PDA

View Full Version : 40 meter QSO?

Bruce Miller
04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Anybody want to try a QSO on 40 meters anytime this week? I finally have my 2 element beam and a vertical ready to go. Pick a frequency and time.

Bruce Miller
04-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm hearing Denver stations now and would think that would continue into the evening. I'll be listening on Wednesday night local (0115Z Thursday morning) on 7.177 and QSY up as needed. I think the beam will do better as the low take off angle of the vertical should tend to favor DX stations. I guess we'll see Wednesday evening.

rhyary
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
I am game.
I have the 17M today, but I'll mount the 40M tonight when I get home. I am a head of you time wise two hours.

I will be on 7.177.

Dave, what's you call sign. Not in your signature.

rhyary
04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Roger roger

I'll post here when I am on 40

rhyary
04-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok, i am on 40m
There is QSO on 1.178

rhyary
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Let me know when you guys are on
I'll keep the 40m on the truck

I'll have to go out to the truck, so send me PM when u on

leiniesred
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Well Dave I did it. I have a HF rig now. Sorta. You know I have a thing for the boat anchors and I finally picked up a tech special (in my price range!) 37+ pounds of late 1970's hybrid Kenwood fun. Repairs are going well so far. I have neither mic nor bug (or skills) so I won't be joining you guys this week, but maybe soon.

I've keyed up to a dummy load and I think it will actually transmit now. The valves were replaced in 1997 and I replaced the driver tube last weekend. The new tube fixed the falling drive after a few seconds of transmit problem.

The lack of a proper antenna is also a problem I'll have to overcome. With a 20/40 dipole strung up across the back yard on the fence I can hear the west coast quite well. I've heard some south America and some eastern Europe too. I don't have much to compare receive performance to since I've never done any of this before, but I'm learning from the ckt. board up. kinda like having to assemble my first car before I could learn to drive!

rhyary
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Bruce, Dave and anyone else.

I realized that when I leave work at 5, it is only 3pm on your end.

So If you want to try QSO at 5pm + on your end, it will be 7pm EST. Basically I have to go out to my car to give it a try.

It will be helpful if you guys can indicate when you think you will be on the air.

I will try CQ CQ on proposed fr 7.177 when I leave work. Just for the hell of it. That would be 3pm your time.

rhyary
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
roger roger.

What is 0115Z means?

Never mind, just saw it Zulu time.

rhyary
04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
A net is going on 7.175 and 7.178

Bruce Miller
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I heard Dave in there but it was a rough copy. I'm no expert on the 40 meter band so I'm unsure where we go from here. My friend here in town is a 40 meter expert. I'll run this by him and get his advice. Rami, I am able to get on the air just about any time during the day, if you want to try another time. And, Dave, my recent listening on 40 during daylight hours was much more of an enjoyable experience. Let's figure out how to make this work.

rhyary
04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Well,
At 9:15pm my time (EST) I was on both 175 and 178. I can hear the NET moderators 5-9 and very clear. some stations were clear, some not. I got a strong station from Utah. I did hear a station from Denver, but they were talking weak with the strong moderator.

I called CQ CQ CQ Denver Colorado on 177. But the moderator from 178 got back to me politely and firmly "the frequency is occupied!"

The 175 and 178 were doing endless rounds of signal reports and I did not stick around for long.

Bruce, I can go out lunch time 12PM EST (your 10am) to do CQ Denver on 40M.

Let me know a start frequency. I can try 177 again.

Rami

Bruce Miller
04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Our QSO last night was about my 5th one on 40 meters in 38 years of being an amateur. I'm definitely a newbie on that band and have lots to learn. It's much more crowded than other bands with static crashes and noise that is not heard on other bands. 40 meters certainly wouldn't be my go to band for emergency communications. It's big plus is that it is a night time band. So, you get home from work, turn on the rig, and you play radio on 40. I think we would have better results if we were running power. Dave, your signal was in the noise and very difficult to copy. I never did hear Rami. Is 40 the only band you have an antenna on?

rhyary
04-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I can do 17, 20 and 40. Soon 75 as well.

But I have to know a head of time since I have hamsticks. Currently I have a 40 stick on.

Bruce, do you want to try on my lunch time?

PS, if you are a newbie, what does it make me? -newbie?

rhyary
04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
dave,
i have IF 1.8 filter installed, but i think it is only on the receive end.

how would i select my tx filter? what do you think its called on the kenwood?

rhyary
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
I have the optional SSB 1.8 filter installed. Soldered it myself and it actually worked after I touched it.

From the owner manual:

TX Filter Bandwidth (SSB/ AM)
Use Menu No. 20 to select one of the following TX filter bandwidths: 2.0 kHz or 2.4 kHz (default).
Display Bandwidth Passband frequency
2.0 2.0 kHz 500 ~ 2500 Hz
2.4 2.4 kHz 300 ~ 2700 Hz

I can also put TX DSP filter as such:

TX Equalizer (SSB/ FM/ AM)
Use Menu No. 19 to change the transmission frequency characteristics of your signal. Uou can select from one of 6 different transmission profiles including the default flat response. Selecting any of the following items from the Menu causes “EQsT”
to appear on the display.
• Off (oFF): The flat frequency response for SSB, FM, and AM (default).
• High boost 1 (Hb1)/ High boost 2 (Hb2): Emphasizes higher audio frequencies; effective
for a bassy voice. High boost 2 does not reduce the low frequency as much as High
boost 1.
• Formant pass (FP): Improves clarity by suppressing audio frequencies outside the formal voice frequency range.
• Bass boost 1 (bb1)/ Bass boost 2 (bb2): Emphasizes lower audio frequencies; effective
for a voice with more high frequency components. Bass boost 2 emphasises more
low frequency response.
• Conventional (c): Emphasizes by 3 dB frequencies at 600 Hz and higher.
• User (U): Reserved for the optional ARCP software.

