PDA

View Full Version : Good tire shop?

Eldorado556
02-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Been thinking about a set of 31" Goodyear Duratrac's for my 60. I was thinking they would be a good alternative to the BFG AT's.

Searching prices online I can get a set of 4 from 4 Wheel parts for $615. Anyone have experience with the shop in Westminster?

Discount tire wants $680 with a $40 rebate, plus an additional $85 if I want the replacement certificates. So a total of $110 more from Discount. :(

I've never had any major tire failures with my trucks. I don't do any horrendous off roading. Worst thing has been nails and screws in my tires.

With that big of a price difference I could get a matching spare from 4 Wheel Parts.

Any tire shops you'd recommend in the boulder area? Things like free rotations are always nice to get.

Romer
02-05-2011, 08:21 AM
I have always found Discount, Big-o and the place at Oxford and Sante Fe will negotiate.

I typically buy from Discount since they are close by for rotations. Not all of them will negotiate, but most will.

I suggest you call the places close by and say I have a price for X from 4wheel parts, can you beat that. Calling is better because once your teher they think they can keep you.

rover67
02-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah, i've been to discount in boulder a few times and negotiated. I bring them my total price on tires from the cheapest place I can find with mounting fees from Costco (12 bucks each last time I checked, check again) tier disposal, and shipping and they always meet it at least.

Having them do everything makes it easier.

I have never gotten the free replacement... but that's just me.

Inukshuk
02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
We have two recent extensive threads on tire selections and sources.

I got he best price with a combo of purchase at "discount tire direct online" and install at my local discount tire shop.

MDH33
02-05-2011, 08:55 AM
With that big of a price difference I could get a matching spare from 4 Wheel Parts.

Always a good idea to have a matched spare, and 60's usually have a matched wheel, so you can rotate your spare through and get some extra mileage.

Eldorado556
02-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Always a good idea to have a matched spare, and 60's usually have a matched wheel, so you can rotate your spare through and get some extra mileage.

I have these ugly ass rims. Not sure what backspacing is. Spare is a stock rim. I'd dig a set of stocks or perhaps these (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Rock-Crawler-Series-98-Flat-Black-Monster-Mod-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pl=101830&t_pn=PCW98-5883F)since they are cheap enough. Would the 3.75 backspacing work?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0385.jpg

MDH33
02-05-2011, 09:11 AM
I have these ugly ass rims. Not sure what backspacing is. Spare is a stock rim. I'd dig a set of stocks or perhaps these (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Rock-Crawler-Series-98-Flat-Black-Monster-Mod-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pl=101830&t_pn=PCW98-5883F)since they are cheap enough. Would the 3.75 backspacing work?

I bet you can score a set of stock rims if you come down to the rally this summer. Always lots of good parts at the swap meet.

Not sure about the backspacing question.

DanS
02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
You can get a set of the stock chrome wheels from Jim's for $20 each (I think that's what I paid for them) if you need some quickly. I'm pretty sure I recently counted a full set in there.

Should be about $75 to get the set blasted, then $15 worth of paint, so it wouldn't be too much to make them all kinds of pretty($100+$75+$15=$190). Even less if you take the time to sand them by hand, or decide to stick with the chrome.

I bought my tires for the 60 recently from 4 Wheel Parts in Westminster. They bargained with me, to a price of about $300 less than Discount was willing to do. They were also flexible enough that I was able to have my sister drop off the wheels to get the tires mounted, so that I could just swing by and get the wheels on real quick (I got super busy at work, so it was complicated).

I always get the tire warranty, but I've never had to use it, so I can't comment on the differences between 4wheel and Discount there, but a friend had a tire need replacement within a month or so from Discount, and they were pretty good to him, but could have been better (they couldn't find a replacement 33x9.50 tire anywhere, but wouldn't cut him a deal to replace all 4 other tires either--they ended up giving him a 33x10.50 instead).

Dan

60wag
02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I like to support the local shops because I've gotten some great service and some decent prices. I like Barnsley and Tire Source in Boulder, although the last balance job at Tire Source wasn't so great.

FJCDan
02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
I purchased my BFG MT KM2's from 4-wheel parts, at the time they had great rebate deal and I was able to get a 5th tire for the price of 4. Also they have no questions asked tire replacement offer. they also do free balance and tire rotation.

Old40Dog
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
I have always found Discount, Big-o and the place at Oxford and Sante Fe will negotiate.

Call Joel at Performance Wheel & Tire. Tell him your with Rising Sun. RS members get Dealer pricing on everything they sell (Oxford & Santa Fe).

Eldorado556
02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
You can get a set of the stock chrome wheels from Jim's for $20 each (I think that's what I paid for them) if you need some quickly. I'm pretty sure I recently counted a full set in there.

Should be about $75 to get the set blasted, then $15 worth of paint, so it wouldn't be too much to make them all kinds of pretty($100+$75+$15=$190). Even less if you take the time to sand them by hand, or decide to stick with the chrome.

That would work. I'll have to give Jim's a call. Who would you recommend for sandblasting?

Phrog
02-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I've always had a good experience at Barnsley's in Boulder. It's an old-fashioned, family-run place - not a chain. Prices comparable to Discount
Tire, free lifetime rotation/balance, good advice, quick service, no annoying upselling. Highly recommended.

-Phrog

DanS
02-06-2011, 02:55 PM
That would work. I'll have to give Jim's a call. Who would you recommend for sandblasting?

I used A-1 in Golden. My bill was $75 to put a good scuff on all 5 chrome wheels. Took them about a week.

Dan