PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy body work supplies in Denver

dirtyXplorer
03-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi All,

I am attempting for the first time, to prep my FJ40 for a new paint job and need some materials. Mainly looking for some sanding blocks, sandpaper (rolls?), primer, color matching and paint...

I have checked the local auto part stores and googled but have not really found too much. I am guessing there are some specialty stores around?

Specifically, I am looking for a larger sanding block (~10") and a roll or larger sheets of sandpaper to fit in it.

Thanks!

RockRunner
03-15-2011, 09:40 PM
There is a painters supply store of Hampden and Sante Fe. They are about 2 blocks south on the west side. There name starts with Painters ????? They deal mostly with pro's but they didn't mind helping a noob like me.

L43dean
03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
B-D COMPANY, 1361 south Broadway, Colorado 80210. 303-744-1405. This is a supplier to the body shop industry that also sells to the public.

74fj40
03-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Agree with RockRunner. Ironically enough its called Painters Supply! Good Luck!

Art Volmer
03-15-2011, 11:37 PM
I have driven by here but have never stopped and shopped. They are just past Sheridan if you are on the west side of denver.
Mayer Paint Equipment
5390 West 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO
(303) 422-2822 ‎

dirtyXplorer
03-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Wow, thanks for the responses. I will have to check some of these places out tomorrow.

Now, looking for paint options...have someone paint it or buy the tools and try it myself in my tiny garage. What have you guys done? Does anyone on the boards here do some auto painting on the side? :-)

RockRunner
03-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Do it in your garage. I did our boat in the garage and turned out great, my 4Runner was done in the garage too. It all comes down to prep, sand, sand and sand some more. Then make sure you clean your garage out completely of any dust and or flying debris.

Find some video that shows hoe to start and stop the gun so you don't get to much paint at the edges and you are good to go.

Good luck!!

RicardoJM
03-16-2011, 08:16 AM
...Now, looking for paint options...have someone paint it or buy the tools and try it myself in my tiny garage. What have you guys done? Does anyone on the boards here do some auto painting on the side? :-)

I took my truck out to AirRandy's along with 10 cans of Rustoleum Sail Blue. Pulled it into the shop at 9:00 am and by 1:30 it was done. Prep work consisted of running it through the car was that morning. It is by no means a great paint job, but considering what went into it - I've been very pleased with how it has held up over the last 18 months. :D

Before:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/webster2009/w_three40s.jpg

After:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/sailblue/w_sb14.jpg

subzali
03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Painted my hardtop cap at my parents house. Turned out great, again prep, prep and more prep. You will spend 90% of your time prepping and cleaning and 10% of your time actually laying down paint. I went to Painter's Supply for everything I needed, my dad had the paint gun from another project. It's really not that hard, just takes practice like anything. Several folks on MUD like PPG products. I'd say that's hard to beat.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/440381-ive-got-my-hash-pipe-7.html#post6343780

treerootCO
03-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I use Painters Supply. They stop mixing paint prior to close of business so don't go in late expecting them to mix some paint up for you.

dirtyXplorer
03-17-2011, 10:31 AM
It is kind of a long shot but...since I dont have the right compressor/spray gun/skills but I do have my little garage, would someone be interested in coming over one day (or me going to you) and having a little painting party? I could supply food or drinks or pay you for your time. Probably not for a few weeks.

Rezarf
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Another cheap option is to get to a Sherwin Williams Auto paint supply, they can mix up your custom color into spray cans. They get cheaper as you buy more. Its a pretty nice quality automotive paint as well.

My guy in Boulder was VERY helpful when I painted my trailer a few years ago.

They have everything you need.

dirtyXplorer
03-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Went to Painters Supply today. They were really helpful and I ended up picking up some sand paper and a block to start with.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/dirtyXplorer/IMG_3405.jpg

SteveH
03-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Here's an idea I used - get a few scrap hoods at a local boneyard (sweet talk the guy and tell him you'll bring them back) and test paint on them. I would scuff and prep them as needed, but then shoot primer and paint at them and see what it takes to get runs and not get runs, to get orange peel, and no orange peel, etc. Painting junk body parts (or a pickup bed trailer) is a great way to get experience before you paint your baby, er, FJ40. hoods are best in that they offer the most painting surface area. They're bad in that they don't have complex curves like an FJ40.

Hulk
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Isn't there a place in Denver where you can rent full size painting stalls? I remember driving past it years ago, but I don't remember where it was. Seems like it might have been in the Lakewood area.

dirtyXplorer
03-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I should probably start a new thread but...most of the body has several layers of paint. To prep the rest of the body, would it be better to sand it and paint over the existing paint or strip it down to metal?