PDA

View Full Version : Rec Truck plates

SteveH
04-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Before the 'fee hike' that doubled the cost of license plates, so called 'Rec Truck' plates were a bit cheaper than 'Truck' plates for a pickup. Is this still the case?

My '01 F350 is $150 to register and I'm trying to blunt the pain a bit. I think I pay a premium for the weight capabilities of an F350, but I can't find any decent info online and have given up on calling the DMV.

Thanks - Steve

MDH33
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I am curious to know as well. I have to register my '80 pickup and since it no longer qualifies for collector plates, I was considering the rec truck plates, but wasn't sure if they are still available. I'll ask when I go in to the dmv office. I need to get a temp tag this week to get it down the hill for emissions fun.

Air Randy
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I am curious to know as well. I have to register my '80 pickup and since it no longer qualifies for collector plates, I was considering the rec truck plates, but wasn't sure if they are still available. I'll ask when I go in to the dmv office. I need to get a temp tag this week to get it down the hill for emissions fun.

It took like 12.3 seconds to search DMV to find

"Pickup and Truck Plates: are issued depending upon the weight and use of the vehicle. Trucks weighing between 4500 and 6500 pounds must be weighed before the plates are purchased, unless a Colorado title has been issued. If a truck is used exclusively on FARM business, a farm plate is issued. Recreational vehicles that weigh less than 6500 pounds may be issued recreational plates, but the cost is the same as the state truck plate."

Uncle Ben
04-11-2011, 01:39 PM

:D Where is that search button? :confused: :p:

MDH33
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM

"Pickup and Truck Plates: are issued depending upon the weight and use of the vehicle. Trucks weighing between 4500 and 6500 pounds must be weighed before the plates are purchased, unless a Colorado title has been issued. If a truck is used exclusively on FARM business, a farm plate is issued. Recreational vehicles that weigh less than 6500 pounds may be issued recreational plates, but the cost is the same as the state truck plate."

:D Where is that search button? :confused: :p:

The beauty is that I never have to search. You and Uncle Ben do it for me. :hill:

SteveH
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks Randy - I went back and did several more searches and was not able to find what you found.

The only other tidbit I found on rec truck plates where I searched was this:
Available For: Trucks that do not have an empty weight of over 16,000 pounds.

So, my truck would qualify, but it wouldn't save me any $$.

DaveInDenver
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
So, my truck would qualify, but it wouldn't save me any $$.
I thought these plates existed primarily for trucks like yours, heavy duty pickups that are not used for commercial work.

RedCreeper
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I spoke with someone in the greely office for the heap. she told me is was like 10.00 cheaper for the rec tags.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Has anyone heard if they will ease up on the collector plates ever? Or is that a thing of the past now. :mad:

Rock Dog
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
._.);180558']Has anyone heard if they will ease up on the collector plates ever? Or is that a thing of the past now. :mad:

they would not budge for my 4 runner, even though i only missed it by 1 month..... sounds like they are sticking to the 74 or older for collectors plates... what a shame:(:(

Inukshuk
04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
:dunno: Why don't we buy a farm?

Air Randy
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
It used to be that if you had non-recreational plates, it meant the truck was being used commercially. You had to pay GTM taxes and your insurance was a whole lot higher. Somewhere along the line, all of that other stuff stopped happening but they never consolidated into 1 plate type.

SteveH - How are you searching? I typed into Google "Colorado recreational truck plates" which then brings up about 100 hundred links to the DMV website, which takes you directly to the information I pasted up before.

SteveH
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Randy - I put 'Colorado dmv' in Yahoo, which took me to:

http://www.colorado.gov/revenue/dmv

At that point, I put 'rec truck plates' in the search window and got 6 hits - all of which led me to special plate pages for plates like: '1st Anniversary of Ritter's Tax Hike' and other nonsense.

There was some weak info on rec truck plates but not the good info you found.

Thanks again for all the info!

Steve

PhatFJ
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I registered my 1975 FJ40 as a collector last year. No emissions, paid for the 5 year plates and walked out the door... Registered my 70 the same way..

baileyfj40
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
My .02 worth;

I've had rec truck plates on my 99 f350 since new and it was cheaper but it was small amount, I did put rec plates on my 03 f350 the second year we had and it was cheaper but not by much. Would put them on another truck if or when I but it. The resirctions I remember are no busniess use and no parking in loading zones.

Collector plates probably will never change, we all can thank the boneheads in the 81 surburan smoking like a chimmniy for that change. Vehicles have to be pre-75 to get collector plates.

SteveH
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I just returned from the DMV. My 6500# F350 with Truck plates was $149. Switching to Rec Truck plates dropped it to $118, including a new plate fee of $3.78. I saved $31.11 by switching to rec truck. The counter lady said that the weight breakpoint is 4500 lbs., above which the 'rec truck' plates cost less. My F350 has plenty of road-mugging weight, so it easily qualified for savings.

She said that they don't put all this on the website because it would cause confusion and upset people who go into the DMV expecting a certain price and not necessarily getting it.

YMMV - but it was well worth the switch for me.

Jacket
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
:dunno: Why don't we buy a farm?

In Nicaragua. Then drive home some Cruisers.