PDA

View Full Version : Vail, Camp Hale Area 7/22,23,24

farnhamstj
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Last year we did Holy Cross, McAlisters, Wearymans, Lime Creek, Shrine Pass and more. Family friendly:D

See post 56 for map to campsite. !!!!Different from Last Year!!!!

Friday, Italian Pot luck

Sat, Meat and Bacon Pot Luck

Bring shovel and Chainsaw if you have them, that way we won't need them

Groucho
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Bitchin!

I love it. Did you get the group CG reserved or is it already spoken for like 3 summers from now?

Romer
01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for posting it up and doing the planning

I had a lot of fun last year on this trip

84cruzer
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I would choose this over the FJ summit 2011!! :hill:

farnhamstj
01-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Looked into it today. East Fork group campsite is already booked. Looks like we will be dispursed camping again this year.

Groucho
01-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Looked into it today. East Fork group campsite is already booked. Looks like we will be dispursed camping again this year.

I think it's permanently booked (LOL). I tried two years in a row to get it reserved for the following years, and it was a no-go. Popular place. Would be great to have as a base camp for your run.

nakman
01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Was that spot we were in last year dispursed camping? I thought that was perfect.. would be happy with that same sight again. :beer2:

Jacket
01-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Was that spot we were in last year dispursed camping? I thought that was perfect.. would be happy with that same sight again. :beer2:

I concur.

Old40Dog
01-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Farnham,

Camping at the same spot at last year would be just fine with us. We've put it on our calander.

RockRunner
01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Maybe, not so sure of the future that far away.:( If we can we will.

bh4rnnr
01-23-2011, 03:38 PM
In:cool:

:beer:

60wag
01-24-2011, 07:44 AM
That was a decent site even though it took too long for the morning sun to hit our side of the valley. I'd be up for it again this year although I'll likely bring two wheeled RV as well.

SRT08BUS
01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm in 4sures on this one!

Caribou Sandstorm
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
Brandon, the FJSummit is the same weekend, July 20-24th.

I'm just sayin..

nakman
01-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Brandon, the FJSummit is the same weekend, July 20-24th.

I'm just sayin..

And you won't have an FJ Cruiser. :D just sayin.. :bolt:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I know today yes, tomorrow who knows...

Actually, just might be getting our LC back from the FIL, so the FJC is off the hot seat.. I just put it back together and it is ready for the season!

Sorry for the Hijack Farnham

TIMZTOY
01-30-2011, 12:49 AM
im intreaged.. ill have to check my schedual

kurtnkegger
03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Hello everyone, I'm not a rising sun club member, but I'm wondering if it was OK to tag along? I have a 77 FJ40 that likes to get out occasionally.

MDH33
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Hello everyone, I'm not a rising sun club member, but I'm wondering if it was OK to tag along? I have a 77 FJ40 that likes to get out occasionally.

Welcome! You certainly can come. We always encourage folks to attend runs with the club before joining. How else would you know if you want to become a member, right? And more 40's on runs is always good mojo. :thumb:

spcruiser
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Not members but my family and I would like drive up from Durango to join you for the weekend.
We tried coming last year but had to cancel, wife said to mark the calender.

1loudLX
03-16-2011, 11:35 PM
SO down. Havent even read the thread yet.

Bighead
03-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Looks like it will be a good time. I do like that area a lot.

billb596
05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Never wheeled in this part of the world so I'm not sure what size group your looking for. Would a few of us from Bookcliff Cruisers on the other side of the mountain be able to join in on this?

Had a great time at CM11 and would love to meet up with you all again.

Bill Baker
Book Cliff Cruisers

Kenon698
05-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Looking forward to it!!

nakman
05-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Never wheeled in this part of the world so I'm not sure what size group your looking for. Would a few of us from Bookcliff Cruisers on the other side of the mountain be able to join in on this?

Bill Baker
Book Cliff Cruisers

Absolutely.. camp itself has lots of kids, kites, frisbees etc. so only requirement is any people or dogs you bring need to be good with kids. In the day last year we split up into two groups, one did the more difficult Holy Cross, the other did some easier passes around the area. Camp Hale is a great base camp with lots of options for day trips.

Inukshuk
05-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Bill Baker
Book Cliff Cruisers

Be there!

Rock Dog
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
planning on making it if i don't have to go to a wedding in Utah....

PhatFJ
05-13-2011, 11:52 AM
We will put this on our calendar!! :)

farnhamstj
06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
MVUM came out for White river nat forest. Shows Lime creek and Wearyman's as closed to motor travel. Rumor is it doesn't go into effect until 2012, but we'll see. It could be your last opportunity to run these trails, or it could be too late and you've missed out. I'll keep everyone posted as we get closer. There are some other trails in the area that are interesting too.

