PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Moab 2011 Pre-Run/Leader Training March 18-20

leiniesred
01-19-2011, 05:27 PM
It looks like March 18, 19, and 20th will work out OK for most Rising Sun and Wasatch Cruiser volunteers to head to Moab to conduct live leader/gunner training for Cruise Moab 2011.

The focus of the event will be to help volunteers be well prepared leaders and gunners for scheduled trail rides at Cruise Moab 2011.

It will be fun, but out there pre-running the trails, we won't be stopping to take pictures and pick daisies. Expect to run two or three trails in a day and expect to spend some time in camp in the evenings for a little semi-formal discussion on what it takes to be a great trail leader/gunner.

If you are interested in honing your 4wheeling skills, this is also a fantastic way to get a ton of trail time out there learning with some of the finest trail leaders and gunners around.

In the evenings, we'll have brief, semi-formal meetings to discuss important topics for trail leaders and gunners including safety, breakdowns, navigation, trail etiquette, and how to handle emergency situations. The evening meeting will also provide everyone an opportunity to share what we have learned in previous years as trail leaders and gunners.

In summary: If you want to step up and be a Trail Leader and/or Gunner at Cruise Moab 2011 or if you want to help others learn the trails and skills required to be great leaders and gunners, mark your calendars for a trip to Moab on March 18, 19, 20th, 2011.

Thanks!
-Stephen

Inukshuk
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Very Likely

FJBRADY
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
In.

Thanks Stephen for putting this together.....good times.

RockRunner
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Should work for me but.....................

Air Randy
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Dee and I are in. Any idea where were going to camp yet?

farnhamstj
01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for posting dates.

Romer
01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Sarah and I may be there

Corbet
01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Porter and I are in. I vote Area BFE again

RockRunner
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
BFE is not a bad idea, cool area with a place to have a nice fire and it is inexpensive. Got to watch the Benjamin's you know:(

Red_Chili
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm down with BFE. I will try to get the time off.

Corbet
01-19-2011, 11:34 PM
and it is inexpensive.
:thumb: bring an extra st of keys this year just in case of.... well you know...

:camping::beer2::campfire::drink::shots:

bh4rnnr
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
:thumb: bring an extra st of keys this year just in case of.... well you know...

:camping::beer2::campfire::drink::shots:

:lmao:

Gonna try and make this one in the 4runner:)........

:beer:

zornff
01-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I am going to try to make it out.

Cheeseman
01-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Should be good for me. Now I get to see how much of my family is interested. Camping is probably fine. But not with spring weather I think. We'll see. And don't give me the weeny thing. I'll probably spend about 3 weeks or so in a tent this year with what is already planned.

I look forward to helping as much as I can.

corsair23
01-24-2011, 06:44 PM
^^ Weeny

:hill:

Corbet
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
^^ Weeny

Uncle Ben
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
^^ Weeny

X3 :p:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
in

Inukshuk
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
in

in what? PT Cruiser? :hill:

timmbuck2
01-25-2011, 07:53 AM
I will be there, agree that BFE is a great place to setup

powderpig
02-17-2011, 03:35 PM
I wish I could attend. But the wife is going to be out of town for those days and a few before the first one. Some one needs to watch the not so little one's around the house play nicely. So it looks like I will not be able to attend. You all have fun and play nicely on the cliff's.

RockRunner
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Robbie. Your insight on the trails and obstacles is always welcomed and learned from.

FJBRADY
02-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Friday 3/18 Pre-Run trails.

I will be running Cliff Hanger and Kane Creek back to back on Friday if anyone wants to plan on joining me.

Looking to lead others on Cliff Hanger as I am training for that trail.....If anyone wants to learn Kane Creek I would be happy to shadow as I am familiar with the trail and lead it during CM2010.

As for Saturday I am just going with the flow....name your trail.:thumb:

RockRunner
02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Steve when are you planning to go to moab? I was thinking about leaving thursday morning picking up my tires in montrose and heading out there.

FJBRADY
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Steve when are you planning to go to moab? I was thinking about leaving thursday morning picking up my tires in montrose and heading out there.

Thursday Mid morning, arriving to camp 5ish.

Inukshuk
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I'll probably head out after work - 5ish. Looking forward to the desert....

JadeRunner
03-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Shucks. I can't make this one again. Thanks for the commitment Steve. Have fun.

leiniesred
03-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I'll be leaving from work on Thursday afternoon. I'll catch up to you guys at area BFE.

Romer
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't get back to Denver till about 10PM on the 17th from a business trip. Have to decide if I want to drive out Friday AM, likely won't be coming.

bh4rnnr
03-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I'll be leaving from work on Thursday afternoon. I'll catch up to you guys at area BFE.

