PDA

View Full Version : HID Projector Retrofit?

1loudLX
03-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Anyone have experience pulling apart light housings to install projectors? I'm thinking about swapping my halogen projectors with PnP HID kit for something with better cut-off and bi-xenon capability :p:

Uncle Ben
03-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Calling Doctor Treebling.....

nakman
03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Not here yet, but I saw Farnham's new setup in Moab and it was impressive.. just the HID bulbs in the stock housings. :cool:

Rock Dog
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Calling Doctor Treebling.....

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Dr Treebling !!! I Like It! :lmao::lmao:

1loudLX
03-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Not here yet, but I saw Farnham's new setup in Moab and it was impressive.. just the HID bulbs in the stock housings. :cool:

yeah, but it could be so much better with HID highbeam capability :D

treerootCO
03-25-2011, 07:28 AM
My mud writeup is here:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/409078-depo-fx-r-bi-xenon-projectors.html

The hardest part is guessing what temp to set the oven. The right temp is 200+ because the glass comes off without any effort. The problem is that the plastic will melt if it comes in contact with direct heat or the sides of the oven. So far I like the light output. It does take awhile to get used to the sharp cutoff though. It was hard not to focus on it for the first week or so. Driving off highway, the cutoff rises and falls with the terrain so the guy in front of you will get blinded from the light.

1loudLX
03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Well my stock projectors have a pretty decent cut-off, but the other cars we own have HIDs stock and one has bi-xenon, I love the sharper cutoff.

So what'd you do, wrap the light in something or just put the glass down on the oven shelf?

treerootCO
03-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Well my stock projectors have a pretty decent cut-off, but the other cars we own have HIDs stock and one has bi-xenon, I love the sharper cutoff.

So what'd you do, wrap the light in something or just put the glass down on the oven shelf?

I used a double insulated cookie sheet. One of the housings slipped off when I closed the door and melted.

Inukshuk
03-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Farnham did just bulbs and ballasts and IIRC it was $27 for the kit. That's the cost of just two Sylvania Superstar bulbs to me.

1loudLX
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah I know what Farnham did he sent me a picture as soon as he had it installed. I already have HIDs, installed them about 5 years ago. I'm trying to decide if I should take the next step or just get a LED bar :D