Wanna go get it? :D

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=28790&p=342941#p342941

corsair23
02-13-2011, 01:58 AM
That is just weird :confused:

Eldorado556
02-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Crazy. Handicapped plates and all.

I'd really like to hear the story behind this one.

Woodsman
02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
That's exactly the 80 I've been looking for . . . .well, assuming there isn't a frozen or rotting corpse under all the snow inside.

Corbet
02-13-2011, 09:03 AM
That is just weird :confused:

^ x2

wesintl
02-13-2011, 09:41 AM
maybe the gps told them that was the short way to keystone :D

poor ptarmigan :o

coax
02-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Wow those pics are creepy. Bummer of a place to have to abandon a vehicle. Hope they get it figured out. On a positive note you could build a sweet ski jump off that thing!

cbmontgo
02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
That is really crazy.

84cruzer
02-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Where is the road?? Cant make out the last part of the license plate, maybe stolen? Strange for sure. :hill:

MDH33
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Where is the road?? Cant make out the last part of the license plate, maybe stolen? Strange for sure. :hill:

Looks like the switchbacks going to the top before you get to the intersection with redcone. That section is pretty narrow, I bet they slipped off and tried driving back down to the lower switchback and got stuck. That's going to be vandalized in short order. :(

Corbet
02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
That's going to be vandalized in short order. :(

Well probably not until the snow melts. Its more work to get there right now than most vandals will go through.

RockRunner
02-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Bummer for the owner, hopefully all is well and no one got hurt in the process of getting back. I would hope that there was another vehicle with them or more to help.

How hard would it be to retrieve it now? As long as the drifts aren't to bad we should be able to get some small trucks up there to create a "tow chain" of vehicles. Would be an interesting rescue mission.

Corbet
02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I would say impossible without a snow cat. The wind hits the pass hard up high making the snow level look lower than it really is. Lower down on the Summit CO side I'm sure the snow is deep. I've never gone down the east side personally but I'm sure the snow is the same there too.

wesintl
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I really wonder how long it's been there... does the FS have any more info on when it was approximately abandoned?

Woodsman
02-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Maybe next year at this time, you guys will be talking about an abandoned 100 series from Missouri that some Denver dude left up on the pass. :eek:

MDH33
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Well probably not until the snow melts. Its more work to get there right now than most vandals will go through.

Drunks on snowmobiles. :homer:

Corbet
02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Drunks on snowmobiles. :homer:

Maybe but only if they want to drive over all that rock. But yes forgot about them. I don't recall if you can run a sled up Webster though. Last time I toured up there all the slednecks were south of there.

subzali
02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
So apparently that 80 belongs to a neighbor of one of my coworkers :o

Apparently all the authorities have been made aware of the vehicle, and they are just waiting until spring to get it out.

treerootCO
02-14-2011, 09:20 AM
What is the back story? Dead battery, ran out of gas, got tippy and walked?

wesintl
02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
What is the back story?

Ptarmigan wanted to be set free :p:

RockRunner
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
So apparently that 80 belongs to a neighbor of one of my coworkers :o

Apparently all the authorities have been made aware of the vehicle, and they are just waiting until spring to get it out.

You have got to be kidding:eek: I know we have a wide network of Cruiser/Toyota friends but this is freaky:eek:

I can't believe it but then again I am not surprised. Of all the rigs of all the mountains..............we now know who the owner is...........sort of. So spill already, we want to know the whole story and nothing but :p:

subzali
02-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't remember the details, but I think they got off course at some point this fall. They were going to go back up and get it (like the following weekend) but it snowed, so they had to leave it till spring.

RockRunner
02-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Bummer, that is an expensive turn I guess he did not update his GPS..........recalculating:rolleyes:

So after this happened he did not call the "Rising Sun Rescue center":confused: I would think we would have had enough rigs up there to get him out.:confused:

When spring comes and the weather and snow allow does he "have" to use a state or licensed tow/recovery company or can he go up there with some friends and maybe Forest service supervision and retrieve it? I would try to get it ASAP when spring hits to try and safe some of the electronics but I bet it will be trashed inside his truck. Hope his insurance understood the situation since they may have to total it most likely.

Keep us posted, I would be willing to help when the time comes.:thumb:

subzali
02-14-2011, 11:07 AM
I got a little more of the story: I guess this happened back in October. My coworker wasn't sure if something broke, or he slid off the road, or what, but one way or another he got it to a point where he couldn't get out. He was able to make a call to another neighbor to come pick him up, he reported it to the Forest Service etc. He tried contacting a towing company I understand, but was told that it was too late to retrieve it and he would have to wait until spring. As much as I'd like to hope that it will come out okay, you're right it'll probably be totalled, just considering the amount of snow/moisture inside it now.

I bet a group of RS folks could have retrieved it :rolleyes:

RockRunner
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I bet a group of RS folks could have retrieved it :rolleyes:

I agree and with only three cylinders working :D

CBone
02-14-2011, 11:21 AM
it's good to know that he's all right though. People do freaky things in the mountains and I wondered if he capped himself or something up there, so while the rig may be toast, it's good to know he's all right.

FJBRADY
02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
if he capped himself

Yo yo Cbone my shizzle wat up bro

MDH33
02-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I think I see a ticket on the windshield. :hill:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_slCcOxAQ8bQ/TVc_Akmf53I/AAAAAAAACUg/oVerbhVynkc/s720/IMG_2562.JPG

nattybumppo
02-14-2011, 12:05 PM
People do freaky things in the mountains and I wondered if he capped himself or something up there.

That's dark, dude! I thought they just went up there for necking.

corsair23
02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Radar,

You should post up a quick message on the 14ers site to put those guys at ease :D

Bummer about the guy's 80...I'm with others betting that this could have been saved last year before the snow got too bad. Only hope now would be to hike up there, clean as much of the snow out as possible so it doesn't ruin the inside when it starts melting, and hope for the best come spring. Makes me wonder if one of the PS windows got blown out or if just the wind really was able to blow the snow past the weather stripping that much to fill the truck up.

rover67
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
yeah no kidding those guys are working themselves into a frenzy

subzali
02-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Rather than give 3rd hand info, I asked my coworker to post up 2nd hand info to calm them down. I guess he hasn't done it yet. Maybe I'll have to register.

wesintl
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
calm down it's Bear Grylls 80 and he's filming a show. He Killed a sheep up there a month ago and has been wearing the wool to keep warm. He's going to drive it out soon, don't worry. It's one of the easier show's he's filmed. I ran into him in fairplay getting some supplies..

corsair23
02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Nah...If it was Bear Grylls there would be film crews and safety people all around...Plus tents and heaters :D

FJBRADY
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
calm down it's Bear Grylls 80 and he's filming a show. He Killed a sheep up there a month ago and has been wearing the wool to keep warm. He's going to drive it out soon, don't worry. It's one of the easier show's he's filmed. I ran into him in fairplay getting some supplies..

That's good :thumb:

rcor
02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
The story first hand:

I live in Denver and frequently drive up to Vail for work, which was the case early in October. It was a nice warm day and a friend was visiting from Chicago. I decided to drive up 285 to give him a taste of Colorado (he was considering moving here at the time). Having a difficult time saying no to any mountain adventure, I decided to see what condition the trail up through Webster pass was in. Once there I couldnít resist checking to see if the Red Con gate was open. Having done Red Cone 3 or 4 times prior I assumed the gate would be closed this time of year but was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't. Had a full tank and thought why not.

Once we got to the summit I asked my friend to scope out the three descents that drop down to the top of Webster. Mistake #1

(As you've all deducted by the handicap plates I can't move around all that great. Spinal cord injury 10 years ago left me with paralysis and I manage my transportation with wheelchair, crutches, my beloved cruiser and anything else I can strap myself on to for fun)

My friend returns from his recon mission and reported a bit of snow on the trail but nothing the cruiser couldn't easily manage. I take his word for it. Mistake #2

First decent: Dry, no problem.

Second decent: Snow, sliding with little control of speed, only direction (no brakes, low, 1st gear)

I manage to stop 20ft prior to the narrowest section (where death is certain if you slide off to the left) only to find there was a snowdrift 3-4ft high. At this point I realize the magnitude of our problem. As I assume most if not all of you have done this trail you know I have no way of getting back up the hill at this point.

Worth noting that as this whole trip was off the cuff all my recovery gear was left at home (novice mistake for which I'll never forgive myself) and I never checked the various websites for trail conditions.

I tried going slightly off the right side of the trail and immediately started side-sliding down. The rock is so loose that traction is impossible. I realize all is lost. Parked the car where you see it now and fell asleep for the night. Around 1am a buddy shows up to rescue us. The hike down to his car 50 yards below Webster (south side) was a two hour adventure in itself but we managed to get back home around 6am (all three wives pleasantly pissed off).

Woke up a few hours later to try and organize a recovery mission. Rocky Mountain Rescue and the Forrest Service gave me a few names of people that constantly rescue idiots like myself. Everyone turned me down until the following day, which brought with it a massive snowstorm. From that point on nobody was willing to help me out.
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my momís house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made itís way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.

From the beginning I should have hit you guys up for help. Mistake #3

Worth noting that Iíve been an avid 4x4 enthusiast for most my life. Growing up in the mountains I dreamed of one day getting my hands on an FZJ80. After a few Toyotas I finally found her in the fall of 09í with 73,000mi (1993) and pulled the trigger. I was saving up to get her more equipped over this winter and have plenty of adventures in the years to come.

It was painful to see these pictures and now Iím not so sure of what Iím in for when I get her down. Iím committed and will do everything in my power to get her back in form.

So there you have it, first hand. I should of reached out to the Toyota tribe prior, and it fÖ. kills me to read that there was support to get her out before the conditions got to bad. I reach out to you now and hope some of you are in for a recovery mission as soon as the mother nature permits.

Thanks for the concern and sarcasm.

PS. My buddy from Chicago is now a proud resident of Colorado.

FJBRADY
02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
The story first hand:

I live in Denver and frequently drive up to Vail for work, which was the case early in October. It was a nice warm day and a friend was visiting from Chicago. I decided to drive up 285 to give him a taste of Colorado (he was considering moving here at the time). Having a difficult time saying no to any mountain adventure, I decided to see what condition the trail up through Webster pass was in. Once there I couldnít resist checking to see if the Red Con gate was open. Having done Red Cone 3 or 4 times prior I assumed the gate would be closed this time of year but was pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't. Had a full tank and thought why not.

Once we got to the summit I asked my friend to scope out the three descents that drop down to the top of Webster. Mistake #1

(As you've all deducted by the handicap plates I can't move around all that great. Spinal cord injury 10 years ago left me with paralysis and I manage my transportation with wheelchair, crutches, my beloved cruiser and anything else I can strap myself on to for fun)

My friend returns from his recon mission and reported a bit of snow on the trail but nothing the cruiser couldn't easily manage. I take his word for it. Mistake #2

First decent: Dry, no problem.

Second decent: Snow, sliding with little control of speed, only direction (no brakes, low, 1st gear)

I manage to stop 20ft prior to the narrowest section (where death is certain if you slide off to the left) only to find there was a snowdrift 3-4ft high. At this point I realize the magnitude of our problem. As I assume most if not all of you have done this trail you know I have no way of getting back up the hill at this point.

Worth noting that as this whole trip was off the cuff all my recovery gear was left at home (novice mistake for which I'll never forgive myself) and I never checked the various websites for trail conditions.

I tried going slightly off the right side of the trail and immediately started side-sliding down. The rock is so loose that traction is impossible. I realize all is lost. Parked the car where you see it now and fell asleep for the night. Around 1am a buddy shows up to rescue us. The hike down to his car 50 yards below Webster (south side) was a two hour adventure in itself but we managed to get back home around 6am (all three wives pleasantly pissed off).

Woke up a few hours later to try and organize a recovery mission. Rocky Mountain Rescue and the Forrest Service gave me a few names of people that constantly rescue idiots like myself. Everyone turned me down until the following day, which brought with it a massive snowstorm. From that point on nobody was willing to help me out.
Four months later (last night 11:30) the police showed up at my momís house asking for me. Half hour later they call my house in Denver to inquire about my truck which apparently made itís way on to a few websites over the weekend and someone called it in. Being a fan of Rising Sun and i8mud I immediately checked and discovered the fate to date of my beloved cruiser.

From the beginning I should have hit you guys up for help. Mistake #3

Worth noting that Iíve been an avid 4x4 enthusiast for most my life. Growing up in the mountains I dreamed of one day getting my hands on an FZJ80. After a few Toyotas I finally found her in the fall of 09í with 73,000mi (1993) and pulled the trigger. I was saving up to get her more equipped over this winter and have plenty of adventures in the years to come.

It was painful to see these pictures and now Iím not so sure of what Iím in for when I get her down. Iím committed and will do everything in my power to get her back in form.

So there you have it, first hand. I should of reached out to the Toyota tribe prior, and it fÖ. kills me to read that there was support to get her out before the conditions got to bad. I reach out to you now and hope some of you are in for a recovery mission as soon as the mother nature permits.

Thanks for the concern and sarcasm.

PS. My buddy from Chicago is now a proud resident of Colorado.

First of all I am glad you are alright!

Let us know when you want to launch a recovery effort and we will make it happen!

Jacket
02-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Awesome! That will make for a lifelong story. Sounds like a fun spring recovery project.

I can't really tell from the pictures how far from the top of Webster that is? The very top part gets those drifts that last well into the summer. If its lower than that, then there's a chance for a reasonable recovery.

Corbet
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
someone should get up there and try to remove the snow before it all melts inside the truck. Could make the difference come spring.

wesintl
02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
IF anything can survive up there it's a land cruiser :D

Uncle Ben
02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm in! Glad your OK and equally glad you have a great attitude about the situation! Hope the Cruiser stays intact till you (we) can get it out.

wesintl
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I'm in. Let us know when we can go grab it.

treerootCO
02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm in

subzali
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm in for pushing, pulling, digging, winch handling...

maybe we should plan on going up there to clean out the snow from inside before it has a chance to ruin everything?

Hulk
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Rising Sun Rescue Team
I/O: Engaged

Ho boy, here we go!

MDH33
02-14-2011, 05:54 PM

maybe we should plan on going up there to clean out the snow from inside before it has a chance to ruin everything?

I'm up for some hiking/snowshoeing to get there. :thumb:

coax
02-14-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm up for some hiking/snowshoeing to get there. :thumb:

I think you guys hit it on the head; we'd need to get up there and get the snow out before it melts. Given that the cruiser will hold heat, my guess is that snow inside will start melting long before any roads are clear enough to get a rescue team up there. Especially if we get a winter like the last one with lots of warm days and large april snow storms.

Given that, I'm up for a backcountry ski/snowshoe trip, if the avy danger isn't too high. (I've never skied up that way). How hard is it to pull carpet out of an 80? Even doing a good job cleaning out the snow, my guess would be a bunch would still be in there, probably even in some of the places like center console, etc. I'd hate to think of a 60degree interior sitting with wet carpet for a month or something. But if a majority of the snow could be cleaned out in early spring, the wind tends to die down, so maybe that would stack the odds in the favor of less or minimal damage.

Glad everyone made it out ok!

RedCreeper
02-14-2011, 06:09 PM
someone should get up there and try to remove the snow before it all melts inside the truck. Could make the difference come spring.

Beat me to it.

subzali
02-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe we should get a tarp to wrap around it too? Just in case a window is broken or something it should help...

sleeoffroad
02-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Maybe we should get a tarp to wrap around it too? Just in case a window is broken or something it should help...

Don't do a tarp. It will get destroyed and then flap all over the paint and destroy it. Tape it shut with collision repair plastic. Double up the layers to make it stronger.

ianacole
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Anyone have a gas-powered leaf blower? That may help with some of the snow inside.

I'd be willing to help ... it'd give me a chance to try out the new-to-me rig...

rcor
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Thank you all for the support and will send word when the time comes.

In the meantime I agree that getting the snow out before it starts to melt is critical. I'm trying to put together a crew to go up in the next few weeks to clean out the white and do whatever possible to avoid more piling in. Not sure how far up I could get on a snowmobile but I'm trying to get a hold of one so I can participate.

The weather this week is unbeatable so maybe the time is now.

Here's a picture to clear some questions about location (39į31'54.86"N, 105į49'35.34"W). The picture is taken before the last and longest decent that ends right on top of Webster.

Any and all input is accepted and appreciated.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Anyone have a gas-powered leaf blower? That may help with some of the snow inside.

I'd be willing to help ... it'd give me a chance to try out the new-to-me rig...

Doubt that will work. I have a couple Husky's that will make hurricane force wind but drifted snow is very happy laying around with it's buddies! Good old fashioned "Manuel" labor will be the order of the day!

corsair23
02-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for sharing the story and like Matt says we are all glad you are safe!!

x2 on trying to get back up there before the snow starts melting to mitigate the damage and maybe even put a tarp around it, lashed down very tightly. Need to enlist some of those hikers folks :thumb:

EDIT: :doh: - just realized that there was a second page :hill:

EDIT 2: I've got 100' of 7/16" unused steel cable to add to the list of recovery gear to reach the 80 (although it only has a loop at one end :(. Someone (you engineer types :)) start drawing up what the rigging we'll need to look like to pull it back up the hill...

Woodsman
02-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Definitely an unfortunate series of events. It's great to hear that everyone is OK and interesting to hear how the pictures on forums led the police to your home. Although sooner would've been better, you are still super lucky to have such a supportive four wheeling community in Colorado.

subzali
02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm still having trouble visualizing that as being Webster Pass. And the GPS coordinates come up looking more like that's closer to the top of Red Cone. But you said you went down the steep descent to Webster Pass from the top of Red Cone?

Either way, I have a couple extra lengths of winch cable that could be strung together if need be to get some extra distance.

wesintl
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I thought that's where it might be.. that pic gives a clear understanding

subzali
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Okay, this picture is taken from Webster Pass looking back up towards Red Cone. So it looks like you didn't make it all the way down the steep part? That you're stuck behind the saddle behind my FJ40?
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=1231

Or in this picture, looking from the top of Red Cone down to Webster Pass, the 80 is just beyond the right side of this picture?
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=1237

treerootCO
02-14-2011, 06:57 PM
I agree, the truck is not on Webster. Here is a pic of the last descent of Redcone and it matches your description. There is one last descent that is steeper than Redcone before you get to the saddle. You are actually on a spur that points to Montezuma but isn't a signed route.

DanS
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm in if I'm around.

If you go to clear the snow out, I might suggest bringing a bottle of CO2 to blow it out a bit too, especially around the ECU and stuff.

Glad to hear you are allright. That's some scary stuff there. I once got myself stuck all by myself without anyone knowing where I was, and where I didn't really know where I was, DAYS of walking from cell service. That night persuaded me to A) buy a HAM, B) buy a winch, and C) be much more careful when it's just my vehicle.

Dan

rover67
02-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't mind heading up there either.

Maybe clean it all out and throw a BUNCH of dessecant sacks in it? Duct tape the door seals and vent in back?

I'd hate to seal it up too well since when it gets hot it's gonna get steamy in there... but I wonder if that is better than letting it fill with snow again.

cbmontgo
02-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Man, this is wild. Let me know when/if you guys head up and I'd love to help.

Corbet
02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
If you head up Webster from the Summit CO side you will cross two large avalanche paths from memory. Not on the slide slope but through the run out below. Then your somewhat in risk directly under the pass. Use proper avalanche precautions if going up before spring.

Are there drain plugs in the front that could be removed to let water get out come spring?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I am interested in going, might be the last trip with the FJC.

Loki
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm up for a snow trip, let me know if you need some labor.

Old40Dog
02-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Just a little Dose of Reality here...From my experience up on that pass, and I've been up from each side, nobody's getting up there much before Memorial Day unless we have a very,very,very warm Spring or someone has access to a helicopter to go snatch it up.

As much as we'd all like to save that 80, it's way too risky to head up there too soon guys! Nobody's getting in there anytime soon and living to tell about it...Even hiking or skiing in there should be reserved for experts...

Just remember the truck IS replaceable...and YOU'RE not... See ya in May! be...

nuclearlemon
02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
whenever it is, i'm in.

Boggy B
02-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Hey, I found your Cruiser on Saturday and wanted to see if anyone knew the story. Sorry about the surprise police visit.

You can absolutely reach it safely from the north right now. There's just not enough snow up there to slide, the winds going over the pass have turned what's there to bulletproof crust, and I'm not convinced it's steep enough to begin with. I hiked down the gully it's in (the one NE of PT 12399 at Webster Pass).

Snowmobiles could probably get you to it but again it's thin above 12000'. Best bet would be to shoot up the gully.

Oh. It may be a bit windy though. This is in the gully a couple hundred feet below the Cruiser:
H6dmWk-Z6Bs

timmbuck2
02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
count me in!

RockRunner
02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry, I will wait till end spring/summer. It isn't worth loosing somebody over or another vehicle. Now if a group wants to go up just to secure the 80 that would be cool, I would not make it up there:(

Personally I think that even with the snow removed there will be a lot of rusted parts and electronics that will be ruined due to the moisture. Once spring sets in the sun will bake that interior like a sauna. I don't want to sound negative but just realistic.

When we do go up there to rescue it I am in depending on when of course. I would even bring the Dodge up there if we need a heavy anchor and the Dodge is heavy;)

I am glad to hear that nobody got hurt and sorry to see the 80 up there.

rcor
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
okay, This Picture Is Taken From Webster Pass Looking Back Up Towards Red Cone. So It Looks Like You Didn't Make It All The Way Down The Steep Part? That You're Stuck Behind The Saddle Behind My Fj40?
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=1231

Or In This Picture, Looking From The Top Of Red Cone Down To Webster Pass, The 80 Is Just Beyond The Right Side Of This Picture?
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=1237

Correct on both assuptions. Before the last steep decent, on the saddle. And to the right of the second pic.

rcor
02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I agree, the truck is not on Webster. Here is a pic of the last descent of Redcone and it matches your description. There is one last descent that is steeper than Redcone before you get to the saddle. You are actually on a spur that points to Montezuma but isn't a signed route.

Exactly right.

rcor
02-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey, I found your Cruiser on Saturday and wanted to see if anyone knew the story. Sorry about the surprise police visit.

You can absolutely reach it safely from the north right now. There's just not enough snow up there to slide, the winds going over the pass have turned what's there to bulletproof crust, and I'm not convinced it's steep enough to begin with. I hiked down the gully it's in (the one NE of PT 12399 at Webster Pass).

Snowmobiles could probably get you to it but again it's thin above 12000'. Best bet would be to shoot up the gully.

Oh. It may be a bit windy though. This is in the gully a couple hundred feet below the Cruiser:
H6dmWk-Z6Bs

On the contrary, thanks to this unpleasant set of pics the necessary steps will be taken to try and save her. As for the police, I wasn't welcoming to their inquiry and it only adds to the story so no problem.

Question: could you tell if the passenger window was broken at all? Seems like the snow came in through the front since I don't see any in the trunk?

corsair23
02-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Sorry, I will wait till end spring/summer. It isn't worth loosing somebody over or another vehicle. Now if a group wants to go up just to secure the 80 that would be cool, I would not make it up there :(

I'm pretty sure that at this point in time the only discussion is around trying to get up there to mitigate the damage, not recover the vehicle.

Now that the owner is on board and knows that we have folks that are willing to try and help out, we can let him provide details about the plan as it is put together. IMO what we he'll need more right now more than anything else is a group of experienced hikers. It is apparent that reaching the 80 is certainly feasible given that someone did just that last weekend.

Maybe some of the experienced hikers over on 14ers that have been watching this story unfold might also be interested in helping out.

RedCreeper
02-15-2011, 10:30 AM
If you guys need more winch cable i have 150 feet of it on my garage floor. it came of of a 8274 i am rebuilding.

DaveInDenver
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
There's been some avy activity in Summit Cty & 10 Mile Range last couple of weeks. Watch the S aspects primarily and to less extent the SW & SE aspects and be super careful after noon. Lots of hoar and wind deposited, they've been running ~24" deep with layers of crust on top of crud and sugar and not much within in the pack to hold between layers (called deformation concentration). A few have been to the rocks up very high, most have been slab slides.

The warm temps are putting stress on the snow pack, not warm enough to consolidate down but enough to make nasty slab top layers. CAIC has most of the area as orange, which is 'considerable'. The slide up on Loveland over the weekend was triggered from below, while the ones at Beaver Creek and Vail Pass were triggered higher up the slab. Be careful guys.

I might ski up there if you guys attempt to drive it. I have a different route in mind I think, tho.

MDH33
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I wasn't suggesting driving at all this time of year. Several of us are willing and capable of hiking/skiing up there though. My thought was just to try and see if the snow damage is already too much and if we can seal it off.

I would still be concerned about people vandalizing it as spring gets closer too.

rcor
02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Agreed. The recovery mission is 3+ months away.

The question is whatís the best way to mitigate the damage. I was also thinking of a securing a tarp though Sleeoffroad makes a good point about it causing more damage than protection if it gets loose.

NOAAís forcast has 20-30 mph wind in Montezuma so tomorrow doesnít look so promising and then a storm comes in. Bearing in mind that the sooner the better, I donít think we need to rush getting up there, instead wait for a window of good weather in the next few weeks. Itís so cold nothing is melting.

As for avalanche danger: an experienced back country/avalanche friend, did me the favor of hiking up there in December and confirmed that there is no real danger. Itís just not steep enough and since it blows so hard there is little snow accumulation (Boogy B post confirms this).

Iíll continue to monitor the weather forecast and try to coordinate a day that works for a crew to get up there. In the meantime comments on the best way to mitigate additional amounts of snow into the cabin are appreciated. Sounds like multiple layers of collision repair plastic might be the option. The white plastic thatís used to transport new vehicles might also be an option? Iím unfamiliar with both but will investigate.

Iíve always been worried about people vandalizing/target practice. Not sure thereís anything to do about that but get it down asap.

coax
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Iíve always been worried about people vandalizing/target practice. Not sure thereís anything to do about that but get it down asap.

Maybe taking up a few printed signs in those plastic page protectors that just say something like "No ones trapped in here, forest service notified, vehicle will be recovered as soon as weather permits" ?? Not that vandals would be swayed by this...just a thought.

I might ski up there if you guys attempt to drive it. I have a different route in mind I think, tho.

I'll be out of town during this upcoming storm (Telluride :-D ) but I'd be up for a ski trip up there. Not familiar with the area but could also take snowshoes or boots if its rocky near the top. Looks like at least until mid next week we might have some weather though...

rover67
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Pallet shrink wrap, lots of it :D

RedCreeper
02-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Where is the nearest plug for the heat gun? :D

I have a few extension cords also on my garage floor if needed.....

I heard from family in Palm Springs more is coming our way. FYI

be careful gang

rover67
02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
man, that's the ticket!

wrap it up and put a few of these handy dandy vents on it

http://www.bigshrink.com/shopexd.asp?id=951

with a bunch of these gas bags for mildew:

http://www.bigshrink.com/shopexd.asp?id=482

and some desiccant sacs.

and haul up a propane tank for the heat gun.

DaveInDenver
02-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Where is the nearest plug for the heat gun? :D
His ran off a propane tank. It was WAY more heat than a 2400W (which is ~8,000 Btu) electrical outlet could ever supply. Think more like a hand held asphalt patch heat gun, not the dinky cable shrink wrap or emblem removing heat gun. SOB was more like a flame thrower than a heat gun. Heck, it'd probably melt all the snow inside as well...

Boggy B
02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Question: could you tell if the passenger window was broken at all? Seems like the snow came in through the front since I don't see any in the trunk?

I didn't really get a look at the passenger windows, but my impression was there were no broken windows. That snow has probably come in right through the weather seals.

The front row is packed to the gills, second row has lots of snow, and there's plenty in the front of the trunk as well.

subzali
02-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Someone needs to correct the post on 14ers.com about the specs of the truck. Pretty much every spec he listed is wrong. Not like anyone cares on that forum.

RedCreeper
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
His ran off a propane tank. It was WAY more heat than a 2400W (which is ~8,000 Btu) electrical outlet could ever supply. Think more like a hand held asphalt patch heat gun, not the dinky cable shrink wrap or emblem removing heat gun. SOB was more like a flame thrower than a heat gun. Heck, it'd probably melt all the snow inside as well...

may need that just to keep folks warm up there.

SteveH
02-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Seems like removing the drain plugs under the carpet would allow any melted snow water to drain out as the freeze/thaw cycle continues through the Spring.

Or drill a few holes while you're there at the current low floorpan points (based on how it's parked now), and worry about filling the holes later. Bring a DeWalt 18v and some 3/8" bits.

RockRunner
02-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Pallet shrink wrap, lots of it :D

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing :p: It would work great but the P side would have to be dug out and anything underneath.

If a group goes up there I would bring some tools along to take of the rack, that to me would be the first thing gone.

DanS
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
I wasn't suggesting driving at all this time of year. Several of us are willing and capable of hiking/skiing up there though. My thought was just to try and see if the snow damage is already too much and if we can seal it off.

Bingo. How long of a trek are we talking here? If it's long enough, I've got gear to camp out up there, but it'd take me a while to round it up and get it up here.

That said, I've never hiked with tools in my pack. ;) Sounds like an adventure to me.

Dan

farnhamstj
02-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Even once you get it running. I have a feeling that Webster Pass road will be closed this summer. I came down in on my KTM end of september and there is a really really narrow section. The road had washed out. Barely passable in a truck, I was afraid on my KTM. We discussed this in another thread. It's gonna have to come out the Montazuma side. I think. Which is the north side and will hold snow even longer. You're all very kind to offer assistance. But I bet it's almost June before you can get down the road and I'd be very impressed if you're able to get it out under it's own power. I know you all love 80's but that thing's a write off. IMO

Uncle Ben
02-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Even once you get it running. I have a feeling that Webster Pass road will be closed this summer. I came down in on my KTM end of september and there is a really really narrow section. The road had washed out. Barely passable in a truck, I was afraid on my KTM. We discussed this in another thread. It's gonna have to come out the Montazuma side. I think. Which is the north side and will hold snow even longer. You're all very kind to offer assistance. But I bet it's almost June before you can get down the road and I'd be very impressed if you're able to get it out under it's own power. I know you all love 80's but that thing's a write off. IMO

Geeze....wheres the love? You might give up easily but that is not in my nature! We can get it! Hopefully there will still be something there to get!

Old40Dog
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I will wait till end spring/summer. It isn't worth loosing somebody over or another vehicle. Now if a group wants to go up just to secure the 80 that would be cool, I would not make it up there:(

Personally I think that even with the snow removed there will be a lot of rusted parts and electronics that will be ruined due to the moisture. Once spring sets in the sun will bake that interior like a sauna. I don't want to sound negative but just realistic.

When we do go up there to rescue it I am in depending on when of course. I would even bring the Dodge up there if we need a heavy anchor and the Dodge is heavy;)

I am glad to hear that nobody got hurt and sorry to see the 80 up there.

I'm pretty sure that at this point in time the only discussion is around trying to get up there to mitigate the damage, not recover the vehicle.

Now that the owner is on board and knows that we have folks that are willing to try and help out, we can let him provide details about the plan as it is put together. IMO what we he'll need more right now more than anything else is a group of experienced hikers. It is apparent that reaching the 80 is certainly feasible given that someone did just that last weekend.

Maybe some of the experienced hikers over on 14ers that have been watching this story unfold might also be interested in helping out.

I would still be concerned about people vandalizing it as spring gets closer too.

Yes, I agree! Secure it and then think about recovery May/June or whenever the weather permits. It's one thing to hike/ski in there to assess the situation and another to do a recovery.

subzali
02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Bingo. How long of a trek are we talking here? If it's long enough, I've got gear to camp out up there, but it'd take me a while to round it up and get it up here.

That said, I've never hiked with tools in my pack. ;) Sounds like an adventure to me.

Dan

We'll have to initiate you ;)
ATV Rescue (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8062&highlight=ATV+Brant)

If you start at Hall Valley Campground on the 285 side and hike up Red Cone trail, you start at 9,955 feet and end at 12,300 feet 5.4 miles later.

However, if you hike up to Webster Pass first, it's only 5 miles. But it doesn't look like there's a gate on that road so it may be possible to drive up further.

Old40Dog
02-15-2011, 10:30 PM
If you start at Hall Valley Campground on the 285 side and hike up Red Cone trail, you start at 9,955 feet and end at 12,300 feet 5.4 miles later.

However, if you hike up to Webster Pass first, it's only 5 miles. But it doesn't look like there's a gate on that road so it may be possible to drive up further.

No gate on the Webster Pass side coming out of Hall Valley, so you may be able to drive part of the way depending on the snow pack and weather before you need to start hiking. The first mile is likely the most difficult part of that trail, steep in places and some rock obstacles. If there's snow, it could be tough even down there.

theboomboom
02-15-2011, 11:24 PM
We'll have to initiate you ;)
ATV Rescue (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8062&highlight=ATV+Brant)

If you guys are serious about this, I'd be glad to tag along, schedule permitting.

Matt- I promise I won't ask to borrow your knife this time :thumb:

farnhamstj
02-15-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm more than happy to help. Set a skin and ski date and I'm in, provided it's from the Montazuma side. I could loan a bunch of avalanche gear to those that need it. I've got access to 10 beacons, shovels, probes. I'll give a little intro lesson to anyone interested. I've got love to share. I just put personal safety first.

JadeRunner
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
As was described by the guy that was just up there. The best access is up the valley the rig is in from the Montizuma side. And he was triing to say there is no avalanche danger there based on the conditions and steepness.

So a drive in from Montezuma (probably wont get far) and hard core ski from that side is in order to access and mitigate. Brutal conditions should be expected. Exposed skin wont last long up there. A day trip with skins and ski's sounds like a fine option for the hardy and well prepared.

Jenny Cruiser
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
I couldn't sleep if that were my rig up there. Been there since October...? That's a lot of sleepless nights. Hopefully, it will return home before it loses it's winter plumage.;)

wesintl
02-16-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm going to put a deka in a sled and go up there this weekend. Start that biotch up and drive it out. I'll need to borrow garys 40's before Tom buys them. Sounds like UB is in.

I got a couple t-shirts a wool sweater,some gaiters, and glacier glasses to fend off burned eyes. ;)

Uncle Ben
02-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm going to put a deka in a sled and go up there this weekend. Start that biotch up and drive it out. I'll need to borrow garys 40's before Tom buys them. Sounds like UB is in.

I got a couple t-shirts a wool sweater,some gaiters, and glacier glasses to fend off burned eyes. ;)

:thumb::thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
So are we doing this? I am in and have my skins, etc.. all that stuff Farnham mentioned..

