, you can just buy metric hardlines at Autozone and bend your own, or go to Yoda Jim's and get the setup like I did.

PhatFJ
01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Right on!! THANKS Randy I knew there was a logical way to approach this and I think you nailed it... :bowdown: Take it easy and I will talk to you soon...

Brian

slickrock
03-05-2011, 10:47 PM
When I did mine, I swapped the entire 60 series axle but removed the wagon's brake lines and reused my 40's stock lines instead. They are long enough with gentle straightening and bending and I did use a longer soft line than the stock line that helped make the old brake line work (I'm sprung over and really flexy so the stock flex line wasn't long enough. I can't be 100% certain, but I may have just used the Wagon's soft line and attached it to the 40's soft line to get the longer length that way. I am a coupla hundred miles from my cruiser to check for sure. I know I did that during mock-up, but can't remember if I replaced it. Cheap and easy.