I'll be leaving Denver about the same time if you want to drive out together.

:beer:

leiniesred
03-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Sounds good, Perry. Our trucks probably cruise at about the same speed.

303 803 4848

kd0fds monitoring 146.460 whenever I'm in the truck. I'll also try to stay on the colorado connection repeaters.

CB Channel 4

stephen@rudygeek.com

leiniesred
03-03-2011, 11:21 AM
From Moab:

Go South on Hwy 191 Approx 13 miles. Just after the uphill passing lane comes to an end, take the first left (this comes quickly, be prepared). Follow the maintained dirt road and signs for about 3 miles to the cleared parking area on the left. http://www.areabfe.com/location/

After you turn in under the AREA BFE sign, veer "driver" a bit to find the ramp that leads down to the valley where Cruise Moab was centered last year. You should be able to see some Toyotas or fires by then. I imagine we'll be camped either in the valley or on the ridge to the east of the first valley.

Approximate GPS coordinates to Area BFE gate:
N38 24.1999' W109 24.5073'

Inukshuk
03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Is there an overall plan? Who is going? What trails?

leiniesred
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
The overall plan: Hmm: Arrive at Area BFE.

0800 Friday morning head out from Area BFE to teach/learn trails in small groups to maximize coverage. Most groups will probably be able to cover 1 to 2 trails over the day.

Encourage folks to record on GPS, paper, or at least mentally note the line up area, plans on good places to stop for lunch, how to tell if you are on schedule. Example: "On Golden spike, you should be stopping for lunch around 12:30 at the overlook. You should be to the golden crack by 3:00." Take note of any "bail out" routes for breakdowns or emergencies.

Relax and reconvene for dinner or post dinner around the campfire to discuss issues related to being a trail leader/gunner.
1: Discuss past trail leader challenges and concerns and share ideas on how to overcome the challenges and concerns.
2: Discuss universal spotting hand signals.

Saturday:

Go run more trails in small groups! Trail runs north of town may need to be on the far side of the colorado bridge before 0800 to avoid the runners. The runners will go North out of town, then turn right and go upstream along the Colorado River. I don't think we're planning on running any trails upstream this year so that might not be an issue.

Repeat the relax and discuss campfire meeting. Sunday morning, I would like to hit some of the optional trails we are going to use for rain-out trails and potential trails for 2012. these trails are all easy and NE of Moab. This is "on the way home." for most of the rising sun members.

That's about all I have planned so far. I am certainly open to additional ideas. I don't know exactly which trails. I'll have a much better idea of whom I would like to see on which trails after Tuesday of next week. Basically all of the trails near moab that we usually run, plus 7 mile rim and maybe the rain-out trails like top of the world.

This is also a great chance for the volunteers to run some trails in "fun sized" groups instead of the lengthy wagontrains they will be guiding during Cruise Moab.

think of it as "old time hockey; right coach?" style trail running.

RockRunner
03-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a plan to me.

Old40Dog
03-05-2011, 12:30 AM

I'll probably head out after work - 5ish. Looking forward to the desert....

Can't leave before 3 PM Thursday. Maybe I can tag with one of you guys. Daniel, can you make it out closer to 4PM? Maybe the 80's should hang together (my wife is allowing me to use her 80 for this trip) and let those mini guys to themselves? :hill:

bh4rnnr
03-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Can't leave before 3 PM Thursday. Maybe I can tag with one of you guys. Daniel, can you make it out closer to 4PM? Maybe the 80's should hang together (my wife is allowing me to use her 80 for this trip) and let those mini guys to themselves? :hill:

You'll probably pass us anyway.

Inukshuk
03-05-2011, 05:38 PM

I'm flexible and always prefer company on the drive.

I spent some time today cleaning up the garage and getting the camping gear ready (since I am away next weekend).

This trip will be the debut of a new addition to my rig (actually two since I have new tires too) that has never before been seen in the 80 community.....

Plan sounds good too.

I'm always down for some trails on the way home Sunday.

Corbet
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
This trip will be the debut of a new addition to my rig (actually two since I have new tires too) that has never before been seen in the 80 community.....

Do tell...

Trapper50cal
03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down, Corbet....you need to "debut" something...:rolleyes:

Corbet
03-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down, Corbet....you need to "debut" something...:rolleyes:

Patience Grasshopper

Inukshuk
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Patience Grasshopper

he, he, he. Yup.

Do tell...

Wait for it......

Wait for it......

Wait for it......

