PDA

View Full Version : Very cold start and battery question

Eldorado556
02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Low last night here in the foothills was -6. Took a little bit of time getting started this morning. What methods are recommended for easy cold starts? this is my first non-FI vehicle so I'm new at this.

My old man used to keep our old Suburban warm by putting a clamp on work light underneath at night with a 60 watt bulb in it. For a quick fix this morning I put a 100 watt bulb under the oil pan for a bit. With full choke and a couple pumps of the gas I was able to get her running.

My battery seems good, but it is 6-7 years old. I will be replacing it with an Optima. I was just wondering which battery to go with. Red top, blue or yellow?

I hear the blue top starting is a good bet. Curious what size will fit, group 31/34, etc?

wesintl
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
block heater and plug it in...

optimas are not high on my list anymore. Check out the diehard, odyssey or deka's

60wag
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
My method with the FJ60 was to give the acelerator pump a couple of squirts to put gas in the intake manifold, then wait 30 seconds or so for some of it to vaporize. After that it would usually light right up on the first crank.

A block heater doesn't hurt either. :)

Eldorado556
02-01-2011, 07:46 AM

optimas are not high on my list anymore. Check out the diehard, odyssey or deka's

Are these orbital batteries?

RicardoJM
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
On cold mornings, the starting procedure on the FJ40 is, full choke, a couple of pumps and turn it over. Let it warm up for a few minutes before driving it off. A couple of years ago it would not start at -6 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8714&highlight=cold+starting+morning), I replaced the battery with a new one and it has always started since. I don't think it will get fired up this morning as HutHut does not have school. I am going to give it a go tomorrow morning as I am curious to see how it does.

Regarding a battery, I have the largest CCA rating from Walmart. It is inexpensive, warrantied and there seems to be a Walmart everywhere.

A block heater would certainly help quite a bit on very cold mornings.

DenCo40
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM

X's 2

Block heaters are the best thing for cold weather as well as a good battery.

(slight hijack) I have been wanting to install a blockheater plug in my FJ40 but haven't found one locally that will work. I know I can get one at SOR for way too much $$ Anyone know where to get one locally? Not NAPA or Checker or Autozone..I've checked..

farnhamstj
02-01-2011, 08:36 AM
I find a nice pat on the dash board and a few kind words to be helpfull. Say something nice things to her. Like, " You're a great truck" or "I'll buy you a new battery next paycheck" or "I'll hand wash you once it's above freezing"

Trucks, have feelings too.

rover67
02-01-2011, 08:50 AM
I have a block heater in the FJ40 (2F) that I got from NAPA. Maybe get them to look one up for a later model truck like an FJ60? I can also try to look for the receipt to pull a PN.

I just looked one up for an 85' FJ60 and came up with this:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=BK_6053250_0170517258&An=599001+101985+50070+2070028

DenCo40
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
I have a block heater in the FJ40 (2F) that I got from NAPA. Maybe get them to look one up for a later model truck like an FJ60? I can also try to look for the receipt to pull a PN.

I just looked one up for an 85' FJ60 and came up with this:
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=BK_6053250_0170517258&An=599001+101985+50070+2070028

I called and they have it. Thanks! This'll be interesting- Installing a block heater on a day like this.

Jacket
02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Block heaters are nice, but I don't think it's consistently cold enough down here to justify one. A good and healthy battery, plus the choke/2 pump/sweet nothings/crank/warm for a few minutes method others have mentioned should work 99.9% of the time.

Cheeseman
02-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I learned many years ago living in Northern Wisconsin to take the battery inside on these below zero cold nights. Fortunately the FJ62 battery is simple to get out. But a warm battery has never let me down.

Did this also when my wife and I were dating. She thought I was nuts until the next morning it started easy.

wesintl
02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Block heaters are nice, but I don't think it's consistently cold enough down here to justify one. A good and healthy battery, plus the choke/2 pump/sweet nothings/crank/warm for a few minutes method others have mentioned should work 99.9% of the time.

True. but they are only like $40 and easy as pie to install on the f/2f block. We waste more money on stuff that's like thousands of dollars that get used just as often...

Bruce Miller
02-01-2011, 11:14 AM
For really cold starts, I hold the glow plug switch on for a few extra seconds. Works every time.

