PDA

View Full Version : Scion Head Unit

pmccumber
03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Got around to stuffing that T1808 into the 80. Got it on eBay for just under $80.

Quite a bit of cutting and grinding involved but it came out very nice. I'm going to order some new speakers for the front (for a start) and put them in on a nice warm day.

I really like the iPod interface.

farnhamstj
03-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Looks good.

LARGEONE
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
That looks great, Paul.

Was most of the trimming just the plastic bezel?

pmccumber
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
That looks great, Paul.

Was most of the trimming just the plastic bezel?

Yes. There was trimming on the left side of the head unit itself though. About 1/2" of the black plastic around the edge had to be taken down.

The bezel trimming was (a) to make the opening big enough to fit the unit, (b) trimming plastic on the back of the bezel right where the unit and the bezel meet to allow the bezel to seat further, and (c) grinding the left side of the bezel where the bezel has a screw housing.

After that, it would seat.

LARGEONE
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info...looks really nice.

RockRunner
03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I really like the iPod interface.

Is that the reason why people switch to these decks or why? I have seen a lot of these kind of swaps so just curious.:confused:

nakman
03-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Is that the reason why people switch to these decks or why? I have seen a lot of these kind of swaps so just curious.:confused:

Yeah pretty much. The older Scion HU's can take an auxillary input, so you buy another box and can plug in anything that connects to RCA's.. it's just a headphone jack though but still an upgrade to a tape adapter or FM transmitter.

But the newer one is USB to iPod cable, so you get some controls, etc. Nice work, Paul. :beer:

edit: reminds me of this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1711&highlight=scion which was a lot of fun.. install info on page 4!