PDA

View Full Version : new tire suggestions? 100 series

nakman
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I've decided 285 75 R16 is my next tire size. I've also got a buyer for my existing tires & 18" rims, so... now I just have to decide which ones to get.

My two leading candidates are:

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&Cookie=froogle&details=Ordern&typ=R-168791&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1
http://ssl.delti.com/tyre-pictures/Goodyear/WranglerDuraTrac.jpg

and

Dick Cepek FC-II
http://www.performanceplustire.com/products/tires/searchType/searchByVehicle/productID/2547/tireDataID/1928?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=feed
http://www.performanceplustire.com/imagesProducts4/1108.jpg

I'm open to other ideas though, but would like to try something relatively new.. in addition to kid haulin', grocery gettin', and I-70 action, I plan on running trails as difficult as Spring Creek, Jenny Creek, and most of the stuff in Moab. any suggestions? :beer:

MDH33
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Swamper TSL's. Perfect for a grocery getter. :hill:

nakman
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Super Swamper TSL's. Perfect for a grocery getter. :hill:

You know that's funny, I was actually looking at those last night for the 40 crawler.. http://www.rccrawler.com/news/proline-interco-tsl-sx-super-swamper-tires/#more-364

Uncle Ben
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
This would be the perfect tire for a 100....

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/products/interco_tsl_thornbird_600.jpg

coax
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Have any tire life/mileage reports started trickling in for the duratrac? Just curious as folks have reported good snow performance, so wondering if the rubber compound is pretty soft? No idea if its similar compound to the silentarmors but those wore down really quickly on the parents tundra.

Looking at discount tire going duratracs over the terragrapplers would cost an extra 240 bucks. Just a thought.

farnhamstj
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Cepek looks better on ice to my eyes. I vote get those. Why not 295.75r16? While there are not as many options BFG AT and Nitto TG are available. Fit in the 100's with little/ no rubbing issues. That size will also fit in factory spare location. Have you done the spare tire mod?

Inukshuk
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
After all my looking I settled on the Nitto TG for the best combo of price and performance. We did not get super technical on the CM prerun but they so far I'm happy.

Prior to these I also was always happy with the BFG AT's.

So, I have to say that I have always been happy wheeling AT's.

At that size, which I have, I go 15-17 lbs aired down.

nakman
04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Uncle Ben can I borrow your backup set of Thornbirds until my next paycheck? I know you hoard those.. and the good ones too, with the old tread pattern.

Corey not sure on mileage on the Dura Tracs, they're still relatively new.. from what I've heard 30-40k is about expected. But yes I hear ice performance is sweet, which usually = soft and not lasting, which isn't always a bad thing. The few sets I've seen in parking lots I always double take on.. :cool:

Farnham I ran 295's on my 80 with stock gears and didn't like it. Downhill was like Mach 10 in 2nd gear, I was always running up on the truck ahead of me. And off the line was slower than 285's, and I'm not sure I'd notice the extra .150" of height. Now if I were to regear it would be another story, but that ain't happening this year.

And I've looked at the NTG's as well, yes they are proven but you guys both have them, I need something different don't I? if only they would bring out the Trail Grappler in the 285 75 16 size, I'd go for those for sure. they make them for the 18" rim but I want to go back to 16's for the increased sidewalls, more tire availability, stockness, and swapability between the 80. Here are the trails:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=469366&stc=1&d=1290378492

edit: what about the Hankook Dynapro MT. It just won 4Wheeler's 10 Tire Shootout.. http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/index.html

http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/hanvm1.ang.jpg

Inukshuk
04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
but you guys both have them, I need something different don't I?

Oh, its different that you want.....

FJBRADY
04-12-2011, 06:52 AM
This would be the perfect tire for a 100....

Those are definitely my next set for the Tundra. Those are tight, brings me back to my days in muggy, mosquito infested, swamp stink central FLOrida.

Thanks for the memories, Bro!

Nay
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Lots of comments on MUD that the Duratrac's have very thin sidewalls. No idea if/how that translates into any trail weaknesses.

I would really bias to road use for the hundy - of course it is going to tempt you to wheel harder, but you have rigs for that and if the hundy is going to move up the ladder you are probably talking gears and 35's anyway.

I'd probably get Terragrapplers for a 285. Boring? Yes. But probably with no downsides, too.

Corbet
04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
As an owner of Duratracs I would not recommend them for wheeling based on how thin the sidewalls are. They are great on the road and in the snow. And that is all I own mine for. One of my local tire shops will not sell them anymore for the oil & gas trucks due to repeated failures.

I really think its hard to beat the Nitto TG's based on value.

My neighbor has the DC FCII's and likes them. Another good choice there. The summit county crowd gave good reports in the snow. It was also editors choice in a tire review in Overland Journal.

Really liking my General Grabbers.:D But I bet they suck in the snow/ice. I'll never know.

Jacket
04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I say go with the Dick's. Better price, decent reviews, and different - which was one of your criteria.

And think about it - before every Rising Sun meeting we can gather in the parking lot and "kick the dicks." Hardy har har....

nakman
04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Ok Duratracs are out then, thanks guys. So leaning towards the Dick's.. Nay you're probably right when/if we do gears it's 35's too, so these are likely just a bridge for the next 1-2 years.

any comments on the Dynapro's?

coax
04-12-2011, 06:47 PM

No firsthand experience, but got a buddy who runs them on his 62, in a 35". For a mild mud terrain they work pretty well, and are wearing really well. IIRC last time I was in Junction he said about 20k on the tires and still had more than 1/2 tread left. They pack up with mud but but a quick goose of the stupid pedal clears them out well. Not sure about snow performance. When he got them a few years back they were the hot ticket as the price vs. performance was outstanding. I think they've gotten a fair bit more expensive in the last few years. Had they been similarly priced to the TG's I would have gone the hankook route and gotten a slightly more aggressive tread without going full-blown MT.

Nay
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
One thing to consider about the DC's is that if you will wheel them far from home (such as Moab) you aren't likely to get a replacement easily if you blow one. That's probably the biggest advantage of sticking with a major brand.

Now I don't adhere to that advice myself, but it is food for thought where being different just to be different may have some downsides.

Corbet
04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
One thing to consider about the DC's is that if you will wheel them far from home (such as Moab) you aren't likely to get a replacement easily if you blow one. That's probably the biggest advantage of sticking with a major brand.

Not that big of deal if you buy 5 to start with. Most likely you'll be able to finish off your trip with the spare. Replace it when you get home.

Nay
04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Not that big of deal if you buy 5 to start with. Most likely you'll be able to finish off your trip with the spare. Replace it when you get home.

No, it's not a huge deal, and tire failures are less and less common these days. But...if you blow one early on it's worth considering if all else is equal.

For example, try finding a 37x12.5x16 trxus just about anywhere :hill:

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
04-21-2011, 03:13 PM

I'm having the same search you are right now. Since the 100 is DD I'm not sure I would like the M/Ts on there. I do like the Hankooks though. I read a ton of good reviews on them so I put a set of their road tires on my wife's van. They are really nice.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/lsnappcook/sleeBumper.jpg

Have you looked at the "HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM"? You can get a set of 4 at Pepboys mounted and balanced with road hazard and prorated replacement for $715 after rebate.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/lsnappcook/HANKOOKDYNAPROATM.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Why not another set of Maxxis Big Horns?

theRash
04-22-2011, 09:44 AM
._.);181504']I'm having the same search you are right now. Since the 100 is DD I'm not sure I would like the M/Ts on there. I do like the Hankooks though. I read a ton of good reviews on them so I put a set of their road tires on my wife's van. They are really nice.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/lsnappcook/sleeBumper.jpg

Have you looked at the "HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM"? You can get a set of 4 at Pepboys mounted and balanced with road hazard and prorated replacement for $715 after rebate.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/lsnappcook/HANKOOKDYNAPROATM.jpg

I bought the Hankook Dynapros for my 100 series last July. They work great for on road and snow performance. I don't wheel my 100 so I can't say to their off road capability.

nakman
04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Why not another set of Maxxis Big Horns?

Too loud. was ok for a big pickemup truck, but we need a little more elegance with the 100 series... :D

simps80
04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
One thing i'll say about the duratrac's ... they are real quiet in my opinion.

Bighead
04-25-2011, 08:36 AM
What are the thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer STTs?

corsair23
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
What are the thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer STTs?

Romer and Mike W. have them...One thing I noticed at the last meeting I think it was is that Romer's tires seem to have a lot of chunks missing compared to the Toyos :dunno:

nakman
04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
SST's are a solid choice.. on par with the Toyo for off road performance, at least from what I've seen. Also louder than what I want on the 100... I went for the Dick Cepek's, they're shipping up from Texas so won't be in until Thursday or Friday, I'll toss up a pick when I get them!

nakman
08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Ah shoot, looks like I forgot the picture of the Dick Cepeks. Well I ran Dick Cepek FCII's for about 4 months. Had them removed today. Here's the story..

The Dick Cepek's had a little vibration since day 1- was tolerable at first install, drove a couple thousand miles on them. But still bugged me, so a couple weeks ago I took the 100 in to have them rotated/rebalanced. It got worse. So I went back and had them try again.. same deal, still worse. Now the shaking is pretty bad at 40mph.. to the point where I don't want to drive the truck.

Last weekend I figure ok maybe it's not just the tires, could be something else? So I borrow a set of LX470 rims & bald tires (but well balanced bald tires) from my friend Texas Chris. Had to get a new floor jack as my old one leaks now. Then I end up breaking 4 studs removing the Dick Cepeks (see broke wheel stud thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14123) so this project turns into 20 new wheel studs, 20 new lug nuts, oh while you got it apart new front brakes, pads, bearing repack... oh btw one of the bearings is bad so new bearing on the PS, bleed the brakes.. damn, this tire swap is creeping up on 4 digits... I was fortunate :robbie: was available and willing to help last week though, otherwise I'd still be working on it and would have another set of variables in the mix here, should something else on the truck come into question.

So button it all up, put the slicks on, everything is great. Get it up to speed and it's rock solid, smooth, wow even stops a little better. So my old tires on my 100 rims ran great, so those rims are good.. these slicks on LX470 rims run great, so the truck is good.. let's put the Dicks back on. death wobble at 40mph.. :rant:

Back to Discount, on Saturday, they say it's futile to try to balance those again, they road force balanced them last time, they're big heavy tires, took 14oz to get them within spec., that's as good as they'll get. Well it's not good enough, what are my other options? They'll call Dick Cepek on Monday to see if they'll return them. So I get a call this morning, Dick Cepek's willing to take them back, would even give me another set, but they haven't had any other complaints so no confidence I'll notice any improvement. Well how about another set of tires then? Sure, anything you want.

Ok do you have any 285 Duratracs in stock? Yup, come on down... after an argument about torque spec (they're not allowed to send you off "under-torqued," it's 100 pounds or nothing now) I toss them my keys and cross my fingers.

nakman
08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
First impressions of the Duratracs compared to the Dick Cepeks is they're a night and day difference. Much smoother, even at parking lot speeds. Considerably quieter.. like quieter than BFG AT's quiet, I can't really explain that one but it's true. And smooth as glass.. wow I can't believe how bad those Dick Cepeks really were.. I'm loving the 100 again.

Tread depth of the Goodyear's is about half of the Dick Cepeks.. so the tire is noticeably smaller. But that probably means I've got more torque off the line now. Spacing between the lugs is bigger on the Goodyears, it was pretty tight on the Dicks, and I ended up picking up a lot of pea gravel from the side of my driveway. Some of that could have contributed to the wobble, though I picked every single pebble out of them prior to my extensive experimentation.

I've got a 285 spare now (thanks again, Corsair!) and all new wheel studs, so less of a worry about blowing a sidewall than before, I'm going to pick up one of those repair kits too just for piece of mind. Plus my certs transferred at Discount. Anyway so I'm running Duratracs now, so far so good.

edit: forgot to mention the tire install guy said the Goodyears took about half the weight of what they took off of there for the Dick Cepeks. Hard to believe I had almost a pound of extra weight trying to balance a tire.. that mold must have an off-center core or something. funny I'm the only guy to notice though..

corsair23
08-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Great to hear Tim! Great report and insight. I'll be interested in your long term feelings on the Duratracs as I'm sure I'll be looking for some good all around tires for one vehicle or another in the future. Glad the spare will work for you too :thumb:

Oh, and I think I have two tire repair kits. I bought one and then won one in a raffle or something. If you are interested I can look at them to see what they are and make you a deal on one of them :thumb:

simps80
08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
them duratracs i'm tellin ya quiet!! grippy
we'll see about lifespan but glad I went against the grain on these.

wesintl
08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
I can't believe you went with the cepek's.. lol.. My .02 would be Duratrac's all the way.

nakman
08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
I can't believe you went with the cepek's.. lol.. My .02 would be Duratrac's all the way.

could have said that in April. :rolleyes:

coax
08-15-2011, 05:56 PM
after an argument about torque spec (they're not allowed to send you off "under-torqued," it's 100 pounds or nothing now) I toss them my keys and cross my fingers.

I've moved to the "remove-my-wheels-myself-and-transport-them-to-discount-tire-in-a-much-too-small-car" method of dealing with exactly this reason. I suspect they err on the side of too much torque when installing customer tires.

Sounds like the duratrac's are a definite improvement. :) If it wasn't for the bad experience I've had with two different GY tires (eagles and silentarmors) I might have gone with those instead of the TG's.

Corbet
08-16-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm surprised you had the issues with the DCFCII's. My neighbor has them on his FJ80 and loves them. Spoke with many running them on HD pickups in Summit and all like them? Bad batch? Anyway nice to see they took care of you with a different set.

nakman
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Well here we go again. Looks like exactly 2 years later and I ripped a sidewall last Thursday, coming down the shelf road section of Last Dollar in Telluride. Corsair's old Toyo was ready to go, and happily ran Imogene Pass & Hancock pass on an extended trip home, along with a lot of highway time mostly 50 and 285. It's loud, but holding air. It hummed over 270 this morning on the way to work.

I bought the replacement certs. Discount is giving me a new tire for the one that's ripped. They're also giving me a new tire as a pro-rating on the other three... I'm at 11/32 now, they were 17/32 new, so only 3/16 in 25,000 miles? Man that's pretty good.. however in the last 6 months I've noticed the Duratracs have gotten louder, and the lugs on the sides are chunking now. I looked at 60wag's this weekend and his are a lot closer to new, and was reminisce of those tires when the lugs were clean and straight.

I toyed with the idea of trying something else today, but ultimately decided to just get more Duratracs. My out the door price on 4 will be around $600... only downside is I can't keep an old one for a spare, need to give them back to Goodyear to get the mileage credit. But maybe those sidewalls are weaker now somehow... back up goes Jeff's Toyo for more spare duty, and my new "Fierce" tire that I picked up in Telluride gets demoted to spare #2. :)

Here are the pics of the ripped sidewall.

nakman
07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Oh, and I was at 24 psi. when the sidewall ripped. It was the second time down that hill that day, the first time was at 43psi. And yes, Last Dollar is a very easy trail... I found the only sharp rock on the whole run and promptly tossed that about 100' below the road out of harm's way.

corsair23
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
You and the rocks...What is it with you and rocks on fairly easy trails? :hill:

Glad to hear the spare Toyo didn't let you down in your time of need :thumb: - Nemo borrowed my set of Toyo e-test tires (the spare's 4 siblings) some time back...I didn't pay to have them balanced, just mounted, when I pulled them. Amazingly enough he said they drove great with no wobble at all, even at high speeds :) - They are heavy and they are loud but I love 'em. :D

OilHammer
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm up against that same decision again. My front two tires on the 100 have significant wear and I know I can't stretch them to winter. My Ouray trip is coming up next month, though I won't be doing anything serious, and I may get new boots before then. Not sure what to go with....wife didn't like the look of the Duratracs on the 80, though I was impressed with their performance for the short time I had them. Since I'm on 18's now, I think my options are fewer and more costly. The primary driver has requested that I not lift the truck or put huge tires on, but easy trips like Webster and Black Bear are likely uses...as well as snow trips up to the ski areas.

Corbet
07-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Look into the Nitto TG. Lots of sizes in 18's. I had a great experience with mine and would buy them again for a 4 season mild wheeling tire.

Squishy!
07-14-2013, 08:58 AM
I'll second the Nitto TG. I had them on my 4runner and absolutely loved them. Quiet, great in the snow and were very grippy on Cliffhanger. Any tire I buy 33" or less will be a TerraGrappler. Bigger and I'll go BFG KM2.

Inukshuk
07-14-2013, 11:28 PM
I sold my TG's. They seemed to do everything just fine - even though I blew out a sidewall on Chicken Corners at CM 2012 (talk about easy trails) but I never loved them.

I love my Duratracs, from looks to performance. I do worry about sidewalls, not because I think they are weak, but because the design of the tire has a narrower square-edged tread so when aired down they hang over more. On road handling of my 80 is better than ever with the Duratracs. Better than the BFG AT's or TG's.

Rzeppa
07-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I sold my TG's. They seemed to do everything just fine - even though I blew out a sidewall on Chicken Corners at CM 2012 (talk about easy trails) but I never loved them.

I love my Duratracs, from looks to performance. I do worry about sidewalls, not because I think they are weak, but because the design of the tire has a narrower square-edged tread so when aired down they hang over more. On road handling of my 80 is better than ever with the Duratracs. Better than the BFG AT's or TG's.

X2 on Duratracks - way better than any other tire I have ever had. I'm running the 285/75-16s on my 60.

FJBRADY
07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Sidewall is important so I thought....I just ripped a sidewall on my Radial TSL Super Swampers on Argentine.:rant:.....would have been sexier on a tough trail.:rolleyes:

Anyone know of a tire shop that will do an interior patch on a tire?

Uncle Ben
07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Sidewall is important so I thought....I just ripped a sidewall on my Radial TSL Super Swampers on Argentine.:rant:.....would have been sexier on a tough trail.:rolleyes:

Anyone know of a tire shop that will do an interior patch on a tire?

DSL might as they do truck tires.

nakman
07-16-2013, 04:37 PM
For the record, I'm going to air down less from now on. 25 in front, 30 in back... on highway I'm more like 45/45. I'm fairly convinced that the DT's get too bulgy when you bring them down closer to 20, particularly in a heavy and loaded wagon.

And ride quality is still ok even at 25 in front, which could be the sole benefit of IFS..

Rzeppa
07-16-2013, 06:21 PM
For the record, I'm going to air down less from now on. 25 in front, 30 in back... on highway I'm more like 45/45. I'm fairly convinced that the DT's get too bulgy when you bring them down closer to 20, particularly in a heavy and loaded wagon.

And ride quality is still ok even at 25 in front, which could be the sole benefit of IFS..

I kind of did that when I first got mine, but now I have more confidence in the sidewalls, and go 35/35 on road and 20/20 off road. When I was running 45 on road it was kind of harsh. I think these tires are designed to have more sidewall bulge than we are used to seeing in other models of tires. In fact, I used to ding up my rims a lot more with my BFGs than I have with the Duratracs.

wesintl
07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
I thought the tgs were ok, better that the bfgs. I'll probably to with duratrac in 100. You guys run some high pressure. I would think 32-35 road and 18-20 off is good

Inukshuk
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
around 42 road. 18-25 offroad depending if dirt or slickrock. I have gone as high as 50 trying it out and no problem highway, rough in town.

wesintl
07-16-2013, 09:45 PM
45 is probably way on high side. Is that hot or cold? You know the tire heats up and will raise the pressure? so when you are at 45 and it heats up it could be as high as 55 or more possibly exceeding the air pressure requirements. you should do air pressure by hot and cold and no than 10% difference and load for HWY driving. Too high a pressure and you hit something the tire can burst.

Beater probably has a lot of good info for thread.

Corbet
07-17-2013, 06:50 AM
One of my local GoodYear dealers down here quit selling DT's to the oil/gas guys as they had way too many sidewall problems. I love mine in the winter, the way they look, ride quality etc... But the sidewalls are paper thin compared to anything else I've ever owned. I would assume they have more kevlar or something to get the "E" rating? I've never punctured a sidewall on any tire yet but I do have a couple cuts in my DT's sidewalls from somewhere? And I never wheel them? Where as I abuse my Generals and they show less sidewall wear. I air down to 12-18psi depending on the trail.

But in reality if you find a sharp rock it will probably cut any tire. And most of our trucks see far more pavement than trail. So it can be hard to run a aggressive heavy tire on a DD. I wish I had a 3rd set of wheels for a set of trail tires and could run a mild AT for DD duties. My Generals will be done by the end of this summer. I'm going with Toyo MT's next in all likely hood. That is the preferred tire down here for the oil rigs.

nakman
07-17-2013, 08:39 AM
I kind of did that when I first got mine, but now I have more confidence in the sidewalls...

And I seem to have swung the other way now, with much less confidence now that I've torn one. :(

farnhamstj
07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
33psi pavement, 16psi off-pavement. 295.75.r16 BFG AT's

coax
07-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Slightly off topic, but regarding the tire pressure, I believe for an 80:

Originally:
P275/70/16 at 32psi
Load index 114, 2480lbs

De-rated for installation on a light truck/suv = capacity of ~2254lbs.

For an LT285/75/16, at 40psi, is rated to 2340lbs. So, a hair under 40psi is a good starting point to then adjust based on personal preference, load, tire model, etc. If an empty vehicle, a bit lower, if a full vehicle, a bit higher. I typically run mine on the road at 42 PSI with the bumpers, skid plate, winch, RTT, etc.

http://toyotires.com/tires-101/load-and-inflation-tables

NoVaGator
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm getting a set of Duratracs put on the 100 tomorrow... I'll let you know what I think.

They're replacing a well-worn set of Nitto TGs

NoVaGator
07-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Ok DTs are on.

First impression: brand new DTs are much quieter than mostly worn Nitto TGs.

That was surprising.

Rzeppa
07-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Ok DTs are on.

First impression: brand new DTs are much quieter than mostly worn Nitto TGs.

That was surprising.

They are amazingly quiet for how aggressive the tread is.

NoVaGator
07-20-2013, 09:05 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/B99B262B-CF06-4D99-A0AB-17A1005017F0-591-000000FBC16EF82C_zps9c0e2a23.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Gatordonald/58c7b8ddf54ce3a67bd8b3dad73a8b1c_zps4de66d9c.jpg