PDA

View Full Version : Less than a month away!

MDH33
04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
What wrenching/preparation do you have left?

I still need to:

1. Find a rear seat and install in my 40 to strap the little one in.

2. Do fluids and filters.

3. Install new Ham and antenna.

4. Find and pack spares, tools, camping gear.

:beer:

Red_Chili
04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
1. Inventory and organize spares, tools, miscellaneous STARTED.
2. Fix air leak in plumbing. Should take ten minutes (famous last words ) CHECK. It actually was very simple.
3. Toy with idea of throwing a blower in the Chili. With 3 weeks to sort it. Really dumb. CHECK... Complete! Test run advised...

:lmao:

4. Sort the Ready-Welder for WF arc. I seem to be a popular resource at CM and shouldn't have to rely on Marco to fix Perry 'Iron Man' Loughridge. :lmao: :lmao:

<Added>
5. Build spare diff.
6. Re-shim the rear axle. It's been wrong for years but now I'm a bit concerned with extra power the stress may stress something else! Besides, no reason the Chili shouldn't be like buttah under acceleration.
Anybody have 2* steel shims, before I go ordering some from Roger Brown? Ordered from Roger. Received and installed, much better! DONE

xodeuce
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
1) Oil change
2) Carrier bearing spacer (maybe... I'm pretty happy with just the axle shims. either way, takes 10 min tops)
3) Finish painting skids
4) Install skids
5) Put together tools and fluids and everything
6) Pack
7) Attempt to sleep the night before we roll out :D

RockRunner
04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Change rear axle seal
Change rear third member seal
Change transfer case output seal
Install new tiers on bead locks
Fix/RR front locker motor
Install Hydro assist steering or at least new box
c
Clean it up and get the parts and tools together
t
That's about it.
:rolleyes:

Red_Chili
04-13-2011, 08:58 AM
5. Install Hydro assist steering or at least new box
:rolleyes:
Serious?

Well... good thing I am going to sort out the Ready-Welder. 146.460 baby. :D

Says the guy putting a supercharger on right before the trip...

MDH33
04-13-2011, 09:23 AM

That's going to be :grinpimp::headbang::smokin: when it's done. ~jealous~ :thumb:

farnhamstj
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
1. replace latch on swing out- done
2. change oil- done
3. repair/replace ARB compressor- done
4. replace diff fluids.
5. swap roof rack
6. touch up paint sliders
7. finish rear drawer
8. Go to Disney World

nattybumppo
04-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Let's see...
Install Aussie locker in rear and replace the bearings- DONE, bearings were OK
Install minitruck power steering - ARGH
Flush brake fluids and check front pads/rotors - DONE
Install radio and console
Rebuild center arm and drag link - DONE
Change engine oil and diffs
Fix wobbly turn signals
Fix left rear brake lamp short

Rzeppa
04-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I have 11 years worth of experience in screwing something up performing pre-Cruise Moab maintenance, repairs and mods. So this year I have decided all I am going to do is fill up the gas tank.

:cheers:

nuclearlemon
04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
not actually registered or running trails with the group, i'll be on my own game, so does that mean that i don't have to go thru the cruise moab panic plan, or can this just be like any other wheeling weekend ;)

seriously thinking of picking up my "daily driver" 315s and regearing the diffs before then.......

Convert
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Need to do..........
I guess I should clean it up from the Maze trip in in November :D
and check the fluids

RockRunner
04-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Serious?

Well... good thing I am going to sort out the Ready-Welder. 146.460 baby. :D

I'm not doing any welding :rolleyes: If Jeremy still has time he is the one that will be laying down some beautiful beads:D The ram will break before his welds:eek:

DanS
04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
What wrenching/preparation do you have left?

Put the whole thing back together, is what.

Pretty much as it sits now....

The good news is that I've been through every part of it before we took it apart for paint. If the body would have come back from paint today or yesterday, it would have been easy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. It'll go back together wicked fast once the tub comes back.