Corbet
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Boy, i'd suck if we both came up with the same thing..... What are the chances?

farnhamstj
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Anyone bringing their kids? I'm thinking about bringing the kids, but think it will only be if other kids are going. I know they will be cooperative if they have friends to play with. If it's just mine, I'll leave them at home with the wife and earn a few demerits.

Corbet
03-06-2011, 08:51 PM
This will be Bridger's first camping trip. He is 17 months now.

Air Randy
03-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Anyone bringing their kids? I'm thinking about bringing the kids, but think it will only be if other kids are going. I know they will be cooperative if they have friends to play with. If it's just mine, I'll leave them at home with the wife and earn a few demerits.

Do your kids like to sit around the camp fire at night and drink whiskey? We usually get pretty childish about 1/2 way through the bottle :D

JadeRunner
03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I'll run Cliff Hanger and Kane creek with ya Fri. We should be able to knock those out in 3/4 a day. Kane Creek is pretty quick. Did it in about 2 hours one day. Baja'd the bottom stretch.

Friday 3/18 Pre-Run trails.

I will be running Cliff Hanger and Kane Creek back to back on Friday if anyone wants to plan on joining me.

Looking to lead others on Cliff Hanger as I am training for that trail.....If anyone wants to learn Kane Creek I would be happy to shadow as I am familiar with the trail and lead it during CM2010.

As for Saturday I am just going with the flow....name your trail.:thumb:

RockRunner
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
So you got it all worked out Scott? Glad to see you can make it.

FJBRADY
03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I'll run Cliff Hanger and Kane creek with ya Fri. We should be able to knock those out in 3/4 a day. Kane Creek is pretty quick. Did it in about 2 hours one day. Baja'd the bottom stretch.

That's a good day right there.

I agree we blew through KC last prerun with 5-6 trucks no problemo and it dumps you out at BFE:thumb:

nakman
03-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Saturday:

...The runners will go North out of town, then turn right and go upstream along the Colorado River...

Actually the opposite. The runners meet in town at 08:00, where they get on shuttle buses. The buses then drive 11 miles up the canyon, 128, towards Onion Creek.. where they start running back towards town. By 11:00 the early runners are hitting town, by noon it's pretty busy between the bridge and Moab Cyclery.. it all clears out by 3:00 or so. Your only real potential for delay is if you want to drive through town between 10:00 and 2:00...

I'll talk to you guys on the radio, that's as close as I'll get to the prerun this year. :thumb:

Old40Dog
03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
You'll probably pass us anyway.

I'm flexible and always prefer company on the drive. Plan sounds good too. I'm always down for some trails on the way home Sunday.

I'll shoot for meeting up at your place Daniel around 3:30 PM Thursday already gassed up and ready to roll. :bolt: We'll see if we can catch Stephen & Perry. :eek:

Inukshuk
03-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Actually the opposite. The runners meet in town at 08:00, where they get on shuttle buses. The buses then drive 11 miles up the canyon, 128, towards Onion Creek.. where they start running back towards town. By 11:00 the early runners are hitting town, by noon it's pretty busy between the bridge and Moab Cyclery.. it all clears out by 3:00 or so. Your only real potential for delay is if you want to drive through town between 10:00 and 2:00.

From: http://www.moabhalfmarathon.org/halfmarathon/index.cfm

Moab Marathon - Saturday March 19, 2011
Half Marathon Start: 10:00 am
Five Mile Start: 9:30 am

Half Marathon Start shuttle vehicles load between 7:30 and 8:15 am on the south side of Swanny City Park along Park Drive. Five Mile Start shuttle vehicles load between 7:30 AM and 8:15 AM in front of the Helen M. Knight School located at 400 N and 100 W, adjacent to the finish line.

The Half Marathon course starts approximately 11 miles up Hwy 128 from Moab, just after Take Out Beach on the Colorado River. The course follows the river to Hwy 191, then turns east and heads to the finish at Swanny City Park in downtown Moab. The Five Mile course follows the last 5 miles of the Half Marathon course; the two races share a finish line.

Hwy 128-from Hwy 191 to mile marker 12-is closed to traffic from 8 am to 1 pm.
Runners still on Hwy 128 after 12:30 pm are required to catch a ride in the sweep vehicle.

timmbuck2
03-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Rudy, I am unfortunately OUT for this weekend. Work will keep me out of town until Friday, and we are moving to our new house in Golden in 2 weeks so we are swamped. Sorry man...see you in April. :)

rover67
03-16-2011, 04:20 PM
You guys have fun, learn a lot and be safe!

I'll be rebuilding the tranny and T case in the 60!