PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Wheel Bearing Packing Party (WBPP)

RicardoJM
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Mark your calendar and find your 52mm hub socket for the 2010 WBPP. This event is primarily geared towards getting together as a group and doing routine front end maintenance; clean and repack knuckles, birfields and replace seals. The club will buy pizza and sodas. You do need to bring your own tools, gloves, rags, manuals and jack stands. If you are a new vintage cruiser owner or recently taken an interest in doing more of your own maintenance on your vintage cruiser, this is a great event to get some experience as we generally have mentors in attendance who have maintenance experience.

DATE: March 26, 2011
WHEN: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
WHERE: B&T Bedliners
1683 W Sheri Lane
Littleton Co 80120

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what maintenance you will be doing. This event is an equal mix of fellowship, mentoring and wrenching. The schedule of activity will be to meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two. Keep the schedule in mind as you consider the maintenance you intend to do. Over the last couple of years, we have had quite a discussion (on the forum) about the types of jobs that are not appropriate and what types of jobs are appropriate for WBPP. If you have any questions about this, please contact me via PM.

If you are interested in helping with the mentoring, post up in this thread. It is very rewarding to pass on to the knowledge, skill, tricks and tips to someone new.

Our host again this year is Kevin Shipman, owner of B&T Bedliners. Kevin has expanded his operation a bit's shop has 2 lift and 6 bays. He also has added an alignment rack and if there is enough interest, he will bring in staff to provide Alignments for $39.95. Kevin can also arrange for window tint and clear bra work to be done while you are there. If you would like to get an alignment, window tint or clear bra (sorry no red, black, lace - just clear) post up in this thread. We WILL leave our host's shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in! Kevin's shop does not have a parts washer but he does have fluids recycle containers. An event like this can load up these facilities, so whoever is doing fluids, please plan on making a small donation for these costs.

I will be coordinating a group buy of parts for the event. As a budgeting guide, two years ago (I purged my pms) gaskets and seals for an early vintage front axle were about $65, accounting for inflation budget $80.

I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:
Alignments, Window Tints and Bras..

BailyFJ40; Door windows on 2003 Tacoma
RedCreeper, alignment on the Jeep
theboomboom possibly

Front axle service...

MDH33; front axle service on a 52mm/safety wire vintage FJ40 (has gaskets)
theboomboom; front axle service on an 82 Hilux
RockRunner; 19845 4Runner; front axle service (has gaskets) - back issues and needs a lift
Old40Dog; 80 Series front axle service
satchel; 62 Series front axle service

Carb swap...

CBONE; install a Jim C. rebuilt carb in a 60 series

Mentor...

TIMZTOY
ZironPig

MDH33
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Well, since I bought all the parts and didn't get to attend last year (WBPP or CM), how about signing me up again for an axle service. I believe I have all the needed gaskets, etc.

theboomboom
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I'll plan on doing the front axle service, also possibly interested in doing an alignment...

'82 Hilux 4x4

RicardoJM
03-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Well, since I bought all the parts and didn't get to attend last year (WBPP or CM), how about signing me up again for an axle service. I believe I have all the needed gaskets, etc.

I'll plan on doing the front axle service, also possibly interested in doing an alignment...

'82 Hilux 4x4

Got you both updated:thumb:

AxleIke
03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Hmmmm...I may come just to hang out, drink beer, and see what's all involved in a front axle service.

RockRunner
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Hmmmm...I may come just to hang out, drink beer, and see what's all involved in a front axle service.

You can help me, I will plan on redoing the front axle and maybe the rear axle seal. It has a small drip but I don't have time to do it before the pre run. Ricardo can we work on a lift for me please? Would like to keep my back sort of straight, thanks.

PS I have all the parts needed.

RedCreeper
03-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Can I align my front on my J____. i know its not a Cruiser. If not allowed no biggie.

FJBRADY
03-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Can I align my front on my J____. i know its not a Cruiser. If not allowed no biggie.

Bring it, no worries! :thumb:

TIMZTOY
03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
i can help but dont need any work done. i can bring tools and be a teacher or what ever you call it.

RedCreeper
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=FJBRADY;177202]One other question is how big is there rack?

RicardoJM
03-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Root beer:thumb:, can't do beer beer

You can help me, I will plan on redoing the front axle and maybe the rear axle seal. It has a small drip but I don't have time to do it before the pre run. Ricardo can we work on a lift for me please? Would like to keep my back sort of straight, thanks.

