PDA

View Full Version : New Land Cruisers: disappearing from the U.S.?

Hulk
02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
My brother-in-law has owned an LX470 for a decade. He bought it new. It's still running strong with 180,000 miles. He's not in a hurry to sell it, but he's been looking at getting a new one.

My sister just sent this note:
We are still looking at a new SUV for Jeff - the current one has 180,000 and is still going strong. We can't even find a new Landcruiser to look at at the Toyota dealers in Columbia and Jeff City. Lots of Highlanders, though. They are getting a few low mileage Lexus LX's in St. Louis soon, but you pretty much have to order a new one if you want it - we have talked to both dealers in St. Louis and one in Springfield - they get like one every two months! Not like it was 10 years ago where there were many to look at on the car lots.

What's the deal with this? Is the Land Cruiser going to be eliminated from the U.S. market? Have they priced it so high now that no one wants to buy it?

Hulk
02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
All of you guys who are buying 100s now are going to be disappointed in another 10 years when there are hardly any used 200s, because so few were sold.

Mendocino
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
All of you guys who are buying 100s now are going to be disappointed in another 10 years when there are hardly any used 200s, because so few were sold.

I'm sure my 100 will still be running strong in 10 years.:D

Jacket
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Toyota has absolutely no marketing plan for these trucks in the US. Have you ever seen a commercial, magazine ad, or anything like that? Why would anyone opt to buy one?

Sad to say, but people going full size are buying Escalades.....

SteveH
02-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Our dealer has never stocked one that I have seen - do the Denver dealers keep any on hand?

subzali
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I've seen one at Burt (now Groove) and Go. But I've heard of some dealers having trouble even getting them.

BreckBJ44
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
There are actually a lot of them around... They are just being driven by soccer moms in Cherry Creek and Highlands Ranch... oh, and they are camouflaged as Lexus LXs.

RockRunner
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Toyota has been pushing the larger Sequoya instead since it is more family friendly. I haven't since a LC add for a long time nor a real one on the lots.

MDH33
02-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I just read an article that Toyota will be discontinuing the Landcruiser 200 series SUV line in America due to the stricter fuel economy standards. Instead, they are going to finally introduce the turbo diesel 70 series rigs that will be upgraded to meet the strict US EPA standards and still surpass the fuel economy requirements. How cool is that! :thumb:

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-wagon-workmate-749x422.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-wagon-gxl-749x422.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-wagon-gxl-b-749x422.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-troop-carrier-gxl-749x422.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-troop-carrier-workmate-749x422.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/lc70-media-gallery-cab-chassis-gxl-c-749x422.jpg

Actually, I just made that up. Not going to happen. :hill::rolleyes::confuse2:

:eek::bolt:

But I sure wish it was true.

:banghead:

farnhamstj
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
We should all show our support for the Toyota Land Cruiser by going to our local dealer and buying a new 200 series. I'd get a 2011 in a heartbeat if I could afford it. Then I'd take it in the rocks and bushes and scratch it all up. Then I would cry. I'd do it over and over again until I got used to the pain and my crying,urn into laughter. I'd drive around with a smile on my face, sweet tunes on the radio, a warm butt from the heated seats and my nose full of smell from whatever it was that the kids spilled last week.

Corbet
02-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Our local Toyota dealer has a white 2011 on the lot. I drove it last week for fun. If it was green I would have written a check for it. I wish. No 75K in my account. I'll get one in another 4-5 years for the :Princess: used.

I'd say its a demand thing. Not as many people spending that much money on vehicles as 4 years ago.

Shark Bait
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
GO had a couple on the lot last weekend.

Hulk
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I'd say its a demand thing. Not as many people spending that much money on vehicles as 4 years ago.

2011 Land Cruiser: starts at $68,020.
2011 Lexus LX11: starts at $78,555.

Are those prices significantly higher than 4 years ago?

Has Toyota priced it's top-of-the-line vehicle beyond the reach of its previous market of affluent customers?

Has the market for pricey SUVs really dried up?

Or is the 200 serious kind of a dud? It's certainly a ho hum design.

cbmontgo
02-23-2011, 07:43 AM
I was at Groove Toyota yesterday (on Broadway) and they had a black 200 Series. Beautiful truck. Only one on the lot as far as I could tell.

pmccumber
02-23-2011, 08:00 AM

Has Toyota priced it's top-of-the-line vehicle beyond the reach of its previous market of affluent customers?

Not nearly as many good frauds to indulge in in this economy. Back in the day, just in the front range, there were thousands who could cash in their options on their bogus companies and go buy 10,000 sq ft homes and assorted opulence.

With the DotCom, Telecom, and Housing Bubbles all burst, all that's left is real honest to goodness profit.

I wish that was a joke.

Red_Chili
02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Has the market for pricey SUVs really dried up?

Or is the 200 serious kind of a dud? It's certainly a ho hum design.
Yes.

If I had to replace the Chili tomorrow, I really have no idea what I would get. But sad to say, it would probably not be a Toyota.

On the other hand... after seeing Mike Caskey's work swapping the powerplant in the Chili... though it is a lot of work, it is far from impossible or even undesirable. Roll yer own.

Toyota V-8 in a Yeep JK, Diamond axles around Curry Ford 9"/Dana 60 ideas. Oh yeah, and an upside-down FJ40 bezel so I can go to CM. Assuming I could afford the fuel for such a beast.

sardi55
02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
The price point for the 200 series either in the LC or LX format are not really too high when factoring in inlflation and the weak state of the dollar. I know that when I had my 2000 LC 100 series I had the original sticker and well optioned the final price was $57600. With how much everything else has gone up the LC and LX are right in line. My guess would be that ladder frame solid rear axle v8 premium suvs just aren't selling like they were 4 or 5 years ago.

Corbet
02-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Not nearly as many good frauds to indulge in in this economy. Back in the day, just in the front range, there were thousands who could cash in their options on their bogus companies and go buy 10,000 sq ft homes and assorted opulence.

With the DotCom, Telecom, and Housing Bubbles all burst, all that's left is real honest to goodness profit.

I wish that was a joke.

Exactly. The way the commoners got such trucks a few years ago was by cashing out the equity in their homes. Can't do that anymore.

Red_Chili
02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." --Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion)

Yeah, I woulda figgered you for a browncoat, you're just not the Alliance type.
:D

My fav:

Book: I've been out of the abbey two days, I've beaten a lawman senseless, I've fallen in with criminals. I watched the captain shoot the man I swore to protect. And I'm not even sure if I think he was wrong. I believe... I just... I think I'm on the wrong ship.
Inara: Maybe. Or maybe you're exactly where you ought to be.

Er.... to pull this hijack right back to the OP topic... maybe wandering off the reservation is exactly where we ought to be. Might force a Toyota Reformation.

powderpig
02-23-2011, 09:13 AM
What, Toyota does not own the market now? They market what they can make a profit off of. Pure and simple. They also market hype like the rest of the auto manufactures. It is only a small % of people here in the states that actually look into the world car markets and see what is around. If more people did that and complained, we may get different vehicles here(with the caveat of passing our emission and safety standards which cost a bit of coin). Also putting pressure on our elected officials to change or modify the laws to allow imports of low volume vehicles would help the cause of allowing trucks or cars that some of us want. Until then we are stuck with what is allowed and what the manufactures give us to choose from.

powderpig
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
And what does that show. they all have dropped in sales. And who is it against, The domestic's, german car's or other small players?

Red_Chili
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Everybody. Whole automotive market share. Toyota is actually losing ground relative to everybody else. It's not vehicles sold, it's the percentage of vehicles that DID sell. Many makers' absolute numbers are down, but many are gaining marketshare at Toyota's expense.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Curse you Martin.... I followed that all the way to the end.....

I have been spending way more time at the Denver dealerships then I should admit. They all have 200s but only a couple..

I just did an autotrader search for 2003-2006 and 2 vehicles found. The 100s are rare also. One seller told me they bought it to ship to their brother in Maylasia but ended up not working out. Maybe the 100s are being shipped out of the US?

BreckBJ44
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
As so many stated. I would never buy a 200 series and actually use it for what it is... there are better and more fuel efficient ways to get to the mountains nowadays. With a price tag that high, there is no way I would drive it offroad on more than fire roads for at least a bunch of years.

Also, what we have to remember is that comparing a 100 to a 200 is not a good example of the jump/change in price or quality. Compare the 60 to the later FZJ80s and you see the difference. Luxury became a priority for toyota to ship to the states. The 80s in the rest of the world came in much more cost effective and less luxurious trim levels. Heck, you can get a 100 in aussie with cloth seats and part time 4wd if IIRC.

In addition, a change will have to happen since the economic downturn, with no end in sight, has curtailed the amount people are willing to spend on a new truck, lengthened the time between upgrades, and made people more fuel wary. All of these things kill the SUV, let alone the Land Crusier/LX as a case in point.

I want a modern 40... :)

wesintl
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Also, what we have to remember is that comparing a 100 to a 200 is not a good example of the jump/change in price or quality. Compare the 60 to the later FZJ80s and you see the difference. Luxury became a priority for toyota to ship to the states. The 80s in the rest of the world came in much more cost effective and less luxurious trim levels. Heck, you can get a 100 in aussie with cloth seats and part time 4wd if IIRC.

Sure it is. You can still buy a gxl with cloth seats and pretty stripped down. ok not part time 4x4. I don't remember if that was with the 105 or not.

It's been a slow evolution and you skipped the fj62 and fj80. If you want to make those comparisions you could compare a 1964 fj40 with an F bench seats etc to a 1979 fj40 with buckets, stronger 2F, ac, powersteering etc. one is way more luxurious than the other.

Hulk
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
No matter what the changes, people were buying Land Cruisers until recently. Down where I live, you see 100 series trucks everywhere. But it seems like the 200 is invisible. I'd love to see model year sales numbers.

wesintl
02-23-2011, 01:10 PM
my guess is it's due mostly to the economy the last 4 years. The 200 debut in 2008 which wasn't great economically. The sales #'s were similar to the 100 series, declining, and probably inline with the economy. the 2008 actually sold better than the last 2 years of 100's

the lc wiki has some sales #'s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser

Jacket
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
^Nice avatar :lmao: "I am the great Cornholio"

wesintl
02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
They are coming back to mtv. I heard they are going to watch you tube videos instead of music videos

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657156/beavis-butthead-return.jhtml

nakman
02-23-2011, 04:13 PM
They are coming back to mtv. I heard they are going to watch you tube videos instead of music videos

Awesome, I rarely watch tv but that may just bring me back.. "are you threatening me?!" :lmao:

and coincidentally, a similar discussion happening in the 80/100 thread posted earlier, you can pick it up here http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/456801-100-vs-80-a-10.html

Corbet
02-23-2011, 05:58 PM
But it seems like the 200 is invisible

That's because they look so much like a Highlander you don't realize your seeing as many as you are.

Is that because the average MTV viewer today has never seen an actual music video? I don't even know why its called MTV anymore.

cbmontgo
02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
I just did an autotrader search for 2003-2006 and 2 vehicles found. The 100s are rare also. One seller told me they bought it to ship to their brother in Maylasia but ended up not working out. Maybe the 100s are being shipped out of the US?

When I was shopping for a 100 Series in 2009, I heard from a lot of people in different parts of the country tell me that the low mileage (under 100K) ones are being bought here and shipped to Asia and the Middle East to be refurbished. I don't know first hand if this is true, but it does add up when you look around the country.

nakman
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Here you go, $69K and you can drive it home on Wednesday. http://www.stevinsontoyotawest.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=9c7b3fb60a0a0065000f5e12392c8fb6&locale=en_US

nicholasandrews
02-28-2011, 10:11 PM
that truck was there during the february meeting and the price then was $72k. maybe wait a few more weeks and it will come down to a very cheap $65k...

Here you go, $69K and you can drive it home on Wednesday. http://www.stevinsontoyotawest.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=9c7b3fb60a0a0065000f5e12392c8fb6&locale=en_US

Hulk
02-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Man, that thing is ugly. It looks like a giant refrigerator turned on its side.

Hulk
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
LOL! I don't keep up with them as much as you guys, but it took me a minute to realize that was a 200 and not a 100. I dunno, they just look a lot alike to me.

The difference is way more obvious when you see them in person. The 200 looks like a plump 4Runner. It looks good from the front, distinctive from the back, but the side views are very generic and uninspired.

RedCreeper
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
So are you a front or back kind of guy? LMAO

farnhamstj
03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
That's like saying a 100 looks like an 80. 80 looks like a 60. 40 looks like a jeep and........ well.....55's are like something out of a playmobil box. I see some similarities and the heritage of it all. Even Ige drives an 80 now. Bet you never thought that would happen. Give her a few years and she'll be behind the wheel of a 100.

Rezarf
03-02-2011, 08:08 AM
The 200 looks like a GM vehicle. Its lost its toyota soul. On the otherhand I saw a new 4runner and it was nearly as big as my Sequioa, it is huge compared to its size a handful of years ago.

BreckBJ44
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
The thing about shipping them overseas is true. My girlfriend drives an LX470 now and she had one before she sold to a guy, sight unseen, to be shipped to the middle east. Paid full price and no haggling...

She wont touch the new ones as she thinks they are Fugly with a capital F. I agree. I did see one early on in their release with a bunch of armour that didn't look as bad, but why can't we get a new 70 series truck in this country!

zornff
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Well, I have to say you need to drive one. I agree that they don't look as burly as a built 80 or 100, but it's the nicest driving rig I have ever been in. We have had 4 4runners, first one being an '86. We have also had 4 cruisers, 2 40's, and 2 55's. We still have the fj40.5 (Julius).
:Princess: always wanted a daily driver cruiser, and I could not talk her into a perfectly restored, all bells and whistles included fj55 :rant:
We ended up buying an '08 loaded to the hilt in February '09. We bought it in Durango as a dealer demo with 13k on the clock, and saved almost 20k (sticker was over 73k) and she is very happy with it. I just wish we could get the arctic truck conversion and run 35's :thumb:
Btw, they have a 2011 on the lot right now.:cheers:

Mike

Corbet
03-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Mike, I did not realize it was you that bought the demo at that time. I was selling cars at New Country at that time. I agree with you on how they drive. I took the 2011 out on a test drive the day it hit the lot. I could definitely see a used one in our future when the :Princess: grows out of the Subie.

zornff
03-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Mike, I did not realize it was you that bought the demo at that time. I was selling cars at New Country at that time. I agree with you on how they drive. I took the 2011 out on a test drive the day it hit the lot. I could definitely see a used one in our future when the :Princess: grows out of the Subie.

Wow, i had no idea you had worked there. Through my business i have leased 16 trucks over the years from them, and bought a few personally. I bought the '08 sight unseen. I bought 2 Toyota x-tra cabs from Gino when he was a newbie at the now CHP sub station, and we have had a good relationship since, and now he runs the place.

Corbet
03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Geno quit this January and is now the GM down at High Country in Farmington. There has been a huge turnover in Management over the past few months.

I'm happy to be out of the car business personally.

wesintl
09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

s_PzXIeKeQU

Jacket
09-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Bumpin' this thread for a B & B update....:lmao:

Corbet
09-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Toyota dealer in Durango just got a silver 200 series in if anyone has 76K laying around. I was disappointed that Toyota still does not offer cooled seats? Lexus does, hell you can get them in a Ford F150.