My vote for best battery is the Interstate Workhorse.

rover67
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
True. but they are only like $40 and easy as pie to install on the f/2f block. We waste more money on stuff that's like thousands of dollars that get used just as often...

I agree, that's why I threw one in the 40. Now when I know it's going to be cold I just plug it in and it has heat right when I start it.

Eldorado556
02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Good suggestions on the heater. :thumb:

Who locally sells anything but the Optima batteries.

I found this one on Amazon but no luck locally.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009H516C/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Seldom Seen
02-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I learned many years ago living in Northern Wisconsin to take the battery inside on these below zero cold nights. Fortunately the FJ62 battery is simple to get out. But a warm battery has never let me down.

Did the same when I lived in the Adirondacks. The NAPAs, up there, sold quick disconnect battery clamps that made for easy in and out. I think I've seen the same type of clamps sold at the boat store for trolling motors. I would also tuck a 100w droplight between the carb and valve cover and then cover with a blanket. Worked like a champ.

In Alaska, we used battery heaters in addition to "headbolt heaters"(block heaters). They were a silicone pad with a 110v cord. Pull the batt, slap down the heater, reinsall the batt, insulate the batt, plug it in over night and you were good to go all winter.

When I was stationed in Fairbanks I had a young trooper, in my squad, that would get up way to early every am and start a charcoal briquette fire in an old turkey roasting pan. After the briquettes burned down to a red glow, he would slide the pan under the engine for a few hours. Never burned his car up and was never late for work. Didn't impressed me as being a definitive solution but convinced me enough to add a bag of briquettes and a turkey roaster to my survival supplies that I carried in my truck.

corsair23
02-01-2011, 05:37 PM
My battery seems good, but it is 6-7 years old. I will be replacing it with an Optima. I was just wondering which battery to go with. Red top, blue or yellow?

I hear the blue top starting is a good bet. Curious what size will fit, group 31/34, etc?

I've sworn off Optimas

Here is a good thread on batteries:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=260

Check out post #46 for a locally available battery

RockRunner
02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I don't have a carb anymore but I did have some troubles this morning. I would have plugged my truck in but I had it in the street so I did not do it. I had some real trouble starting it and nearly thought it was going to wear the batteries down, I have a Dodge diesel.

Like some have said a block heater works well. Put it on a timer since you don't need to have it on all night. Set it to come on about 2 hours before you need to take off. A battery blanket works like a charm too. My truck came with the winter package so it had them already but you can buy them separately also. A heated battery blanket is the best, it plugs in too and keeps your battery(s) nice and warm. If you use one of those most people keep them on all night.

Get the best battery you can afford and fit and keep it charged. You can add a quick disconnect trickle charger, not sure if it would keep up with the cold but ...............

DenCo40
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I called and they have it. Thanks! This'll be interesting- Installing a block heater on a day like this.

They had it okay. I went and picked it up got it home and it was the wrong size. Seems like the one for the 2f had been discontinued at NAPA. Oh well. I picked up a magnetic one instead. The engine starts up first time every time but the cold heater is what i am not fond of. Maybe this little magnetic block heater will help.

Thread topic: Batteries. I left the Optima camp a few years back and started using DEKA. So far so good-- and they aren't outrageously expensive.

rover67
02-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Dang sorry about that man....

I feel like I messed you up..

I just looked and on my receipt is says BK 605-3033...

that's 1 15/16 diameter or about 49mm

The one I looked up in my post I just punched in 85' FJ60...

You probably got the freeze plug out, drained everything and stuck it in there only to find it was too small...

DenCo40
02-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Dang sorry about that man....

I feel like I messed you up..

I just looked and on my receipt is says BK 605-3033...

that's 1 15/16 diameter or about 49mm

The one I looked up in my post I just punched in 85' FJ60...

You probably got the freeze plug out, drained everything and stuck it in there only to find it was too small...

No problem at all. I looked at it close first and realized that I knew it might not be the right size. It was well worth the shot. The little magnetic one I picked up worked like a charm though. Jumped in this morning and even had some heat in about 5 minutes. Good thing it doesn't get that cold here in Denver too often.

