PDA

View Full Version : 80 - Oil Pump Cover Leak (& crank seal)...

LARGEONE
04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
OK...I know I've read that a few of you have done this fix in the last year or so! I've read the "how to's" on MUD, but I still have a few questions:

1) Is the "starter-bump" method really the easiest way to remove the crank shaft bolt?

2) Is a 1/2" - 30mm socket going to deform either removing the crank bolt or trying to torque it back to 305 lb-ft?

3) How did you guys achieve the 305 lb-ft? Did you rent a 3/4" torque wrench that can accomplish this, or did you just make it tight as hell and call it good? I've read enough to think this might be a bad idea!!!

4) Does anyone in the club know where I can get a torque wrench near Broomfield that can accomplish this? And I also might need to get a 3/4" 30mm socket if the 1/2" is going to break?

5) Finally, what is the best way to hold the crank while tightening the crank bolt. I know there is an SST for this, but.... many have done the socket in the inspection window (of the torque converter?), but I was wondering if there was anything I should be careful of when doing this? I've never had this window off and it has plenty of gunk holding it on and the rubber feels a bit dry...is this going to rip on me when I try to remove it?

I really want to attempt this fix, but the crank bolt is really my hang-up....any suggestions? I already have all the parts to do this including a new idler pulley.

Thanks...I'll be at the meeting tomorrow evening if it's easier to COACH me in person :)

Paul

LARGEONE
04-05-2011, 11:03 PM
One more question...did others use additional sealant on the pump cover gasket, or just the gasket itself? THX.

Jacket
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I can't offer anything in the way of experience with this work, but I do have a 3/4" torque wrench that I believe has a 300 lb top end on it. You are welcome to borrow it if you decide to take on the project.

Inukshuk
04-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Paul,
Ige has done this and I was (still am) hoping to work on mine with her. I have the parts for mine (gasket, screws, front main). Was thinking the torque wrench might be rentable. Let me know if you are interested in wrenching on these together.
Daniel

bigbluefj
04-06-2011, 01:27 AM
I used my 18V Snap On impact to bust loose the Crank Nut was easy to do, and when i put it back together i used the same impact gun with some red lock tight and rattled it for awhile and all has been good for me.. As for the screws make sure you get the right bit for them and if you can apply a little heat and tap the bit to try and shake loose the screw..

Kevin

nuclearlemon
04-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes

No

Borrowed one from my old work, but

No clue where to get one now

Strap wrench

To use impacts, you'd have to pull radiator and I didnt want to do any of that

coax
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I think Ige and others answered most of your questions, but I'll give a newbie perspective as well.

1. The starter bump method scares the crap out of me. So I made a tool to hold the crank pulley. You could also jam a socket into the flywheel or flexplate or whatever its called.

2.Not sure. I used a 3/4 inch one from harbor freight. And a 3/4 breaker from Sears. I bought lots of tools for this job :)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_RHGIeuamB_E/SqEsPUDwroI/AAAAAAAAAVI/mDD7m6y4UmM/s1024/DSCF2199.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_RHGIeuamB_E/SqEsP3ys1vI/AAAAAAAAAVQ/C-xbo42zFSY/s1024/DSCF2204.JPG
You're welcome to borrow this if you want but it is a homebrew :)

3&4.Got lucky and a buddy borrowed one from work. IIRC there was one or two places in denver that had them for rent as well, but it sounds like some folks on the board might be able to wrangle one up. To torque the bolt back I used the same tool I fabbed up to take the bolt off.

5. Not sure about the access panel rubber. A good quality impact would also get the bolt off, if you have room with the radiator in there (unlikely).

6. I used a small bit of black fipg from toyota to hold the seal in place while I put the cover back on. Seems to be working OK.

1) Is the "starter-bump" method really the easiest way to remove the crank shaft bolt?

2) Is a 1/2" - 30mm socket going to deform either removing the crank bolt or trying to torque it back to 305 lb-ft?

3) How did you guys achieve the 305 lb-ft? Did you rent a 3/4" torque wrench that can accomplish this, or did you just make it tight as hell and call it good? I've read enough to think this might be a bad idea!!!

