View Full Version : Wha did Perry, er Marco do today

bh4rnnr
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
A productive day:cool:

:beer:

MDH33
02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Awesome guys! :thumb:

So how did it turn out? All ready to go, or is there more to do?

rover67
02-07-2011, 08:42 AM
I got all of the old repairs cut out, fixed all the bent parts, and replaced the buggered up nuts on that right front control arm. I still need to beef it up a little bit with some more welding and plates, but so far i guess you could say it is back to stock with good repairs.

The trail repairs were actually pretty decent. If it hadn't been for the fact that the mounting points for the A-Arm weren't straight anymore I might have just beefed it up a bit. I remember it not looking as good when we did it on Wipe Out Hill, but I guess it never looks good when you are actually doing it. Plus it was hard to see the penetration on the welds since I was welding blind a lot, and I couldn't see under them. When I cut them all out it was easy to see that I got good penetration the first time and that there were no gaps in the welds. The welder Bill has worked really well.

While I was working on the front, Perry pulled the rear diff to have a look at the locker. When he was rolling it around on the bench a ring gear tooth fell out of it. I guess it was a tooth from however many years ago when the ring gear broke because it all looked fin in there this time. We were both shocked that the loose tooth hadn't gotten chewed up in there.

Anyways, it should be good to go with just a little bit more work. I'll probably beef up the drivers side control arm mounting points before being done with it. Perry will be back on the road in no time.

Jacket
02-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Glad to hear you guys made good progress.

So you are saying the tooth is likely leftover from a previous RG failure? No problems with the current setup?

rover67
02-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Glad to hear you guys made good progress.

So you are saying the tooth is likely leftover from a previous RG failure? No problems with the current setup?

That's what it looked like. The current setup looked good.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Wow you are a magician and talented! But we already knew that! Perry is lucky to have such a great mechanic!

corsair23
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Wow you are a magician and talented! But we already knew that! Perry is lucky to have such a great mechanic!

x2 - Good job Marco :thumb:

rover67
02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
It's not that hard, just cut out old stuff and measure and weld in new :)

Inukshuk
02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
You should do some Mad Max tube work to that rig while you are in there. How about that over-cab roof rack? More tie-down loops for his bed.

wesintl
02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
you guys are the only ones I know welding on IFS ;) :lmao: I was hoping that was a cutting torch not a mig welder :eek:

rover67
02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
you guys are the only ones I know welding on IFS ;) :lmao: I was hoping that was a cutting torch not a mig welder :eek:

Yeah, I know I know, this is the easiest way to get Perry back in action though. A few repairs and we're done..

that mad max thing looks crazy..

corsair23
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
It's not that hard, just cut out old stuff and measure and weld in new :)

I'm a nuts and bolts sort of guy...Hand me a welder and I'd probably burn the house down :eek:

wesintl
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I know I know, this is the easiest way to get Perry back in action though. A few repairs and we're done..

just giving you guys a hard time, I'm happy perry will be back on the expedition road :thumb:

bh4rnnr
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
just giving you guys a hard time, I'm happy perry will be back on the expedition road :thumb:

Your not the only one Wes! After Sat night/ Sunday, i'm super pumped about CM:cool:;).

There's a wash i'm thinking about hitting Friday (before the dinner) sometime, it was way to much fun when Paul May and Scott Brady did it.

And Marco:bowdown:

Uncle Ben
02-07-2011, 09:06 PM

:thumb::thumb::bowdown::perry:

RockRunner
02-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Nice work Marco! Now you have no excuses Perry.

Hulk
02-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Putting Perry back on the road earns Marco some serious bragging rights.

Rock Dog
02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Putting Perry back on the road earns Marco some serious bragging rights.

The awsome work Marco did on Wipe out Hill to get Perry out and home already earned his some serious bragging rights in my book.. He is simply an awsome welder! :bowdown::bowdown:

AxleIke
02-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Weren't you just giving me a hard time about torching mine?:D:D

AxleIke
02-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Great work as always Marco. You da man for helping a guy out! Congrats on being ready to hit the open road again Perry!

rover67
02-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Awee.. it's not that big of a deal guys, really :)

And yes, I know you guys are just ribbing, but I bet more than a few folks opened the thread and expected the total opposite of what we're doing! :D

wesintl
02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Weren't you just giving me a hard time about torching mine?:D:D

yeah but you said way back when that IFS would take you everywhere :eek:

rover67
02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
yeah but you said way back when that IFS would take you everywhere :eek:

I seem to remember the same comment :D

AxleIke
02-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I seem to remember saying that. And it took me all the places I wanted to go with it.