:)

rover67
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
No problem at all. I looked at it close first and realized that I knew it might not be the right size. It was well worth the shot. The little magnetic one I picked up worked like a charm though. Jumped in this morning and even had some heat in about 5 minutes. Good thing it doesn't get that cold here in Denver too often.

:)

Cool, glad you didn't get it all taken apart...

farnhamstj
02-02-2011, 03:17 PM
-18 when I started mine this morning. Started, then stalled. Then started and good for the drive to drop kids at school. I'm amazed how few kids had hats on.

Eldorado556
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Well my old battery gave up the ghost. Got 2 good cranks out of it before it crapped out.

Picked up the Deka clone from Checker.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OSSU/3478EXTAGM.oap?redirectkeyword=battery&pt=03321&ppt=C0005

Good to be running again.

Rock Dog
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
The re-badged Deka from O'reilly is $139.00 (plus $12.00 core).

When i called Hensley today the Deka 9A34M (marine/rv intimidator) is $141.00 ...
This works better for my FJ40's dual battery setup , as the Dual terminals are on top closer to the center of the battery than the regular 9A78DT dual terminal (the re-badged Deka from O'reilly). The hold down on this fj40 is angle iron around the outside of the batteries, so the closer to the middle the terminals, the better.....

The catch is they will not be in stock until next week:(

In the FZJ80 i have been real happy with the Sears PM1 Group 31 Platinum DieHard Marine Battery... as indicated earlier it is a tight squeeze, and i had to fab up my own hold down, but the 1150 CCA is awsome!! :thumb:

DenCo40
02-03-2011, 07:56 AM
I have dual Dekas they work pretty good. There is a pic of it in this thread: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=260&page=7

Rzeppa
02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
My 71 FJ40 has been starting right up all week. Granted, she's garaged at night so morning starts don't count, but after being parked outdoors all day at work the past couple days in VERY subzero up here in Conifer, no problems cranking or catching.

FWIW, the Optima red top that's in there right now is 10 years old and shows no signs of wearing out. Just sayin'

rover67
02-03-2011, 10:50 AM
My 71 FJ40 has been starting right up all week. Granted, she's garaged at night so morning starts don't count, but after being parked outdoors all day at work the past couple days in VERY subzero up here in Conifer, no problems cranking or catching.

FWIW, the Optima red top that's in there right now is 10 years old and shows no signs of wearing out. Just sayin'

Yeah the yellow top that starts my 60 every time is 11 years old now. I think they don't make them like they used to.

Rock Dog
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah the yellow top that starts my 60 every time is 11 years old now. I think they don't make them like they used to.

My first Red Top lasted 10 years, including being used for occasional winching... The second lasted 8 years, and was still going strong when i gave it away to a friend (got a new one). The new one only lasted 3 years and died.... When they moved the manufacturing off shore, quality seems to have followed....

Rzeppa
02-03-2011, 02:02 PM
When I was stationed in Fairbanks I had a young trooper, in my squad, that would get up way to early every am and start a charcoal briquette fire in an old turkey roasting pan. After the briquettes burned down to a red glow, he would slide the pan under the engine for a few hours. Never burned his car up and was never late for work. Didn't impressed me as being a definitive solution but convinced me enough to add a bag of briquettes and a turkey roaster to my survival supplies that I carried in my truck.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/2011/0202/26718280_640X480.jpg

From the channel 7 news web site: Note: Charcoal Does Not Make Good Engine Heater
Summit Landfill Truck Catches Fire (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26718221/detail.html)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hulk
02-09-2011, 12:23 AM
The battery on my 1981 FJ40 finally died this morning. It took a jump start to get it going so I could drive it to work (in a foot of snow), then another jump start to get it started so I could come home. I drove directly to O'Reilly and purchased a new battery for $90, took it home, and the old Cruiser is running like a champ again. The old battery was an Optima blem that had to be at least 8 years old -- it was actually made in Colorado, not Mexico. It was kind of sad that it died.

Did I get the rebadged Deka or something else?

Rezarf
02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
My 40 wouldn't go this morning... first time ever! :sad:

I could get it to crank but it wouldn't catch and fire. It was outside and has been for a week. Then I smelled something cooking :eek: only to find a wire shorting out on the heater motor.

Threw in the towel and took the Sequoia in today. Gonna' try again when the warmer 50* degree's hits later this week.