PDA

View Full Version : New shoes for the 80

Corbet
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
The new summer tires showed up today at the tire shop. Can't wait to give them a try on the pre-run.

General Grabber 315/75r16

coax
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Very :cool: The seem like a bit more aggressive version of the Terra grappler? And out of curiosity what led you to those tires in particular? Discount shows them as the most expensive tire in a 315, even more than the KM2's and MTR's.

Corbet
03-04-2011, 06:09 PM
A few things.

I tend to like to be different and no one is running these things on an 80 yet that I can find.

The sidewalls seem to be thicker than anything else out there.

The tread looks to be mild on the MT type so I'm hoping they don't make too much noise as my truck is the family rig too. And I like the look but the red letters are going in;)

Price :rolleyes: I did not do too bad at my local shop. He knows my truck is running around town every day all day. So he cut me a little bit of a deal I think in the hopes others will see them on the road.

RockRunner
03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
I wanted to get those tires for the Dodge but they did not have the load capacity I needed. I think you will really like those, only good reports that I have read. They are basically their race tire with a few minor changes.

I guess we will see how they do on slickrock;)

Woodsman
03-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Andy Cohen of Stonehinge/Finish Line West has them on a Lexus LX450 and they look AOK in my book.

Here's a linky to pics. Log in and hopefully you can see them.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?id=1385629073&aid=2106107

MDH33
03-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Just saw those on the 4WheelParts site. They were pretty reasonable in the smaller sizes. I'll be curious to hear what you think. Post up the "mounted" pics too. :thumb:

Corbet
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Teaser shot from my phone. They measure 34.75" mounted.

Corbet
03-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Few shots at home with a real camera. I plan to put them on the truck this weekend in prep for the CM11 pre-run. We got snow last night and I'm glad to still have my studded Duratracs on the truck. Last pic next to my spare Duratrac. The General is about a 1/2" taller. The Duratrac has about 3000 miles on it I think?

FJBRADY
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I would like to see you run studded tires on Moab slickrock :D

Woodsman
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm anxious to hear how these new Grabbers wear and how they handle wet and slick pavement conditions.

Corbet
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I think they will be pretty good. I can flex the lugs easier than the Duratracs. So the rubber feels softer to me. Probably not a good sign on wear but good on traction.

Old40Dog
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
A few things.

I tend to like to be different and no one is running these things on an 80 yet that I can find.

The sidewalls seem to be thicker than anything else out there.

The tread looks to be mild on the MT type so I'm hoping they don't make too much noise as my truck is the family rig too. And I like the look but the red letters are going in;)

Price :rolleyes: I did not do too bad at my local shop. He knows my truck is running around town every day all day. So he cut me a little bit of a deal I think in the hopes others will see them on the road.

Very interesting....will be watching for future reports.

Any optional letter colors? Like Rising Sun Yellow?

Woodsman
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I think they will be pretty good. I can flex the lugs easier than the Duratracs. So the rubber feels softer to me. Probably not a good sign on wear but good on traction.

I don't mind so much if a tire only goes 40K vs 50-60K miles. Since my ride primarily gets used for trips out west the long wearing tires (like my Nittos) will be all cracked and stuff before the tread is all gone. I would be even more attracted to them if they had some sipes in the tread.

Corbet
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
OK, I could not wait anymore. I put them on this morning. Drove around today. Very happy so far. Don't really make much more noise than my studded Duratracs just a different frequency of noise.

Pics for your enjoyment.

nakman
03-11-2011, 07:14 AM
now that's a happy looking 80! :thumb:

DaveInDenver
03-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Got those bling digity raised red walls and you turn them in? I'm embarrassed for you. :-)

Woodsman
03-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Looking good !

simps80
03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
those look great!
so does the whole truck!

Corbet
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
So far so good on the new tires. They did not do well at 16psi but down to 14 and they started hooking up real good. I'll play with air pressure some more but I'm very happy with them so far. On the HWY very quiet, (like AT)

MDH33
03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
14?! that's high speed hwy pressure. :rolleyes:

but then, I do run swamper bias ply in a 40. :hill:

Uncle Ben
03-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Even Truxs MT's need to be around 14 or lower to get sticky! 10-12 in the snow.

Corbet
08-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Figured I'd report back now that I've probably got 10,000 miles on the tires.

I've really liked them. Noise still is not bad but has gotten louder as they have worn. We run them to Myrtle Beach, SC and back in June. Hit some serious rain near Asheville, NC. They handled it great at 70 MPH including standing water. Also had a major hail storm in eastern CO that also gave the Generals no issue. However they suck in snow, a late May stormed proved it.

Wear is hard to judge as the first 3000 miles was very hard on them. CM-prerun, Farmington NM, Arch Canyon, and CM11. All took their toll on them. Since then wear has hardly been noticeable. No chunking, just rounding off the sharp block edges as expected. I've settled on 13psi for trail service.

Mud, have not seen any but I would guess they would be average at best. I consider these an aggressive AT tire which is perfect for my DD truck.

Corbet
05-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Final thoughts.

So yesterday I retired the Generals. I don't know my total mileage as I did not log it every season when I swapped tires but I'd guess around 35,000 miles. They had a little life yet but I don't like running things down to nothing.

Overall I really liked these tires and it was hard not to buy them again. After many trips of hard wheeling I only had a hand full of small chunks. Despite not rotating them as often as I should they wore pretty evenly. And were pretty quiet on the HWY down to the end. I did not experience any punctures or sidewall cuts during the life of them. I generally had to rebalance a couple every spring when they got swapped over but my local tire shop always did that for free.

