PDA

View Full Version : I just realized...

subzali
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
...that we're in 2011 now. That means the 1st BJ74s (1986) are 25 years old now. Which means legal importation is now open for them (I think, I haven't looked to see if the laws have changed in the last couple years).

Yes!

Only 4 more years, too, until HDJ81s can be imported!

Gotta start saving the pennies...

...or maybe I should sell the Tundra...hmmm...

...Almost...
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-BJ74-W0QQAdIdZ260055369

RockRunner
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
It would be sweet to get an 81, diesel with all the toys. I like the 70 series too but they are a little to small for me personally. If you find the one you want I would sell the Tundra in a heart beat and import that sucker.

corsair23
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Add to the list to buy some land and build a cabin in a county that doesn't have e-testing unless you want to go through that every year...

subzali
02-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I haven't done the research on diesel emissions, are the requirements the same?

wesintl
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
no.. you have to get it tested every year, it's min $50 and it's a PIMA

corsair23
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't know but IMHO, being able to avoid emissions testing on anything I imported would be key to me. Maybe it isn't as big of a deal as I think it would be though...

EDIT: Looks like Wes has your answer :)

subzali
02-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Knowing those guys at the e-test stations, I'm not sure I'd want them driving a RHD 5 speed on the rollers :eek:

Good idea Jeff, maybe I can get the :Princess: to approve it :thumb: :D

And unfortunately I'm not sure it would be a good idea to sell the Tundra to buy one of these, seeing as I have to get to work everyday and you can't exactly go down to the parts store for a 13B-T or 1HD-T injection pump :rolleyes:

Corbet
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Only 4 more years, too, until HDJ81s can be imported!

I know. Can't wait.

Add to the list to buy some land and build a cabin in a county that doesn't have e-testing unless you want to go through that every year...

I have just the piece of land for you in Summit County.

DanS
02-15-2011, 06:54 PM
And unfortunately I'm not sure it would be a good idea to sell the Tundra to buy one of these, seeing as I have to get to work everyday and you can't exactly go down to the parts store for a 13B-T or 1HD-T injection pump :rolleyes:

Meh. Hasn't stopped me yet, and my 2LT-E is FAR from as robust as a 13B-T or 1HD-T engine. Even before I had a spare vehicle, it never bothered me. I've gotten parts in three days from Australia, and none of those vehicles are quite as tough to get parts for, IMHO.

All this talk of recurrent diesel emissions.... hooray Clear Creek County!

Dan

wesintl
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Knowing those guys at the e-test stations, I'm not sure I'd want them driving a RHD 5 speed on the rollers :eek:

Good idea Jeff, maybe I can get the :Princess: to approve it :thumb: :D

:Princess:

The guys at the regular stations don't test diesel. You have to go to a diesel station. Dude, I know those guys are sometimes on crack but RHD and a 5 speed is not rocket science..

Man, more :Princess: Barry drives his 3bt 40 every day to work.

How often do you need an injection pump? Like hardly ever. Getting a part in today's world is no more difficult than getting something for 76 fj 40.

Did you post this at 4:20?:hill:

gr8fulabe
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
a 25 year old diesel import is EPA exempt, so you don't have to get it tested all the time (once you get it registered & all that). That might not be the case in California since they have strict state laws.
Best,
Abe

Corbet
02-15-2011, 07:38 PM
but RHD and a 5 speed is not rocket science..

I agree. I had no problem adjusting in seconds with my rental in AU. Staying on the RH side of the road however was not as easy as driving it.

Old40Dog
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Why wait years to import an HDJ81 with RHD?

Just get an FJ 80 (likely under $2K) and convert to 1HD-T, LHD,turbo diesel add a 5 speed and you're ready to go....

Stay tuned!