PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Moab 2011 pre-run

Corbet
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I didn't take a lot of pics this weekend as I had Bridger with me. He did great at 17 months and his first time camping.

Few of Cliff Hanger. We had a break shortly after the creek crossing. I followed the broken truck out after a clever trail repair.

Myself, Farnham, & myself again.

Corbet
03-20-2011, 04:11 PM
A few of Bridger for good measure.

His new sleeping while wheeling technique. First s'mores. Sleeping in the tent. Pancakes for breakfast.

nattybumppo
03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Now that's a cruiser kid!

Trapper50cal
03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
The reach up and brace with the upper bolster move....born to cruise:D

No pics of the LCA?

Corbet
03-20-2011, 05:33 PM
No pics of the LCA?

OK, happened somewhere on Cliff Hanger. I did not get out to check after every bump to determine where.

Bent passenger side rear lower control arm.

Dr. Schlegs
03-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I hope everyone made it home safe. I don't have many pictures, but I have plenty of good memories. Scott and Steve worked their magic on the night run in BFE. Seeing amazing trails, amazing rigs, and amazing drivers on that night run; was truly impressed.

I have some clicking in my birfs as I'm turning, so the saga of my front axle continues. Longfields - might just do the trick. I have to put the gears in up front anyway might as well throw some more money at the thing.:rolleyes:

I hope everyone had plenty to eat this morning. I want to thank everyone that came out and those that tried to make it out. Cruise Moab is a big event and requires help from everyone - no matter ability level - to make it a success.

:risingsun

Rock Dog
03-20-2011, 09:35 PM
sounds like it was a great time! Sorry i had to miss it :(:(

bh4rnnr
03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
A good trip.

:risingsun

:beer:

leiniesred
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
thanks to everyone for making the 2011 pre-run one for the record books! We covered a ton of ground and a ton of topics.

Hey Dave thanks for the "spot" all the way home on I-70!

Some images:
Did it snow on the way out Thursday night? Yes. enough to freeze over my headlights!
7 mile rim explorers at tusher tunnel
dome plateau explorers

RockRunner
03-21-2011, 12:50 AM
One of the only shots I have of the trip, climbing the wall (http://youtu.be/cw22avBiaQM)

First try was in two wheel drive got about halfway up but it is amazing what a flip of the lever will do for you:rolleyes::eek:

waggoner5
03-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Where is the wall?

RockRunner
03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Where is the wall?

Wall big rocks whatever it takes;) Could not remember the name of the obstacle but will try to find out later.

Beater
03-21-2011, 09:29 AM
older parent tip: Grandpa voice on - "roll up a small blanket and wrap around this neck like and airplane pillow"

It'll do wonders for his/her fatigue level at the end of the day.

leiniesred
03-21-2011, 10:20 AM
looks kinda like rock chucker, Tom.

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Few of Cliff Hanger. We had a break shortly after the creek crossing. I followed the broken truck out after a clever trail repair.

Broken tie rod end. Trail fix held all the way back out....nice inginuity Farnham.

Couple things I learned. The town of Moab does not carry a lot of old 40 parts and the Napa in town closes at 4pm on Saturday.

Rode bizotch the rest of the trip.

Have pictures to post up but I was beat after drinking with Cheeseman till the wee hours each night "ya no"

Always a great time. :thumb:

Big thanks to everyone who assisted, provided shelter, provided a passenger seat, cigar, timely beer when the cooler was too far away, good stories and laughs.:thumb:

Randy you were definately missed around the camp fire each night....instead of passing whiskey around there was bag of peanuts circulating:dunno:

gahi
03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Broken tie rod end. Trail fix held all the way back out....nice inginuity Farnham.

Couple things I learned. The town of Moab does not carry a lot of old 40 parts and the Napa in town closes at 4pm on Saturday.

Rode bizotch the rest of the trip.

Have pictures to post up but I was beat after drinking with Cheeseman till the wee hours each night "ya no"

Always a great time. :thumb:

Big thanks to everyone who assisted, provided shelter, provided a passenger seat, cigar, timely beer when the cooler was too far away, good stories and laughs.:thumb:

Randy you were definately missed around the camp fire each night....instead of passing whiskey around there was bag of peanuts circulating:dunno:

Shoot, I've got a tie rod end on a set of older fj40 parts axles sitting here.

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Shoot, I've got a tie rod end on a set of older fj40 parts axles sitting here.

I need to have your info next time around. Are you planning on joining us during CM2011?

gahi
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I need to have your info next time around. Are you planning on joining us during CM2011?

Ya, I posted it in a thread on here somewhere a couple years ago. Everyone keep me in mind, I have a pretty well equipped shop TIG, MIG, Plasma, small lathe, shop press, air tools and lots of other stuff. Truck and car trailer too. My house is about 1 mile from the slickrock campground, so north side of town.

I may stop by to check out the vendor night but right now have my 16mo old son with me all the time. About 3-4 hrs wheeling in a day is all he's good for so I didn't sign up.

My # 435-259-7446

Rock Dog
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Looks like Rock Chucker on Metal Masher....
Question is did he come back down, or do the trail around that has the serious "Pucker Factor" lean ?

