PDA

View Full Version : JDM parts, diesel engine, FF locking axles

OilHammer
02-14-2011, 10:10 PM
So I have decided to stick my toe back into the importing arena for a bit and bring in some more groovy stuff. I just bought a 1HZ diesel 6 with 5/spd tranny and split case. This is right out of a 70 series in Japan, so it's 24V. If you have seen my truck, it's running a JDM motor as well...converting is no big deal if you want to go that route.

I'm also thinking I will buy a set (maybe two sets) of 70 series locking axles. This is what I'm running on my 40 except e-lockers instead of cables. 70 series axles are about 1.5 to 2" wider than a stock 40, but they use all 80 series hub/knuckle components. Very stout.

Prices are up in the air for the moment as I have not gotten final shipping quotes and I have moved half way across the country since the last set of engines I brought in. Should be cheaper, but who knows. So....I'm just planting the seed for anyone thinking about a spring project. :beer:

subzali
02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Would love to do this. But unfortunately...:(

Rzeppa
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I will put in a plug for the 1HZ being a frigging AWESOME engine! That's one of the biggest things I miss from my HZJ75.

Just curious - are you planning on bringing in the mating BH, clutch and H55F?

Bruce Miller
02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
The 1HZ performs similar to a 3F with double the fuel economy. It's a good and dependable motor but it needs a turbo!

RockRunner
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
What do you think a 4 cylinder Diesel Turbo would run approximately? I keep looking at one of those for my 4runner but just don't know if it is worth it. I may just be better of getting a 2.7 gasser and leaving at that. Just curious about the cost.

DanS
02-15-2011, 08:09 PM
A 1HZ/H55f combo is a GREAT idea. I'm actually in the market for one, if the "price is right."

If not this one, perhaps in the near future. I do have a 1HZ/H55f already, so I'm not exactly hurting for one, but, with the addition of the 60, and the realization of how much I hate 12MPG, the wife has suggested that I pick up a 1HZ for it, if the price is a steal.

Tom: your 4-runner would be SWEET with a 3L and the turbo from a 2LT-E, IMHO. 1KZ-T would be sweeter, but more work.

(you've got a PM rutbeer)

Dan

BreckBJ44
02-16-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd be interested if you can get your hands on a 15B-FT... I was planning on that but then the well dried up... Let me know!

Kipper
02-16-2011, 02:57 PM
70 series axles are about 1.5 to 2" wider than a stock 40, but they use all 80 series hub/knuckle components:

hmm, that's cool. how big is the ring gear?

subzali
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Cruiser sized :p:. Same as FJ60/2 I believe.

From some old threads on MUD, looks like these engines go for around $6000 or so, give or take for any accessories.

Rzeppa
02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Early 70 series diffs are interchangeable with early through 80 series rears. Later 70 series fronts are interchangeable with 80 series front. I learned this the hard way. 8-ball award and all that.

Only difference is the splines in the pinion itself, the companion flange, and of course 60 series and late 40 series are 3.70 ratio instead of 4.11.

Old40Dog
02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey Barry!

Interested in a diesel set up similar to the one you posted, but with a 1HD-T with a (H150F) 5 Speed Manual/T-Split case. Are you looking at half-cuts as I also need all of the electronics? Looking at sometime late this summer time table. LMK.

Thanks! Dave

Heckraiser
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd be interested in a H55f pending a price :)

DaveInDenver
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
What about 1KZ-TE or/and 2L-T/E engines? I know of interest in at least two diesel conversions in 3rd gen Pickups, mine ('91) and a bud ('89) at work. Both would be based on current W56 transmissions, so would need 5 speeds attached or at least compatible bell housings.

DanS
02-18-2011, 09:11 PM
What about 1KZ-TE or/and 2L-T/E engines? I know of interest in at least two diesel conversions in 3rd gen Pickups, mine ('91) and a bud ('89) at work. Both would be based on current W56 transmissions, so would need 5 speeds attached or at least compatible bell housings.

