PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family

Jacket
03-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Brought her home on Saturday from Co Springs. She's a hoot, but man I forgot how much work a new puppy can be. I guess we won't be traveling much this year....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/misc/juno/juno1.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/misc/juno/juno2.JPG

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/misc/juno/juno3.JPG

RockRunner
03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
That is one cute puppy ;) What is the actual breed? Good luck with the training, I am sure you will do great :thumb:

wesintl
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
cool pup! we have a new addition too. We just decided on a GSP from a rescue. We pick her up friday :D

Dr. Schlegs
03-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Bernese Mountain Dog. What's the name of your dog?

Jacket
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks - indeed she's a Bernese. Her name is Juno.

Rock Dog
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
What a cute little guy... Puppy's are so much fun!

Lars
03-14-2011, 06:40 AM
very cute. Congrats

I know the feeling about a puppy. I picked up a 18 month old lab great dane mix a couple of weeks ago. talk about energy.

Corbet
03-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I guess we won't be traveling much this year....

Great looking pup. In my experience the more you travel now the easier it will be when the dog is matured. Take the pup to the store before it gets hot. Or any other short trips. Get out and go camping. More the better IMO. Porter went everywhere as a pup. He travels great now as an older dog.

FJBRADY
03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Love the colors of those dogs....nice puppy!

Has Sam figured out his new daily/weekly chore yet?

Here's to you Sam :cheers:

farnhamstj
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
That's a cute dog Matt.

rover67
03-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Awwwweeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Jacket
03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Thanks - yea, she's fun but certainly a handful at this stage (9 weeks).

In usual fashion, Sam is clueless. I'm afraid he might lose rank in the family pecking order. She's already found his vulnerabilities and is exploiting his weaknesses. She likes to chew on his head....

Groucho
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I agree with travel now. However, Kenosha liked to travel earlier in his life, but now that he is in his golden years he isn't too fond of it anymore.

Life expectancy is short(6-8), but our breeder had many living to 12 years old. Where did you get her?

Kenosha is 7 this year.

Jacket
03-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Nice! He's a beauty!
Yea, or our Chocolate Lab that died a year ago (@12 yrs) stopped coming on trips because his body couldn't handle it anymore (and we didn't have room for him in the pickup). The new pup will definitely be coming out on camping trips and stuff like that. But the trip to New Zealand we were trying to put together for 2011/2012 - well that's on hold for a while.....

She came from a lady in Colorado Springs who breeds and shows them. My wife did all the research and networking to find her. We've heard about the short lifespan, and our vet did indicate that these dogs have their fair share of health problems. But despite all the warning signs we did it anyway.... The kids are just loving it, and it's nice to have the extra help.

And she slept last night from 10:00 until 5:45 - not bad for her second night at home....

rover67
03-14-2011, 09:30 AM
We'll watch the dog while you are in New Zealand. Heck we'll watch her any time.... we owe you dog watching time :)

Groucho
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Same with us and the health stuff. We went for it. Our breeder is in Watkins, just east of DIA. As luck would have it, we called the day after the litter was born. The breeder said it was a longshot, but put us on the list of potential owners. She made us "interview" with the pups for almost 6 weeks before she announced who would get dogs. I still have a picture of my wife when he was a few weeks old sitting on my desk at home. He was so cuddly!

They have awesome temperaments, and I have never worried about him with the kids. He and Jonah have become fast friends. They are always excited to see their "people", and just love being with you, no matter what you're doing. You guys will love it.

If you need dog sitters, we could potentially do it as well.

wesintl
03-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Choose a good premium food. There is so much dog food out there that has filler in it. It'll keep your dog healthy and hopefully prolong life :D

subzali
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice looking pup Matt! Love the Bernese Mountain Dogs!

Corbet
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Choose a good premium food. There is so much dog food out there that has filler in it. It'll keep your dog healthy and hopefully prolong life :D

Good advice there. I feed Porter "Taste of the Wild" now. He was on "Puppy Pro Plan" as a pup. Generally if you buy it at the grocery store you probably should look into another option. Your breeder probably has some good suggestions if you need help.

Premium food is not a great expense when you consider everything else. One meal out for me buys Porter 3 weeks of chow. :puppykisses:

Dr. Schlegs
03-14-2011, 12:54 PM
They are awesome dogs and I love the markings of them. They are BIG dogs once they grow to adulthood. Big dog = big poop.:D

baileyfj40
03-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Katie and I have a male that is just over two, he weights about 170 lbs. Loves to go wheeling.

Jacket
03-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Yikes! 170 lbs is huge.

RockRunner
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM

I totally agree, look for food that lists meat first and then vegetables. We sell all kinds of food with Salmon, elk, deer and bison. Our thoughts are that the normal type foods are and have been causing dogs to get cancer. We get more people who lost their dogs that way than I care to remember. If you want some brands just LMK and I will pm you some.

Nay
03-15-2011, 06:58 PM
She is beautiful - I love the thin blazes.

We have two Berners - my 8 month old male Zurich is getting close to 90 lbs, our female Treva is about 75-80 lbs. They are incredible dogs, but as the saying goes "Berners are like potato chips - you can't have just one".

(You'll figure that one out, especially since she is a girl) :D

Ours were both completely housebroken by 16 weeks, it goes fast.

Jacket
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Two years old now. She's a keeper! I've never had a dog with such a good temperament.

loudbay
01-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Good lookin dog! I love all the mountain breeds. We have a Pyr/Akbash mix. 2 yrs old last October.

RockRunner
01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Still beautiful! Very majestic looking, I love it when they pose like that. Buca does that too but his owl eyes make him look wise.

Enjoy