PDA

View Full Version : Spot Personal Locator Beacon

rover67
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
So this may not be a broad enough topic to start a thread on, but I was thinking about doing some longer solo stuff this summer and the personal Locator Beacons got my attention.

Normally I am big minimalist (hiking, biking) and only carry what I have to have, so there has historically been little space for stuff like GPS's and PLB's. I have been a map and compass type of person for years and have gotten myself out of pretty decent jams using only those tools. I am thinking it might be silly not to have one at this point though since as I get older I wonder about what stuff "might" happen..

So, here's my question....

Is the Spot PLB *the* one to get or are there others to consider? They still seem kinda big for what they do.

Inukshuk
01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I don't know, but Perry has experience with these....:lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao: :perry: :lmao:
:D

MDH33
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
The Spot beacon is simple and works really well. Depending on the "plan" you purchase, you can send personalized messages, send "I'm ok" signals, "I need help", "call 911" etc. and it will pinpoint your location and send an email to persons you choose, or to 911 if needed.

I use one while working with the forest service and it's really handy for check-in's when on multi-day outings.

Also, did you see this thread?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14832&highlight=spot

AxleIke
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I have one, and it is great. The "I'm Ok" and "Check In" stuff is awesome, as both can be personalized and you can make different profiles online. I have one for hunting, one for hiking/biking/whatnot, and one for wheeling. They are really small now too, mine is maybe 2"x2"x1".

I do know they work really well. A friend of my brother has one and he fell while rock climbing in backcountry utah. Used the SOS function (SAR gets called) and was getting medical attention within 2 hours.

My plan covers the SAR costs, plus up to 100k of extraneous costs, such as chopper rides. I really like having the extra security.

rover67
01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
The Spot beacon is simple and works really well. Depending on the "plan" you purchase, you can send personalized messages, send "I'm ok" signals, "I need help", "call 911" etc. and it will pinpoint your location and send an email to persons you choose, or to 911 if needed.

I use one while working with the forest service and it's really handy for check-in's when on multi-day outings.

Also, did you see this thread?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14832&highlight=spot

Oh yeah, check that out... didn't come up in my search for some reason...

I have one, and it is great. The "I'm Ok" and "Check In" stuff is awesome, as both can be personalized and you can make different profiles online. I have one for hunting, one for hiking/biking/whatnot, and one for wheeling. They are really small now too, mine is maybe 2"x2"x1".

I do know they work really well. A friend of my brother has one and he fell while rock climbing in backcountry utah. Used the SOS function (SAR gets called) and was getting medical attention within 2 hours.

My plan covers the SAR costs, plus up to 100k of extraneous costs, such as chopper rides. I really like having the extra security.

I actually just noticed that they do have a smaller one now. I think that's going to be what I get. Seems pretty logical.

Thanks for the input guys.

Corbet
01-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Off topic a little but I wonder it this would be a worthy replacement at some point for the Sat Phone rentals every year at CM?

MDH33
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Off topic a little but I wonder it this would be a worthy replacement at some point for the Sat Phone rentals every year at CM?

Way cheaper and they work better compared to the sat phones I've used as far as getting a signal. The drawback is not being able to relay detailed patient info in an emergency. They're ideal for solo hikers because if you're injured, all you need to do is hit a button rather than dial/talk/etc.

farnhamstj
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
My buddy got a spot for a motorcycle trip to Patagonia. They are super popular with the adventure motorcycle crowd. Lets loved ones know where you are and you are safe.

rover67
01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
welp, just got one.

http://www.rei.com/product/784892

Thanks for all the input!

MDH33
01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
welp, just got one.

http://www.rei.com/product/784892

Thanks for all the input!

Good choice. That's the same unit I used all summer.

You're aware of the subscription fee?

--Requires $99 annual subscription--

rover67
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Good choice. That's the same unit I used all summer.

You're aware of the subscription fee?

--Requires $99 annual subscription--

Yup.

that's done now too.