Complaints: Snow performance was dismal. I only got caught in one spring storm with them but it was bad. Tread life.

My replacements are Toyo Open Country MT's. Basically the only reason I went this way was tread life. The Toyo's start with 21/32" of rubber where the General's start at 18/22". Treeroot reported an impressive lifespan out of his Toyo's plus they are basically the most popular tire down this way on the Oil/Gas field trucks. Only time will tell if I like them better.

smslavin
05-09-2014, 01:36 PM
My replacements are Toyo Open Country MT's. Basically the only reason I went this way was tread life. The Toyo's start with 21/32" of rubber where the General's start at 18/22". Treeroot reported an impressive lifespan out of his Toyo's plus they are basically the most popular tire down this way on the Oil/Gas field trucks. Only time will tell if I like them better.

curious to hear how you'll like those. when i originally built my fj, it was a toss up for me between those and the nitto trail grapplers. i may go toyos on the next truck.

Corbet
05-09-2014, 07:30 PM
I was also looking at the Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Oil/Gas guys like those too but the Toyo a little better.

My initial impression of the Toyo is good but I think I liked the Generals better. The Toyo's are about a loud new as the Generals were in the end. Kind of hard to tell as the frequency of sound is different. The Toyo's definitely seem to wander on the road a little. They are also a little squirrelly in the corners compared to the Generals too. But that is to be expected as there is more void in the shoulders with taller lugs.

It will probably be Father's Day before I wheel the truck again so offroad performance will have to wait. I expect them to be strong there.

I'm not unhappy with the Toyo's really in any way. Just my observations so far. If I adhere to a strict rotation schedule and get 50K of even tread-wear I'm sure I'll love the tire.

Get Outside
05-10-2014, 01:13 AM
I put a set of the Nitto Trail Grapplers on my 100 last summer, did some runs then off to 100s in the hills and they are great!
I run 50 psi on pavement. When I first aired them down they looked too squished IMO but I just let less air out after that.
They were unbelievable on snow! And the on line chart only shows so so for snow and I don't know why! They were great! I tried to make the truck slide around but it was hard to do it!

smslavin
05-10-2014, 06:15 AM
If I adhere to a strict rotation schedule and get 50K of even tread-wear I'm sure I'll love the tire.

When I sold the FJ, the Nittos had about 52k on them and at least another 10k in them. 5 wheel rotation every 5k. I was pretty impressed.

Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the Toyos.

They were unbelievable on snow!

I had the same experience.

imhighlander
05-10-2014, 07:06 AM
OK, I could not wait anymore. I put them on this morning. Drove around today. Very happy so far. Don't really make much more noise than my studded Duratracs just a different frequency of noise.

Pics for your enjoyment.

Love it! This is what my truck wants to be when it grows up.

imhighlander
1993 FZJ80

Corbet
05-10-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm going to shoot for a 3K rotation schedule. All 5 tires of course.

I will not really form a snow opinion as they will get pulled come November 1 for the studded Duratracs

Corbet
06-20-2014, 04:31 PM
:mad: Pretty much sums up my experiences so far.

I'm 3000 miles into them now after just 30 days. Yah I drive a lot. I've had one replace due to a "Radial Pull" defect. I've rotated them 3 times already. Honestly only one combo had me driving straight. The tire that has been on the truck the longest is already down 3/32" in tread.

So all and all I'm really not happy with these tires. Road noise is fine and traction is great. But unless they get harder as they wear I'm looking at only 20K in life and that could be only 6 months for me. :eek: At this point I can't ever see buying them again nor recommending them to anyone.

My last set the Red Label Generals drove straight as an arrow and I got around 35K out of them despite having 4/32" less rubber to begin with.

MTSN
06-20-2014, 04:44 PM
The tire that has been on the truck the longest is already down 3/32" in tread.

Are these the Toyo MTs? A tenth an inch of wear in 3,000 miles?! That's crazy!

Corbet
06-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Yes, Toyo Open Country MT

imhighlander
06-22-2014, 06:54 AM
In the "for what it's worth" category I'm about 8 months in on a set of Toyo Open Country AT 2s and am quite happy. I'm running 285/75s (not ready to regear) and have had it off-road several times on Kingston Peak, Devil's Canyon, Mt. Princeton, Snow/Pizza run, etc.

The AT tread is definitely harder than the mud terrains and likely won't grip the gnarly stuff as well, but I've found them to be a great solution for blended driving.

They're quieter than my truck itself is, so I don't notice road noise. The tread is wearing evenly and is very deep after 15,000 miles. They're supposed to be rated to 50,000.

Unless something goes very wrong, I suspect I'll be a Toyo fan for a long time.

nakman
06-22-2014, 10:16 AM
something's not right Corbet. My 80 was as heavy is yours is and I got 40k out of my set of Toyos.. including a trip to Rubithon, and countless Moab and Co adventures. They always balanced well and ran straight, got a little loud towards the end but other that that were a decent tire. They got spooky in snow though particularly towards the end of their life, definitely not good for winter highway travel.

but something's not adding up... what's your born on dates? they all the same?

simps80
06-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Toyo compound changed resulting in significantly lower life corresponding to some production facility move or something iirc
John bought new after mike had his for a while and johns wore out b4 mikes

Corbet
06-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Born on dates are 5212 from memory well except the one that was put on in warranty. I heard about the compound change from Mike too. Not sure when that went into effect but mine are USA production tires. I think the long lasting ones might have been Japan?

Anyway my shocks are in pretty bad shape. I plan to replace them asap. Hoping that helps a little.