Might be a bit stormy up there, should we wait for a sunny weekend??

Need the photos for my new 2010/2011 rescue slide show...

treerootCO
02-18-2011, 05:13 PM
The only way to the truck, other than walking, is down redcone in the winter and back up.....I am not going to try it. UB might but not me :eek:
The second way is up from Webster. Nice jaunt up from Montezuma but there is a steep section along the ridge that I would also not attempt to drive up in the summer time with good weather and no snow.

Uncle Ben
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I really don't think coming in or out of Montezuma is an option until summer time. That whole range has got a lot of snow this year and thinking we can come up the northside this time of year is a pipe dream! Treeroot hit it on the head in my opinion. Red Cone in and out would be our only option this time of year. Webster always has an insane amount of snow in the bowl just before climbing up the cone. I haven't checked but I would guess the seasonal gate on Red Cone has been locked since November after the last big game hunting season. I have driven up Red Cone in the past but it has been several years since I have been up there so I have no real idea of how decayed the steep hill is but by the looks of the photo's the stranded vehicle is prior to the worst (steepest) point. If the gate is open I would be interested in reconnaissance/possible extraction soon. The storm this weekend is charted to slide right through that area.....that would be pushing the odds way out of my safety zone!

Caribou Sandstorm
02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
The weather report also called for wind yesterday and today. Farnham can probably let us know how windy it was today. There will be a lot of wind loading and with the warmer weather just before this storm, the snow pack will be less stable. The cold stretch we had would be good for the snow pack theoretically but it is all up in the air until tested.

farnhamstj
02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
blowing like mad.

powderpig
02-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I know we have one Pilot in the club. It seems like we really do not know which route is the least time consuming. What about the possiability of haveing a fly over in a small plane to check out some of the routes. (we use to do this when we were planing a route for some of the expeditions in Alaska).
Anyhow a thought, May need to pay for fuel and maybe a plane rental.

I might be in depending on what day and such.

1loudLX
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm more than happy to help. Set a skin and ski date and I'm in, provided it's from the Montazuma side. I could loan a bunch of avalanche gear to those that need it. I've got access to 10 beacons, shovels, probes. I'll give a little intro lesson to anyone interested. I've got love to share. I just put personal safety first.

Ya should've just invited everyone to the class the other week :D

http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php

I'd be interested in a trip up there on skis depending on the weather, and the weather of the next two days.

DanS
02-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I know we have one Pilot in the club. It seems like we really do not know which route is the least time consuming. What about the possiability of haveing a fly over in a small plane to check out some of the routes. (we use to do this when we were planing a route for some of the expeditions in Alaska).
Anyhow a thought, May need to pay for fuel and maybe a plane rental.

I might be in depending on what day and such.

I don't have access to a plane myself (although I'm sure one could be arranged, likely not cheap though), but I'd happily volunteer my services to go do that. Highly weather dependent in that area in order to get low enough to see much. If I had my good camera up here instead of in NM I'd pack it with me and just might see if I could get any good pictures as we flew over, although it's a lot harder with 100 witnesses in the back who would certainly notice if the plane did any circling and stuff. ;)

Dan

cbmontgo
02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I don't have access to a plane myself (although I'm sure one could be arranged, likely not cheap though), but I'd happily volunteer my services to go do that. Highly weather dependent in that area in order to get low enough to see much. If I had my good camera up here instead of in NM I'd pack it with me and just might see if I could get any good pictures as we flew over, although it's a lot harder with 100 witnesses in the back who would certainly notice if the plane did any circling and stuff. ;)

Dan

I fly regularly out of Centennial, but flying low over the Rockies is fairly dangerous business in a piston-engine aircraft. Oxygen and a turbocharger are a must for this sort of thing.

JadeRunner
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
With confirmation from the driver, I 'm pretty sure we know where it's located. See map.

Based on the beginning of video he posted from the 80 site it looks like a straight shot down to the valley above Montezuma. Which would be about 4.1 miles from the 80 to the town of Montezuma. I would assume we could only drive to the edge of town where the plows stop. Then ski from there.

RockRunner
02-21-2011, 10:08 PM
I would be willing to drive up there if possible. Maybe UB, myself and whomever can five you guys a ride as far as possible and then you guys hike. Would be good to have a vehicle as close as possible to you guys just in case.

Beater
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I'll loan out my snowshoes and some gear if needed depending on the "when"

j

Corbet
02-21-2011, 11:18 PM
The main road will be plowed past Montezuma. But once you arrive at the Webster Pass road you'll need snowshoes, skis, or a sled until probably late May early June. I think it took me 3 hours on skis to get to the top of Webster Pass from memory, but it was a few years ago.

I think the picture of the truck up top still has all you guys living an illusion of how much snow will be down valley.

Easy to get to it to for inspection and/or clean the snow out, but that thing isn't going anywhere until spring without an airlift or a snowcat and sled-trailer.

Have a good time. Its a nice ski tour up there but be safe. Have avalanche gear, and know how ti use it. Risk is not huge but its there.

powderpig
02-22-2011, 07:57 AM
One would also need to get it back on the trail to get it out. I would doubt that the FS would like this vehicle making it own trail down a mountain side.

coax
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
I wonder if anyone rents mattracks around here....get a snowmobile to make 4 trips if the cruiser would start.

rcor
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Looks like the weekend works best for those that are up for the expedition to remove the snow inside and mitigate more piling in.

I think access up Montezuma is best. The trek from where a vehicle can reach is probably about 3 hours, which is why I'm trying to land a snowmobile to cut that to about 1 hour or less. I could at least get everyone to the base.

The forecast has another storm coming in this weekend. Looks like mother nature will dictate when we go up. The wind will be the biggest challenge.

rover67
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I was thinking about your scenario last night again and a Ham radio would have been handy. You might want to look into getting your license and getting a mobile rig when you get your truck back.

rcor
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Agreed.

I regret a lot about this experience, but none more that simply being prepared. Ham radio being one of the items on the list.

rover67
02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Agreed.

I regret a lot about this experience, but none more that simply being prepared. Ham radio being one of the items on the list.

We've all done similar things, it is how we learn and get better at what we do. :) I am glad you guys ended up being Ok in the end, that's really what counts the most. The fact that you are Ok means you did make a bunch of right decisions, think about it that way :) The truck is just a truck.

farnhamstj
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Weekends are best for me also. The feedback I have on that proposed route is you are headed up a gully. Avalanche is more likely and you expose yourself to both the west and north aspects. While these are less dangerous than East aspect. A better route would be the ridge or follow the road.

TwoTurtlesRacing
02-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Guys, I'm probably going to be in Denver this weekend and every other weekend for a while after that probably... I have some back country experience, clothes and snow shoes... And would be more than happy to pitch in and lend a hand if I would be any help. Sounds like a good adventure and I could use one of those right about now... works been a little boring lately! Just let me know dates and times!

jolee
03-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Any news on the Land Cruiser has been up to look at it just wondering.

Caribou Sandstorm
03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Weekends are best for me also. The feedback I have on that proposed route is you are headed up a gully. Avalanche is more likely and you expose yourself to both the west and north aspects. While these are less dangerous than East aspect. A better route would be the ridge or follow the road.

Totally agree Farnham,

The road will also have the best approach for skinning anyway.

I am thinking next weekend might be a good time. The weather looks as though it will cooperate better then it is going to this weekend for the trail leader's training.

So next Saturday?

Woodsman
04-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Anyone retrieve this 80 yet ?

MDH33
04-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Anyone retrieve this 80 yet ?

I doubt it. Probably still a bunch of snow up there.

rcor
04-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Sorry for the absence, had surgery and have been out.

Last week a few friends made the trip up to the Cruiser two days. Here's a video of day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaxVyYuiiFQ

Nay
04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
That is awesome - did you get an answer on how the snow got in (wind busting seals, busted window?).

My favorite part was the beginning where the Chipmunks are talking and then say "Let's Go!" :D

Oh, the suspense!

Jacket
04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I love it! :thumb: I can't wait for part 2. This is way better than network TV. When that puppy gets a new battery and fires up this summer, that'll be a great story for the TLCA.

wesintl
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
should try to get it down as far as the snow allows

Corbet
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
That is pretty cool. Long way to go on the snow melt down low.

rcor
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Ready for it...... the snow came in through the driver side window which was open 1/2 inch. How that happened I don't know nor want to speculate at this point. It is what it is.

The plan is to go back up in a week or two and check on it. What do you guys think about taking a battery up and starting her up?

Corbet
04-12-2011, 03:49 PM
The longer you let it dry out probably the better for the interior electronics. Start it up now and your more likely to burn something out like an ECU. I'd inspect those items before supplying them power for the first time.

theboomboom
04-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Sweet video! Keep us posted on the recovery effort, it has been very interesting to watch this all unfold.