Karst8835
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
I will try to make it.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
So are you solid then on the dates?? How is the snow up there?

I am doing my last FJSummit Tour the 20-24th, so probably will miss this year's Camp Hale..

Jacket
06-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Looks like I'll have to miss this year as well. We'll be in Michigan that weekend.

nakman
06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
We're still planning on it... all other weekends are booked for us in both directions, so it's 22-24 or nothing for us.

wesintl
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
where is the dispersed camping spot?

nakman
06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
where is the dispersed camping spot?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=156083&postcount=74

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Sounds good, save us a camp spot for 2012!

fubuki
06-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I think I might be down for this.

bh4rnnr
06-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Looks like I'll have to miss this year as well. We'll be in Michigan that weekend.

:(

farnhamstj
06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
July 22-25 is firm for this. I've done some scouting. The Campsite will change slightly from last year as they have closed that spot to camping. I found a nice place about 3/4 mile further north. There is a good bit of snow but temps have been in the 80's lately. This weekend is as much about the camping and hanging out as it is about wheeling. I'll post up directions to the campsite as we get closer.

Romer
06-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks Farnham.

nakman
06-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Further north.. does that mean closer to Perry's waterfall? :perry:

SRT08BUS
06-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I'll be bowing out of this one as I will be going to the FJC Summit, but will be doing this next year (hopefully around the same time) for the start of my FJC Summit trip.....have fun!!!

bh4rnnr
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Further north.. does that mean closer to Perry's waterfall? :perry:

Well there goes the Camp Hale Run.....:eek:

farnhamstj
06-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Further away from the waterfall. But I will make an effort to bring a group there this year.

Jacket
07-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Upon further review....my flight is supposed to land at 10:30 Saturday morning, so I think I'll try to roll on up Saturday afternoon in time for happy hour and some Sunday wheelin'. Just me though - the rest of my crew will still be on the lake.

DaveInDenver
07-05-2011, 11:19 AM
FWIW, we were up in the Camp Hale area this weekend.

Starting from the Pando TH, the whole length of Resolution Rd (FS702) to the FS751 junction was dry (very dry, very dusty). Large snow field a couple of hundred feet up FS702 beyond the junction prevents vehicles any further towards Ptarmigan Pass from south. Even the motorcycles were too sketched to try, the snow field is pretty long. This will have melted back enough for two-wheeled vehicles to start working by next weekend is my guess.

Continuing on Resolution Mt Rd (FS751), large snow field about 500 feet up the trail. Vehicle impassable at this point and is a few feet deep still. We were on MTBs and made it past on the thin snow at the S-SW edge. This is the highest point that previous hut users could drive, their vehicles (one a Subaru Outback) were parked here when we passed. This will prevent any motorized traffic for a while yet, at least a couple weeks before it's melted back that even the edge of the road will show through. Saw a couple of attempts at it, bumper deep ruts that are maybe half way to ground. There are no good winch points on the other side, so opening it will be shovels and many, many runs at it.

Another large snow field about 1/4 mile beyond, also would be impassable to vehicles. This one would have totally prevented any motorized traffic on Saturday but Monday had melted back enough that a motorcycle could conceivably sneak by on the road's edge for most of it. We walked over the middle, it is a few feet deep in the middle. I post holed two steps to my thigh with snow still underfoot. It is very wet with run-off under, so it'll start collapsing soon.

Came across nothing significant between the second snow field and the Fowler-Hilliard spur. One large snow field just beyond the junction at the snowmobile boundary (we shoveled an 18" wide path through the deepest part Sunday morning and it was down mostly down to muddy snow on Monday morning) and many small snow fields on the two-track leading to the hut and many muddy and soupy spots the whole way. It was mid 40s overnight and 70s during the day at the hut (11,500'). The fields near the hut melted back about a foot or two on the edges during the day Sunday, it was sunny and actually 'felt' hot during the day.

Almost zero snow found below 11,000', a handful of very small patches up to 11,250' only in very shaded spots. Large snow fields all were at or above 11,250'. There were plenty of them all over and lots of remaining snow fields around the hut. There was a group of ATV riders at the hut Saturday night, which came up from the north I think. Probably Wearyman Creek Rd (FS747). Also apparently the McAllister Gulch (jeep) trail was passable to ATVs, saw a few of them on top of Resolution Mt. From what we saw, far too many ATVs are driving around snow fields on the soft ground and, worse, the tundra. They are driving in some cases right over fallen "No Motorized Vehicles" signs. Literally, straddling them with tires on each side. Jackasses.