PS I have all the parts needed.
Got you on the list - keep in mind our time schedule, we want to do our best to not keep our host there too long. :thumb:

Like Steve said, that should not be a problem.

i can help but dont need any work done. i can bring tools and teacher or what ever you call it.
Most excellent:D

One other question is how big is there rack?
I don't know, should we be concerned?

Uncle Ben
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Think they come from the factory with more toe in than most! :rolleyes: :p:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_73c2a1c4cdaa4329981fa2490f3be9ea.jpg

baileyfj40
03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd like to get the front windows in Katie's Tacoma done. Do we know how much it would be?

Thx
Mike

Old40Dog
03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Need to re-do the front axle on Idelle's 80 if there's room. LMK.

RockRunner
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Got you on the list - keep in mind our time schedule, we want to do our best to not keep our host there too long.

Will do, I may just do the rear since I did the front only a month or so again ;)

RedCreeper
03-03-2011, 11:14 PM
[QUOTE=RicardoJM;

I don't know, should we be concerned?[/QUOTE]

The size of the truck. some racks wont hold the longer trucks.

RedCreeper
03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Think they come from the factory with more toe in than most! :rolleyes: :p:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/112/l_73c2a1c4cdaa4329981fa2490f3be9ea.jpg

ewwwww. that hurts...... guess that is why my tie rod is twice as thick.:eek:

RicardoJM
03-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I'd like to get the front windows in Katie's Tacoma done. Do we know how much it would be?
I don't know and will check into it. You have a PM seeking some additional information on Year of Tacoma and which glass you are wanting to tint.

Need to re-do the front axle on Idelle's 80 if there's room. LMK.
Dave, I've added it to the list, do you need me to pick up gaskets? IIRC, last year we ran into some issues with sourcing parts on the day of, it all worked out but I'd like to make sure we have all the parts on site to move things along. :thumb:

The size of the truck. some racks wont hold the longer trucks.
I realize that my last post was a bit cryptic:o, so - how big of a truck are you bringing? This will give the shop some information to assess if there will be any issues or not?

RedCreeper
03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Ricardo, i have a 02 1500HD GMC Crew Cab with a 6ft bed. I need to do ball joints and the torsion bar so a alignment will be in order.

RedCreeper
03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
oh i plan doing the ball joints before i bring it. i hope

satchel
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm up for doing a bearing repack on the 62 if there is room.

corsair23
03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Dumb question but how involved would it be to replace the TREs on an 80?

Figure I would need an alignment after doing that so this might be the perfect time to get it done. My left one is making a popping noise (I think the TRE is the culprit) when I hit bumps and Tch2fly mentioned they were popping slightly at a CM safety inspection last year or the year before so....

art hog
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I have the parts for the rear wheel bearings on my 55. But I have a ARB in the rear and have never messed with it. anyone with ARB experence going to be there? Might be a good time to do this.

RicardoJM
03-04-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm up for doing a bearing repack on the 62 if there is room.
I put you on the list:thumb:

Figure I would need an alignment after doing that so this might be the perfect time to get it done. My left one is making a popping noise (I think the TRE is the culprit) when I hit bumps and Tch2fly mentioned they were popping slightly at a CM safety inspection last year or the year before so....
I don't know how much work it would be and if it would fit into our time. Perhaps an experienced 80 person will chime in with some guidance.

I have the parts for the rear wheel bearings on my 55. But I have a ARB in the rear and have never messed with it. anyone with ARB experence going to be there? Might be a good time to do this.
Kinda of the same thing as with Jeff's work. I am familiar with installing a lunch box locker and do know that would fit into our time frame. Perhaps an experienced ARB guy will also chime in with some guidance.

Old40Dog
03-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Dave, I've added it to the list, do you need me to pick up gaskets? IIRC, last year we ran into some issues with sourcing parts on the day of, it all worked out but I'd like to make sure we have all the parts on site to move things along. :thumb:

Gaskets only. No brake issues on this one, it's a meer 19 years younger...

Air Randy
03-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I put you on the list:thumb:

I don't know how much work it would be and if it would fit into our time. Perhaps an experienced 80 person will chime in with some guidance.

Kinda of the same thing as with Jeff's work. I am familiar with installing a lunch box locker and do know that would fit into our time frame. Perhaps an experienced ARB guy will also chime in with some guidance.

Pulling the axles on an ARB equipped diff isn't much more involved than with a lunchbox locker. You pull the rear cover, the cross shaft bolt, the cross shaft, the pinion shaft and the C clips are right there. Reverse process to install. Pretty easy.