(Į`∑._.∑[xtr3m3]∑._.∑īĮ)
04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
This Thread ROCKS! :headbang:

Sorry about your cruiser. Nice video, I can't wait for the next episode.

Woodsman
04-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Ha, I figured someone had blazed their way out there by now. Well done.

Snowrun
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
:thumb:

RockRunner
04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
I would even disconnect the old battery, you never know. Corbet is right no power to this until you know everything is dry or you will be replacing parts.

DanS
04-12-2011, 10:15 PM
One more suggestion to dry it out quicker: bring an air tank to blow it out a bit.

Very cool to scoop the snow out. Amazing how much was in there, and how packed it was.

Dan

simps80
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
farley says it best

b2RiI9v3io4

cbmontgo
04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Incredible. I have a feeling that this 80 is going to be legendary when it comes back to life.

rcor
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfvn-NuigpI&feature=related

ianacole
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Love the chap stick!!

Corbet
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Incredible. I have a feeling that this 80 is going to be legendary when it comes back to life.

I think your right:thumb:

RockRunner
04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Looks ready to go:rolleyes: Now these guys are just doing this for fun;) Chap stick was a good shot:thumb:

PabloCruise
04-23-2011, 10:14 AM
IF anything can survive up there it's a land cruiser :D

Sounds like a Top Gear episode!

Say, have you guys ever seen the Hilux episode... ;)

PabloCruise
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Sorry for the absence, had surgery and have been out.

Last week a few friends made the trip up to the Cruiser two days. Here's a video of day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaxVyYuiiFQ

Great videos!

Someone has some good taste in music, plus some video editing skills.

I would like to help with this in any way I can, with my non-winched 40, lack of snow experience, etc.

It would be great to actually go wheeling with the gang. I haven't wheeled with you guys for years. The sad thing is, technically, I have not wheeled in years!

84cruzer
04-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the update. :hill:

1997Runner
04-25-2011, 01:23 PM
I signed up just to say add me to the list if you need/want more help when it's time to get 'er going. Email is best for contact.

TJ in Lakewood

Jenny Cruiser
05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Has this rig found it's way home yet? :ranger:

ttubb
05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Dunno, but I am in Crested Butte, there is more snow here than two years ago and it is snowing like a bandit now and for the next two days. I am not certain Pearl will open at all this year. T :(

Corbet
05-19-2011, 09:19 AM
having that much snow is a good thing for a change even if we can't run certain trails this year IMO.

FJBRADY
05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
What is the status of this truck? Is it still up there? If so let's start planning a weekend to extract it. Anyone familiar with the area when is the snow level low enough to attempt? Is June to early or should be plan for sometime after the 4th of July?

Please advise so we can contact the owner and get that truck back to life. :thumb:

sno bored
05-26-2011, 12:11 PM
We have been getting lots of late season snow this year. A-basin reported 13 inches this past sunday. Still lots of snow higher up.

rcor
06-15-2011, 11:20 AM
I drove to Montezuma yesterday to assess the situation with a proper set of binoculars. All the snow has melted around the Cruiser. The first decent from the top of Red Cone is clear of all snow as well. The second decent has snow on the lower half but not much.

I'm planning to go up the Red Cone trail in next few days to check out conditions.

If all looks good, I'd like to launch the rescue mission the weekend of the 25/26 since the following is the 4th.

I'll report back after the recon mission but wanted to tentatively through these dates out there.

theboomboom
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I drove to Montezuma yesterday to assess the situation with a proper set of binoculars. All the snow has melted around the Cruiser. The first decent from the top of Red Cone is clear of all snow as well. The second decent has snow on the lower half but not much.

I'm planning to go up the Red Cone trail in next few days to check out conditions.

If all looks good, I'd like to launch the rescue mission the weekend of the 25/26 since the following is the 4th.

I'll report back after the recon mission but wanted to tentatively through these dates out there.

Just FYI, the 26th is the same date as the club's Argentine Pass cleanup run and I believe also the HAM field day...

rcor
06-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Nothing to report back from yesterdays recon mission except for there's still a lot of snow. Gates from both North (Montezuma) and South (Red Cone) are closed.

A bit more patience I guess.

rcor
06-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Noted, I'll check the calendar

1loudLX
06-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Just FYI, the 26th is the same date as the club's Argentine Pass cleanup run and I believe also the HAM field day...

There's still snow up there as well, was up there on tuesday...unless I took a wrong turn or something.

PabloCruise
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for update!
It sounds like we are holding off until after 4th of July?

Caribou Sandstorm
06-20-2011, 09:33 AM
May be getting new snow up there today..

sno bored
06-20-2011, 09:51 AM
May be getting new snow up there today..

I had 3-4 inches of wet heavy snow on my truck this morning.

1loudLX
06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
A-Basin definitely did.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-28-2011, 01:44 AM
bump...Status report?

rcor
06-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Waiting for the FS to open the gates. I can't seem to get an answer as to aprox date when this will happen. I have to be out of town 7-22 July and if its not down by then.....:mad:

60wag
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Out of town for a week or are you moving?

Caribou Sandstorm
06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I was thinking we could try for July 9th?

That is next Sat. Does this sound like a good day?

I think it is a matter of days before the gate is open, with how hot it is.

FJBRADY
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
We were on the Montezuma side of Webster today and the gate is still closed.

Maybe someone who is familiar with the FS can check on conditions/status of gate opening.....yo Martin!:thumb:

farnhamstj
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Gates around Vail opened on Friday July 1. There is a good deal of snow and a lot of trees down. No signs of any trucks having made it over Muddy Pass yet. Red and White has some big trees in the way. Anything over 10,000' is more snow than not.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Saw the weather today, looks like rain this week in Denver, meaning snow in the mtns? I am still planning on heading up there this weekend if the gates are open.

Fj Brady, Randy? Wes? Bueller? Marco? Boulder crew?

FJBRADY
07-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Saw the weather today, looks like rain this week in Denver, meaning snow in the mtns? I am still planning on heading up there this weekend if the gates are open.

Fj Brady, Randy? Wes? Bueller? Marco? Boulder crew?

Love to, but I think your early. Besides I won't go near it without the owner present.

Also what is the concensus on getting this thing to run beside a fresh battery?

RockRunner
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I would think you would want to put some injector cleaner in there too. It would be to late for gas stabilizer but wouldn't hurt. Besides that maybe clean the electrical connections and see if the ECM etc. are all dry oh clean or replace the air filter. Just of the top of my head............and it is usually wrong:rolleyes:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Love to, but I think your early. Besides I won't go near it without the owner present.

Also what is the concensus on getting this thing to run beside a fresh battery?

Agree 100%, sounded like the owner was hopeful to make a run at it before the 22nd. But maybe this weekend is too early.

TIMZTOY
07-05-2011, 10:20 PM
i was at about 11,000 ish, today and the rain was only soft hail and rain.. that was about 2pm i think

Old40Dog
07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
We watched it snowing on Bierstadt & Evans from our deck this evening for what that's worth. More likely August 1st for the Red Cone gate to be open. I'd be available and willing to lendng a hand around that time frame if the owner's available.

rover67
07-05-2011, 10:36 PM
This weekend is a no go for me and I think it is way too early. I bet that all you need to get it started is a fresh battery assuming the wiring is dry...

nuclearlemon
07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
if you get it running, i would put a couple of cans of heet in the fuel tank, in case of condensation

i'm up for it if we do go this weekend

Corbet
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
This weekend is a no go for me and I think it is way too early. I bet that all you need to get it started is a fresh battery assuming the wiring is dry...

I'm guessing the same. Unless snow made its way through the air cleaner, doubtful. Make sure the ECU is dry and turn key. Secondary systems will probably be questionable. Heater, stereo, etc...

Red_Chili
07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Pulling the plugs and turning it over is never a bad idea... very strange things can happen that high for that long under those conditions.

rcor
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I drove out to visit the FS offices to see if I could get timeframes. One lady said it would be closed at least until the end of the month. Another said they were working to open it asap and it was looking good, biggest issue is the cornice on top of Webster. This weekend seems to be out of the question.

As far as starting her up, I have a new battery, starter fluid, coolant, and a few cans to freshen up the fuel. It probably hasn't hurt that its been basting in the sun for 14 hours a day.

To be clear I'm out of town for the next two weeks, returning friday the 22nd. In the meantime by copilot on this entire adventure will take over, he'll probably log on to this forum later today.

Jacket
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
For the weekend of the 22nd there is a group trip up near Camp Hale, so less folks will be around that weekend - but still might be doable for some. Otherwise, I'd be up for the 30th.

Alco
07-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I am the copilot. Rcor is out of town the 22nd and I have been tasked to step in and as soon as the gates open, rally the troops to bring her down. I will be staying in contact with the FS to determine when it's open and then will need many of your expertise, knowledge, and assistance. If anyone has any news or updates up there, let me know, I'll be watching the forum.

