PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Work Day - SEPTEMBER 10, 2011

rover67
04-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Jenny Creek Work Day is now scheduled for SEPTEMBER 10th.

Ham 146.460 and CB Channel 4 for the event. I am no longer planning on camping up there Friday and Saturday nights.

Lets still plan on meeting at the Kiosk at Yankee Doodle Lake at 9:00am.

Here is the location to meet:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Yankee+Doodle+Lake,+CO&hl=en&ll=39.936017,-105.65305&spn=0.013705,0.01929&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.161276,79.013672&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=16

Northerners plan on meeting at the home depot in Boulder at 7am then heading up. They open at 6 so I will get there early and buy some concrete. We can distribute it among whoever shows up to caravan up. I know it will be at least Bruce and myself so at least we'll have two trucks.

I am thinking that for Saturday we can split into two groups.....

One group runs down to do Jenny creek and pickup trash along the way, and the second group stays near Yankee Doodle and helps with post and cable, and Kiosk repairs. I'll be looking for trail leaders for the Jenny creek portion, and I myself may end up sticking around the upper area..

Anyways, noodle on it.. post up if you'd like to attend. I'll edit as appropriate. Dogs and Kids Invited as long as they are reasonably well behaved.

Here's last year's work trip:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14120&highlight=Jenny+Creek

EDIT: New requirement.. everybody at the site the day of the work day will be required to sign off saying they've seen the beetle kill video/ppt. Here is a note from Maribeth:

The link below will go to the Wildands Restoration Volunteers website, where they have uploaded our Hazard Tree video and PowerPoint presentation. From what I've heard, the PowerPoint may be more meaningful to volunteers than the video (it's also available on their site as a PDF, in case you or any of your members don't have PowerPoint). Viewing either is acceptable. I'll bring along the DVD and a 2-screen portable DVD player on work day, in case there's anyone who didn't see it online beforehand.
http://www.wlrv.org/community/leader-resources.html

List of Folks Attending:

60Wag
Jacket
timmbuck2
FJBRADY
Uncle Ben
Dan S.
Satchel

MDH33
04-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks for organizing this Marco. I have it on my calendar. I'll probably only be able to make it up for a day trip though, as I'll be working weekends again this summer.

Uncle Ben
04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
If we're here you know I'm in! Planning on doing a Wild Rice shake down run soon....breaking JC sounds like a great plan! (has always been perfect in the past!)

Jacket
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
We may be in California that week, but if not I'll be there.

Eldorado556
04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd be down to help out with that. I'm sure my rig will be ready by then. I'd probably take a day off work and head up on Friday.

PhatFJ
04-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Marco, sounds great! Kim, Zoe and I will put this on our schedules!!!

RockRunner
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Got it on the calendar in pencil for now. Camping will depend on my work situation at the time.

VBRoamer
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
We'll be staying outside of Nederland that weekend and would like to pitch in.

We've driven Jenny Creek a few times over the past 40 years. Great trail.

We've also been through the tunnel at the top half a dozen times. Somewhere we have photos of us taking a Dodge station wagon with two families across the wooden bridge in the 70s. You could drive down into Winter Park and make a long day trip of it.

Vince

timmbuck2
04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
count me in...especially now that I live so close to the trail! :) UB, let me know when you go trail breaking...would love to pitch in.

MDH33
04-05-2011, 10:16 AM
count me in...especially now that I live so close to the trail! :) UB, let me know when you go trail breaking...would love to pitch in.

Did you move to Rollinsville??

timmbuck2
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
OK, not *that* close! I moved to north Golden, about a mile north of Slee.

rover67
04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the motivated participants!

It's officially on the club calendar:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=179&day=2011-7-16&c=1

As the date draws near I'll compile a list of folks attending and develop a more concrete agenda for the trip.

Mayhem
05-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I have it on my Calendar as well... Hope to make it and meet a lot of you.

-Noob

sank
07-02-2011, 01:21 AM
2 weeks?

Rezarf
07-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Uncle Ben and I ran Jenny Creek yesterday to bust up some of the drifts. We got most of the way up and alas, were turned around due to the drifts and being in only one (albiet amazing) rig.

As it sits there is NO way to get to the top but maybe by foot... and I am talking Rollins Pass, there were some 20ft drifts still on the main road. We bipassed one, but the next one was blocked by another rig... :rant:

A few weeks might melt them out but there was still A LOT of snow on the pass.

Also, on Jenny Creek Trail there is a new washout that will pose some work, it is probably a 3' deep tire groove and we couldn't get around it, or through it with 40's gears and lockers... the trail is tight and water is running in the trough making it slick and goo-tastic. We winched a tree into the trough and drove it no problem after that, but it will most likely need a waterbreak to send the water back towards the creek and limit errosion and address the log solution.

There are a few parts of the trail that have washed out into the creek, no suprise, the water was MOVING!

I bet in a week someone can bust through to the top... I'd put money on who I think that would be too (;) )

I will get a few pics up as soon as my camera battery recovers from charging.

Rezarf
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Marco, I'd like to camp up there Friday too, I can come early most likely... even give some company on Thursday if you so desire. Gotta' stretch the legs on the trailer here soon! :D

mesomelas
07-06-2011, 03:07 AM
How hard is the creek ripping right now?Any idea what sort of clearance you'd need to keep from aspirating water?

Uncle Ben
07-06-2011, 07:19 AM
How hard is the creek ripping right now?Any idea what sort of clearance you'd need to keep from aspirating water?

It's going pretty hard. I would say the deepest we encountered was close to 30". Average depth was around 20".

rover67
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
OK, The date is upon us..

I am trying to determine if this is still a go. Everything so far looks like yes with the route up being Jenny Creek..

I will gather more Beta this weekend and we can go from there.

Kevin and Drew, thanks for getting up there and letting us know the conditions.. sounds like it was a fun day for you guys.

timmbuck2
07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
...As it sits there is NO way to get to the top but maybe by foot....A few weeks might melt them out but there was still A LOT of snow on the pass.

Do we want to wait until the weekend and see if we can break through? (I can help Uncle Ben!!)

rover67
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
The one thing that ties us to the date that is set is the fact that Cat at the BRD has that date marked on her Calendar. I will talk to her and get a feel for what she is thinking.

Uncle Ben
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Here is a pic of the rut that will need large rocks hauled up the trail from the creek. A water bar will need to be created above it to stop the erosion..

Red_Chili
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Prolly should keep that one in member's only... just because of hostile lurkers.

leiniesred
07-06-2011, 02:52 PM
That area was a lot more of a mess by the time Bob in Denver and I got there on 7-3-2011.

The mud on the left is much deeper. The rut is wider and the stream was not overflowing down the rut. The rut was about 4 feet wide at the downhill end and 3 feet wide at the top end. Everything on the left was 2-6" of sloppy mud. I drove what would be the same line as you took, Kevin, and the 4runner drove right through. Sure it leans a bit, but keeping the left side out of the rut/bog meant that only 1 tire had to climb out the exit which was about a 3 foot wall.

After this mudbog section, there is a narrow section of dry trail with a low spot right next to the creek and a significant side-hill leaning you into the creek. This spot was pretty sketch. I thought the ol' 4runner was going over when the rear tire slipped into the creek. The water looked cold and uncomfortable so I hit the gas. Things leveled out when the other rear tire slid down into the creek. I bet it was 2 feet to the bottom of the creek bed there. Use care on this section. If one tire goes in the creek, you might tip over.

The 2nd stretch of driving through the creek wasn't as exciting as the first section of narrow white water rapids.

Good times! Wish I had some video of clawing upstream through the whitewater!

Depth:
Laird had a stock round fender hilux with 30" tires on the trail. It was about 20" deep but some of the rapids/waves and holes made it as UB stated...30" max.
The 1980 hilux didn't ingest any water, but the ignition got pretty wet and he ran out of GO. I was able to help him get through it on the strap.

snowmelt factor:
Things were melting fast. I don't remember the snow up ahead in UB's picture and we were there the next day.

mesomelas
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Think a 1st gen 4runner on 33s and 3.5" lift could make it? I had a close call with water aspiration, don't want to repeat that mistake.

Rezarf
07-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Think a 1st gen 4runner on 33s and 3.5" lift could make it? I had a close call with water aspiration, don't want to repeat that mistake.

The water was really ripping, like UB said though 30" might have been the deepest sections, but the stream is covered in hidden boulders (under the water). You kinda have to pic a line and stick with it... that said, I think most lifted rigs shouldn't have issues with taking in water.

Now the snow was another story... the first drift we crossed made me glad I didn't have my open/open 40 on the trail. UB's rig made it look easy, but the potential to slide downhill is STEEP, in more ways than one. Thats the first time I got out to.. uh err... take pictures! Yeah, pictures, I wasn't scared or anything. :o:thumb:

timmbuck2
07-08-2011, 05:58 PM
any plans on a pre-run this weekend?

rover67
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I am heading up there on my bicycle from the Winter Park side on Sunday. I'll have an HT with me on 146.460 since Allison will be heading to the Rollinsville area to pick me up.

I do not really know what to expect but am hoping to get some pictures so I can show Cat what it all looks like and to get an idea if the snow conditions will allow for a run this next weekend. I also want to scope out meeting and camping spots.

If anybody wants to get up there on Sunday that'd be sweet, I may or may not be able to rendezvous though depending on what time you were to get up there.

Timm, if folks express interest in exploring this weekend can you head it up? Again, i'll have my HT on 146.460, so feel free to give me a shout.

timmbuck2
07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I am heading up there on my bicycle from the Winter Park side on Sunday. I'll have an HT with me on 146.460 since Allison will be heading to the Rollinsville area to pick me up.

I do not really know what to expect but am hoping to get some pictures so I can show Cat what it all looks like and to get an idea if the snow conditions will allow for a run this next weekend. I also want to scope out meeting and camping spots.

If anybody wants to get up there on Sunday that'd be sweet, I may or may not be able to rendezvous though depending on what time you were to get up there.

Timm, if folks express interest in exploring this weekend can you head it up? Again, i'll have my HT on 146.460, so feel free to give me a shout.

Sunday could work...anyone interested? I am also available next Friday if we wanted one more look before we all head up there...

Timm

timmbuck2@yahoo.com

rover67
07-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Alright, as much as I hate to do this, I am postponing the event to a date later this summer.

Yesterday Allison and I dodged the storms and made it up there. There is still a lot of snow.

The big drift at the top of Jenny Creek near the winch anchor is still pretty huge, and there are a few drifts on the Rollins Pass Road that will certainly be too large to bust this weekend. There are also several more drifts near the top of Jenny Creek in addition to the winch anchor one.

I also talked to the Boulder Ranger District Office today and got a new contact there that will be supporting us at the next opportunity to do the clean up run. She and I spoke for a while and covered everything from necessary documents to possible dates to move the run to. She was very helpful and supportive. We also spoke about the newly eroded section of trail and the best way to approach it's repair. She wanted more pictures of the bad section so she could assess the situation before committing to anything. I let her know that it was bad and getting worse and offered to work on it, but she reminded me that one of their personnel has to be there if we are doing any road repair, and that wasn't in the budget this year. Allison and I avoided Jenny Creek Trail since the water looked ridiculously high to cross on foot so we didn't get any pictures of that section..

So, stay tuned for a new date for the run, I'll be looking at the calendar and talking to the BRD to get something set in stone.

1.) looking down on Yankee Doodle
2.) looking up on Yankee Doodle
3.) looking at the winch anchor and the Boulder Wagon Road gate
4.) Bottom of drift at top of Jenny Creek
5.) Bottom of same drift a bit farther away

rover67
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
A few more shots..

1.) looking farther down JC from the top
2.) where JC heads into the woods from the top
3.) drift on Rollins Pass

rover67
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Also, can a Mod change the title to pending for now? Thanks...

