PDA

View Full Version : Horrible knocking sound! Ahhhh...

Rezarf
02-15-2011, 10:27 PM
So tonight driving home from work I noticed this horrible metal on metal knocking sound. After the gear noise I had a few weeks ago this made my stomach sink.

I babied it home but it was a distinctive knocking metalic sound like a hammer tapping inside the t-case... not good.

I pulled in the garage and realized my friend had closed the door with the seat belt hanging outside... every bump was yielding a clunking sound...

...whew!

Gotta' love a happy ending. :thumb:

Hulk
02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Gotta love a story with a happy ending. :)

Mendocino
02-15-2011, 11:34 PM
So tonight driving home from work I noticed this horrible metal on metal knocking sound. After the gear noise I had a few weeks ago this made my stomach sink.

I babied it home but it was a distinctive knocking metalic sound like a hammer tapping inside the t-case... not good.

I pulled in the garage and realized my friend had closed the door with the seat belt hanging outside... every bump was yielding a clunking sound...

...whew!

Gotta' love a happy ending. :thumb:

Drew! That was cruel; I'm glad it ended well.

ttubb
02-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Got my attention! Glad it was a "simple fix".

RedCreeper
02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
LOL i have had a metalic rattling sound for a while and could not figure it out. Basically ignored it since there are so many noises. Finally found it was the billet shift knob coming loose. LOL Glad it was a easy fix.

subzali
02-16-2011, 02:12 PM
That was mean Drew.

corsair23
02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Reminds me of one time when I was driving the 40 home from a RS meeting (literally, probably the one time I drove it to a meeting too I think :D) and I start hearing this whine...It got louder, and louder, and louder. I'm starting to worry if I can make it to the next exit on C470 despite the 40 seeming to be running fine. I'm sure the tranny or tcase is going to explode in a brazillion pieces at any moment as I start slowing down.

I start turning stuff off to see if I can isolate the noise. Radio off - check. Heater fan off - check. Wait, where'd the noise go? Fan back on, horrible whine...fan back off, all is quiet (relatively speaking anyway) :hill: