PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to introduce myself!

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself on here! My name is Coe Guthrie and I'm from the Durango, CO area. I was introduced to Rising Sun buy a couple of club members who had replied to a thread of mine on IH8MUD. (SubZali and Rover67) and they told me a little about the club and also told me to contact Corbet down in this corner of the state. I have been PMing back and forth with him, and have learned a little more about the club and local runs. Looking forward to getting to wheel with him locally!:D

Here's a pic to go with the namehttp://forum.ih8mud.com/members/twoturtlesracing-albums-ol-cruiser-picture14477-la-plata-mountains-hesperus-colorado.jpg

I've been a 'Cruiser and Toyota fan all of my life- I think I rode in a FJ40 that my Dad was test driving when I was about four, and never forgot that the back seats faced the sides instead of the front like the numerous jeeps my Dad had owned. The memory stuck, and I have been looking at, admiring, and wanting to own one ever since. Finally, about a year and a half ago, after owning a couple of other toyota 4x4s, the dream of owning a 40 series became reality when I went down to Arizona to pick up my first 'Cruiser. Anyway, not to :blah: :if your interested in more history and what I'm doing with it; as well as my plans for it, here's a link to my build thread on 'Mud: Big Muddy's buildup (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/362869-big-muddys-buildup.html)

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys better, hopefully doing lots of four-wheeling with other 'Cruiser heads and learning a lot along the way! :thumb:

Poser shot!:hill:http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/twoturtlesracing-albums-album-2-picture16758-flexin-farmington.jpg :cheers:

subzali
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Welcome Coe! (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14938)

Come to Moab if you can during Cruise Moab! That's where most folks from the club are going to be all at one time! Even if you're not registered you can do outlaw runs with several other folks or ride along with someone! :thumb:

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Matt! Also thanks for the welcoming thread! You beat me to it!

Rock Dog
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks Matt! Also thanks for the welcoming thread! You beat me to it!

Welcome Coe!,
Are you planning on coming out to Cruise Moab this year?
Corbet can give you the lowdown as he is part of the committee... There you will get to meet cruiser heads from all across the country :D:D

corsair23
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Nice 40 :thumb:

MDH33
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Nice 40 :thumb:

What he said. :thumb: And welcome.

You might get in touch with the Bookcliff Cruisers too. They're out of Grand Junction and probably down in your area fairly often.

Air Randy
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Welcome and nice looking rig! Be sure and get that "extra" thing installed before Cruise Moab, you'll appreciate the lower gearing even with an H41.

FYI on Craigslist there is a complete 1985 FJ60 front axle for sale in Colorado Springs for $300. That would take care of your disc brake and large pattern knuckle needs.

Also my .02 from a comment made to you on your MUD build thread: Don't install a spool in the front axle. It is too easy to get bound up and break knuckles & birfs that way especially when backing up. Yes, you can get out and unlock your hubs when needed but it's a pain. If you get lazy you'll break something, plus you don't need a front locker all of the time anyways.

If you can, save up and put an ARB in the rear instead of a Lock-Right. The LR works fine offroad but the torque steer and clunking really goofs up the on-pavement handling. I actually just took a LR out of the rear of my 40 and put in an ARB and it drives sooooo much better.

subzali
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
True. When I broke my rear pinion in Moab I drove home with an open diff, and it was SO NICE. I had forgotten how nice it was, but promptly shoved my LR back in the rear diff as I was buttoning it back up. And it's hard to argue with for the money.

But someday I'm going to have selectable lockers in my FJ40, though I don't think I'll be going ARB :thumb:

PhatFJ
01-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome Coe!! Nice 40! I like the flex. Hope you can make Moab, it will be great to meet you..

Brian :)

Romer
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Welcome

Corbet
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Great intro Coe.

Looking forward to seeing you in Moab. You don't need the crawl box to have a good time. The trails you registered for will be a great intro to Moab. If you want something harder later in the week we can probably move you up a notch.:thumb:

RockRunner
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Welcome Coe, I like your screen name and your rig. Hopefully we'll get to wheel together this year.

