PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Ranger District Meeting 1/27/11

rover67
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to give a quick report on the Boulder Ranger District (BRD) meeting I attended tonight.

The next Meeting is going to be March 31st.

In general, the BRD is getting geared up for the season, so they haven't gotten in a position to be able to commit to any work dates or other trail maintenance related stuff yet. We reviewed some old business and also covered a few new items.

Some points that were discussed:

- Jenny Creek - I reported that we had done our cleanup run and it was appreciated. I had also sent pictures of the group that did the cleanup to a few folks in the meeting including a few landowners and they all liked getting them and thought we did a great job. Kudos to those that helped out! It seems like this year the BRD will again be short on time, so we already started talking about a proposed Jenny Creek work day. Right now it is tentatively in July. I will work to get it figured out by our next meeting in March. Cat Luna (the main person we work with there) said that she wanted to have it figured out by April, but I want to make sure we get on the list soon to avoid any issues so that's why I am shooting for the march meeting. I know this year we will need to do post and cable work so we will need them there. last year we got away with a simple cleanup since the post and cable was OK so we did not need a ranger there.

- Middle St. Vrain - Adam Mehlberg who heads up the BRD meetings, and also worked with the BRD to do the corduroy road work which was featured in High Trails said they were shooting to open the road by July 18th.

- Ice Spider & Fireman's Ladder - Two new roads that have not opened yet due to the fact that the post and cable needs to be retrofitted and winch anchors need to be added. The retrofit is due to the fact that wire cable is no longer allowed to be used as a traffic control device in national forests. This only applies to new trails as far as the BRD is concerned, so stuff like Jenny Creek is not affected *right now*. When a solution is defined (which may take a long time) then other trails will be budgeted for retrofit. Knowing how quickly things move with the BRD, this is some time away. It all apparently needs to be inspected by BRD appointed engineers before anything can happen.

- Castle Gulch - Still issues with the connecting route to James Canyon. People I guess continue to use this route when they find themselves at the bottom of the loop and it is really causing some ruckus among the landowners. The Current MVUM shows no connection to James Canyon which is good, but folks still go for it. Please respect the rules if you find yourself in this area. The whole route is under a lot of pressure to be closed from the landowners so lets try to be respectful.

- T-33 Crash site - Last year there was a push to get the sinage redone at the crash site. I have never been up there, so I am not sure what it looks like or even if there is any. It looks like this project will be tabled for this year which will make it the second year in a row.

- Allenspark shooting closure - Apparently there has been another area near Allenspark that has been adopted by shooters near the old closed area. The BRD is doing and Environmental Assessment (EA) to determine what the best course of action is. They want to close the new area down. IT is putting folks on the trails in danger of being hit. There was also discussion of the BRD building a shooting area to help pull the load off of some of the more troubled areas like this one. Again, this is something that would take years if it even gained momentum, but it is at least being discussed.

As a side note, Mike Parish was at the meeting tonight. He's with the Big Horn Jeep Club in Denver. He mentioned that they have received funding to work on the Holy Cross Trail this year. They are going to bring in heavy equipment (helicopters, dozers) and build a footbridge over French Creek, fix the bog after French Creek, and fix the creek itself where it crosses the trail. It sounded like these changes would not affect the creek crossing itself... that'd still be a good obstacle. The foot bridge would cross the creek just upstream of the trail and also serve as a barrier for vehicles. The work is predicted to start after July sometime this summer. Approvals still need to happen, ect. He also gave a shout out to Ige. He mentioned that they'd be looking for help when they define dates.

That is about it.

-Marco

MDH33
01-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks Marco, great report. Glad you were able to attend. :thumb:

corsair23
01-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Marco, great report. Glad you were able to attend. :thumb:

x2 - Thanks for making it to the meeting :thumb:

Eldorado556
01-28-2011, 05:24 AM
- Allenspark shooting closure - Apparently there has been another area near Allenspark that has been adopted by shooters near the old closed area. The BRD is doing and Environmental Assessment (EA) to determine what the best course of action is. They want to close the new area down. IT is putting folks on the trails in danger of being hit. There was also discussion of the BRD building a shooting area to help pull the load off of some of the more troubled areas like this one. Again, this is something that would take years if it even gained momentum, but it is at least being discussed.

I'm assuming this is the area they recently logged just off the Peak to peak. Did they mention the reason for a possible closure? The dump was closed due to it's proximity to homes in the area.

The only reason I could see for it's closure is people trashing the place. I go shooting there and I always police my brass. I bring a trash bag and always end up filling it with shotgun shells and target remnants. Some genius shot up a bunch of tile last summer. That was really fun to pick up.

One weekend I came across a group of kids shooting. I overheard one of them say, "let's set up some bottles". I pointed out to them that a trashed area will get the place shut down just like the dump.

Setting up a good range doesn't require a lot of infrastructure. Some earthwork for a good backstop, maybe put in a covered bench or two.

MDH33
01-28-2011, 02:32 PM
...Did they mention the reason for a possible closure? ...

The only reason I could see for it's closure is people trashing the place. I go shooting there and I always police my brass. I bring a trash bag and always end up filling it with shotgun shells and target remnants. Some genius shot up a bunch of tile last summer. That was really fun to pick up.

Bingo. People trashing areas is more than enough reason for a closure. At the rate areas are getting trashed by irresponsible shooters, there is real a possibility of Forest wide shooting bans, and also closure of trails that access trashed areas.

Thank you for being responsible.

rover67
03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Just bumping this to remind folks that there was no BRD meeting this month so no new minutes....

MDH33
03-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Next meeting is tomorrow, March 31 @ 5pm at the BRD office.

rover67
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I plan on being at the meeting unless anybody else can make it. The meeting is on the same night as the TLCA meeting for me so it tends to get busy.

My goal is to get a date for Jenny Creek set in stone. Any suggestions on when the snow might be cleared enough to do a work party up there?? Is mid July a SAFE bet??