4) Does anyone in the club know where I can get a torque wrench near Broomfield that can accomplish this? And I also might need to get a 3/4" 30mm socket if the 1/2" is going to break?

5) Finally, what is the best way to hold the crank while tightening the crank bolt. I know there is an SST for this, but.... many have done the socket in the inspection window (of the torque converter?), but I was wondering if there was anything I should be careful of when doing this? I've never had this window off and it has plenty of gunk holding it on and the rubber feels a bit dry...is this going to rip on me when I try to remove it?

I really want to attempt this fix, but the crank bolt is really my hang-up....any suggestions? I already have all the parts to do this including a new idler pulley.

Thanks...I'll be at the meeting tomorrow evening if it's easier to COACH me in person :)

Paul

DaveInDenver
04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Using the starter to break loose the crank bolt has worked on my 22R. It's worked a couple of times unintentionally when I was doing valve lash adjustments, too. :-)

No idea on the torque wrench, 22R cranks bolts are much lower and my 1/2" is sufficient. Having a stick shift makes getting the bolt tight a lot easier, transmission in 5th gear, set the parking brake, chock the wheels and tighten the bolt.

TIMZTOY
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
i have a massize torque wrrence that will do the job, and a chain wrench to hold the pully, i also have the 30mm socket all profesional if needed, and hell il not going to be using them for another 2-3 weeks.

leiniesred
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I do it like BigBlue FJ, but I only have a mini truck.

I bang the crank bolt off and on with a 3/4" pneumatic impact wrench. Don't have to hold the crank or anything. Seems to work pretty well.

1/2" impact socket hasn't deformed the relatively soft crank bolt head or split or anything interesting.

LARGEONE
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Thank you for all of the quick responses. looks like most of my questions have been answered and that tools might be available through club resources. That is awesome. Will have to see when I can schedule the time to do this work.

Dan...we could definitely set up a day to knock this out.

Inukshuk
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
i have a massize torque wrrence that will do the job, and a chain wrench to hold the pully, i also have the 30mm socket all profesional if needed, and hell il not going to be using them for another 2-3 weeks.

Sold!

So, Paul, Ige and Tim - how's your weekend looking. Weather is supposed to be nice and I'll buy the beer (or soda) and pizza if we use my NW Denver driveway. (by Sloan's Lake)

nuclearlemon
04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
i'm home this weekend doing either main seals in the blue pig, and/or stabbing a tranny in the green pig, but i have lots of room in my driveway for wrenching.

Corbet
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
After having many of the same questions last year when mine was leaking I decided to pay the guy.

My local mechanic only charged me $210 from memory (I supplied the parts)

I let him bust his knuckles torquing to 310 ft/lbs

Inukshuk
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

PM Sent

LARGEONE
04-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Daniel...are you still planning on tackling this tomorrow? I'm having my birthday celebration tonight up in Black Hawk, so probably won't be back until noon on Sunday. probably puts me out unless you're doing an afternoon wrenching session. I think at this point, I just need the 3/4" 30mm and the hefty torque wrench to get this done.

Inukshuk
04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Ige, did you remove the fan shroud as well?

Inukshuk
04-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Daniel...are you still planning on tackling this tomorrow? I'm having my birthday celebration tonight up in Black Hawk, so probably won't be back until noon on Sunday. probably puts me out unless you're doing an afternoon wrenching session. I think at this point, I just need the 3/4" 30mm and the hefty torque wrench to get this done.

Just now saw this post. I got the job done Saturday. :thumb:

Just now finished the tie rod ends. Did the relay rod ends last night. No more wrenching for me for a bit.

Inukshuk
04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Daniel...are you still planning on tackling this tomorrow?

PS. Happy birthday and if you do this job after cruise Moab I'd try to make it and assist.

LARGEONE
04-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks Daniel. Great job getting ask that done. I'm clearing out one side of my garage and I'm going to try to get this done as well as have the garage ready for front axle rebuild.