PDA

View Full Version : 4 Speed Conversion, Engine Parts

Rzeppa
06-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Okay, so I'm building my spare F and getting ready to stick my spare H42 into my 71. I figure to kit the t-case when I do the swap. I'd like to deal locally with RS and TLCA friendly vendors.

I know I'll need:

Transition gear for the t-case
T-case input bearing (Datsun B-210)
T-Case kit
Driveshafts re-tubed (Englewood?)
Cam, crank and rod bearings, cam freeze plug
Piston Rings

I *think I might* need:

Longer speedo cable
Longer E-Brake cable
Crank bearing cap shim set

Suggestions? TIA!

Rzeppa
06-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Bump. Suggestions anyone?

Shark Bait
06-07-2006, 12:24 AM
I would definitely try Ron Korzen at Rocky Mountian Cruisers in Englewood. 303-789-1614.

Rzeppa
06-07-2006, 12:40 AM
I would definitely try Ron Korzen at Rocky Mountian Cruisers in Englewood. 303-789-1614.Thanks Chris. I visited Ron last Friday fror a good spell; he doesn't have any of the stuff I need. He did give me a spare shifter boot for my conversion (Thanks Ron!) It was a fun time, and I tried to buy his business (seriously) but that's not happinin'. I also tried Joe at CTS. AFAIK, Jim Sanville is so busy fixing tanks, Hummers and helicopters he isn't doing LC parts anymore.

trucruiser
06-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I believe i may have the transition gear and bearing , also the spacer you will need.
Give me a call. 970-898-7448 7:00am-3:30pm
Carlos

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I believe i may have the transition gear and bearing , also the spacer you will need.
Give me a call. 970-898-7448 7:00am-3:30pm
CarlosHi Carlos, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. I did get the bearing from Carquest (Datsun B210 rear wheel bearing), and ordered the gear in from Joe at CTS. It came in on Monday, and I went to pick it up yesterday and it turned out to be the wrong gear. He ordered the right one in 2nd day, so it should be here tomorrow.

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 11:53 AM
also the spacer you will need.Spacer? What spacer? I've never heard of needing a spacer; I thought you just swap the gear and bearing?

Shark Bait
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Spacer? What spacer? I've never heard of needing a spacer; I thought you just swap the gear and bearing?

In place of the PTO gear, maybe?

trucruiser
06-14-2006, 12:00 PM
You have to take out the PTO gear since it will be the wrong spline count if i am correct.

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Done so far:

Two F engines disassembled, a 71 and a 72.
All internal parts cleaned on both motors, external parts cleaned from the 71.

Two walls were scored on the 71 block, so I'm using the 72 block, but the crank, cam, oil pump and timing gears from the 71. Lots of broken rings, several mangled pistons from both engines. I picked the best 6, 4 from the 71 and 2 from the 72.

Valves lapped.
Oil pan, side cover and timing gear cover painted.
Crank plastigaged.
Crank installed.
Rods plastigaged.
Rings installed.
Pistons installed.
Oil pump reassembled and installed.
End plate installed.
Crank gear installed.
Cam installed.

Since I had to use the 72 block, I have to use the valve cover from the 72, as the one from the 71 doesn't have an oil fill hole. The sucked because I hadn't cleaned the one from the 72 and it had scads of rust inside. It's done now and ready to paint.

I ordered the clutch kit in from Carolina Clutch last Tuesday the 6th. It was supposed to have been here yesterday. I called this morning for a tracking number and they hadn't shipped it yet!!!

Rzeppa
06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
You have to take out the PTO gear since it will be the wrong spline count if i am correct.I'm pretty sure I don't have a PTO gear, just a spacer already. Darn; I was inside the inspection cover just about a year ago and don't remember for sure whether it's got a PTO gear or not. I know my 76 only had a spacer. Guess I better go check that. Thanks!

Rzeppa
06-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, I have fallen back to plan B. Parts that were supposed to have been here a week ago are now scheduled for tomorrow, and that would just be cutting things too close to lead the Father's Day Run (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1607), so I'm just going to drive her and cross my fingers. She's got a good little knock at higher RPMs under higher throttle positions, but nothing at idle or lower RPMs, even under heavier throttle. She did fine on all the trails at Moab and got me home okay.

I should have known that things weren't looking good, deadline-wise, aside from parts being late. Yesterday, I cleaned and painted the valve cover, then set it outside in the sunshine to dry. About an hour later I heard a tremendous "clunk" on the garage door. I opened the garage door to find that the wind had knocked the box over, and the valve cover was sitting in the dirt, wet paint side down.

I did get the oil pan on, all the lifters installed and all the valves installed in the head, then gave up early at around six o'clock. Anybody ever install valves before? Those ittie bittie keepers are a PITA! A couple of lifters didn't want to go in and needed a little tapping to get them in, I hope that doesn't turn into a problem when I go to start her up.

I sanded the dirt out of the paint and repainted the valve cover today, that's it. Maybe put the timing cover and head on later on today, but I need to install a new front door on my house first.

Rzeppa
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
I think I'm going to start a new thread on this project in the general/tech area. At this point it's getting to be more tech than where to get parts questions. Thanks for all the suggestions!