But, after doing that, I want to do more, and not have to deal with the issues IFS gave me. Thus the project.

bh4rnnr
02-08-2011, 06:59 PM
I just want to "Come in Hot"! again.

Soon enough, no thanks to Marco:cool:.

Rock Dog
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I just want to "Come in Hot"! again.

Soon enough, no thanks to Marco:cool:.

maybe keep the racing 80's through the sand washes down a notch this time... i do however share your a love for baja-ing trails and coming in hot...

bh4rnnr
02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
maybe keep the racing 80's through the sand washes down a notch this time... i do however share your a love for baja-ing trails and coming in hot...

Well dont instagate me next time:p:.

And i'm sooooooo over this cold weather, how long till wheelin/camping season?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Well dont instagate me next time:p:.

And i'm sooooooo over this cold weather, how long till wheelin/camping season?

x2 I am ready to hit the trails...Perry so your in for Pre Trail Leader training and a bit of "coming in hot" on the kokopelli??? There are a bunch of fun baja sections we can hit.

Red_Chili
02-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Note to self: if Perry is seen in mirror... DIVE FOR THE DITCH! !! :lmao:

Just don't tell Hants. He'll beat me. Wanna race?

bh4rnnr
02-10-2011, 08:07 AM
x2 I am ready to hit the trails...Perry so your in for Pre Trail Leader training and a bit of "coming in hot" on the kokopelli??? There are a bunch of fun baja sections we can hit.

Yes!

Note to self: if Perry is seen in mirror... DIVE FOR THE DITCH! !! :lmao:

Just don't tell Hants. He'll beat me. Wanna race?

:hill:

rover67
02-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Well, it doesn't look too terribly pretty, but it's pretty bomber compared to how it was. Perry will have to test it now.

The totally black side is the one that Perry ripped off. It got a new nut under the front bolt and a little bracing.

The less painted side is the drivers side. I added just a few small plates to beef it up a touch. Not much, but I think it'll help. I think the passenger side cracked then broke because the front bolt was loose. The old front nut had a lot of rubbing on it. That's why I think it'll be OK as long as it is back to stock or a little bit better. I also seam welded both sides anywhere there wasn't a complete weld.

rover67
02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Here's the gear tooth....

So, it's about ready to go. Just have to replace the Idler arm and she should be ready.

Also a reminder for Perry..... Get the CV Axles re-booted. Hi speed 4WD action is gonna kill them once the grease slings out of them..

bh4rnnr
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Well, it doesn't look too terribly pretty, but it's pretty bomber compared to how it was. Perry will have to test it now.

The totally black side is the one that Perry ripped off. It got a new nut under the front bolt and a little bracing.

The less painted side is the drivers side. I added just a few small plates to beef it up a touch. Not much, but I think it'll help. I think the passenger side cracked then broke because the front bolt was loose. The old front nut had a lot of rubbing on it. That's why I think it'll be OK as long as it is back to stock or a little bit better. I also seam welded both sides anywhere there wasn't a complete weld.

Here's the gear tooth....

So, it's about ready to go. Just have to replace the Idler arm and she should be ready.

Also a reminder for Perry..... Get the CV Axles re-booted. Hi speed 4WD action is gonna kill them once the grease slings out of them..

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Will look into the axles. Hopefully enough $ to get them done before CM.....

Marco: :bowdown::bowdown:

Caribou Sandstorm
02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
I have some stock FJ front shocks to donate, if they will fit, they are yours...

Hell you can have all the stock FJ suspension, if you want it Perry?

bh4rnnr
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Just got done driving the 4runner home from Marcos, truck drove great:cool:.

Still need to finish up two things, but otherwise ready for Moab:cool::bowdown::cheers:

:beer::beer:

AxleIke
02-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Perry,you can have my CV axles. They are used, but have good boots. Just gotta come up and get em.

Chris, the FJ stuff won't work on this suspension without significant modifications. Perry would have to have new upper a arms fabbed, and upper strut mounts built.

bh4rnnr
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Perry,you can have my CV axles. They are used, but have good boots. Just gotta come up and get em.

Chris, the FJ stuff won't work on this suspension without significant modifications. Perry would have to have new upper a arms fabbed, and upper strut mounts built.

Right on, thanks Isaac! I'll send you a pm when I get dates set to replace them.