PDA

View Full Version : Toyota to introduce diesel engines in 2012?

Caribou Sandstorm
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Today while traveling through Durango, a customer told me that his buddy, a Napa auto parts rep, told him Toyota was going to introduce to diesel engines in 2012.

The FJC gets a 3 liter and the Tundra gets something bigger. As the story goes his buddy says Napa received a letter from Toyota that they will need to begin to stock parts.

Seems a bit erroneous but maybe someone in here can verify?

An FJC diesel would drop in nicely in a 4runner!!!!

Corbet
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
OK, two points

1 - Your a few day late for April Fool's

2 - Your in Durango and no Phone call?

DanS
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
As someone who has emailed and called Toyota North America enough about diesels to have them answer the phone "oh, you're that guy, I'll get my pen."

I don't think this is correct at all. Not that it would be difficult at all, as most every North American platform is also world market with diesels.

That said, Auto Parts shops carry funny things. I know of a Carquest that carries a full line of parts for the HZJ-75/79 trucks. I walked in and could have walked out with anything from a BEB to a clutch. That particular auto parts store however was the supplier of contract for a mine that has a fleet of HZJ-75/79s, and they clearly had enough pull to get the national office to turn on that option for that store, as it were.

My local Carquest in Idaho Springs--not so much. Same deal with NAPA.

A 3.0L D-4D would be pretty sweet in a 4-runner or FJC though, that's for sure. It would ALMOST make me want to buy a new Toyota, almost.

Last question about the story: why would Toyota tell NAPA to start stocking parts? Toyota would add them to the parts inventory (or rather, stop restricting them in the US dealers) and be done with it. Lately, they have stepped up their crackdown on parts for the good stuff. I haven't had any orders cancelled, but I know of a few people who have (1HZ motor mounts, and an HDJ-81 snorkel--it's in the warehouse in Ontario RIGHT NOW, but they cancelled the order because it's not for a US spec vehicle). I have not had that problem in the past, and I've definitely ordered more than my fair share of stuff that "shouldn't" be here.

Back to your diesel dreaming....

Dan

Caribou Sandstorm
04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
OK, two points

1 - Your a few day late for April Fool's

2 - Your in Durango and no Phone call?

Sorry man, I was there for 2 brief meetings and then running late for a meeting in Cortez. I did have time to pick up a "Sampler" to go from guess where?

powderpig
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
The pres of Toyota Japan in 2008 promised diesels in 2010. Go figure that was a year ago. You can do a search if you like on this, it was in print at one time. With a new pres or ceo, he now calles the shots and can make different calls.
I will believe it when they roll off the ships, which with the current problems in Japan, may be a while. Unless they import the diesels from some other part of the world:cool:.
The more I have been looking at diesel in the USA, the more I see a common thread. We have poor quality fuel in the USA(goes for Gasoline as well). Where most other places have better Diesel fuel(higher Cetane rating, better lubrication quality of the fuel). It almost seems like one would not enter the market in the USA because of problems that the fuel could create and said owner of the vehicle would want the maker of the vehicle to cover the warranty, instead of the companys that make the fuel.;). Thank our government for not mandating this better. Fuel companies will get away with the least amount of work for the dollar they pull in. The end user need to be more aware and call the compaines on this. But hey, every thing is cheap in the good old USA. :D

FJ 432
04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
My one and only experience with a diesel motor was with a Prado last month in Costa Rica. What a great motor.

Dr. Schlegs
04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Chris are you looking to buy a new vehicle again?

Air Randy
04-06-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't know, I get a diesel magazine and in this months issue there was a blurb in there that Toyota is once again considering bringing diesels to the US. Thats probably where the parts guy got his basic info and then embellished a little.

Look at the ads on TV, BMW is making a big push to start selling diesels in their performance sedans.

The car makers still have to meet CAFE standards and since Toyota has started selling a lot more large vehicles that get less than stellar fuel mileage, it would be to their advantage to get higher mpg diesels in the mix.

subzali
04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

But I'll be saving my pennies.

Jacket
03-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/02/toyota-tacoma-diesel-not-worth-it-says-chief-engineer.html

DaveInDenver
03-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Jacket is spot on, simply not going to happen. Toyota is committed to hybrids and gasoline in the U.S. and in light of the new EPA requirements it's hard to imagine diesels of any kind in new cars in the future.

Unless the customer is willing to absorb the several thousand dollar premium to implement the emissions controls, that is to say probably VW Tdi, Ram/Silverado/Super Duty, etc. will continue to get them.

I'd happily like to be wrong and we see the Chevy Colorado sell like crazy with diesels. But I just doubt it.

wesintl
03-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I have beach front property in limon if anyone is interested in too.. :lmao:

IF you need a japanese diesel from Indiana just buy a TITAN!

Woodsman
03-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/02/toyota-tacoma-diesel-not-worth-it-says-chief-engineer.html

We had some discussion with an individual from Toyota last summer that, when asked about putting a diesel in the Tundra, said "If you don't mind spending a billion on chassis redesign."

With that being said, Toyota has in fact approached Cummins about using the same 5.0 that will be making an appearance in the Nissan Titan. There are no known "deals" yet as those stupid blogs like Autoguide and such keep spouting off. The speculation however is that Toyota wants to see how the Ram half ton diesel does (selling wayyy more than anticipated) before committing to it. I would speculate that if they did decide to do a Tundra diesel it would likely happen at the same time as a Tundra redesign.

I have been told, however, that there are a couple of Cummins diesel powered Tundras running around Columbus Indiana as test mules. Whether this is something Cummins has done on their own or with instruction from Toyota, I do now know. I haven't seen any myself although I know they have Nissans and Dodge half-tons running around non-stop to rack up mileage. They sometimes run them together for comparison, leap-frog occasionally and change drivers.

My old college roommate and my neighbor are both Cummins engineers and a large part of my work comes from Columbus so I try to dig for info every chance I get.

wesintl
03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
no one here wants a cummins tundra tho... we want the real deal holyfield japanese VD, d4d, hz etc

DaveInDenver
03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
no one here wants a cummins tundra tho... we want the real deal holyfield japanese d4d, 1hz etc
I don't care all that much, my goal is mostly mileage and if Toyota decides a domestic small diesel would sell then fine. But I would really like the option for a 1KD-FTV Tacoma (since an actual Hilux is a /total/ pipe dream apparently).

Hulk
03-16-2015, 08:28 AM
The speculation however is that Toyota wants to see how the Ram half ton diesel does (selling wayyy more than anticipated) before committing to it.

I know a guy who bought one and loves it. He says that he may never buy another vehicle for the rest of his life.

SteveH
07-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Step right up! ;-)

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/28/general-motors-midsize-diesel-trucks-ready-to-roll/?intcmp=hpff

cruiseroutfit
07-29-2015, 08:12 AM
I am glad to see Chevy, Nissan and others stepping up with a diesel. That is about the only hope we have of seeing Toyota rock a diesel in the US... they won't do it if they have to define the market, they will do it if they start losing the light truck market.

B1LL31
07-29-2015, 08:29 AM
I know a guy who bought one and loves it. He says that he may never buy another vehicle for the rest of his life.

He must not have a long life expectancy :D

CardinalFJ60
07-29-2015, 08:38 AM
no one here wants a cummins tundra tho... we want the real deal holyfield japanese VD, d4d, hz etc

Are these motors importable? And/or able to be retrofitted into toyotas here? I've heard the 12ht is a fairly straightforward swap since they were also offered with them in other parts of the world. Is this true with other newer models? Is emissions the big issue?

Is anyone importing these motors now?

Fishy
07-29-2015, 09:05 AM
I spoke with Mike Sweers for about an hour about it.

http://tlca.org/toyotatrails/2015/0708/html5.html#page/44

PabloCruise
07-29-2015, 09:45 AM
I spoke with Mike Sweers for about an hour about it.

http://tlca.org/toyotatrails/2015/0708/html5.html#page/44

That was an important article! Not the answer I wanted to see, but very important that the Trails reached out, Toyota communicated to us as a market.

Fishy
07-29-2015, 09:57 AM
That was an important article! Not the answer I wanted to see, but very important that the Trails reached out, Toyota communicated to us as a market.

Agreed. Toyota USA is very much aware of who we (TLCA) are.

I actually just asked for a quote from my Toyota contact. That started an email chain that eventually found it's way to the TRD guys who recognized my name, and eventually someone suggested I speak directly to Mike Sweers. It was something like "this is Toyota Trails and TLCA, they are some of the most loyal Toyota customers that we have, he needs to speak directly to Mike".

The info that I printed is straight from the horse himself. I pressed hard about the Tundra diesel, and while he never said never and he told me more than once that he wouldn't speak about future projects, I just got the feeling that they are not planning to drop a diesel in the Tundra. That's just my gut from a 1 hour conversation and I may be totally wrong.

While we (TLCA) may be small, we do carry some weight. Just another reason why membership is so important. It's not just about the FJ40, but even the new vehicles that are rolling off the assembly line. TLCA is more than just a cool logo and an awesome magazine ;)

Imagine if we had 10,000 members....

PabloCruise
07-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Very nice they are making those connections.

I read the publication for the BMW CCA and there are a lot of corporate connections. It definitely gives the club a very legitimate appearance.

cruiseroutfit
07-31-2015, 09:40 AM
Come to CruiserFest and make your voices heard. Toyota's cheif Toyota Land Cruiser Engineer, Koyari-San, will be joning us from Japan and will have a major annoucement to share. Other Toyota corporate personael will also be joining us. I spent some time with the Land Cruiser US market lead at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum a couple of weeks back... they are well aware of the neat LC offerings outside the US as well as the niche want/desire for them here in the US. I don't expect any major changes on that front for the time behing but am excited to see them engaging us as users.

SteveH
07-31-2015, 11:20 AM
Imagine if we had 10,000 members....

I'll bet the opinions of the TLCA members influence that many, or more. How many of us recommend Toyotas to our friends, or help fix others' Toyotas?