All winter, a piece of my buddy's heart has been missing since we left it at 12,500' and I would love to be able to bring it back down. Thanks guys.

Rezarf
07-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I am the copilot. Rcor is out of town the 22nd and I have been tasked to step in and as soon as the gates open, rally the troops to bring her down. I will be staying in contact with the FS to determine when it's open and then will need many of your expertise, knowledge, and assistance. If anyone has any news or updates up there, let me know, I'll be watching the forum.

All winter, a piece of my buddy's heart has been missing since we left it at 12,500' and I would love to be able to bring it back down. Thanks guys.

You're a good friend to help with the recovery! :thumb:

The chapstick in the block of ice is classic.

The cruiser needs to be called the "Polar Bear" from now on after having hybernating for the winter!

FJBRADY
07-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Per the 4X4 club that maintains Red Cone.

"Red Cone is ready for the 2011 season. Made it all the way over to the montezuma gate. We have reported back to the forest service, and although we cleared the trail, it is up to them when they officially decide to open the gates to the public.
The creek crossing on the montezuma side of Webster pass is very deep. Webster still had a snow cornice at the top that is ~40' deep."

Caribou Sandstorm
07-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Hmmm.. Operation "Polar Bear Recovery"...This weekend? if gates are open..

leiniesred
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
With Jenny Creek on Snow Delay; I can help with the 80 this weekend.
It'll probably start right up with a jumpstart and we'll be able to drive it out.

timmbuck2
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I also could help with the Jenny Creek delay. We should have a contingency plan on how to get it down *if* it does not start. Strap it up between 2 80's?

Jacket
07-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Did the owner say he would be out of town until the 22nd?

calphi27
07-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Strap it up between 2 80's?

If you want it to make it back, it better be between 2 60 series. :D

treerootCO
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
If you want it to make it back, it better be between 2 60 series. :D

I think it was the 3FE that lead to this :p: I'm thinking we need an FZJ80 :D

RUoffroader
07-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Per the 4X4 club that maintains Red Cone.

"Red Cone is ready for the 2011 season. Made it all the way over to the montezuma gate. We have reported back to the forest service, and although we cleared the trail, it is up to them when they officially decide to open the gates to the public.
The creek crossing on the montezuma side of Webster pass is very deep. Webster still had a snow cornice at the top that is ~40' deep."

Hello Gentlemen,

My name is Ryan Boudreau, I am the Patrol Leader for the club that maintains Red Cone. Before our trip last Saturday, I was unaware of the Toyota up top. Upon our return, I did a little research and fell upon this forum. I figured since I have first hand information, it would be a good idea to keep y'all informed of the Red Cone status.

I received an email this morning from our South Platte ranger district contact, " Ryan, just talked to Cindy out of Dillon. Sounds like we are good to open today. Bob, any chance we could change the signs and unlock the gate?"

I have not yet seen a reply that this is definitely happening today, but usually they are quick on their actions. Red Cone should be open this weekend if there is an attempted recovery.

My only request, please inform me if/when the recovery happens, and also when it is complete so that I can report back to the forest service. If any additional help is needed, let me know, our rigs are certainly capable of a recovery effort, and since we know the mountain very well, we could probably make quick work of it. And remember, please tread lightly and try to keep the damage at a minimum since the 80 is certainly off trail :thumb:

Thanks,

Ryan Boudreau
boudreau1020@gmail.com

wesintl
07-14-2011, 11:46 AM
excellent. Thanks Ryan. I believe I can be in for sat.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the update Ryan!

One of the posters here is the owner but he may be out of town and has a buddy pinch hitting for him.

We have a group that is willing to go up Saturday but having a few of you all would I think be great, as well.

We can probably set a tentitive meeting time for now, so that we can get all those lined up that are interested.

ALCO what do you think?

So Far we have:

Caribou
Wes
Rudy
Treeroot?
Marco?
Robbie?
Brady?

bh4rnnr
07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
If there is an open seat, i'd love to tag along.

:beer:

bvb
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I missed out on BHCC but it looks like I could be available Saturday. That would be one of the 60s needed. What year is the 80 and I may have a FSM to have in hand if needed.

FJBRADY
07-14-2011, 01:41 PM
In.

So what is the plan. Drop in over Red Cone and take it out Webster/Montezuma side?

Let's confirm with the owner/owner's representative that they will be able to attend. Need keys for the rig , new battery, driver, and anything else needed.

Meet 9 am at the Red Cone turn off on 285?

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Awesome BVB! Glad you are in. Not sure what year 80 it is.

Yep Steve that is what I was thinking for a meeting time and location.

We just need to here from ALCO that he can be there also.

Perry you can ride with me, if you want. Bring your camera!

subzali
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
It's a '93:
... After a few Toyotas I finally found her in the fall of 09í with 73,000mi (1993) and pulled the trigger...

simps80
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Hello Gentlemen,

My name is Ryan Boudreau, I am the Patrol Leader for the club that maintains Red Cone.
<snip> And remember, please tread lightly and try to keep the damage at a minimum since the 80 is certainly off trail :thumb:

Thanks,

Ryan Boudreau
boudreau1020@gmail.com

way off topic, brief hijack..

Ryan, thanks for posting!
not sure if you've noticed but the forum portion of the website in your signature has had some not-so-nice spammers in the mechanic's corner section, if you see this maybe you can pass that along to one of the admins over there.

http://www.mhjc.org/2010forum/viewforum.php?f=9

...hijack off....

bvb
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
FSM and EWD in hand! Tool box was packed for BHCC so everything except the kitchen sink is in there if neded. A new battery and I'd bet it starts. Sounds like pulling it to the road is going to be the task.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Subzali you or any of the other Matt's in?

Jacket
07-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Out of town this weekend.

wesintl
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
We probably want to take 8qts of oil in case it needs changed if we plan on driving it and proper provisions to change it. I would say 8am at the 285 turnoff if it's happening. we need to get up there early.. maybe even earlier with the t-storms

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2011, 04:46 PM
We probably want to take 8qts of oil in case it needs changed if we plan on driving it and proper provisions to change it. I would say 8am at the 285 turnoff if it's happening. we need to get up there early.. maybe even earlier with the t-storms

OK good point. Maybe we should shoot for 7:30AM?

Maybe ALCO can bring the oil and filter?

Rudy, can we get one of the clubs spill kits? Would that be enough?

FJBRADY
07-14-2011, 05:31 PM
OK good point. Maybe we should shoot for 7:30AM?

Maybe ALCO can bring the oil and filter?

Rudy, can we get one of the clubs spill kits? Would that be enough?

Hey Chris PM ALCO and see if he can make it and let him know what he needs to make this work.....then post up the meeting times etc. We are a day and a half from Saturday so it needs to come together quick. I would coordinate but I have to run up to Cheyenne tomorrow so your da man.:thumb:

leiniesred
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I can try to get down to Hant's tomorrow after work, but frankly I'd just bring a tarp, a funnel, 2 empty gallon jugs, a small bag of kitty litter and a trash bag to load it all up later.

No way is a spill kit going to sop up 2 gallons of engine oil.
Ours kits are more of the "leaking oil from a truck" size kits, not the Exxon Valdez size spill kit you are talking about ;)

I don't think the oil is going to be a problem anyway. My father in law's truck is stored outside (admittedly not at 12,500 feet) and didn't move for an entire year. I jump started it off my tiny MR2 battery and a squirt of ether a few weeks ago. The oil looked fine before and after I started it.

My 4runner is stored outside year round and it sits for months at a time too. Sure it gets mice and wasp nests, but it has never had anything but oil in the oil.

Out at the pole barn in Michigan, The 1963 Austin Healey sits for 9 months a year in an unheated, leaky trailer. We just hook up the battery, hit the fuel pump with a brass hammer, and start it up. The 1934 caterpillar up in the woods? Drag the tarp off of it and crank 'er up (literally)...The 8n Ford tractor? That lucky machine actually spends the winter in a chicken coop. Jump start that 6volt unit with a 12volt battery and hit the starter with a hammer because it sticks when you zap it with 12volts...all these abused machines survive just fine in decidedly wet, cold Michigan conditions for about as long as this 80 has been in hibernation. *shrugs* I think it's going to take a fresh battery and that's about it to get 'er going. I'm sure the fuel and engine are sealed up a lot better than the relics "out to da pole barn" in Michigan.

I'm all for being prepared though...

Rezarf
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
If anyone is rolling in from the North side, I might be able to hop in an open seat. I'm 50/50 for saturday.

leiniesred
07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
We really need to know from the forest service if the gates are open at both ends to make a good decision.

Ryan. Thank you for the tread lightly reminder. It will be heeded.

UPDATE from co4x4 thread.

