PDA

View Full Version : WTB feeler - FJ40 radiator

subzali
02-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey all,

Back in '05 (I think), my radiator was leaking. So I took it to a shop and had it boiled and brazed. Worked great since then. But now it's started leaking again around the top tank (2 places I think), and one of the "straps" I guess became unbrazed from the top tank. I'm debating getting it boiled/rodded/brazed again or getting a working used one from someone else (or both) or getting a new one ($$). Does anybody have any suggestions for shops to repair a radiator?

Also, the u-frame that bolts to the frame has a bent stud. For those that know, there are two studs that are pressed into the frame and stick down through the frame to bolt the u-frame to the frame. So since one is bent I can't just replace it; I'd like to get a replacement u-frame.

This is just a feeler to see if anybody locally has these pieces (used working radiator and/or u-frame), or if I need to be looking elsewhere. Thanks.

rover67
02-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey all,

Back in '05 (I think), my radiator was leaking. So I took it to a shop and had it boiled and brazed. Worked great since then. But now it's started leaking again around the top tank (2 places I think), and one of the "straps" I guess became unbrazed from the top tank. I'm debating getting it boiled/rodded/brazed again or getting a working used one from someone else (or both) or getting a new one ($$). Does anybody have any suggestions for shops to repair a radiator?

Also, the u-frame that bolts to the frame has a bent stud. For those that know, there are two studs that are pressed into the frame and stick down through the frame to bolt the u-frame to the frame. So since one is bent I can't just replace it; I'd like to get a replacement u-frame.

This is just a feeler to see if anybody locally has these pieces (used working radiator and/or u-frame), or if I need to be looking elsewhere. Thanks.

those bolts are easy to replace, just grind out the old one and put in new ones. tack weld.

I could tack it for you if you got it to me.

I ordered my new radiator for the 40 from the radiator barn. I like them.

Jacket
02-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I ordered my new radiator for the 40 from the radiator barn.

Same here (after dropping $450 on an OEM radiator for the 80 I felt Ok with saving a bit on the 40....). I had my original radiator serviced by Arvada Radiator, but it started leaking again after about a year and my temps were still all over the place. Since I replaced the thermostat and put a new radiator in the 40, it's been running consistent: warms up nicely in the winter, and doesn't get too hot in the summer.

RicardoJM
02-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I would also encourage you to skip the repair route and go straight to buy a new radiator from the Radiator Barn. It is more $$ than a repair, but it is new and you won't have to deal with it again for quite some time.

I had Florida Radiator (1573 S. Broadway) inspect my heater cores. I had Gold Star Radiator (696 S. Broadway) install a drain extension on my radiator. Both shops did the work and were reasonable on price.

I like Marco's approach for dealing with the bolts. I know he is up north, but I'm sure one of the "welders" on the south side might be willing to do the tack welds.

PhatFJ
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Matt, I would be happy to tack those bolts in for you!! you know where I live if you want to drop by, or, you could bring it to the meeting tomorrow and I could take care of it... It's the least I could do for you!! Let me know, I will talk to you soon... :thumb:

74fj40
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
I think I paid 180 for a four row radiator from radiator barn back in 05. No problems yet!

wesintl
02-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I think i have a radiator for you..

subzali
02-01-2011, 10:52 AM
A 3 row on radiator barn is $189, a 4 row is $166...hmmm. That's really not much more than having it repaired, seems like it was $90-$100 last time I did it. I'll have to think about this and see if I can break away a little love $$ for the 40...

:banghead: :banghead:

RicardoJM
02-01-2011, 11:09 AM
A 3 row on radiator barn is $189, a 4 row is $166...hmmm. That's really not much more than having it repaired, seems like it was $90-$100

Exactly.

Show your 40 the luv - she's worth it :D

subzali
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Exactly.

Show your 40 the luv - she's worth it :D

So's my Tundra and my wife's Corolla - and they're what get us to work every morning!

Decisions! :banghead: :banghead:

rover67
02-01-2011, 04:36 PM
that's why you need a new radiator....

you haven't been showing the 40 the love lately.

Why not just get some stuff and braze it back up yourself? Worth an experiment anyways..

you might not even have to pull it.

subzali
02-01-2011, 04:47 PM
that's why you need a new radiator....

you haven't been showing the 40 the love lately.

Why not just get some stuff and braze it back up yourself? Worth an experiment anyways..

you might not even have to pull it.

Now that's a thought; seeing as it otherwise seems to be working fine...

Air Randy
02-02-2011, 12:04 AM
If all else fails I have a radiator, mount & shroud out of a 1980 FJ40 in excellent condition. Let me know if you need it.