Jacket
07-11-2011, 10:39 PM
New date sounds good to me. After tomorrow the rain is supposed to head east and sun + 90* temps are back in the forecast.

nakman
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow that snow is impressive, looks more like mid-June than mid-July. Probably another 3-4 weeks before the work day could really happen then? Will be at least that before that last drift could be winched/busted, I reckon..

leiniesred
07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the images and reschedule, Marco.

Rezarf
07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, that hasn't changed much in almost 2 weeks. :eek:

mesomelas
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
updates?

rover67
07-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Still working with the FS to find a new date....

VBRoamer
07-27-2011, 12:21 PM
The entrance at YD was still well snowed in when I was up there this past Saturday.

rover67
07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the report! I was curious how much had melted...

I am looking at either Aug 20th or Sept. 10th right now, so hopefully snow shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Uncle Ben
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the report! I was curious how much had melted...

I am looking at either Aug 20th or Sept. 10th right now, so hopefully snow shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Marco....have a day you can get free to head up there soon? We can break open the last of the trail!

rover67
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I unfortunately do not, I will be out of town for the next two weeks so wheeling is a no go for me. If you can get up there though that'd be really cool.

I am still trying to get a date set. I emailed the BRD again today to try and get a response to my proposals.

rover67
07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Well it looks like we have a new date!!!! They just got back to me!!!

September 10th for the work day. I will update my first post to include this information and have some more specifics!!

Old40Dog
07-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Darn, guess the new date knocks me out. 10th is departure day for the Outlaw Run!

rover67
07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
I know, I tried to find something that wouldn't conflict and it just wasn't working...

:o/

wesintl
07-30-2011, 06:22 PM
There is some work to be done up there. UB Broke open the drift. Quads made all kinds of trails. It was 4th july deep

rover67
08-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Have folks taken a look at the Beetle Kill Video in the first link yet? It is a requirement for those choosing to volunteer at this event. I just watched it and it wasn't too bad, just basically talks about watching out for trees that might fall on you while out there working/playing.

Can anybody make the event or did we land on a totally inconvenient day this time? Take a look at your schedules and post up so I can start a list and start to think about where we will all camp. If it is a big group I know a perfect spot, i'll just have to get up there early with a bunch of tents to "reserve" it.

timmbuck2
08-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I can't make it...soccer has started....

corsair23
08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Can anybody make the event or did we land on a totally inconvenient day this time?

Waiting for the fall soccer schedule to come out but most likely I'll be unable to make it :(

Hulk
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
I updated the title of the thread.

Jacket
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I'll be there.

60wag
08-18-2011, 06:33 PM
I can make it.

rover67
08-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Can anybody else make this run?

Right now we have only 4 folks including me committed.

-Marco

Uncle Ben
08-26-2011, 04:14 PM
I thinks I'ms in... :hill::flamingo::flamingo:

FJBRADY
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
In

rover67
08-26-2011, 06:18 PM
SWEET!

shaping up to be a fun one!!

MDH33
08-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a wedding to attend that day, so can't make it unfortunately. :(

I'm sure you guys will do great things even with a smallish crew. :thumb:

nattybumppo
08-26-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm in! Plus good dog.

Rezarf
08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm 50/50, I will know by Tuesday.

60wag
09-06-2011, 01:16 PM
So the Friday evening run up to Yankee Doodle lake still on?

What tools should we bring for post n' cable repair?

Should I leave the Bobcat at home?

rover67
09-06-2011, 02:18 PM
I am still planning on heading up friday evening. Is anybody else?

I'm bringing burgers to cook.. with a few sides we'd probably have enough food for everybody.

Things to Bring:

Trash bags
Shovel
Work Gloves
Boots

Did I miss anything?

Does anybody have a few buckets they can bring? Maybe 4 would do us right... That way we can haul water up to mix concrete for the posts. Last time we did it we just dumped water on the concrete around the posts and it worked pretty well.

You can leave the bobcat at home this time :)

I am working with the FS to figure out what else we might need.

Can anybody wander up there this week to see how much concrete we might need for posts? If not I'll get up there and assess later in the week.

