PDA

View Full Version : OME suspension questions

Eldorado556
03-10-2011, 06:50 AM
I'll be ordering my OME springs tomorrow. I'm going with the medium 4R springs. Anyone ever had issues with the "lean" from the left and right springs. Just curious if it's a real concern or not.

I'm going with OME for the springs and steering stabilizer but sourcing other parts from CCOT.

Shackles (http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/shackletri.html), hanger pins and bushings (http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/pinkitsprinh1.html), shocks (http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/hfsshocks.html).

Going this route saves me over $200 which gets me on the road about a month faster. Plus I get get the bushings in blue to match my truck. :confused:

Jacket
03-10-2011, 09:05 AM
My 40 with OME springs leans quite a bit to the driver side, but I'm not sure if 40 lean and 60 lean are similar. My truck leaned before the new springs as well though. The PO included a spring spacer in the box of parts he gave me that is supposed to correct the lean and level it out again. You might look around at CCOT or SOR and see if they still make it.

MDH33
03-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Double check the dimensions of the parts before mixing components from two manufacturers. I found out the hard way that there are big variations in spring width, etc.

Where are you ordering parts from? You can get the whole OME kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for a good price that includes everthing you need. You would only have to pay shipping once.

Eldorado556
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Double check the dimensions of the parts before mixing components from two manufacturers. I found out the hard way that there are big variations in spring width, etc.

Where are you ordering parts from? You can get the whole OME kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for a good price that includes everthing you need. You would only have to pay shipping once.

Ordering the springs from 4X4 Connection. Best prices around. Even coming from CT shipping is cheaper than from Cruiser Outfitters. Cheaper than Slee as well due to no sales tax.

wesintl
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
? 4x4 connection is in VA and is really Iron Pig offroad behind the scenes.

Chris
03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Pay a couple extra bucks and support Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters if you're not buying from Christo. That's what I did simply because I believe in helping him out after the fire, sorry Christo!

Beater
03-10-2011, 02:20 PM
buy local - buy often

CBone
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Installed OME heavy-heavy on my 60 about 10 months ago--no lean from driver to passenger.

I would discourage mixing CCOT with OME gear. I know $200 is $200, but I'd stay all OME and I agree, go with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

Corbet
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
I think most lean issues are from having the springs installed on the wrong side. Put the drivers side spring on the passenger side as trucks in AU are RHD and you should be fine. My 60 on OME mediums sits level if the load is even inside.

Does CCOT have an answer on compatibility?

waggoner5
03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Getting a great deal on mail order parts is cool right up until you need help with the install or half to get the parts warrantied, then that great deal is out the window.

Corbet
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Getting a great deal on mail order parts is cool right up until you need help with the install or half to get the parts warrantied, then that great deal is out the window.

This is true and why I asked if CCOT could offer any assistance. Both vendors he is purchasing from are on the up and up IMHO. Its just the mix of parts that could lead to trouble.

Eldorado556
03-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Well the springs, steering dampener and rear u-bolts are on the way. Freight was only $100 for the pallet so I added the u-bolts to the order.

I'll do some research and figure out how I want to go with the shackles and shocks.

DaveInDenver
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
buy local - buy often
Dunno about the often part, but I was sure glad I got my OME leafs from Christo when the extra leaf I ordered came in wrong. He and Ben got the situation fixed without a bunch of headache.

Eldorado556
03-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Well the shackles "might" work. :confused:

Hello Bruce -

I do know that our Tri-Shackles will fit the Old Man Emu lift springs for a late model FJ40 (see below) but I don't remember ever installing the Tri-Shackles on an FJ60 w/Emu springs.

It will be the military wrap that would prevent the spring from fitting the Tri-Shackle and I'd think that their wrap would be the same for the FJ60 as it is for the FJ40

You could order them and if they don't fit, then all you'd be out is the shipping.

Be careful not to scratch them up so they could be re-sold as new if returned.

- Chuck

Chris
03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Well the shackles "might" work. :confused:

I don't remember ever installing the Tri-Shackles on an FJ60 w/Emu springs.

I think that refers to CCOT shackles, right? IIRC I used MAF to source mine when I had a 60 series and they worked fine, I doubt they're any different so you should be good.

RockRunner
03-13-2011, 10:43 PM
When ordering the different parts did you take the extra shipping into account? That is what usually keeps me from buying from multiple vendors.

Eldorado556
03-14-2011, 07:38 AM
When ordering the different parts did you take the extra shipping into account? That is what usually keeps me from buying from multiple vendors.

Sure did. The pallet of springs was only $100. Most places charge around $150 for the freight. Shipping for the rest of the parts from CCOT is $46. Gonna take the $ saved, put it in the gas tank and head for the hills. :thumb:

Eldorado556
03-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Springs have arrived. One step closer to getting rid of the saggin' wagon.

Probably gonna end up replacing the tie rods and getting new sway bar bushings. Might as well do it all at the same time.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0527.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/ilbruche/Landcruiser/IMG_0522.jpg

rover67
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
sexy!!

Don't forget, on the rears, the plus goes on the driver's side. on the front it doesn't matter since they are both the same.

wesintl
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
AUS driver side or US driver side? :D

rover67
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
yeah yeah yeah :)