TIMZTOY
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
welcome coe. hope to see you in moab.

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome! And yes, I have made my reservations for CM '11! Looking forward to meeting each of you there! I'm in campsite 82 and welcome each and every one of you to come and say hello!:cheers:

Air Randy: Thanks for the FYI on the 60 axle! I've got finish installing all the new toys and pay for any other neccessities and then see where the 'Cruiser budget is, but definitely want to do that mod on the front. I know where a disc front and rear axle out of 40 are that I can have for about the same price, but sounds like I need to do some research into the advantages of the larger knuckles of 60's and Mini trucks...:thumb:

SubZali and Air Randy- I'm in total agreement about not spooling the front. Just asking for trouble... I'll probably do an Aussie ASAP but then save for an ARB for the front, and then an ARB for the back. Always thought that would be about perfect...

Another one!:D
http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/twoturtlesracing-albums-album-2-picture17519-getting-vert.jpg

RLMS
01-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Thats a great pic! Welcome to the club!

Justin

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Thats a great pic! Welcome to the club!

Justin

Thanks Justin! I'll call you next week! :thumb:

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Great intro Coe.

Looking forward to seeing you in Moab. You don't need the crawl box to have a good time. The trails you registered for will be a great intro to Moab. If you want something harder later in the week we can probably move you up a notch.:thumb:

Thanks man!:D

Dr. Schlegs
01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
:welcome: Nice 40!!!!!

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Thank you sir! :)

Air Randy
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=TwoTurtlesRacing;173670]I need to do some research into the advantages of the larger knuckles of 60's and Mini trucks...:thumb:QUOTE]

Whether it is mini truck, FJ40 or FJ60, all of the knuckle patterns are the same (large) as long as they are disc brake units.

Uncle Ben
01-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Whether it is mini truck, FJ40 or FJ60, all of the knuckle patterns are the same (large) as long as they are disc brake units.

Oops, you forgot that prior to 1979 the pattern and stud size is the smaller 11mm same as drum brake size. From 1979 and up they are the same large pattern 12mm stud pattern. Disc's started in 1976 on all Toyotas.

DanS
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Oops, you forgot that prior to 1979 the pattern and stud size is the smaller 11mm same as drum brake size. From 1979 and up they are the same large pattern 12mm stud pattern. Disc's started in 1976 on all Toyotas.

To be accurate, discs started being an option in 1976, they were not standard, or even necessarily options in many world markets even through 1984. There were drum axles that had large pattern knuckles too.

Easy way to know if it originally had the large pattern knuckle from the outside is that the change to the large pattern coincided with the change to the square bezel.

For my money, I'd greatly discount the small pattern knuckles. I have had more problems with those studs pulling loose during assembly than I can count. The large pattern knuckles can get the nice torx head studs, which are WAY easier to torque correctly, IMHO.

If you are anal retentive and don't want to have the "cut off" steering arm on the DS knuckle, then the 60 series setup is the way to go. Plus, the mini truck axle probably doesn't have the vented rotor, which certainly looks cooler.

Dan

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Saved me from doing research! :thumb:

farnhamstj
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Welcome. Nice 40.

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Thank you- Thank you kindly!

Air Randy
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Yeah, what he said :D

subzali
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Coe, I just watched your video link in your sig line - is your engine really that noisy or is it just the camera? Sounds like either your valves are way out of adjustment and your muffler is fried/leaking or you got rocks in your engine!

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
It's a little noisy. Perhaps amplified by the camera a little. My muffler is shot, but I adjusted the valves not that long ago so they shouldn't be that bad :confused:...

TwoTurtlesRacing
01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Here's another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZKjMwWFoy4 Without being in the little canyon-just to give you a different sounding experience... Does sound like it's got rocks in it... Don't imagine my new toy is going to sound quite like that...:D