Another group at the hut this weekend hiked over from Shine Mt Inn via (mostly) the winter route over Ptarmigan Pass. They had snowshoes and sounded like they needed them about half the time during walk over. Took them about 7 hours via foot.

farnhamstj
07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the update. I believe Shrine pass is still closed at this time. 705(wurts ditch) is almost passable, one drift about 30' long and 2' deep.

DaveInDenver
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the update. I believe Shrine pass is still closed at this time. 705(wurts ditch) is almost passable, one drift about 30' long and 2' deep.
That was what I heard, but the hiking party said the gate was open but you meet a wall of snow not far up the road. They parked on Vail Pass someplace.

bh4rnnr
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM

That was what I heard, but the hiking party said the gate was open but you meet a wall of snow not far up the road. They parked on Vail Pass someplace.

Was on Shrine yesterday. Crested the pass from Vail Pass. Didnt get all the way down. I turned around as I was annoyed with a dog owner letting his dog run the pass (cruising along in his vehicle) while he was a 100 or so yards in front of the tired dog.

Still a lot of snow up there but seems to be melting steadly. Have a feeling Shrine is going to be blooming in a few weeks.

Realy want to make the Camp Hale run, but need to keep focus on putting $ away for new tires/ alignment etc...

nakman
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Realy want to make the Camp Hale run, but need to keep focus on putting $ away for new tires/ alignment etc...

Perry you're welcome to barnacle off of us for the weekend, send me a PM or email or something..

kurtnkegger
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM
My Wife and I will be in Leadville that weekend. Thought we would drop over Tennessee Pass to Camp Hale for Saturdays run. Could you post the meeting time and place so we could join in??

Thanks,

Kurt

Jacket
07-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Are you thinking similar routes to last year, or are there new trails in the forecast? I think we did McCallister and Wearymans on Saturday, and a quick loop through Lime Creek on Sunday.

I might not make it up until later on Saturday, so I'd like to do something fun on Sunday if others are interested and extend that day a bit.

nakman
07-13-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm up for whatever on Sunday, keeping in mind I'll be pulling a camper and maybe an extra kid.. but I'll go with the flow. I thought McCallister and Wearymans were awesome last year so would do those again on Saturday, or something else, whatever..

and despite what you may have read in Toyota Trails, I am not the leader here.. Farnham's the man! :bowdown:

Perry. :rant:

:) :lmao:

bh4rnnr
07-13-2011, 11:42 AM
and despite what you may have read in Toyota Trails, I am not the leader here.. Farnham's the man! :bowdown:

Perry. :rant:

:) :lmao:

:doh:

farnhamstj
07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
No worries, I like to fly below the radar anyway. Campsite Location has become Wurtz ditch rd #705. formally No Name rd. It is about a mile North of Camp hale on Hwy 24. South of Minturn. Road is on the rt.(west) Turn off pavement. Drive 1/4 mile. Camp on the left (south) side of road. This is dispursed camping and there are no facilities. Please plan accordingly. Nearest gas is Minturn, aproximatly 14 miles away, but a slow 14 miles. I have spoken to the Forest Service and everything we ran last year is still open, but there is snow and possible down trees. Bring Shovels and chainsaw. I'm confidant in our ability to get through. I'll scout them next week and give you a better report as I know more. I'll also post up better directions to camp with pictures.

Friday night: Italian Pot luck
Saturday night: Meat and Bacon Potluck

farnhamstj
07-13-2011, 07:44 PM
39*27'50" 106*20'15"

Inukshuk
07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
39*27'50" 106*20'15"

Can you put that into the Google maps format? (find it on Earth, right click directions to here and it will give you the numbers)

Inukshuk
07-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Google 39.4641265275 -106.34586455
Looks like a wide open spot

Thanks Farnham!

Romer
07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Looking like I can make it

nakman
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Here is another set of directions http://www.vailvalleylifestyle.com/nonamerd4wd.php

looks like Wurtz Ditch is a run in itself.. easy with one difficult section? sounds good to me. :) or are they talking about Holy Cross :confused:

jonharis
07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Book Cliff Cruisers would like to extend a big thank you for the invitation to this years event. We currently have 3 vehicles attending, A 40, 80 and 100, so it should be a good mix. It will be great to see all you good folks that I had an opportunity to meet at CM. Please let me know if there is anything specifically that we can help you with!!!

BCC Attendies

Bill
80 Series

Jonathan and Tiffany
100 Series

Galen & Linda
40 Series

farnhamstj
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Glad you can make it. We'll see you there. Bring anything you want to share. and a shovel and chainsaw, and a personal portable toilet.

