PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Repair

Big-J
01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
I took a rock to the windshield going up to Vail last weekend and got nice little star on it now. :mad: A buddy of mine was telling me about getting a kit from a part store and doing it myself, anyone have any experience doing this? He says it works fine, but I wanted to get some more user feedback.

Corbet
01-28-2011, 10:11 AM
heard of people using super glue to seal up small chips. Put on the chip then scrape with razor blade when dry.

Big-J
01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Ummm, no. I would prefer to doing to right the first time. Super glue may fill a chip, but it's not going to seal the cracks and keep them from spreading.

TIMZTOY
01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
most insurance companys will fix it for free. and most garages/lube shops do it !! they'll cover it for free because its a safty risk, and a whole windshield is much more expensive

call your insurance !
ask if they fix windshields chips for free ( no out of pocket )

subzali
01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
most insurance companys will fix it for free. and most garages/lube shops do it !! they'll cover it for free because its a safty risk, and a whole windshield is much more expensive

call your insurance !
ask if they fix windshields chips for free ( no out of pocket )

x2

CardinalFJ60
01-28-2011, 12:03 PM
definitely get it done 'right' (whatever that means ;) )

quick side note: I had a small chip that like that...neglected it for about a year or more. A couple weekends ago, when it was super cold up near Vail (high of zero) I threw on the defroster....and....BANG!!! a loud crack and now a crack across the entire bottom...then, like 10 seconds later...another loud BANG!. another full-length crack.

cbmontgo
01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I have used the Permatex product from Napa several times and it works great. $ 10 for the "kit". Needs to be smaller than a quarter if I remember correctly.

Big-J
02-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey thanks guys, I called my insurance and they covered it! Also, if anyone is looking for a repair man, I have a guy that will go to you and is pretty good.

rover67
02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah My insurance doesn't cover windshields but it does cover the smaller cracks.

I have also used the permatex product and it works pretty well though.