Old Today, 11:55 AM #19
newgarct

Member #: 17652

Just called South Platte Ranger District at 303.275.5610, Red Cone is Open. Thanks for all the work getting this trail open

Just need to hear from ALCO if we are a "go."

leiniesred
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a 110 Amp/hour AGM battery (about 70 pounds) that should spin a starter for a long time. I'll bring it.

nuclearlemon
07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
wish i could make it. get lots of pics

Caribou Sandstorm
07-14-2011, 07:58 PM
wish i could make it. get lots of pics

I was hoping you were gonna make, we might need a real mechanic.

Rudy no need to go to
Hant's.

I have tarps.

Brady will do!

wesintl
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm going to run it regardless of whether or not we get the owner or backup. I can't do sunday so i'm goin tomorrow. I'll be in the 70

Caribou Sandstorm
07-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Same here Wes, I got the hall pass, I am going..

Rudy? What time?

I will send Alco a PM but if he was here to see any updates, he would see the follow up messages, so not sure the PM will do any good.

We can just look at it and imaginge rescuing it and then keep on trucking..if ALCO can not meet. Sunday is out Mrs. Sandstorm is joing a fast pitch softball team and has 2 games on Sunday.. So I am kid duty all day Sunday.

MountainGoat
07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm in for running it as well, recovery or no. I just need to do some wheeling man. :hill:

Rock Dog
07-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I was hoping you were gonna make, we might need a real mechanic.

Rudy no need to go to
Hant's.

I have tarps.

Brady will do!

I heard there might be Caribou up there on Red Cone, keep your eye's peeled :lmao::lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
I heard there might be Caribou up there on Red Cone, keep youe eye's peeled :lmao::lmao:

That is why I am bringing BVB, he is my personal hunting advisor..

Neil, if you have nothing better to do tomorrow morning...join us?

bvb
07-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I got a sitter for Saturday so looks like I'll be going no matter what! After missing vacation this week I need to get out! 7:30 at the turnout from 285?

nuclearlemon
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I got a sitter for Saturday so looks like I'll be going no matter what! After missing vacation this week I need to get out! 7:30 at the turnout from 285?

join the crowd..passport issues have screwed my vaca, so looks like i'm in

Romer
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I hope someone has a key :D

Red_Chili
07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Now that would be funny... LOL

MountainGoat
07-15-2011, 08:38 PM
7:30 at the turnout from 285?

8:30 would work better for me. Anybody else have a preference?

leiniesred
07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
no key means it won't start for sure. I'm in only if we have a key. I'll check here tomorrow at 0600 to see if we are go/no go on the polar bear rescue.
7:30 is fine for me at the above mentioned meeting place if we have a key.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I haven't heard back from the owner or his second in command.

But I have secured the hall pass, so I am in also.

Let's split the difference and call it 8:AM, that way mtn goat can catch up as we are airing down..

Who knows there may be too much snow around the 80 to even pull it out, maybe this is a good scouting run to figure things out?

bvb
07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
8 am key or not, i have a hall pass. It would be a shame to miss the chance to save one!:thumb:

treerootCO
07-15-2011, 11:42 PM
I am on call and working through the night tonight so I will not be able to attend. Good luck guys, take lots of pics.

The last drop to the Webster pass saddle is steeper then Red Cone in my opinion so be really careful if you have to lower a vehicle down that section.

nuclearlemon
07-16-2011, 03:50 PM
no key or word from the friend, but we went up anyways to check it out. only about 100 feet off the first saddle on red cone. good dry ground underneath with some tundra. looks like a battery is all that may be needed, then drive it up and out.

rover67
07-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Wow, sweet Ige, thanks for the pictures. they finally put it in perspective for me.

That must have been frustrating to have to just drive by... but it looks like it'd be an easy recovery at least.

And....... being in a spot like that I'd reeeeeealy start worrying about theft/vandalism.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Here are a few more pics, Great day! If only we had keys, we would have just driven it out..

Also Wes heard Tim on the HAM over on another pic, you gotta love HAM..

I took some video with the GO-PRO, as soon as I figure out how to download, I will post up.

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-ddwDbF2/0/L/DSCF1194-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-ddwDbF2/0/L/DSCF1194-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-3TkBjhS/0/L/DSCF1200-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-GwQDKZk/0/L/DSCF1203-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-ZHq84b4/0/L/DSCF1205-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-ZFvv6qf/0/L/DSCF1208-L.jpg

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-w8HzhzK/0/L/DSCF1214-L.jpg

Mixed company...... Michelle your rig Rocks!
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Red-Cone-July-2011/i-tLQG2JX/0/L/DSCF1210-L.jpg

subzali
07-16-2011, 07:00 PM
how was trail traffic up there? Shame the friend never posted back up, really hope vandals don't get to it.

FJBRADY
07-16-2011, 07:49 PM
We had a great time! Since the 80 is still up there it's gives us a good excuse to go back. Beautiful trail, definitely one of my favorites.

Pictures:

Caribou Sandstorm
07-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Other than a couple of quads, we were all alone!

On the down hill side, a group of quads with Forest service ranger, were parked on the side and in the middle of the road. Kind of odd to see them blocking the road especially with the forest service guy.

FJBRADY
07-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Few more:

nuclearlemon
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
And....... being in a spot like that I'd reeeeeealy start worrying about theft/vandalism.

too late...someone already put a bunch of stay the trail stickers on the window :lmao:

nuclearlemon
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
few more pics

nuclearlemon
07-16-2011, 09:17 PM
On the down hill side, a group of quads with Forest service ranger, were parked on the side and in the middle of the road. Kind of odd to see them blocking the road expeically with the forest service guy.

he was actually a colorado state parks guy. majority of the quads were parked in the road, even tho there is a large dirt patch off to the side to park on and had no intention of moving out of our way. bvb watched them all take off up redcone after we went through, which many will note is not legal, red cone is one way downhill. :rant:

ScaldedDog
07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
How long before the snow at the top of Webster is gone?

Mark

subzali
07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
so it looks like Webster Pass was closed on the 285 side? You had to exit via Montezuma? Radical Hill was probably still closed too then huh?

wesintl
07-16-2011, 10:38 PM
There was a ton of snow at the top of radical. Webster has the usual cornice blocking it and it's deep. probably 3 weeks at least

Caribou Sandstorm
07-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a bunch more footage from the entire day, this was the shortest and easiest to down load. I forgot to mount it on the bumper for this shot..next time!

You can see how the camera has a lot of potential.

I am checking to see if the red light is flashing..."Rolling"

Here is the link, as I did not attach correctly.

Sound is mufffled because I had the water proof back on the case, probably could go with open back case next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-RYS02i2A&feature=player_detailpage

DaveInDenver
07-17-2011, 07:33 AM
jJ-RYS02i2A

Caribou Sandstorm
07-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks Dave! how did you do that?

MountainGoat
07-17-2011, 08:36 AM
What exactly are you trying to hide with that finger? :lmao:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=24377&stc=1&d=1310863848

subzali
07-17-2011, 10:20 AM
wes, were you running 40 rims with hubcaps on the 70? Looks different...

nuclearlemon
07-17-2011, 11:12 AM
wes, were you running 40 rims with hubcaps on the 70? Looks different...

yep, he was...it looked as sexy as a montero can look:D

subzali
07-17-2011, 02:58 PM
very :cool: :guapo:

Alco
07-17-2011, 05:01 PM
All,

Sorry for the delayed response, and that I missed the weekend trip up. I wan to see who could help as soon as possible, if anyone is free in the next couple days. I have keys to the cruiser and some other items if needed. Thanks and let me know when is possible...

Caribou Sandstorm
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I just spoke to Al on the phone.

If anyone is free tomorrow morning, Al could go up with you, otherwise I can go up with him after work tomorrow.

Anyone up for a late afternoon/after work run up Red Cone tomorrow?

Say trail head by 5:30-6:00pm? Al is going to call me back later tonight with some ideas on when and how.

I think the thunderstorms were supposed to be over today, so it may be exceptional up there tomorrow afternoon.

nuclearlemon
07-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Anyone up for a late afternoon/after work run up Red Cone tomorrow?

Say trail head by 5:30-6:00pm? Al is going to call me back later tonight with some ideas on when and how.

I think the thunderstorms were supposed to be over today, so it may be exceptional up there tomorrow afternoon.

i can probably make tomorrow night

ttubb
07-17-2011, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=
I think the thunderstorms were supposed to be over today, so it may be exceptional up there tomorrow afternoon.[/QUOTE]

50% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow night. See
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Crested+Butte&state=CO&site=GJT&textField1=38.8701&textField2=-106.983&e=0

Alco
07-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I am good for anytime tomorrow or Tuesday. Spoke to Chris and tomorrow evening looks like a good possiblity. I may get up there early, hike up with a new battery and some tools and misc. items to see if I can just start her up and drive down. Or, if the weather is ok, may ride up with one of you. Anyone else free?

srptoy
07-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a ride tomorrow night if you guys are going