Uncle Ben
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Can anybody wander up there this week to see how much concrete we might need for posts? If not I'll get up there and assess later in the week.

I'll try to sneak up there this week and get a count of leaned over posts.

rover67
09-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I'll try to sneak up there this week and get a count of leaned over posts.

That'd be pretty awesome UB, thanks!

satchel
09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I can probably make it. I don't have a clue where this is though. I can get up there on Fri evening I think, if I had any idea where this is. Where is everyone camping?

rover67
09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
check the google link on the first page of the thread for a meeting location for Friday evening. If you get up there later, just follow "county road 117" AKA "Rollins Pass Rd." up to Yankee Doodle lake. We'll be camped out near Yankee Doodle, probably off to the right near the end of Jenny Creek Trail. Do you have a CB? Try us on channel 4, I'll leave my radio on.

Jacket
09-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I'll know more toward the end of the week. Friday night is probably out for me though.

FJBRADY
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
check the google link on the first page of the thread for a meeting location for Friday evening. If you get up there later, just follow "county road 117" AKA "Rollins Pass Rd." up to Yankee Doodle lake. We'll be camped out near Yankee Doodle, probably off to the right near the end of Jenny Creek Trail. Do you have a CB? Try us on channel 4, I'll leave my radio on.

Hey Marco, for those driving up on Saturday to help, what time and where do you want to meet?

rover67
09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
If you want to come up Saturday morning, meet at the kiosk at Yankee Doodle at 9:00am.

Matt, bummer.

Air Randy
09-07-2011, 11:13 AM
If you are using the stuff that already has the cement and aggregate mixed in the bag, you don't even need to add water. Just pour the dry mix around the post and tamp it down good. It will attract moisture out of the ground and air and will be setup hard within 12 hours or so. I've done hundreds of fence posts this way and it works great.

rover67
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Alright, I am headed up tonight to get us a spot and check out how much concrete we need. Randy, thanks for the tips! If you are planning on camping friday night let me know so i can know how many folks to expect. Right now I have Trey and Bruce.

-Marco

nattybumppo
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Gotta beg out..sorry.

nuclearlemon
09-08-2011, 01:06 PM
a thread regarding the trail, in case an email never gets sent

http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=187611

rover67
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Please forward me any emails sent. my addy is in the roster.

The forest service knows the road needs help but they aren't able to rescource the work this year. my goal is to get it on their radar.

Thanks,
Marco

wesintl
09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
or we never check the pres email..

FJBRADY
09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Would like to check out the mud holes referenced and take pictures....from what is sound like it is down the creek in the Eldora cross country ski area.

rover67
09-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Steve, I just sent you a PM Re: leading the Jenny Creek portion of the day. The folks at the BRD have been really tough to get a hold of this week (I have left several messages) but I am hoping that maybe we can get somebody from there to ride along on the Jenny Creek portion. If they see it first hand maybe the work on it can get prioritized. Also, I am thinking out loud here, but with the light attendance, maybe our efforts would be better focused on working on Jenny Creek with the FS there for supervision. After I get up there tonight I can see if we can just leave post and cable out and hit Jenny Creek alone instead.

DanS
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Quick heads up: If Kate can fit it into her schedule, we'll be there. Should know by the end of today.

Big plus if there are mushrooms up there. The King Boletas have stopped coming up in our neck of the woods from lack of rain.

Dan

wesintl
09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I think the biggest thing is closing the illegal bypasses. can you take carsonite up there? They seem to be bad this year probably due to heavy snow and late melt off and people being impatient.

60wag
09-08-2011, 03:54 PM
It sounds to me that the mud holes are down stream on 502.1. I've never been down there when there hasn't be snow. It'd be worth a look this weekend.

rover67
09-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I think the biggest thing is closing the illegal bypasses. can you take carsonite up there? They seem to be bad this year probably due to heavy snow and late melt off and people being impatient.