I've never done it on an 80 but I've installed 80 TRE's on other vehicles. It should be pretty easy. You may need a pickle fork to get the TRE out of the arms (or a BFH), a really big crescent or wrench to fit the lock nuts. Barring unforseen issues it should be about a 1 hour job.

Jacket
03-05-2011, 08:31 AM

I guess it depends on a couple of factors: how seized are the ends to the rods, and what kind of puller you have (or can borrow). When I did my 40, I broke two (cheap) pullers and had a whale of a time unthreading the end from the rod. On my 80, one of the ends of the TR came off in about 10 minutes, and the other I fought for several hours with PB blaster and heat. But that's with basic hand tools and a bench vice.

Now if you buy new ends, and then head down to Slee and pick up new heavy duty rods (beefy, and zinc plated to make your undercarriage shine :)), then the job becomes way easier. Pre-assemble the new TR and drag link, and then just pop off the old rods, replace them with the new ones, and get 'er aligned - done. That's what I ended up doing.

60wag
03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
For my 60, the Toyota ends came with a new rod so it didn't matter if there were rusted in place.

nattybumppo
03-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I would like to come by and watch/help, but I have to work that afternoon, so I won't have time to bring a rig to work on. I do need an alignment on my truck F150, if that shop opens up for us.

Inukshuk
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM

I might do this too. I need to but I am not sure of my plans that day.

Old40Dog
03-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Pulling the axles on an ARB equipped diff isn't much more involved than with a lunchbox locker. You pull the rear cover, the cross shaft bolt, the cross shaft, the pinion shaft and the C clips are right there. Reverse process to install. Pretty easy.

I've never done it on an 80 but I've installed 80 TRE's on other vehicles. It should be pretty easy. You may need a pickle fork to get the TRE out of the arms (or a BFH), a really big crescent or wrench to fit the lock nuts. Barring unforseen issues it should be about a 1 hour job.

I've got the pickle fork, if you have the BFH then it should all be a go! :lmao:

RedCreeper
03-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I've got the pickle fork, if you have the BFH then it should all be a go! :lmao:

When are you planning on being there? I have a air hammer if they have air and a pickle tool for it to make it go faster i can bring. brand eyed new. need to brake it in. but cant stay long. let me know.

Old40Dog
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM

When are you planning on being there? I have a air hammer if they have air and a pickle tool for it to make it go faster i can bring. brand eyed new. need to brake it in. but cant stay long. let me know.

Jeff, Are you still wanting to do the TRE's? When are you planning to arrive? Looks like the equipment can be available...

nicholasandrews
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
my axles are good, but would it be possible to come along and help out / learn? I've always wanted to know how to break down my axles.

RicardoJM
03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
my axles are good, but would it be possible to come along and help out / learn? I've always wanted to know how to break down my axles.

Most definitely, you are welcome to stop by learn and lend a hand. :D

It is an excellent opportunity to see the process first hand.

corsair23
03-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Jeff, Are you still wanting to do the TRE's? When are you planning to arrive? Looks like the equipment can be available...

I'd definitely like to :thumb:

Trying to figure out if it will work out with soccer etc.

PhatFJ
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I have the parts for the rear wheel bearings on my 55. But I have a ARB in the rear and have never messed with it. anyone with ARB experience going to be there? Might be a good time to do this.

The ARB is not bad to deal with if it is an RD08 then there are small pins below the allen head screws, these little pins need to be removed in order to remove the large cross pins. You will need either the ARB tool or, I found a long screw that fit down in there and pulled it right out. Other than this it is very straight forward.. :thumb:

art hog
03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
The ARB is not bad to deal with if it is an RD08 then there are small pins below the allen head screws, these little pins need to be removed in order to remove the large cross pins. You will need either the ARB tool or, I found a long screw that fit down in there and pulled it right out. Other than this it is very straight forward.. :thumb:

I have the ARB tool. not sure what RD08 is.

nicholasandrews
03-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks Ricardo!! i hope to make it!

Most definitely, you are welcome to stop by learn and lend a hand. :D

It is an excellent opportunity to see the process first hand.

RedCreeper
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
hope my air fitting matches dares........

RicardoJM
03-09-2011, 10:33 AM
hope my air fitting matches dares........

If yours is the standard one that is common for non-professionals, it likely will not. If you have an adapter bring it along. :thumb:

Red_Chili
03-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Nicht on dem pickleforken!! Use a TRE puller. Use the same one you carry on the trail.

Cheap from Harbor Freight too. Some may ding the HF quality... but if so, buy two. One will hold up.