Off (oFF) is programmed at the factory as a default.

rhyary
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
yes Formant passes only speech. Good for car environment while driving.
The 1.8 filter does not rely on DSP. It is 'hard filter'
The truth is that initially I asked a more veteran ham to do the soldering, but then I got impatient and did it myself.
I also solder the TX-O stability Crystal. that involved cutting two wires, the first which flew into the radio and it took me 20 minutes to fish it out. One the second cut I was already more experienced.

so far I tried all DSP settings and none makes anything better. The only thing that makes a difference is the IF filter which is on/off.

Groucho
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Just a quick point...

My greatest success working stations mobile in the afternoon has been on 17M. I get the east coast around 2200Z and very quickly signals QSB toward the west coat and the Pacific. By 0000Z anything left is headed west.

I made my first Mobile HF contact to a station in Maine on 20M. Just recently I made a contact with a Station in Hawaii while I was on the Ladies in 80's run from the top of the trail near Alice. Sure, I was at 11,000' elevation. But I still had to work to get that QSO. He was probably being polite and giving me a 5-9 sig report but he said I was clear.

Keep trying, and always listen when you're in the car or at the radio. That way your mind becomes tuned to who you will hear and where they are from and at what time of day it will work. I never imagined that I would make a QSO with a station in Spain at 2030Z (2:30PM my time) on a Thursday, but I did.

Bruce Miller
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
I was using the beam, pointed north. The takeoff angle on the vertical is so low that it's typically better for working DX. I would have been 2 to 3 db lower had I switched to the vertical. From my limited experience on 40, it's very quiet during daytime house. Kind of enjoyable. I'm willing to try other bands. I think the ops on 40 use high power to be heard over the noise and the ops who don't run as much power. Like was mentioned in this thread, the bandwidth goes up with the increase in power, making it impossible for the barefoot op to carry on the most basic communications.

Let's try 17 meters.

rhyary
04-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm 40 dipole right now
Looking for clear freq

rhyary
04-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Calling CQ on 7.183

rhyary
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
CQ CQ CQ40 using buddipole.

rhyary
04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
There is a skeg on 20M today 14.342.5 I am going to try. Mostly QRP.
Starts at 2330Z. 7:30EST.

The CQ will call for Buddipole. So people from all over the US or world.

I had to cut the cable they sent me (bnc - bnc) and screw on a Radio Shack PL-259. That seems to be a problem as I got inconsistant SWR reading on the MFJ-269.

I ordred 100' RG-58x, crimp PL-259 and crimp tool. Should have it by Monday. I hope that will solve the problem.

Bruce Miller
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Coaxial connectors should be soldered. Keep an eye on your crimped connections as they're more likely to fail that with a soldered connection. I agree with Dave, that you should have a balun at the antenna. My Cushcraft 3 element tribander calls for a home made RF choke at the antenna end of the coax, and not a balun (although I think a balun would work just fine). The homebrew choke wouldn't require the purchase of a store bought balun. What does the Buddipole's owner's manual call out?

Let's try 17 meters, what do you say?

Bruce Miller
04-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Fb on 17 meters tonight at 0000GMT. I'm hearing east coast U.S. as well as Canada right now. The 17 meter band is 18.110 to 18.168. My rig is currently on 18.115 kHz and the beam is pointed north. If QRM, let's QSY up as required to find a clear spot. I doubt we'll QSY very far. 17 is nothing like 40 meters.

CU there.

Bruce Miller
04-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Nothing heard. Too close for this band?

rhyary
04-09-2011, 05:34 AM
I'm a head of you. I am using this at the feed point.
http://www.buddipole.com/trraswbat.html

The PL-259 I screwed on an broke the tip was unreliable.
A new cable borrowed solved the inconsitancy.

I am SWR 1 and 50 ohm at 14.380 and can do most of the range below 2.
The rest the LDG 200pro takes care off.

Last night QSO party on 14.342.5 I had good QSO with W3FF northern CA 5 3 and 5-4
However he was beaming 500W from his 1931 Ford model A. Alas not using the 6V car system, using a battery from the back seat.

I can drive a round to day Sat with 17m and freq above mentioned to see if I can catch Colorado

Bruce Miller
04-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Can't today, we're driving to Denver. Dave, you and I should run our QSO thru KD2KDK, a sort of relay QSO. I think you and I are too close for 17 meters. I was hearing lots of stations on the east coast. I'm thinking that 15 meters will have similar characteristics as 17. The relay method may be the ticket.

rhyary
04-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Hmm, just talked to someone in Albany on 17m
Can't do 15m

I will be on 18.157.5 +-

Have a safe trip Bruce.

xodeuce
04-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone going to have HF in Moab? I've been talking to a guy in town (Birmingham, AL - EM63) who said he wanted to try and have a qso with someone out there one evening / night during the event, most likely on 20 or 40. I would bring an HF rig, but unfortunately mine isn't so portable.

rhyary
04-26-2011, 04:18 AM
I'll be on 40m while moving and 20m while stationary

leiniesred
05-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I tried out my tech special Kenwood Hybrid boat anchor last night and made my very first HF transmission...and subsequent contacts on the OMISS 40M late net! I don't know how screwed up my radio still is, but I have it fixed enough for me to talk to 14 folks from Delaware to California on a dipole 6 feet off the ground so it can't be too far out of whack!

Pretty exciting actually. Communicating over 1700 miles makes me sheepishly look back at how excited I felt after talking 70 miles on a turn-key mobile 2m rig. I can appreciate how hams felt talking to each other in the pre-"unlimited minutes" mobile phone age.