You don't want a 2LT-E.

Seriously. I love mine, but the head-crack-o-matic nature of the 2LT-E makes it less than optimal. ESPECIALLY out here where we've got hills. I can easily toast mine driving between Denver and Idaho Springs.

Dan

DaveInDenver
02-19-2011, 07:24 AM
You don't want a 2LT-E.

Seriously. I love mine, but the head-crack-o-matic nature of the 2LT-E makes it less than optimal. ESPECIALLY out here where we've got hills. I can easily toast mine driving between Denver and Idaho Springs.

Dan
I understand the head issues of the 2L. Dunno, maybe a 3L head? I also tend to think it's something I can live with. I'm used to doing 55MPH for hours on end and don't ask my motor to do much now. I mean, geez, we have a 20 year old pig of a Hilux with a 22R-E and a 10 year old Jetta Wagen with a 2.0L APK petrol. Combined they had about 200HP at sea level a decade ago... Anyway, since I have no way to deal with motor mounts and fabrication, the 2L swap is the more attractive of the two with the bolt in swap from a 22R-E. I also have next to no truck money and so cheaper and easier is better!

DanS
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I understand the head issues of the 2L. Dunno, maybe a 3L head? I also tend to think it's something I can live with. I'm used to doing 55MPH for hours on end and don't ask my motor to do much now. I mean, geez, we have a 20 year old pig of a Hilux with a 22R-E and a 10 year old Jetta Wagen with a 2.0L APK petrol. Combined they had about 200HP at sea level a decade ago... Anyway, since I have no way to deal with motor mounts and fabrication, the 2L swap is the more attractive of the two with the bolt in swap from a 22R-E. I also have next to no truck money and so cheaper and easier is better!

I'm in much the same boat, now that I have the 2LT-E in. Mine still has the original head (knock on wood). The problem with leaving it in (and the problem you'd have if you put one in) is that you're constantly having to worry about the head cracking. I baby mine too (both for mileage and 2LT-E issues), but at the end of the day it's something that will always keep me from going TOO far off the beaten path by myself. And, I always keep enough money in the bank to buy a new head if I have to.

If you can deal with looking at the head as a consumable item, then a 2LT-E isn't a bad deal at all. They can certainly be found cheap enough, that's for sure! Other than the head cracking issue always being there, I really, really like the 2LT-E. 85,000 miles later I still smile every single time I drive it (which is every day).

Still, if it were me, I'd look for a 1KZ-TE, have them cut the frame so you have the factory motor mounts, and hire a mobile welder to cut out the R/L series mounts and weld in the KZ mounts. The transmission crossmember mounts are the same. I bolted the R150 crossmember right to the mounts for the G58 crossmember, and every other truck I've looked at looks like it would do the same. After that it's just the same wiring issues you'd have with a 2LT-E.

Barry: I have a sneaking suspicion that my father is buying a 60 today, and might be seriously interested in a 1HZ/H55f combo. From the sounds of it here, I doubt you'll have a problem selling it once you bring it in. ;)

Dan

calphi27
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Who has the skills to do the swap here on the front range? Can you get half cuts?

BreckBJ44
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Dan does... He did his... check out his signature... Awesome work.

DanS
02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Dan does... He did his... check out his signature... Awesome work.

Thanks. I was motivated, my other engine leaked. ;)

It's really not that hard. If I had access to a shop locally... at the least I'd be willing to lend a hand/talk you through it. Someday when I get to build a shop up here (which has to wait until after I build the house, which has to wait for $$$) I may get into doing swaps on the side just for something to do...

Dan

Old40Dog
02-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Bump!

Anything to report yet Barry?

