PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Intake manifold

DenCo40
01-25-2011, 09:16 AM
I am making a fluid heat riser for my 40 and wonder if anyone in Denver that might have their intake manifold off or one just laying around. I need to trace the bottom so I can fab up my riser plate. Mine has too much stuff in the way...
Thanks

RicardoJM
01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I recently went through this and found there are two styles (http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/heatriser.htm) of intake manifold bottoms. If you have the 2F type bottom, pm Corsair23 to see if he still has a fluid heat riser kit that you might be able to use for the template. If you have the 1F bottom, I have an intake manifold that you can use to do the template - that said the bottom of the 1F intake manifold does not have a "big cavity" that would work very well with a flat plate.

I have the 1F style and did not feel comfortable with a flat plate, so I ended up searching through old Classifieds on MUD and found a fluid heat riser that never sold, the guy still had it and was happy to sell it to me.

I ran without a the fluid heat riser for a few weeks and got it installed just before this last snap of single digit temperatures. It makes a huge difference.

Without the fluid heat riser on a cold start in low temperatures, it took a long time (10-15 minutes) of fully choked running before the engine would operate well - with the fluid heat riser, after a minute the manifold is warm enough that acceleration is smooth and the choke can be backed off. If you are running a header, I highly recommend installing a fluid heat riser:D.

DenCo40
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
2F is what I am looking for. I know its the way to go for sure. The cold weather start ups are absolutely ridiculous on mine. It's even cold blooded on cool summer mornings.

MDH33
01-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm running a header on my 2F with no heat riser and never thought it was bad. Pull the choke, pump the pedal a few times and crank it over. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, but it always starts and I usually can push the choke back to 1/2 almost right away. Choke all open within a few minutes of driving.

Does the heat riser really make that much difference??

nattybumppo
01-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I have a spare manifold from a 75 2f you can borrow for your fab project if you want it. I just need to take it off the engine it is on.

DenCo40
01-27-2011, 09:18 PM
No need to go thru any trouble. I was just hoping someone in the area would have one laying around.