Or... free rental from O'Reilly or Autozone or...

wesintl
03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
you don't need either a pickle fork or a tre puller. just a hammer... seriously

rover67
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM

that's usually my first line of attach, then comes out the puller.

pickle forks kinda mangle stuff.

corsair23
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM

That's how they popped out the last time...Once Ben showed me where to hit the stupid things :hill:

RicardoJM
03-16-2011, 07:34 AM
I'm putting in the order (theboomboom, Old40dog and satchel) for gaskets today. I will try to get heavy duty seals versus OEM. I'll also pick up a tub of grease for each of you.

Tom, Martin; as I understand it you guys already have the gaskets, seals and tub of grease. If you need any of these and would like me to add it to the shopping list - let me know.

RicardoJM
03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
We have got a couple of mentors signed up:D. In my experience, everyone's work goes smoother when there is an experienced mentor (or two) at each workstation.

While the wrenching is very straightforward, it seems like each person has a thing or two (stubborn cone washers, re-stabbing the axle, axle pops out of the birf, etc..) and many questions (how do I pack the bearing with grease, what do I do with the brake caliper, what order do these parts go back in, where did I put my lug nuts, how much more work is it to get to the trunion bearings, what's the deal with the axle, birfield and clips, if I bust a birf on the trail how much more work is it than what I'm doing here, etc.) where the mentor really helps move everything along.

As a mentor, your efforts not only make the day's work go smoother - they contribute to the ongoing future success of the club. The tips/techniques that you pass on and the experience your "student" gains; increases the collective strength of our membership; in preparing vehicles for trails and dealing with issues (when they occur) on the trails.

If you have the experience, I would appreciate it if you could sign up as a mentor and make the event. :thumb:

MDH33
03-16-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm putting in the order (theboomboom, Old40dog and satchel) for gaskets today. I will try to get heavy duty seals versus OEM. I'll also pick up a tub of grease for each of you.

Tom, Martin; as I understand it you guys already have the gaskets, seals and tub of grease. If you need any of these and would like me to add it to the shopping list - let me know.

I'll double check my parts and make sure I have everything. Pretty certain I do.

Dr. Schlegs
03-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I will swing by in the morning with some donuts and coffee. Can't stay long have a packed day - no pun intended. :eek:

Old40Dog
03-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Thanks Ricardo!...Doesn't each person bring their own gear oil if they want to change that too? Will Randy have his pump there again? If, not I have one I can bring but its a larger one and a bit cumbersome.

RicardoJM
03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Ricardo!...Doesn't each person bring their own gear oil if they want to change that too? Will Randy have his pump there again? If, not I have one I can bring but its a larger one and a bit cumbersome.

I don't know if Randy will be making it this year. I had intentions of getting a pail pump for my use, but have not gotten around to doing that. I do have a hand pump for the quart bottles and will be bringing it along.

RicardoJM
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Last year we had really nice weather and things are shapin up for more of the same this year. The forecast is calling for sun with a high temp in the 50's on Saturday. As it is only Monday, continue to keep an eye on the weather and hope for the best.

Mentors, I could use some help with making sure we have FSM reference for an 80 Series - I have the FSM for 71 FJ40, 82 Hilux and 60/62 Series which should cover the drum and disc brake front ends of the older trucks. If you are listed in post 1 as a Mentor but will not make it, please let me know. If I missed putting you as Mentor and you will be able to make, please let me know.

Jeff Zepp - can you bring your safety wire? We have one drum brake front end this year.

Participants, Be sure to bring plenty of rags, pans for your fluids, tools, jack stands, gloves, manuals. Don't forget chocks for your wheels. I strongly suggest disposable gloves, axle work is pretty messy and peeling off gloves is a lot easier than dealing with gojo on your hands. Eye protection is suggested. For cleaning parts, bring a bucket/tub and some solvent. Also a few cans of brake cleaner. I suggest an old toothbrush to help clean your parts, I also like those copper scouring pads. We want to leave Kevin's shop cleaner than we found it so be sure to bring plenty of rags and newspapers/cardboard so we don't mess up his floor and driveway. The cardboard really helps with the clean up process.

We WILL leave our hosts shop as clean or cleaner than when we came in!

Two things come to mind right now: first, everything takes longer than you think it should. There's always something. Some stupid bolt that won't thread back on, some stupid (fill in the blank) that won't come off the way it's supposed to. The second thing is that the most time consuming thing about this will be cleaning your parts. Trailside repairs seldom involve any more cleaning than necessary, but in this case you want to clean everything well.

We normally share our tools around, but make sure anything you've borrowed gets back to it's owner. Fish scales, hub sockets, seal pullers, seal drivers and torque wrenches are the types of tools that are usually passed around.