OilHammer
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Sorry guys, work went nuts the last two weeks and I'm just now pulling myself out of the hole.
Looks like most of the questions people had already got answered, but I will sum up what I know.
I only bought the 1hz/h55f/split case and a set of 70 series locking axles. The axles are nearly identical to mine, but with electric locking diffs instead of the cables and the rear axle is a drum unit. From what I have seen, you can swap an 80 series backing plate on these and have the rear disk. I ran drums originally, then found a set of disk axles and thought why not, but honestly, the drums were not a problem for me.
The engine has a/c pump, pwr steering pump, shifters, but no motor mounts (rubber part). Depending on what you install it in, the mounts don't always work anyway, and honestly, you would be nuts not to put new ones in when you have the engine out already. Most of the time, I get the air cleaner, but I don't know if it will include that yet. Price wise, someone said $6k and that's about right. They can vary between 6 and 7 depending on what's included and how the compression test comes out. Mileage really is irrelevent coming out of Japan, it's all about the compression. This is NOT a mine engine! This engine was started and ran before he pulled it and he verified the mileage against the documentation, and what was written on the air and oil filter.
I have already been invoiced, so as soon as it's crated up, it normally takes about 3 weeks to show up. I have imported a bunch in NC, but none in CO, so I might have some customs delays until I get the rest of my resources in order.

I "can" get anything, but availability is always the question. I have been trying to get a 15BT and a 1HD-T for 6 years, and I never seem to be ready for one when they pop up....which is rare.

gr8fulabe
03-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Have you got a continuous bond for import, or do you just do a single entry bond every time? Also, do you import as a business? My wife is a licensed broker here in Denver, and could either clear for you in Long Beach if you want, or here (we always do Denver personally), but they don't technically do personal imports. So it would be a bit tougher for her to help if you are importing as personal stuff. Let me know if you want her contact info.
best,
abe

OilHammer
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I have always gone as a personal import b/c it's been so infrequent, and I always keep a bunch of stuff for myself anyway. And yes, I would prefer to clear in CO over CA. I had a broker in GA that I was using, but honestly, there is so little paperwork involved, I think I may just go down there myself this time. On another note, I am thinking about becoming a WorldPAC vendor, and if I do that, I will have to form a business and start pushing real volume.

rover67
03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Any idea how much an HDJ81 half cut would run or if you could get one?

OilHammer
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I have been trying to get a 1hd-t for years, but the timing was never right when they came up, and I think I have only missed that chance once or twice. I'm not personally interested in half-cuts and I don't think you are even allowed to bring them in any longer. There was a place down south called Jarco that was doing it, but I think they stopped. Half cuts are spendy, shipping goes by volume, not weight, so you would be far better off to have all the parts you are after pulled and put in the standard 3x6 crate. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in that space!

rover67
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Right on, thanks for the info. Just brain storming right now :)

OilHammer
05-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Finally got confirmation from the shipping company that the boat arrives in LA on the 8th, and the train will pull into Denver around the 15th. I'm giving some slack to them b/c of the earthquake and all the chaos, but I'm remembering one of the reasons I quit doing this. Spending that much for something you don't get to see/touch for months on end is a PITA. If I didn't trust the seller from past experience, I would be very nervous right about now....

Oh, and Marco, I DID get an opportunity on a 1hd-t with a 5 speed. It was stupid expensive. It was over $10k just to buy it, let alone run through the import process and all the other fees. I noticed SOR had one in stock for about that, so no point in bringing it in. They used to be a lot less $$$, but they are becoming harder to find. Couple that with US currency problems, and it's a no go.

rover67
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Cool, thanks for checking!

OilHammer
07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Finally got the motor tested tonight. Runs well and compression was within spec and consistent. Photos to come when I get it cleaned up a bit.

OilHammer
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Update:
Axles are sold and gone.
Drivetrain price reduced to $6k. Tired of looking at it in my trailer and don't want to store it over the winter. There is a guy that wants it at this price already, but needs to do payments. I would prefer to sell it outright, otherwise it's going to him.