PDA

View Full Version : Field Day June 25-26, 2011

DaveInDenver
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Thread for this year's Field Day, does anyone have plans yet?

http://www.arrl.org/field-day

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Field-Day/2011/2011_FD_Packet.pdf

Seldom Seen
05-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Requesting time off for FD this week. Where should we set up this year?

Seldom Seen
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Chatfield and/or Cherry Creek usu have club sites set up. I'm hoping to have a Honda EU1000i by then.

Groucho
05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Just may have to see about it...

But I want to do more "radio" stuff if i do field day. Camping is great, but sometimes it is too limiting. Chatfield would be great. My BIL lives across the street. Nice to have a replenish source for beer, and a place where the kids can be near to check out Field Day too.

I would like to get the tri-bander going with the 1000W amp as well.
Can the Honda EU1000i push that 1000W amp at 120V?

wesintl
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Can the Honda EU1000i push that 1000W amp at 120V?

It's 900w continuous and from what i've read that is pushing it. 1000max.

DaveInDenver
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
But I want to do more "radio" stuff if i do field day. Camping is great, but sometimes it is too limiting.
LOL! Sometimes it's too 'fieldy' being in the field, eh? As long as we do something, but I would like to camp even if it's in an RV parking lot with tufts of weeds between the pads. :-) Like Brian mentions, local state parks will have large groups of hams, for better or for worse. The purpose of field day is to approach operations not relying on infrastructure, which can be as simple as setting up a battery powered station in your own backyard.

Still, sigh, to escape the urban confines...

http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/north-face-of-mount-sneffels-above-blaine-basin-in-the-san-juan-mountains-of-colorado-brendan-reals.jpg

"High Flight"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew —
And, while with silent lifting mind I have trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Groucho
05-13-2011, 07:44 AM
I guess I always try to set the tower up with the tri-bander. But you're right, the best field day for me would be a nice quiet spot high enough to see 360 and use my FT-857D with a tuner and a dipole or two.

Sitting right outside my tent, the weather is nice, the birds are singing, and making contacts seems like a breeze. That's what I want. Who has a GP Small tent to set up so we can just drive up there easily, and make it fun?

nakman
05-13-2011, 10:15 AM
what about Yankee Doodle lake, is that 360 enough? I personally can't go, but just tossing that out there..

DaveInDenver
05-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I have an EZ-Up, but no big GP tent unfortunately.

Groucho
05-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I have a hook up from work with a GP Small. I need to ensure the date is good, but I'd like to try and go.

Seldom Seen
05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Some thoughts on the subject:

I ran 1 Echo last year and had a blast. I spent more time on the air and covered more spectrum 'cuz the emphasis was on radio and less on camping but the spirit of FD was missing, it would have been a bit more interesting if I was 1 Alpha. I like operating on FD more for the volume of contacts rather than the contest aspect but I wonder if I could have had more QSO's if I was 1 Alpha. I *think* the point multiplier is higher for Alpha stations.

This year I'd like to split the difference. I don't mind pitching a tent, but having a few mod-cons would allow for more air time.

Setting up some place close to town would allow other club members a chance to come and go, for a few hours, as their weekend plans allow.

WiFi or a mobile hotspot, I used DX Sherlock last year to track propagation and was able to make some great contacts on 6 and 10 as the bands came up.

Trees, having a way to fly some wire w/o having to set up a bunch of masts would save time and frustration.

An amp would be great. I've only been able to brake a few pile-ups but I would love trying to manage one :cool: OTOH having one only creates problems powering it up.:confused:

6 and 10, there is a rule change this year to encourage more VHF stations to get on the air. Last year I made contacts on 6 as far east as TN and OH and west to OR and CA. 10 was good to TX, CA and SD. Heather had fun making contacts on 6 and 10 as her privileges allowed. I'm thinking that having 1 rig dedicated to these upper bands would allow the Tech Class members of the club a chance to exercise their privileges.

Groucho
05-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Is it the real deal? Cool.
Yes, Its the real deal, with liner as well.

Let's nail down the place and attendees and then start an equipment list. The main concern obviously is a weatherproof operating commons area. A GP-small and my EZ-Up with tarp walls seems like a good start.

So, let's focus on location. Is camping OK? Wilderness isn't absolutely necessary, although I would like to get away from the city. I operate in town and honestly there's just so much QRM and QRN that I have a hard time getting excited about Cherry Creek SP.

As long as I don't have any issues attending, I will go anywhere within an hour of home. How about Cold springs campground? It has a good view south, east and somewhat west?

Some thoughts on the subject:

I ran 1 Echo last year and had a blast. I spent more time on the air and covered more spectrum 'cuz the emphasis was on radio and less on camping but the spirit of FD was missing, it would have been a bit more interesting if I was 1 Alpha. I like operating on FD more for the volume of contacts rather than the contest aspect but I wonder if I could have had more QSO's if I was 1 Alpha. I *think* the point multiplier is higher for Alpha stations.

This year I'd like to split the difference. I don't mind pitching a tent, but having a few mod-cons would allow for more air time.

Setting up some place close to town would allow other club members a chance to come and go, for a few hours, as their weekend plans allow.

WiFi or a mobile hotspot, I used DX Sherlock last year to track propagation and was able to make some great contacts on 6 and 10 as the bands came up.

Trees, having a way to fly some wire w/o having to set up a bunch of masts would save time and frustration.

An amp would be great. I've only been able to brake a few pile-ups but I would love trying managing one :cool: OTOH having one only creates problems powering it up.:confused:

6 and 10, there is a rule change this year to encourage more VHF stations to get on the air. Last year I made contacts on 6 as far east as TN and OH and west to OR and CA. 10 was good to TX, CA and SD. Heather had fun making contacts on 6 and 10 as her privileges allowed. I'm thinking that having 1 rig dedicated to these upper bands would allow the Tech Class member of the club a chance to exercise their privileges.

We would have to limit our power to 5W or less to be Alpha. Unless I'm missing something.

Seldom Seen
05-13-2011, 02:27 PM
We would have to limit our power to 5W or less to be Alpha. Unless I'm missing something.

QRP is class A-B

From the ARRL

4.1. (Class A) Club / non-club portable: Club or a non-club group of three or more persons set up specifically for Field Day. Such stations must be located in places that are not regular station locations and must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day. A single licensee or trustee for the entry is responsible for the group entry. All equipment (including antennas) must lie within a circle whose diameter does not exceed 300 meters (1000 feet). To be listed as Class A, all contacts must be made with transmitter(s) and receiver(s) operating independent of commercial power mains. Entrants whom for any reason operate a transmitter or receiver from a commercial main for one or more contacts will be listed separately as Class A-Commercial.

Hulk
05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
My kids have a swim meet that day, but I might motor up Saturday afternoon just to watch and learn.

Seldom Seen
05-13-2011, 02:53 PM
How about Cold springs campground? It has a good view south, east and somewhat west?

I like the location and it's close enough. The issues I have with FS CGs are; quiet hours (no gen sets or even loud talking after 2200) and you're not allowed to tie anything to trees.

Groucho
05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I like the location and it's close enough. The issues I have with FS CGs are; quiet hours (no gen sets or even loud talking after 2200) and you're not allowed to tie anything to trees.

What about somewhere in South Park? Like near Kenosha pass, maybe on the east side? Or anywhere in the park would be good. Low noise level, good room around to shoot off the signal? Just askin...

Oh, and I knew I was missing something on the power thingy.

So if I got it right, we're Club, portable, right? I wish I could get the trailer fixed up and the tower mounted so we can use the :yagi:, and string dipoles from it too.

Seldom Seen
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I was thinking about Kenosha, we could circumvent the CG rules by setting up the station near the overnight parking at the trail-head (out of the CG hosts jurisdiction). I checked out Cold Springs on Google Earth and it looks like if we got sites on the end of the big loop, we could move the station up into the woods for a stealthy set up. Either way, at night, we could switch to Batt and go QRP using digi or CW to minimize noise and conserve power.

I wouldn't worry about the beam, I was able to work both coasts and Canada with a crappy G5RV and 100w last year. I thinking with a 135' flat top or a couple of resonate dipoles we can cover the country.

Tramontana
06-13-2011, 11:48 PM
...down in South Park.

I had a classmate this spring term who owns an off the grid cabin on Reinecker Ridge. Access to the top of the knob would put antenna base elevation at or above 10,200 feet elevation.

Seldom Seen
06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
...down in South Park.

I had a classmate this spring term who owns an off the grid cabin on Reinecker Ridge. Access to the top of the knob would put antenna base elevation at or above 10,200 feet elevation.

Ooooo.....Tell us more:drool::drool:

Tramontana
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM
...about the possibility of setting this up, and just sent him an email confirming that there is interest.

I will keep you all posted.

For now, you can Google Maps or Google Earth "Reinecker Ridge North, Fairplay, CO" and this will take you to the possible site.

It is my understanding that he has an off the grid home up there, complete with a PV/battery power system. If we are lucky, we may be able to tap into this for higher point scoring for being off grid, and renewable?

I believe that he owns the top of the knob, but I don't know if we can gain vehicle access to place antenna(s) as high as possible?

Google maps puts this site at 73 miles from my house in Wheat Ridge. Pretty convenient access if this all works out.

Cheers and 73's.

David

Seldom Seen
06-14-2011, 01:26 PM
...about the possibility of setting this up, and just sent him an email confirming that there is interest.

I will keep you all posted.

Pls do and yes, renewable power is a point multiplier.

Another opportunity has come up as well, got this email today:

June 25th & 26th is Field Day!

I Will be joining The Littleton Radio Amateurs again this year.

We need just a few more "seasoned" operators. We plan to have 5 stations.

Set up is Friday 5PM if you can assist.

Field Day starts at 12 Noon Saturday and runs until noon Sunday

Please let me know if you would like to join us.

WE NEED A COUPLE OF SEASONED PHONE & CW OPERATORS.

Last year was a blast. Great covered camping area with benches & tables. Restrooms only a few feet away and very clean! Park has a huge field for large wire antennas (We had a killer signal last year!)

The site is 1 block south of Bellview Ave off Windermear (Just East of Santa Fe) on West Prentice Ave. http://mapq.st/laPqAr (click satellite view)

PLEASE CALL or EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN US!

Lets make Field Day a fun weekend!

I got this via email from a local Ham I met last year at this site. We had a QSO during the ARRL VHF Party last weekend and he has extended the invite to our group. Might be an opportunity for Tech and Generals who don't get on HF to get some air time.

Tramontana
06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
...I have not yet received a reply to my email that I sent to the land owner, and my beloved wife reminded me last night of not one, but two pre-existing conflicts on Sat of field day weekend.

I am still trying, as I may be able to fit it all together somehow?!

Cheers!

Groucho
06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Right before I was going to call David B this morning I was informed by my wife that even though I planned for field day, it was my FIL birthday and we have to be there by 6 on June 25. I think my field day plans just got nixed.

I will still try and participate during the day Saturday if possible.

Tramontana
06-16-2011, 10:36 AM
...it is not looking good.

I still cannot get in touch with the land owner, and it now looks impossible to re-arrange either of my prior commitments on Saturday.

Besides, without Groucho, what REALLY would be the point? :lmao:

Cheers!