I have proposed to the FS that we take one of their employees down Jenny Creek to check it out, I'm waiting to hear back. I also mentioned the creation of bypasses and asked if we could bring some carsonite up there to help block off some routes. I also called them and left a message and sent emails regarding everything... if I don't hear back I will drive there tomorrow afternoon to talk to them in person.

nuclearlemon
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
i have to get the new cat in for a checkup sat morning at 8, but if i get out early enough, i may try to meet up with you.

Uncle Ben
09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Just got back from a J Creek recon trip. Trail is overall pretty good shape. The trail washout next to the tree is pretty much a lost cause to repair as now the water is receded that section is only a couple hundred yards long so you might as well just stay in the creek a little longer. The water diversion we did in the rocks held and stopped the water from continuing to cut the rut. The whole rut is healing and is not difficult anymore. That is all on private property anyway so Forest Service cannot make ANY decisions about repairs there. When they (FS) reroutes that section in the future it will take that whole creek bed road out of the trail pattern. I discovered a HUGE new illegal route created by rougue ATVers and unfortunately full size vehicle have started using it. It needs immediate attention as it begins at a posted closed off-shoot, goes steeply up the hillside and right through wilderness boundary posts! It is located several hundred yards East of the Boulder Wagon Road gate. The camping area at the gate has new ATV routes all over obviously created to get around the drift we broke in August. The post and cabling is actually holding up pretty good considering! Obviously, mixing concrete rather than our previous dry bagging attempts is the key! Most end posts are leaning but only a couple of the middle posts need help. I counted 12 posts that were leaning. The kiosk looks great! but the literature in it could use replacement as it's really fading out! When I got back into Boulder I stopped by the BRD office and had a chat with Cat and showed her the pictures I took of the new illegal route and I also told her how many bags of 'crete we would need. She said there was no budget left for materials but she did agree that we had to try to stop or discourage the wilderness area entry. I called Marco and we plan on purchasing some ready mix bags....hopefully the club (you) will pull some cash from the emergency fund and reimburse! I'll post pics later after I get a chance to make them web friendly. OH....and all the many firepits I looked at were full of burnt and unburnt cans, bottles and trash. Someone needs to do trash duty this weekend!

subzali
09-08-2011, 05:59 PM
maybe post the pics under the Members Only section, if appropriate UB. Thanks for the report!

corsair23
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
When I got back into Boulder I stopped by the BRD office and had a chat with Cat and showed her the pictures I took of the new illegal route and I also told her how many bags of 'crete we would need. She said there was no budget left for materials but she did agree that we had to try to stop or discourage the wilderness area entry. I called Marco and we plan on purchasing some ready mix bags....hopefully the club (you) will pull some cash from the emergency fund and reimburse!

Thanks for doing a recon run UB :thumb:

Money/reimbursement should NOT be an issue for any needed materials. There is a reason we retain CM money year to year for purposes just like this.

rover67
09-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for getting up there Kevin, that really helps a lot, also thanks for getting over to the FS office, they still haven't gotten in touch with me.

I am just going to cancel the camping portion of this trip so tomorrow I can focus on getting Maribeth on board with what we plan to do this weekend. It will also give me time and space to get concrete to haul up there saturday morning. Hopefully that dosen't give any folks too much heartburn, but seeing as only a few were looking at potentially camping I don't think it should.

Lets still plan on meeting at the Kiosk at Yankee Doodle Lake at 9:00am. see first post for google maps.

Northerners plan on meeting at the home depot in Boulder at 7am then heading up. They open at 6 so I will get there early and buy some concrete. We can distribute it among whoever shows up to caravan up. I know it will be at least Bruce and myself so at least we'll have two trucks.

I'll keep receipts for what we buy, shouldn't bee too expensive, I am thinking 10-15 bags of concrete.

DanS
09-09-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm in, but solo. I'll be bringing the 40, and have an extra seat if anyone wants to ride along.

I'll bring a shovel or two, and a few buckets.

I can pick up/haul some supplies too if needed. I'll definitely stock up on some strong/big trash bags.

Dan

timmbuck2
09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for doing a recon run UB :thumb:

Money/reimbursement should NOT be an issue for any needed materials. There is a reason we retain CM money year to year for purposes just like this.

