PDA

View Full Version : Overlanding/Expedition Travel

Inukshuk
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
I have been doing some reading on overlanding/expedition travel. At one extreme its car camping. At the other its a lifetime round the globe. Its what we do on the Outlaw's Run (thanks Perry - Montana this fall!). Its how I like to explore.

Our friend Paul May is in Baja right now: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54974&highlight=baja+equipt on the http://www.expeditionportal.com/ forum

Here is a site form some of his friends here in CO: http://beyondthelane.tv/wordpress/

This is a great Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/landcruising (which I know Uncle Ben likes too)

Caribou Sandstorm
01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Looks like a great trip..

I really want to go there someday soon. I used to drive down there to surf K38 and just past Ensenada.. I have surfed the Island called Todos Santos, which in January the waves can be as big as the North Shore of Hawaii..

You have to take a boat out to the island, they sit and wait for you until you are done. I surfed it in the off season, May-June and it was still over head..the water is so clean and clear down there, you can open your eyes under water..

That was back when we car camped in my VW rabbit diesel and then I upgraded to an Isuzu Trooper...These trips were the inspiration to buy my first VW campervan.

I need to scan in some pics from these old days...

art hog
01-29-2011, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Chris sandstorm FJ;174569]Looks like a great trip..

I really want to go there someday soon. I used to drive down there to surf K38 and just past Ensenada.. I have surfed the Island called Todos Santos, which in January the waves can be as big as the North Shore of Hawaii..

I have many fond memories of Todos Santos. Dove there in the early 70s before it got fished out. Did my first night dive there, got hit in the chest by a white sea bass the size of me. we used to paddle our kayaks out there and camp on the south island. One time I strapped my board to the deck of my kayak and surfed out there. fun place.

Inukshuk
01-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I really want to go there someday soon.

I have been wanting to do this trip for three years. If we do the Outlaws Run to Montana this fall, Baja next spring? Baja is a two week minimum.

Nay
01-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I have been doing some reading on overlanding/expedition travel.

This is a generally painful pursuit when one finds oneself occupying a cubicle or other confinement in daily reality :hill:

CardinalFJ60
01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
This is a generally painful pursuit when one finds oneself occupying a cubicle or other confinement in daily reality :hill:

Guilty as charged.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I have many fond memories of Todos Santos. Dove there in the early 70s before it got fished out. Did my first night dive there, got hit in the chest by a white sea bass the size of me. we used to paddle our kayaks out there and camp on the south island. One time I strapped my board to the deck of my kayak and surfed out there. fun place.

Wow....kayaking all the way out there from Ensenada would scare the crap out of me...That is hands down manly stuff...I don't remember the exact distance from the coast to the island but it was at least a 25 minute dingy ride...

farnhamstj
01-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I shouldn't have looked at Paul's pictures. I've had about enough snow for this season and seeing people on the beach doesn't help.

coax
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
There are many days I keep hitting refresh on expo to see what pops up. I love the trip reports on there. I've done some traveling to south america but hope to one day drive the cruiser all the way down on the pan american. There are soo many cool places along the way to explore. Those baja pics looks pretty outstanding too!

art hog
01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow....kayaking all the way out there from Ensenada would scare the crap out of me...That is hands down manly stuff...I don't remember the exact distance from the coast to the island but it was at least a 25 minute dingy ride...

We left from La Bofadora (SP?), (The blow hole)It is south of Ensenada, paddled north along the coast to, I think the 3 sisters point and then over to the island. It's about 7-10 miles from there. We would stay 3-4 days camped on the N tip of the S island. right at the channel where the BIG waves break. Open ocean paddling is big time fun. especially with a flowing sea.
Staying on topic. Baja is the reason I got my 55. Living in San Diego, just 2 hours from home I was in some awesome spots. Either on the coast or the mountains. I was a support rig for a friend in the Baja 1000. I was stationed just past Mikes sky ranch in case he got stuck in some of the ruff stuff. I had the most capable rig for that area. More fun times

Caribou Sandstorm
01-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I have had a Baja trip on my mind since 2008..The logistics to get there from here seem to be the biggest obsticale..

Would almost need to ship rig to San Diego, fly in, drive for a week down there and then drive straight home over a weekend..

farnhamstj
01-30-2011, 09:11 AM
The logistics to get there from here seem to be the biggest obsticle

:dunno: Maybe if you had something as comfortable as a 100 you could just drive it there?

Inukshuk
01-30-2011, 09:42 AM
:dunno: Maybe if you had something as comfortable as a 100 you could just drive it there?
:lmao::lmao:

I have had a Baja trip on my mind since 2008..The logistics to get there from here seem to be the biggest obsticale..

Would almost need to ship rig to San Diego, fly in, drive for a week down there and then drive straight home over a weekend..

16 hours to the border if you are comin' in hot! So many have already paved the way that I think the only obstacle is scheduling.

Hulk
01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd love to do a Baja trip with our group.

rover67
01-30-2011, 10:07 AM
I'd be down.

Let plan it long term for next summer.

Hulk
01-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Is summer the right time to go to Baja? Maybe it needs to be October 2012 to avoid scorching heat.

rover67
01-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Dunno, Boyd and Cindy Farney would be good to talk to. That's probably a good point, I didn't think about it too much. Boyd and Cindy have come to Moab a few times and are great. They have done Baja a ton and would probably be up for it again. They live in Ca.

Inukshuk
01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Dunno, Boyd and Cindy Farney would be good to talk to. That's probably a good point, I didn't think about it too much. Boyd and Cindy have come to Moab a few times and are great. They have done Baja a ton and would probably be up for it again. They live in Ca.

Perry and I have been talking with them and with Paul May about this for 4 years. Spring and fall are the times to go. We'll start a Baja Trip Planning Member Only Thread later. Lets keep sharing overlanding in general here.

Inukshuk
02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
http://transworldexpedition.com/ written up in the Sunday NY Times, Feb 06, 2011:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/travel/06journeys-cambodia.html

Caribou Sandstorm
02-09-2011, 09:42 PM

just sayin...:D