Jacket
03-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Details on the trail fix? Did the break happen on that first rock ledge after the creek crosssing?

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Ya, I posted it in a thread on here somewhere a couple years ago. Everyone keep me in mind, I have a pretty well equipped shop TIG, MIG, Plasma, small lathe, shop press, air tools and lots of other stuff. Truck and car trailer too. My house is about 1 mile from the slickrock campground, so north side of town.

I may stop by to check out the vendor night but right now have my 16mo old son with me all the time. About 3-4 hrs wheeling in a day is all he's good for so I didn't sign up.

My # 435-259-7446

Right on, good to know someone in Moab. Come on by slickrock during the event.

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Details on the trail fix? Did the break happen on that first rock ledge after the creek crosssing?

Nope after that above the switch backs. I was backing up fairly straight and pop goes the tierod. Those tierods have been in place for 13 years driving those same trails. So I will replace all the tie rods and keep a couple of spares on the truck.

Once we hammered out the broken piece, if we had a replacement it would have back in action within 5 minutes.

Fix: Placed the remaining stub back in position, place a d-ring where the two rods meet next to the tie-rod end, used a band clamp right over the break to keep the stub in place and used gorrilla tape to hold everything from moving around....I drove the whole way out with the exception of the stairs (winch), but I do believe I could have locked it up and drove up the stairs. The trail fix held tight the whole way back out. Put that fix in my new bag of tricks. :thumb:

rover67
03-21-2011, 04:56 PM
lets see pics!!

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Cliff Hanger
Myself
Scott
Tom
Corbet
Farnham

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh snap

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Farnham on the Cliff Hanger obstacle

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Spike

Stephen and Scott 3wheelin

FJBRADY
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Stephen on the dunes

Greg on the Spike

Old40Dog
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Here's a few from Seven Mile on Friday.

1) The group of Seven heading out.
2) Cheesman in my rear view mirror
3) Daniel & Cheesman
4) Daniel & Cheesman
5) Daniel & Cheesman

Old40Dog
03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Dome Plateau on Sunday. Weekend was goodtime for all in attendance!

3) Daniel & Stephen

JadeRunner
03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Great trip. Wheelin' hard with friends all Day. Camping and enjoying drinks by the fire. That makes for a good Moab trip.

Friday we did Cliff Hanger. It seemed about the same in difficulty. The first obstacle coming out of the creek gave Brady and I trouble. We had to stack rocks to get up. Then Tom couldn’t “get it up” into 4wd with his man size axles. So he politely turned around and managed to get back out in 2wd to work on it. Then a few minutes later Brady broke his tie rod for no apparent reason. It must have been stressed from a prior obstacle. We radioed Tom to get parts from town. Who radioed Perry who was on another trail. There was a problem with the communication at some point and Perry got an 80 series tie rod joint I believe. Then after all that we had a trail fix completed thanks to Brady, Farnham, Corbet and my killer Gorilla Duct Tape. Ut poor Brady was done wheelin’ for the weekend. Farnham and I completed the trail and got back up the big step cliff hanger obstacle cleanly. I hugged the wall getting up so closely that I got some major rock rash on my front fender flare. But, it’s intact so that’s all that matters. I ran Hells Gate after we completed the run as a bonus.

Rudy held a drivers by the camp fire Friday and Sat. We some great discussion and ideas. As well as planning trails to lead at CM and what that plan was for the next day.

The next day 4 groups ran about 4 trails I believe. I talked Cheeseman into running Golden Spike with me and then got Rudy to go with us the next morning. That trail was “peak fun” with just the 3 of us. We had no issues and were able to explore a little. My new KM2 tires were gripping like crazy and with my front locker working correctly this time I was having fun. I heard Cheese complaining about needing new tires already. Rudy and I explored “Little Canyon” near the end of Gold Bar on the way out.

After another nightly driver meeting everyone was having big fun. Rudy, Dan and I did a night run on BFE. Dan wisely turned around before we dropped down into the grip of area BFE. We had some fun on the radio to the group by the fire. Then Rudy dropped down into a mean obstacle and leaned and squeezed down through. I remembered that section and managed to avoid it. From there were able to finally find our way out.

Commander Schlegs cooked us all breakfast burritos before taking off. Then Dan M. took us to Dome Plateau on the way home. I was tired and bailed out early down the Kopepelli and back to I-70. I noticed my rear axle was leaking gear oil slightly when airing up. You gotta pay to play.

JadeRunner
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Brady’s break
Farnham and I at the end of Cliff Hanger
Greg, Rudy and I on Spike
The JadeRunner resting on Spike

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
7 Mile Rim

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 10:53 PM
more 7 Mile

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Chicken Corners (Perry took most of the pics) and good times at camp

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Dome Plateau

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:04 PM
more Dome Plateau

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
and yet more dome plateau

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:07 PM
And finally the 7 Mile crew and why a polarizing filter is essential outdoor gear!

The only difference in the shot is rotating the circular polarizer. Eliminates glare and increases saturation.

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Trip Reports:

7 Mile Rim

This will be a great addition to Cruise Moab. Current plan is for me to lead it Saturday. It will be a full crew. Good mix of scenery and challenges, dirt, sand and slickrock. Confusing route finding. Wells book, map and GPS are the only way to not get lost.

Chicken Corners

An old standard, but much maligned. What it may lack in technical difficulty it more than makes up for in scenery and quality out of truck exploring. The drive and hike at the "chicken corners" are both exhilarating. Views of the Colorado river along the way. Two dips through Kane Creek. Three places to see rock art. Lunch at Catacomb Rock will simply awe many of you. Its also a slightly shorter day, allowing time to relax at camp a bit earlier. If you have never been, I recommend it.

Dome Plateau

Has it all. Technical challenges, sand driving, arches, caves and views. Confusing route finding.

I have GPS tracks of all of these I can share.

Inukshuk
03-21-2011, 11:20 PM

My # 435-259-7446

Sorry we missed you this weekend. lets definitely connect at Cruise Moab. PM sent.

farnhamstj
03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
We had a great time. Thanks to everyone for the help keeping an eye on the kids. We're looking forward to rolling into Slick Rock and seeing you all again.

RockRunner
03-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Yep that is it, looks worse than it really is. With good spotting you can make it up there with ease and 37" tires.

RockRunner
03-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Daniel I have your Wells book in my truck still. Are you going to the meeting?

Inukshuk
03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Daniel I have your Wells book in my truck still. Are you going to the meeting?

Planning to. Thanks.

Rock Dog
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Trip Reports:

7 Mile Rim

This will be a great addition to Cruise Moab. Current plan is for me to lead it Saturday. It will be a full crew. Good mix of scenery and challenges, dirt, sand and slickrock. Confusing route finding. Wells book, map and GPS are the only way to not get lost.

Hello Daniel,
That is cool, i really wanted to get this one added to the mix!! I am on the run as well and can probably tail gun it for you Sat...

Neil.

84cruzer
03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
More Pics please...... :hill:

bruiser6082
03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I had a really great time. Thanks again to everyone for your patience in me stepping it up a notch. Looking forward to the event in May!!!

Sean

bruiser6082
03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Here are a couple more...

Caribou Sandstorm
03-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Man what a week..Nothing like coming back to the fryin pan after an awesome weekend of wheeling...

Here are few pics of Pauls 80 and my new rig on the Kokopelli. We also did Poison Spider on Saturday, need to down load those also.

Great group of folks at the Trail Leader Training weekend..

And "what did I learn last weekend?" Never, ever forget the map, no matter how much you think you know the trail.. It's funny now but at the time, I was stressin when I could not remember that the dirt road to Cisco Landing was the exit dirt road for the first section of the Kokopelli.

I think I just focused so much on vehicle prep over the last few weeks, that I did not remember to focus on map reivew prep.

We were able to figure it out by trial and error (tons of pin striping) and it all worked out well. Now I know how to use a buffer and polishing compound!!

http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0539/1227725292_5quFq-M.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0546/1227728815_ouNng-M.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0548/1227729835_bsk9f-M.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0553/1227743504_5YcSE-M.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0570/1227766276_ai7UD-M.jpg
http://chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com/Other/Cruise-Moab-pre-run-2011/DSCF0582/1227769052_jMeU9-M.jpg

nakman
03-25-2011, 09:03 AM
those 255 Maxxis look about perfect on there, Chris. :cool:

Caribou Sandstorm
03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Tim! I think so also. Could not really go bigger without a ton of work and not really sure I need to or would want to either. I am getting 21 mpg on the highway, been driving it on the highway all week. Sliders showed up yesterday, they feel heavy, probably will bring it down to 20 mpg...

bh4rnnr
03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Better late than never for pics, good time as always:thumb:

Camp at BFE

The group for 7Mile.

At the tral head for 7Mile

Daniel on a side obstacle for 7Mile.

bh4rnnr
03-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Daniel on the ledge.

Kevins turn.

Cheeseman.

Uranium Arch.

bh4rnnr
03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Views.

Some of the group, above Uranium Arch.

Rudy and Dave.

Some good folk.

Cheeseman.

Jacket
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Sliders showed up yesterday

Wow - you must have really given them a convincing story for that speedy service. Do you have to sport a 6' Shrockworks sticker on your truck for the next 2 years?

Nice to see the Runner gettin' dirty. How did she wheel compared to the FJC?

Caribou Sandstorm
03-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I told Mark that I was a friend of Matt Ralston and that was all he needed to here!

It wheeled great, in spite of the driver....:o

A-trac kicks in great, so that was a relief. Clearence was great and actually seemed a bit less tippy then the FJC.. Have not investigated but has to have a slightly longer wheel base. Lifted and with aftermarket rack, it also fits into the garage.

Really nice to have windows, leather, sun roof, more space....I loved my FJC but it is easy to upgrade to a 4th gen and such a nicer vehicle. I will just wheel open for a while..

I am getting 21 mpg right now with the bigger tires also! With fridge and rack on top, so that is a major plus...

I know there is no perfect rig but this is pretty close to spot on for me!