I will also chip in $100 to the club for Jenny Creek maintenance. I will use the paypal link.

satchel
09-09-2011, 10:18 AM
A friend and I will be heading up to go camping up there tonight, so if anyone else is planning on heading up there please let me know so we can meet up. Otherwise I'll see you all sometime in the Saturday AM.

Does anyone know if there is plenty of wood up there I can use as firewood or should I take my own up there?

60wag
09-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Last weekend there was a fire ban in Boulder county but it has been lifted as of Wed, 9/7. There may still be some ban signs posted that need to come down.

Uncle Ben
09-09-2011, 11:09 AM
A friend and I will be heading up to go camping up there tonight, so if anyone else is planning on heading up there please let me know so we can meet up. Otherwise I'll see you all sometime in the Saturday AM.

Does anyone know if there is plenty of wood up there I can use as firewood or should I take my own up there?

Plenty of wood in the area but yesterday EVERYTHING was soaked! If you have room I would pack up some dry wood.

rover67
09-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I just got off the phone with Maribeth who will be meeting us up there at 9:00am

She is bringing carsonite and route closed/no motor vehicle stickers, and the driver. I asked her if she wanted to head down Jenny Creek with a group and she said yes, she'd like that a lot. She'd be willing to do any route repair we can with hand tools also which is big news. She's also bringing stuff for the Kiosk.

I will be getting concrete tomorrow morning at Home depot for the posts and at least Bruce and myself will be taking it up to JC. Dan, Can you bring up 4 bags of concrete in the 40? it'll smooth your ride out on Rollins pass and lighten Bruce and my load.. Thanks for bringing the buckets, that'll help a lot.

This thing is finally coming together here less than 24hrs before it's supposed to happen, phew. Thanks everybody for helping out so far and to those of you committed to heading up. It's going to be a busy day for our small group up there. We have lots of posts to get straightened and lots of carsonite to hammer in.

Don't forget to bring yourselves plenty of WATER and FOOD for the day, sunscreen too.

rover67
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
From Maribeth:

:Quote:

Re: concrete - we are unfortunately in our end-of-year spending cutoff, so the FS cannot make purchases. If Rising Sun wants to/is willing to purchase some concrete for repairing posts, that would be helpful - Cat asks that we not plan on installing any new post/cable this year, though (like to block the new hill climb being used to access the Boulder Wagon Road). For new work needs other than repair to existing lengths of post and cable, we'll make a list/plan for next year.

I'll be happy to take a ride down the trail to see the damaged areas, and will plan on doing some work to fix what we can.

Any specific tools you'd like me to bring? Unless you specifically need something else, I'll bring along the driver and pilot hole driver for carsonites, stickers for carsonites, shovel, pulaski, pick axe, rock bar, and McLeod in my truck, plus hand tools and clamps for working with cable.

:End Quote:

Uncle Ben
09-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Marco, what if we donate a few green T-posts and I'll bring a driver. That should detour most from the illegal access. I'm still unsure what I'm taking up but I'm leaning towards hauling the 40 on the trailer behind my work truck. We could throw all tools and equipment in the back of the truck and on the trailer. I do plan on checking out the trail East of the Jenny Creek crossing too. I've seen some ATV's playing in a nasty looking bog several times and I suspect it's that direction which is not being managed.

rover67
09-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Alrighty folks, I just filled my fridge and cooler with waters, gatorades, and cokes. Also got 4 bags of chips. should be good on drinks and some snacks. getting excited for tomorrow.

DanS
09-10-2011, 12:41 AM
Alrighty folks, I just filled my fridge and cooler with waters, gatorades, and cokes. Also got 4 bags of chips. should be good on drinks and some snacks. getting excited for tomorrow.

Me too, should be fun.

I can haul 4 bags, no sweat. I can try to buy some in Idaho Springs before I leave in the morning (hardware store opens at 8 I think, so it might put me a few minutes behind). Or I can meet you guys at Rollinsville and move them to the 40 there.

I've got two buckets for water hauling, and I can probably get one more if we need one to mix concrete in. I need to keep the two buckets pretty clean/smooth inside (we use them for gold panning).

