PDA

View Full Version : Wrenching day for FZJ80 Tie Rod Ends

Inukshuk
03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
A few people have posted lately wanting to replace their 80 series Tie Rod Ends. I need to do mine as well. I think I can get my hands on the SST to separate the ends (avoid the BFH and pickle forks). I also want to replace any easy to access "moving parts" or bushings in the front end (I know that is vague)

I propose we set a wrenching day for TRE's. We can use this thread to compile parts lists and recommendations.

Parts: I plan to place an order from CDan. I am not sure of all the part numbers but was going to ask him.

Proposed Dates:
Saturday April 2
Sunday April 3
Saturday April 9
Sunday April 10

My North Denver driveway is available but I can't get more than the nose of a rig in my garage.

RockRunner
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I would just like a new set of TRE's LMK how much they would be and how long before we could get the good ones.

Inukshuk
03-25-2011, 09:08 AM
I would just like a new set of TRE's LMK how much they would be and how long before we could get the good ones.

Will do. Have PMd him on Mud

MDH33
03-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Will do. Have PMd him on Mud

Daniel, I've never had luck getting CDan via PM. Best to just call him at American Toyota. :thumb:

subzali
03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
he's always answered my pms. But yet, probably best to call.

Inukshuk
03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Daniel, I've never had luck getting CDan via PM. Best to just call him at American Toyota. :thumb:

Oddly PM's seem to be easier than phone tag.

I have the quote. Tom, I'll PM you.

Anyone else want in? Save a few $$ on shipping, plan a wrenching day?

Inukshuk
03-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Are their any other font end parts you would recommend replacing to tighten up steering and handling?

Inukshuk
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Got them done today. I definitely recommend using the puller. It was easy, though they popped off like a gunshot. Can't imagine struggling with a BFE or pickle fork. Plus, the old ends are now usable trail spares. To unscrew the rods from the ends required heat, PB blaster and jumping down on a pipe wrench with the TRE end clamped in a vise.

FJBRADY
04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I definitely recommend using the puller. It was easy, though they popped off like a gunshot. Can't imagine struggling with a BFE or pickle fork.

Keep the puller in the truck on the trail or the BFE is your reality/nightmare, but that's where the good stories come from. :thumb:

Hulk
04-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Daniel, did you buy a TRE puller?

Inukshuk
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Keep the puller in the truck on the trail or the BFE is your reality/nightmare, but that's where the good stories come from. :thumb:

Had not thought of that. I guess for the trail I'll have to rely on propane and a BFH.

Daniel, did you buy a TRE puller?

Borrowed. :risingsun:

Inukshuk
04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Happy to report that steering is improved and highway vibrations gone!

rover67
04-12-2011, 06:32 AM

The BFH method works well, especially when the TRE's were not overtorqued.

Daniel, happy to hear that the truck steers well now, those kind of improvements make them so much nice to drive. It'll actually reduce your fatigue on the HWY.

FJBRADY
04-12-2011, 06:46 AM
The BFH method works well, especially when the TRE's were not overtorqued.

Yessir took 20+ to get the busted TRE off the 40 on CH last month. A puller and a spare would have been nice. :thumb:

rover67
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
some times you gotta beat it hard...

Jacket
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
some Times You Gotta Beat It Hard...

:d :D