PDA

View Full Version : A reintroduction ... of sorts.

ianacole
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
It's been awhile since I sold my last 40 (original intro thread: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=5912) as I got fed up with working around PO "modifications," and then went into lurk mode. Earlier this year a confluence of good fortune allowed me to pick up another 40, a '73 this time. Perhaps some of you know it, it's Chris Blair's old truck. Since I plan on attending this upcoming meeting, and since I've been jumping back into active participation on the forum, I figured I should reintroduce myself...

Hi, my name is Ian, and I have a problem ... :D

My list of previously owned Toyotas includes:
2000 4Runner (MT) - stock
2001 4Runner - stock
1975 FJ40 - mildly modified
1981 Minitruck 4x4 - built
1980 Minitruck 4x4 - mildly modified
1998 Corolla - stock

Currently in the family:
2006 Tacoma Quad-Cab 4x4 (long bed) - stock, and still the wife's
1992 Minitruck 2x4 - stock, used to be the wife's, now it's the F-I-L's
1973 FJ40 - built

Can't wait to get on some trails with my boys this summer, and find some good, back-country fishing spots.

Here's my current daily driver (with my youngest) ... it's everything I wanted my '75 to grow up to be. Only a couple of things left to do, to include installing the winch that's sitting on the floor in my garage:

MDH33
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice looking rig, and welcome back. :thumb:

rover67
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Sweet looking rig, it looks really clean.. and welcome back as well!

Air Randy
03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Very nice! You need to paint that bezel white though..........otherwise it just ain't natural :D

MDH33
03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Very nice! You need to paint that bezel white though..........otherwise it just ain't natural :D

Nah, Black bezels are :cool: :thumb:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/623938114_wCgaP-L.jpg

Jacket
03-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Nice 40! The boys will love it.

Martin - I thought you were a traditionalist. In this case I agree with Randy.

subzali
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
I was gonna say - what with all the purist blood running through your veins, interesting you'd keep the black bezel.

Have you seen this Martin? Maybe someone could make one of these up...I think JohnnyC and maybe Living in the Past on MUD would go in with you on it if Awl_TEQ or foxfab or somebody came up with something...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/466634-front-bumper-plate-location.html

Sorry Ian, don't mean to hijack your thread. Look forward to seeing/meeting you next Wednesday! :thumb:

MDH33
03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
I was gonna say - what with all the purist blood running through your veins, interesting you'd keep the black bezel.

Have you seen this Martin? Maybe someone could make one of these up...I think JohnnyC and maybe Living in the Past on MUD would go in with you on it if Awl_TEQ or foxfab or somebody came up with something...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/466634-front-bumper-plate-location.html

Sorry Ian, don't mean to hijack your thread. Look forward to seeing/meeting you next Wednesday! :thumb:

I havn't seen one on the bumper like that. :cool: I would love to see how it attaches. I haven't had a way to mount my plate since adding the winch and running lights.

MDH33
03-31-2011, 05:45 PM

If I was truly a traditionalist I guess I would have to get rid of the lift and run tiny tires too. If I ever get around to finishing my hardtop, I'll probably repaint the bezel, but until then, I have so much sprayed black on my 40 it's far from stock. ;)

corsair23
03-31-2011, 06:17 PM
GREAT looking rig and welcome back :thumb:

Air Randy
04-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I havn't seen one on the bumper like that. :cool: I would love to see how it attaches. I haven't had a way to mount my plate since adding the winch and running lights.

Pick up a cheap set of the spring clips for mounting a maglite d cell flashlight. Attach those to the back of your plate and clip them to the rollers on your winch hawse. I even added a little steel lanyard to mine just in case it ever got kncoked loose.

Air Randy
04-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Nice 40! The boys will love it.

Yep, thats a really nice looking rig and that blue is a great color. If the bezel was white it would POP and really look nice. :thumb:

MDH33
04-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Pick up a cheap set of the spring clips for mounting a maglite d cell flashlight. Attach those to the back of your plate and clip them to the rollers on your winch hawse. I even added a little steel lanyard to mine just in case it ever got kncoked loose.

I think I have a couple of quick fists lying around that are mag-light sized. Might give it a try. :thumb:

Air Randy
04-01-2011, 09:09 AM
I think I have a couple of quick fists lying around that are mag-light sized. Might give it a try. :thumb:

And while you're at it...........paint your bezel white :D

ianacole
04-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I think we should start a new faction ... the Black Bezel Brigade ;)

If I paint it white it'll be easier to see that it's upside down :lmao:

subzali
04-01-2011, 11:08 AM
you guys are rebels.

Hulk
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Nice 40. Welcome back!

FJBRADY
04-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Right side up black bez is the only way to go. :thumb:

Welcome to the cool side of the club. :cool:

Air Randy
04-05-2011, 08:40 AM

If I paint it white it'll be easier to see that it's upside down :lmao:

Go check the Old Farts Run trip report at the CO4x4 site. There are some good shots of your rig there. You can also see numerous other swb rigs doing the center line on the whale tail. Every one of them lifts the left front tire in that one spot, but with the right angle you drive through it and it settles back down.

ianacole
04-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Go check the Old Farts Run trip report at the CO4x4 site. There are some good shots of your rig there. You can also see numerous other swb rigs doing the center line on the whale tail. Every one of them lifts the left front tire in that one spot, but with the right angle you drive through it and it settles back down.

I went through the links and didn't find any photos.

Yah, whale tail ... I definitely got spooked. And one thing I learned in racing - a spooked driver is a dangerous driver. Better to pit and recover your confidence than create a big mess. I'll be back, though, and next time it will be mine!