PDA

View Full Version : Fj40 Tre

FJBRADY
04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Anybody on the south end of town have a tie rod end for a FJ40?

I will be upgrading soon, but need this tre to get the truck rolling again to address a couple other items on the truck this weekend.

Thanks.

wesintl
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I might have a used one. which one do you need? The ends have different thread and the one that goes from the DL to the tre has a longer taper

FJBRADY
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I might have a used one. which one do you need? The ends have different thread and the one that goes from the DL to the tre has a longer taper

Right on, Wes.

It is the passenger side connecting the DL to the main link between the knuckles.

Let me post a pic.

wesintl
04-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I'll look when I get home

Air Randy
04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
If you want to swing by my place I think I can fix you up. If you do, stop by Ricardo's first and grab my $200 that Art gave him last night.:D

wesintl
04-07-2011, 06:51 PM
so far I can only find the mini truck tie rod i have. I don't even know why i have it.

PhatFJ
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Steve, I have several used and I think I may even have a new one... Call me I will PM you my #. If you do not have it,,

Uncle Ben
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Steve, I do have the 1.5 taper reamer if your ready to put in the big boy goods.

MDH33
04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Steve, I do have the 1.5 taper reamer if your ready to put in the big boy goods.

What's the best upgrade to stock 40? Just curious as I'll need to redo mine at some point.

:zilla:

Uncle Ben
04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
What's the best upgrade to stock 40? Just curious as I'll need to redo mine at some point.

:zilla:

60 series have the same taper as the 40's but with a larger shank so they are a good upgrade to stock. 80's are basically metric 1 ton's. I recently did break some after market 80 ones. The Toyota ones are very break proof! (notice I did not say un-breakable!:rolleyes:)

subzali
04-07-2011, 09:31 PM
UB, isn't the Toyota taper 1.2" per foot or 1:10?

Uncle Ben
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
UB, isn't the Toyota taper 1.2" per foot or 1:10?

40's 60's and minis are.

RockRunner
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I think you may want to tap that side first. Since we put the mini one in there the threads may be messed up. Good time to move up to 80's.

I do know where a 40 TRE is, about 350 miles west of here:D

nattybumppo
04-08-2011, 05:21 AM
I think I have a complete functional set that I saved for trail spares when I replaced them. Let me know if you want me to find the one you need.

FJBRADY
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
If you want to swing by my place I think I can fix you up. If you do, stop by Ricardo's first and grab my $200 that Art gave him last night.:D

Randy, what's your availablity this weekend? I need to address my ARB leak and ebrake? And yes I will shake down Ricardo for the cash

I can only find the mini truck tie rod i have. I don't even know why i have it.

:eek::dunno:

Steve, I have several used and I think I may even have a new one... Call me I will PM you my #. If you do not have it,,

Thanks, Brian I will call you later today!

Thanks for the offer UB, I will keep that in mind.

I think you may want to tap that side first. Since we put the mini one in there the threads may be messed up. Good time to move up to 80's.

I do know where a 40 TRE is, about 350 miles west of here:D Yeah if anyone needs a spare FJ40 TRE for CM check the Moab Napa, Keep in mind they close at 4:30 on Fridays :confused:

I don't think we goobered it up, unless you messed with in camp.:drink: JK

Rzeppa
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I also have a full set of used 40 TREs. When I replaced all mine I tossed the used ones into a box and they are part of my standard trail spares I carry with me. They don't take up much space but if you break one on the trail your options are really limited without a spare.

Uncle Ben
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I will tell you for a hard fact that you do not want to use any other TRE other than Toyota. Others may look and even be billed as OE quality but other than wearing them out I have yet to break a Toyota one! On Carnage BV last year I broke what I thought was a Toyota FZJ-80 one but after examining OE vrs what broke I realized the one that broke was aftermarket. Later going through old receipts I found that I had bought the Chromo TR and TRE's as a set from Sky (SORD).

subzali
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
40's 60's and minis are.

Don't mean to argue, but when I search for "FJ80 tie rod tapered reamer" it comes up with the 1:10 or 1.2"/ft reamer as well. So you're saying that the FJ80 taper is 1.5"/ft just like domestic tie rod ends and steering arms? That seems a little strange, why they would change the taper. Just want to clarify.

Air Randy
04-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Randy, what's your availablity this weekend? I need to address my ARB leak and ebrake? And yes I will shake down Ricardo for the cash

:eek::dunno:

Thanks, Brian I will call you later today!

Thanks for the offer UB, I will keep that in mind

Yeah if anyone needs a spare FJ40 TRE for CM check the Moab Napa, Keep in mind they close at 4:30 on Fridays :confused:

I don't think we goobered it up, unless you messed with in camp.:drink: JK

Steve I am around on Sunday but I already grabbed the bux from Ricardo.

Uncle Ben
04-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Don't mean to argue, but when I search for "FJ80 tie rod tapered reamer" it comes up with the 1:10 or 1.2"/ft reamer as well. So you're saying that the FJ80 taper is 1.5"/ft just like domestic tie rod ends and steering arms? That seems a little strange, why they would change the taper. Just want to clarify.

I stand corrected! I just went out and looked at my reamers. I have a 1.20 for the 80 TRE and a 1.5 for GM 1ton TRE's. My bad. Not sure how I got confused but I have no problem is admitting my mistake. :rolleyes: :o

subzali
04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
That's cool UB :D

You've got a pm ;)