The club will buy pizza and sodas. We will meet at 8:00AM and start work no later than nine. We will shoot for wrap-up by one, and be out of there by two.

I put the parts orders (82 Hilux, 62 Series, 97 80 Series) in at Groove Toyota Friday, I just spoke w/ Gene and everything should be in on Wednesday. For the 82 Hilux and 62 Series, I have ordered Marlin Heavy Duty seals from Slee. For the 80 series, I have ordered OEM inner seals. In addition to gaskets and seals, I added claw washers and birfield clips for each truck. If you do not need them, we can return them for a refund. I will itemize parts for participants and expect reimbursement at the event when the parts are delivered. I'll also buy grease at a local parts store. Each participant will get a 4 pound tub which will be enough for a full front axle service plus some to take home.

corsair23
03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm out :(

I might try to stop by in the morning to point, laugh, and offer some form of encouragement :hill:

But I won't be tackling my tie rod ends...

MountainGoat
03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I could use some help with making sure we have FSM reference for an 80 Series...

I can bring my 1995 FZJ80 FSM. I will be assisting Martin on his front axle service. :thumb:

art hog
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
I think Im out too. I don't think 5 hrs is enough time to do what I need, Im always late, That cuts more time off. And 8:00 is opposite my working hours.

I did find a knuckle rebuild kit in my pile of parts I have bought, but have yet to install. I think I'll just do this at the house. Snow is all but gone.

RicardoJM
03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
I can bring my 1995 FZJ80 FSM. I will be assisting Martin on his front axle service. :thumb:

Thanks Dan, the Nakman pointed me in the direction to find what is needed for an 80 series front axle - so it shall be the belt and suspenders approach. :thumb:

MDH33
03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Jeff Zepp - can you bring your safety wire? We have one drum brake front end this year.

I have safety wire and a twister for my old junk. :hill:

Eldorado556
03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
If anyone from the Boulder/Superior/Louisville area is heading out I'd like to tag along and see the process. It would be good to meet some other Cruiser owners and get take a look at some other rigs.

TIMZTOY
03-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Not hard at all, jeff since your not coming i can easilly tackle those at my house any time you actually have free time :thumb:

you don't need either a pickle fork or a tre puller. just a hammer... seriously correct, a 4lb slege works the best, and fastest, and dosent damage the TRE.. i have a air hammer pickel fork and only use it when the BFH dosent work, lets just say the pickel still looks new,ish

Thanks Ricardo!...Doesn't each person bring their own gear oil if they want to change that too? Will Randy have his pump there again? If, not I have one I can bring but its a larger one and a bit cumbersome. i can bring my pump, it emptys a 1PT bottle of gearlube in 2 pumps.. i can also bring a cleaning station, w/ desial fuel that (Jeff z) gave me. if needed,

might want to just pm me, as im finding myself not really drifting through all the threads latelly

RicardoJM
03-23-2011, 09:52 AM
I have safety wire and a twister for my old junk. :hill:
Excellent:D

... i can bring my pump, it emptys a 1PT bottle of gearlube in 2 pumps.. i can also bring a cleaning station, w/ desial fuel that (Jeff z) gave me. if needed...
That would be great. I'll follow-up with a PM as well. :D

FJBRADY
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Looks like it is all coming together.....thanks again Ricardo!
:ranger:

RicardoJM
03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
If anyone from the Boulder/Superior/Louisville area is heading out I'd like to tag along and see the process. It would be good to meet some other Cruiser owners and get take a look at some other rigs.

Come on down, whether you can find a ride-along or not. :D

RedCreeper
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
OK now i am up in the air. Weather is not looking to warm for a ride with open windows. I will keep ya posted.

Inukshuk
03-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Not hard at all, jeff since your not coming i can easilly tackle those at my house any time you actually have free time :thumb:

Hijack: I propose we set a wrenching day for TRE's. I need to do mine as well and many hands make light work.

Will start a thread.

RockRunner
03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Ricardo I am not sure what I plan on doing there. I may try to work on my rig a little or just help out. Work may interfere but I am not sure:(.

RicardoJM
03-26-2011, 06:26 AM
Ricardo I am not sure what I plan on doing there. I may try to work on my rig a little or just help out. Work may interfere but I am not sure:(.

Ok, we'll be there.

RicardoJM
03-26-2011, 06:27 AM
We are all systems go and the weather looks like it will be cooperating. It should be a good day of wrenching and fellowship for the Rising Sun Club. See you all out there.