And then, if the 40 isn't back together, we'll take something else (probably the faux-lux).

Dan

nuclearlemon
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Pretty much as it sits now....

The good news is that I've been through every part of it before we took it apart for paint. If the body would have come back from paint today or yesterday, it would have been easy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. It'll go back together wicked fast once the tub comes back.

And then, if the 40 isn't back together, we'll take something else (probably the faux-lux).

Dan

we have a winner

leiniesred
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I need a driver's side mirror for my power mirrors.

I'd like to re-seal the rear diff and replace the studs with bolts.

I'd like to weld on some blinker brackets on the front bumper.

I'd like to black out the hood. The paint is wasted anyway.

I think the cruise moab committee stuff will trump all truck work except the mirror glass. I'll probably just do a nut 'n' bolt check and other pre-flight check stuff, load up the universal camping tub and a bucket of spare parts and go.

rhyary
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Starter - Done.
VHF - Done
HF - Done
Change wheels/tires Duratracks to MTR/Kevlar - Next weekend.
Maybe oil change.

Otherwise I am not touching anything.
It works pefrectly now.

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd like to re-seal the rear diff and replace the studs with bolts.

Howzcum? Never heard of that one.

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
we have a winner
No kidding. I feel like my project is a walk through the park now.

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
<Added>
5. Build spare diff.
6. Re-shim the rear axle. It's been wrong for years but now I'm a bit concerned with extra power the stress may stress something else! Besides, no reason the Chili shouldn't be like buttah under acceleration.
Anybody have 2* steel shims, before I go ordering some from Roger Brown?
Repost just to be seen.

FJBRADY
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Some stuff to the truck and a hair cut.

Air Randy
04-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Some stuff to the truck and a hair cut.

Justin called today, looks like he has your new tie rod & heims ready to go when he gets back from GJ on Monday.

MDH33
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
...and a hair cut.

Yeah but that's not specific pre-cruise moab pruning, dude. You must shave that noggin daily for a shine like that. :D

rover67
04-15-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't think that there will ever be a moab that I don't have something to do. It's too much fun and you get to know the rig at the same time.

:)

FJBRADY
04-16-2011, 01:41 PM
ARB leak.....fixed. Peak fun eminent!
new radio.....installed.

To do:
new drag links ect., pending delivery
ebrake tweak forthcoming.

Feeling good it's all coming together. :drumsticks:

JadeRunner
04-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Good deal Brady. I'm counting on you to be Mr. Dependable for our Spike run.

Robbie fixed my leaky axle seal last week, so I can't think of anything else to do but pack and fill up.

FJBRADY
04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Good deal Brady. I'm counting on you to be Mr. Dependable for our Spike run.

Robbie fixed my leaky axle seal last week, so I can't think of anything else to do but pack and fill up.

You got it BroCephous:thumb:

MDH33
04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
My updated to do list:

1. Find a rear seat and install in my 40 to strap the little one in.

2. Find and pack spares, tools, camping gear.

Do fluids and filters. (DONE)

Install new Ham and antenna. (DONE)

DanS
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Big step towards getting it done....

Think I can be driving around the neighborhood by Thursday night? I'm going to try. The big holdup will be the turbo--if it's back from rebuild by then. That's the plan, at least...

Dan

MDH33
04-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Dan

Looks really nice. Where did you get the paint done?

wesintl
04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
do work son!

Romer
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM

Think I can be driving around the neighborhood by Thursday night? I'm going to try. The big holdup will be the turbo--if it's back from rebuild by then. That's the plan, at least...

Dan

I love that color:thumb:

Hulk
04-18-2011, 11:06 PM

Dan

That would be months of work for someone like me. You have serious skills!

I love that color:thumb:

X2. That late model 40 blue (also available on FJ60/62s) is maybe my all time favorite Cruiser color.

DanS
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
do work son!

