PDA

View Full Version : Need to clean out a gas tank - recommendations wanted

Inukshuk
04-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Anyone have a place to bring an old gas tank for cleaning?

I want to get the rust out and then have it lined. I did it myself once about 12 years ago and it worked ok, but this time if its not cost prohibitive I'd like to just take it somewhere.

I don't want to buy a new one unless its cost prohibitive and in any event the old one is still better quality.

Sorry, no cruiser content :rant: - its for my VW Thing. :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs
04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't think tanks will rust if there is gas in them. :rolleyes:

RockRunner
04-03-2011, 11:13 AM
There is a shop on Florida and Broadway that does/used to do them. He mostly works on radiators but does gas tanks too. I think the name is Jim's radiator shop.

Inukshuk
04-03-2011, 12:07 PM

:confused: It had 3 gal in a 10 gal tank. Top portion had rust. I also knew from years ago that I was getting some tiny rust particles clogging my carb jets. Fortunately its an easy carb to rebuild. Next time I store it I think I will drain the tank and lines.

There is a shop on Florida and Broadway that does/used to do them. He mostly works on radiators but does gas tanks too. I think the name is Jim's radiator shop.

I found http://www.floridaradiator.com/. They list Gas Tank Repair. I'll call them Monday.

Additional places still welcome.

L43dean
04-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Daniel, I believe the shop that Tom is refering to is "Florida Radiator". I have been to "Aurora Radiator 303 366 2355" recently. They do good work and may do fuel tanks or have a solid referal. Also when last in B&T Bedlners (see club vendor list) for WBPP I saw two 60's Impalas that looked like staff projects. I bet they know someone! Your Thing, is it a type 182? I recall a youtube video comparo, disco v. kubel. it was a toss up on the steep loose rutted hill climb and close in bottomless mire. Gotta go now, Lady Natalie and I are getting kittted out in our tweeds to go play some polo, old chap.

Inukshuk
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Daniel, I believe the shop that Tom is refering to is "Florida Radiator". I have been to "Aurora Radiator 303 366 2355" recently. They do good work and may do fuel tanks or have a solid referal. Also when last in B&T Bedlners (see club vendor list) for WBPP I saw two 60's Impalas that looked like staff projects. I bet they know someone! Your Thing, is it a type 182? I recall a youtube video comparo, disco v. kubel. it was a toss up on the steep loose rutted hill climb and close in bottomless mire. Gotta go now, Lady Natalie and I are getting kittted out in our tweeds to go play some polo, old chap.

Thx for the tips.

All US Things are Type 181. Type 182 was right-hand drive and called the "Trekker" Otherwise the same.

But for lack of power and low range, yes, the Thing goes anywhere.

RockRunner
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I found http://www.floridaradiator.com/. They list Gas Tank Repair. I'll call them Monday.

Additional places still welcome.

That is them, they are about 1/2 block east of Broadway and 1.5 blocks from Doggie delights 1432 S. Broadway................you can get the puppy some treats while they fix your tank.;) Tell my parents to give you the "Tom" discount :D Always works I think :rolleyes:

Inukshuk
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Tell my parents to give you the "Tom" discount

Parents? Your folks own the place?

Rzeppa
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Yes they do. Mostly from the outside, especially the bottom. They can also rust from the inside if there is any water in the gas - it settles to the bottom.

Dr. Schlegs
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM

His parents own the pet shop. I have to go there sometime. Tom was telling me about the quality food they have there. Anna needs some better food. The "Tom Discount"? I hope they love you as much as we do, Tom:).

Inukshuk
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
His parents own the pet shop. I have to go there sometime. Tom was telling me about the quality food they have there. Anna needs some better food. The "Tom Discount"? I hope they love you as much as we do, Tom:).

Ah - Doggie delights 1432 S. Broadway.
I'll check it out.

Inukshuk
04-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Florida Radiator will repair but will not clean and reline. Have not done cleaning in 12 years.

Walker Transmission listed it on their website but also does not do it anymore.

RockRunner
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Yes, they switched to dog stuff from antiques:D

RockRunner
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Anna needs some better food. The "Tom Discount"? I hope they love you as much as we do, Tom:).

I think so..............at least they say they do but they love Sharon :Princess: more :(

Dr. Schlegs
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I think so..............at least they say they do but they love Sharon :Princess: more :(

Then it should be the "Sharon Discount". I will ask for the "Sharon Discount" it's a better deal I suspect.

P.S. We like Sharon more too. ;)

RockRunner
04-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Then it should be the "Sharon Discount". I will ask for the "Sharon Discount" it's a better deal I suspect.

P.S. We like Sharon more too. ;)

Yeah yeah.............I get it, Sharon is prettier and she carries winch line. How many woman do you know that do that.

No Back to the topic, Daniel where are you going to take it now?

Inukshuk
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
No Back to the topic, Daniel where are you going to take it now?

$139 for a new tank. Not OEM but made for a very good store: The Thing Shop