PDA

View Full Version : The Meanie is out of hibernation

Air Randy
04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
So after a long winter sleep and a lot of work, the Meanie is out of hibernation and hitting the trails for the first run tomorrow at Chinamans Gulch and then Carnage.

I completely removed the old cage and seat chassis down to the frame. They were built with thinner wall tube, the seats weren't right, and I wanted a real windshield.

So I got a windshield from Marco, had to really search to find good hinges and all the HW so I can fold it down onto the hood. This way when were in the big stuff, if we lay it over the windshield should be half way protected.

Justin at Redline and myself designed the cage and seat cradle. Justin and Jay fabbed it all up. Now the seats are properly situated, the cage is stronger and I have a real windshield with wipers. I also installed a Moab heater under the dash and closed off all of the openings. Now we can stay sorta warm if the weather goes bad. I also installed the CB and HAM radios and installed an electronic speedo in the dash.

Underneath up front I built up a new Dana 60 front axle with full 35 spline HW, an ARB, Bluetorch knuckles, a beefier diff guard, and 5.13 gears. I also installed a double cardan driveshaft and rotated the axle housing 7 degrees to get the pinon up out of the dirt.

In the rear I put 5.13 gears into the 14 bolt and Justin installed a Ballistic Fabrication shave kit. That removes almost 3" off the bottom of the diff as the 14 bolts are always bad about getting hung up. Taking off the bottom (we also had to have the ring gear turned down) is supposed to increase rear axle ground clearance the equivalent of going from 42" tires to 44" tires.

Justin & Jay also finished up getting the geometry on the rear 4 link right. It had so much anti-squat before you just about couldn't turn it tight without feeling like it was going to flip. With the geometry right and the addition of a Currie anti-sway bar, this things handles like a sports car now on the road. Seriously. It should climb even better now too.

I had Justin build a rear tire carrier too and I just picked it up today from Paul's Customer canvas. I had Paul build a modular top so it can be just a bikini top, bikini with rear cover, you add the side covers and then the zip in windows. I wanted to be able to remove the side covers so the top doesnt get shredded when you go through the narrow places and lay the side of the cage on the rocks. I also had him skin the inside of the tube doors. Paul's has done 3 boats and now 2 vehicles for me and they always turn out great.

So thats it for now. Tomorrow will be a shake down run for Moab but she is just about ready to go. :thumb:

ianacole
04-01-2011, 11:01 PM
COOL!!! Can't wait to see it in action tomorrow!

J Kimmel
04-01-2011, 11:11 PM
looks really good Randy, I can't wait to hit a trail with you soon, wish it was tomorrow :(

be safe!

rover67
04-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Looking great man, glad to see the windshield live on!!!! meany is looking great!

Uncle Ben
04-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Very cool! It should seem like a new truck! :thumb::thumb:

RockRunner
04-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Looking good, really like the soft top, Paul does great work. Good luck tomorrow, wish I was going.

Rock Dog
04-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Looks great Randy! I am excited to see how well the new geometry works on the trails.

AxleIke
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow! I really like it Randy! Great work!

I'm super impressed with the soft top work. I am going to have to look into Paul's. VERY nice!

FJBRADY
04-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Looking good

Air Randy
04-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Wow! I really like it Randy! Great work!

I'm super impressed with the soft top work. I am going to have to look into Paul's. VERY nice!

He really does nice work. I had a few tears in the top on the Mule and he only charged me $30 to sew them all up and reinforce them.

MDH33
04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
He really does nice work. I had a few tears in the top on the Mule and he only charged me $30 to sew them all up and reinforce them.

Hey Randy, could you post his contact info, or pm me? I would like to get my soft top repaired this summer.

:beer:

RicardoJM
04-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Meanie is looking good. It has a very distinctive stance, shape and attitude.

farnhamstj
04-03-2011, 09:29 AM
looks fantastic.

Uncle Ben
04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey Randy, could you post his contact info, or pm me? I would like to get my soft top repaired this summer.

:beer:

Google is a magic thing!

http://www.paulscanvas.com/

MDH33
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Google is a magic thing!

:p: thanks

Air Randy
04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Google is a magic thing!

:thumb:

ianacole
04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Meanie was awesome to watch in action! I and my two sons captured some photos of our Chinaman Gulch trip yesterday, to include Meanie. Hunter is our older son (13) and Macklin is our younger son (11), which will explain some of the photos. Downloading is enable, so please feel free to pull down any photos you like for personal use only, please. If you'd like the high-res of any of them, please contact me.

Gallery:

http://www.wasabiraceteam.com/gallery/4wheeling/4-2-11_Chinaman_Gulch/4-2-11_Chinaman_Gulch.html

Thanks for the invite Randy - that was a great time!!

PhatFJ
04-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Really NICE Randy!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Air Randy
04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey, it was great you and your boys could make it out. There were a lot of very friendly folks in the group and an interesting diversity of rigs.

Your 40 wheeled great too! You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

nakman
04-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Meanie was awesome to watch in action! I and my two sons captured some photos of our Chinaman Gulch trip yesterday, to include Meanie. Hunter is our older son (13) and Macklin is our younger son (11), which will explain some of the photos. Downloading is enable, so please feel free to pull down any photos you like for personal use only, please. If you'd like the high-res of any of them, please contact me.

Gallery:

http://www.wasabiraceteam.com/gallery/4wheeling/4-2-11_Chinaman_Gulch/4-2-11_Chinaman_Gulch.html

Thanks for the invite Randy - that was a great time!!

wow, sweet pics!! 40 looks happy, Randy. :D

EWheeler
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Dee and Randy,

I LOVE the new look. I was hoping that softop wasn't a custom one-off because I want one!!! Hoping to do something similar to my 40 in the future. Glad to hear the re-work at Redline made her a much more capable rig. Hope to see you guys on a trail again in the future.

Cheers,

Evan

Air Randy
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes, we had the top made at Paul's Custom Canvas, he does great work.

Corbet
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Randy, thanks for the ride up Escalator on Wednesday. Here are my Meanie pics from last week