Tim. That is the correct write up. There is now a FS sign 705 at the intersection at hwy 24. The difficult part is not that difficult, though I wouldn't pull my camper through there unless I really had to. Not subaru Grade over the difficult part. Would be a cool night run if the sky is clear.

I haven't heard if a group is gonna do Holy Cross. I do not intend to. It is very near our campsite for anyone interested. I suggest getting an early start to avoid as much of the traffic as possible on that trail.

nakman
07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Alright cool Farnham, we'll see you late Friday (have to work). Yeah I don't really want to do Holy Cross either, would rather explore and see pretty stuff. :Princess:

And Jon, welcome to the forum here! and to camp.. :cheers: :camping:

Old40Dog
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Farnham,

We're going to head up Thursday after work. We'll be looking for something to run Friday if anyone else is around that early.

I'll have the '92-80 with the M416 Rep. We took it out last weekend over Weston Pass, Lost Canyon, the West side of Mosquito Pass (still snowed in about 400 yards from the summit on the East Side) and Birdseye Gulch on the way back down. All work well so we're looking forward to some more expeditions.

CardinalFJ60
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
we're the midst of getting our basement ready for remodel...But I need to GET OUT. If I can swing it, I'm wanting to do a day run.

can I assume I can catch someone on the repeater? I think you can hit the Leadville repeater pretty well from Camp Hale.

jonharis
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
We're going to head up Thursday after work. We'll be looking for something to run Friday if anyone else is around that early.

Bill and Galen will be there Thursday night for sure. I'm going to try to but can't tell what my work week will look like yet.

1loudLX
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm waiting on parts for my mountain bike. If I dont get it put back together to ride this weekend, I'll be there

nuclearlemon
07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
hhhhhmmmmm, get much needed stuff done here, go on the 80 rescue, or camp hale....too many decisions!!!!!

jonharis
07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm waiting on parts for my mountain bike. If I dont get it put back together to ride this weekend, I'll be there

Do both!!!

Romer
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
things have lined up so I can do this run. Looking forward to it. After getting real sick on Thursday at CM11 and having to come home early, I need a fix.

I did Holy Cross last year and was frustrated with all the waiting due to the drunks and other vehicles. We had to wait close to two hours to go in and another two hours in the same spot to get out. Fun trail, but waiting that long really makes it a pain and the day suck. Looking to do something more moderate with out the wait time this year.

1loudLX
07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Maybe we need TheFuzz over on 'mud to bring his expedition to clear the trail :D.

Jon, I thought about doing both. I've had enough of a headache with my bike that as soon as the parts are in I'm going riding. I'll keep saturday open though.

nakman
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Loud just toss the bike, parts, and tools in the 100 and go camping. You'll have no shortage of peanut gallery support, and probably every tool imaginable at the ready. Do you need a stand? I could bring one.. ;) you could definitely get some wheeling and a bike ride in on the same day.

And Cardinal I'll listen for you on the Connection, man. not sure if Vail or Leadville comes in best, may be able to hit them both.. so hit whichever if you don't hear anyone on simplex.

farnhamstj
07-20-2011, 09:52 AM
My camper is already at the site. Silver fleetwood camper. I've got work until about noon on Friday and should be at camp by 1:00. A few suggested trails for Friday are Wurtz ditch(FR705), Slide lake(FR145) Old Tennessee Pass (FR102,101), Ranch Creek rd (FR755). Theses are moderate trails in the area that we will not be running Sat or Sunday.

farnhamstj
07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Scouted the routes yesterday. no down trees. no impassible snow. Water and lots of it. Also, morning temperature. 46 degrees, bring warm clothes.

jonharis
07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Leaving in a couple of hours. Here is a topo screenshot for any stragglers.

Romer
07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Sarah may be getting off work early and coming. She would likely ride with me. My departure time depends what she decides

I will likely come home tomorrow night rather than camping Saturday as well

Romer
07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
should be leaving Denver by 3, haveto stop for gas and food and be on our way

jonharis
07-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Tiff, Ash, Kenna, Kes and I had a great time this weekend. It was great to meet some new Rising Sun Members. Special thanks goes out to Farnham and Dee for their hospitality and great guiding. We will remember this one for a long time.

I've uploaded some initial photos below. Enjoy.

http://photobucket.com/camphale2011

Hulk
09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Forest Service is eliminating disbursed camping at Camp Hale. See this thread for details. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16491) :mad:

I think we need to start a letter-writing campaign. This is complete BS.