PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland Trail 4/16

CO Hunter
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Hey guys we (Colorado Land Cruisers) have a trail run planned for 4/16 up your way on Switzerland Trail. From what we understand this can be fun in the snow but rather mild when it's dry. Does anyone know what the snow conditions are like up there? I realize a lot can change between now and then but as dry as it has been down here we are wondering if we should start making alternate plans. Also, if you guys have an alternate recommendation we are open to suggestions. By the way, you are all invited along. :cheers:

CO Hunter
03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Bueller, anyone?

Any feedback would be great, 2 weeks out. Thanks

Loki
03-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I'll be headed that way this weekend, so I can let you know.

Eldorado556
03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
I was up near Sugarloaf this past weekend and the parts of Switzerland I was on were dry. Not sure about the rest.

ianacole
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Darn ... a week earlier or a week later and I'd be able to join in the fun :(

60wag
03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
The part that goes from Sugarloaf down to Sunset and back up towards Gold Hill doesn't usually hold much snow except for the 100 yards right near Gold Hill road.

The part of the trail that goes west from Sugarloaf towards Peak to Peak highway has a half mile portion of north facing slope that is usually filled with snow. With several rigs, several winches and some shovels, you can frequently make it though there. I haven't been up there lately so I can't add any real up to date info.

CO Hunter
03-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the great information everyone. Paul, please post up any new intel from this coming weekend.

RedCreeper
03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
I was up there a month or so back and had a light dusting of fresh snow and a few inches of ice under it. We hit the spur trails and I almost went off trail and had to winch back on but the guy in front of me was not so lucky and almost lost his rig. This is to show how it can change up there. Spur trails are fun but dont know any recent intel. The ice under it all made it real interesting.

Air Randy
03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Darn ... a week earlier or a week later and I'd be able to join in the fun :(

I'm going down to Buena Vista and running Chinaman's Gulch this Saturday. Bring your 40 down, it can do CG just fine. Were meeting at the trailhead at 9:30.

ianacole
03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm going down to Buena Vista and running Chinaman's Gulch this Saturday. Bring your 40 down, it can do CG just fine. Were meeting at the trailhead at 9:30.

Responded to your PM.

powderpig
03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
the county will be doing some maintaince in the next few week on the sections up from 4 mile creek road. They will be making it a escape route for any flooding that may happen in the next few years. So that will mean they will make it drive-able for 2 wheel drive high clearance(maybe even low clearance). So If you want to see it as more of a trail. You may want to do it soon. other wise it may be more of a dirt road.