I'll check this when I wake up at about 6:30, to see what the plan is on the concrete and if I need to hit the hardware store. Last question: I watched the video, should I bring my woodcutting helmet or any more safety gear than gloves?

Dan

Uncle Ben
09-10-2011, 06:11 PM
What a great and very productive day! The new Ranger overseeing the project, Mary Beth, was awesome to work with and she really enjoyed wheeling with us too! The other Ranger, Beth, was way cool too! We got everything done we wanted too and more!!! Thank you all who took time out of your weekend to help!

:thumb::thumb::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::risingsun

corsair23
09-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I will also chip in $100 to the club for Jenny Creek maintenance. I will use the paypal link.

Timm, feel free to donate $$ but that is not necessary. We have money as a club for trail maintenance etc. sitting waiting to be used in situations just like this.

Marco, UB, etc. please retain receipts for snacks, drinks, concrete, etc. that you've purchased and I'll make sure we reimburse folks. We might need to make a motion at the next meeting but that shouldn't be an issue :thumb:

60wag
09-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I had a lot of fun today. The post N cable repair was pretty easy. It is holding up well; just a couple of leaning posts and some loose cable. The wet area where the Jenny Creek road meets the Rollins Pass road looks great. It has filled in with plenty of greenery and wild flowers. It's the best it has looked in the 20 odd years I have been going up there. I feel a deep sense of pride in participating in the work in that area.

If you haven't been up there, you're missing a great trail that is filled with scenic views and Colorado history.

treerootCO
09-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Thank you everyone for your hard work and dedication to this project. I spent the weekend up there and the area looks great! We cleaned up the fire pits and removed a few duplicates that were less than 3' from combustibles. Now if I would have just remembered the work day date was the 10th :o

rover67
09-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks Mike!! It was nice bumping in to you guys!! Hope you had a good time up there!

Uncle Ben
09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks Mike!! It was nice bumping in to you guys!! Hope you had a good time up there!

???????

rover67
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I ended up staying up there a few more hours with Dan, we ended up dragging some logs in front of that one steep route that connects the beginning of Jenny Creek (at the bottom) to the Rollins pass road. We also looked for some Porchini's (didn't find any) for a while, and by the time we made it to the bottom of the hill and were airing up we bumped into mike heading up to camp.

Uncle Ben
09-12-2011, 11:33 AM
I ended up staying up there a few more hours with Dan, we ended up dragging some logs in front of that one steep route that connects the beginning of Jenny Creek (at the bottom) to the Rollins pass road. We also looked for some Porchini's (didn't find any) for a while, and by the time we made it to the bottom of the hill and were airing up we bumped into mike heading up to camp.

OIC. How did Steve and I mis you guy? You must have found a great hiding place! ;

rover67
09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
We were on the lower portion of Jenny Creek near the last creek crossing before you head up to Rollins Pass again. Did you guys run it again?

Uncle Ben
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
We were on the lower portion of Jenny Creek near the last creek crossing before you head up to Rollins Pass again. Did you guys run it again?

Ahhh.....nope, we loaded up all the stuff we had in the back of Mary Beths truck and proceded to travel down to the trailers at speeds that smoothed out the pot holes but obviously loosened bots on skid plates! :eek: :D

Jacket
09-12-2011, 01:09 PM
OIC. How did Steve and I mis you guy? You must have found a great hiding place! ;

When Bruce and I left the JC trailhead to head home, Marco and Dan went back to the creek crossing to get Dan's 40. Not long after that, you and Steve passed me (with Sam at the wheel). So you guys were probably coming down Rollins Pass Road when they were at the creek.

Uncle Ben
09-12-2011, 03:51 PM
When Bruce and I left the JC trailhead to head home, Marco and Dan went back to the creek crossing to get Dan's 40. Not long after that, you and Steve passed me (with Sam at the wheel). So you guys were probably coming down Rollins Pass Road when they were at the creek.

So your saying that Dans Cruiser was "up the creek without a person?" :lmao::lmao: