PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Power Steering

baja1d
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Anybody have an extra power steering set up for a '64 FJ40? Looking for a Power Steering Gear Box from a mini-truck or 4runner 1979-1985

subzali
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
what kind of power steering do you want? Factory FJ40, Minitruck or 60 series? I don't have any extra parts, but maybe somebody does. I know some people have had a bad experience with them, but check out JT Outfitters for p/s stuff. Also check out Iron Pig Offroad for 60 series p/s stuff (I'm not sure if they sell anything but the complete kit though). BTW, minitruck is basically a bolt-on, anything else requires fab/welding. See my sig line.

BreckBJ44
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
If you're going to add the PS, go with the 60 series and remove the push pull setup completely. Little fab work, but ton of write-ups out there and it removes a TON of slop from the system... It's one of my must do's when I dig deeper into my rig...

Sale of 62 and 80 boxes on mud... They are all essentially the same thing.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/460448-80-62-steering-boxes.html

Air Randy
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
What are you going to use the rig for? If you are going to stay with smaller tires, say 33's and below, the mini-truck conversion is the easiest and it works quite well. You can get the basic mini truck parts you need from YotaJim. You can buy the adapter brackets from numerous companies (I've bought a lot from JT Outfitters and have never had an issue).

If you are going to go with larger tires and run harder trails, you might want to consider going with a beefier steering setup (though the mini truck setup will take a lot of abuse). You can go 60/62 or you can consider a Saginaw conversion. Either choice requires about the same amount of welding & fab work. The saginaw uses almost bullet proof GM steering gears that are readily and cheaply available in salvage lots. It also gets rid of most of the Toyota push-pull linkage that introduces a lot of slop into the steering. But if you are a Toyota purist you probably want to go the mini truck route.

FJ40 oem power steering gears are like hens teeth. I had one in my FJ40 and Profitt's actually did a saginaw conversion free in return for giving them the oem gear. They were doing a high dollar restoration for a guy who insisted on having oem parts so it worked out good for me. The saginaw setup turns my 37's effortlessly and has zero slop in the steering.

baja1d
02-25-2011, 02:03 PM
The mini truck conversion sounds pretty good although I was originally planning on the 60 conversion. I wasn't too excited about welding since I'm novice at best and I was concerned about the stress on the frame. Anybody know if the mini truck swap stresses the frame like other conversions do?

rover67
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
The mini truck conversion basically is like the stock 40 power steering setup. The only reason you need a new frame bracket is because the mounting point for the box is at a different angle.

subzali
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Minitruck won't stress the frame any different than the OEM manual gear setup. I like the 60 series conversion because I didn't have the cut the front crossmember and I could still run a PTO winch if I wanted. I think with a little reinforcement (anything similar to what I did on mine) the frame is nothing to worry about.

baja1d
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Cool... thanks fellas. Just have to locate a mini truck box. Thought that I saw someone parting trucks out in the classified section.

baja1d
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Need a Power Steering Gear Box from a mini-truck or 4runner 1979-1985.