Working on it.... (literally, I'm technically on an overnight in Albuquerque right now, getting perdiem to work on Dad's cruiser ;))

Here's how it sits as I go to bed...

We had it painted at a bodyshop in Albuquerque (R&C). I was going to paint it myself, but every time I'd come down to NM it would be too cold, too humid, or something. So Dad decided to just have it painted. I'm not ashamed to say that I couldn't get it looking quite that good myself.

Dan

FJBRADY
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
That looks great. I look forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks, nice work!

Update on my progress:

:) I got a hair cut.

rover67
04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm getting a hair cut today!

Dan, the rig is looking super bad! Keep the coals to it and finish her up!!!!!!

Good work!

leiniesred
04-19-2011, 09:39 AM
i gotta get a haircut.

Jacket
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
My list was long at the beginning of the year, but after installing a CB and finishing my inverter wiring on Friday I'm good to go with the 80. I'll be bringing my PS leak out to Utah with me.

And I'll be self-administering my Moab haircut on 4/29, but I haven't decided on what # guard yet.....

rover67
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
my List Was Long At The Beginning Of The Year, But After Installing A Cb And Finishing My Inverter Wiring On Friday I'm Good To Go With The 80. I'll Be Bringing My Ps Leak Out To Utah With Me.

And I'll Be Self-administering My Moab Haircut On 4/29, But I Haven't Decided On What # Guard Yet.....

#3!

rover67
04-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Nowhere near what Dan's up to, but....

My Truck Pees now..

And it's really warm.

nakman
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Nice! And just the right height for Gavin.. :)

xodeuce
04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Nowhere near what Dan's up to, but....

My Truck Pees now..

And it's really warm.

You should put a nitrous tank and purge valve so that it farts too :lmao:

On a more serious and less juvenile note... where's the tank?

MDH33
04-24-2011, 03:35 PM
My updated to do list:

Pack gear and buy food & beer! :thumb:

-----

(DONE) Front axle service

(DONE) Find a rear seat and install in my 40 to strap the little one in.

(DONE) Fluids and filters.

(DONE) Install new Ham and antenna.

FJBRADY
04-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Update:

New drag link and tie rod installed.

To do:

ebrake adjust, check for loose bolts, clean the interior a bit and gas it up.

:), Me:Princess:,Michele
:flop::Princess:, Sharon (Tom's bride)

That's how we are rolling into Moab.....

rover67
04-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Update:
Hair cut.

To do:
Pack

xodeuce
04-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Skids painted.
Oil Changed.
Skids Installed.
Fluids and tools organized.
Hair cut.

Time to do some laundry and get everything packed and ready to go :)

Rzeppa
04-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Hair cuts seem to be popular - is that to keep from flopping by being less top-heavy?

FJBRADY
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Hair cuts seem to be popular - is that to keep from flopping by being less top-heavy?

Exactly, for that reason I will get another one before the event next week!

MDH33
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

No one wants to be mistaken for a homeless guy on the trail. ;)

nakman
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Oh, snap!! :lmao::lmao:

rover67
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
mainly just to keep me cleaner... gives the beer, dirt, and grease less to stick to :D

Rzeppa
04-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Man, you guys are a tough house!

:eek:

DanS
04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
No time for a haircut yet....

Just need the CHRA to come back from rebuild, then the rest of this can go back together...
I was waiting for the turbo CHRA to put the front sheetmetal back on, just because it's really, really easy if it's all accessible from the side, but I may just put the sheet metal back on just to get everything else back on...

And with the right fender/apron on I can test the last of the stuff.
So far, so good. Not expecting any problems, as it's been apart and together a few times before it came apart for paint, but still--there's a LOT of plugs and things in even a simple truck like a 40.

Haircut when it drives. That's the deal.

Dan

xodeuce
04-25-2011, 04:14 PM
No time for a haircut yet....

Just need the CHRA to come back from rebuild, then the rest of this can go back together...
I was waiting for the turbo CHRA to put the front sheetmetal back on, just because it's really, really easy if it's all accessible from the side, but I may just put the sheet metal back on just to get everything else back on...

And with the right fender/apron on I can test the last of the stuff.
So far, so good. Not expecting any problems, as it's been apart and together a few times before it came apart for paint, but still--there's a LOT of plugs and things in even a simple truck like a 40.

Haircut when it drives. That's the deal.

Dan

Here's to needing that haircut by the end of the week ;)
:cheers:

MDH33
04-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Man, you guys are a tough house!

Just kidding Jeff. I wish I could grow hair again. Follicularly challanged. :hill: :beer:

rover67
04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Man Dan, that thing is looking good!!!! Keep it up!

nuclearlemon
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
didn't get bumpstops dropped but have pretty much decided to run the 315s. i can always hammer the body out of the way ;).

saturday i will be busy with alarm/camera system for the house, and sunday, hopefully, i will get the caster dealt with. it's going to require a lot of cutting tho:( stupid rust.

vacuum, drink beer, pack a few things, drink beer, wire a few things up, drink beer , charge camera batteries, drink beer, wish i was getting a haircut, drink beer.

done.

RockRunner
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I have to attach the Hydro steering hoses and mount the tires, 96 bolts to go:( Then pull the 40's off and replace with the 39" Krawlers. Put on the camper, pick up the trailer from Randy's place, pack beer, food, clothes and some other crap. Load up the 4Runner with the fridge, parts and tools and that should cover most of it.

Oh still need to shop and wash my clothes before Sunday morning :D

List did get shorter but.............:rolleyes: Still need to work and finish a project that is nearly done:D

RLMS
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Our shop list is tooooooooo long to post:eek: I honestly don't think this box I am typing in is big enough.:rolleyes:

Justin

Rzeppa
04-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Our shop list is tooooooooo long to post:eek: I honestly don't think this box I am typing in is big enough.:rolleyes:

Justin

Hey Justin, do you guys happen to have a pair of pre-made sliders for 60 series lying around?

FJBRADY
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
To do update:

Install steering stabilizer picked up today. Forgo alignment, Bear Frame and Axle either closed up shop or moved their South Broadway local.

:bowdown: Tom for the trailer, alignment can wait. :drumsticks:

Gonna be a tough Mon, Tues, next week after reading all the post of folks leaving Sun/Mon.....that's what I get for finding a job that requires me to work in an office and only two weeks vaca.:drink: miss working from home.........

wesintl
04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
sweet Dan!

I gotta throw all my unorganized chit in the cruiser. fuel up and go. I'm bound to hit the dollar store for something I forgot. Last year it was a bath towel :rolleyes:

RLMS
04-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey Justin, do you guys happen to have a pair of pre-made sliders for 60 series lying around?

Sorry Jeff, I am out of the 60 sliders, until after moab, I'm sure that won't help the situation:(

Justin

DanS
04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
No haircut yet.... turbo is still out...

Tomorrow I plan to put one last coat of clear on the roll cage, finish installing all the electrical stuff (OK, it's almost all in, just needs to be tested), hopefully lift the cage into the truck, and get to installing the soft top....

Of course, everything will stop still if the turbo is done somehow tomorrow...

That said, when you replace 100% of the brake lines, it's amazing how many leaks you have to chase down. Problems solved though, pedal feels great now.

Dan

Rock Dog
04-26-2011, 11:39 PM

Jeff,
you running a 60 this year??

Neil.

Jacket
04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Dan - that's a thing of beauty!

Rzeppa
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Jeff,
you running a 60 this year??

Neil.

Not without sliders! :lmao:

nakman
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Dan - that's a thing of beauty!

agreed, just beautiful... :thumb: :cool:

leiniesred
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
wow Dan. You did all that and I only managed to get a haircut.

Rzeppa
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Gonna be a tough Mon, Tues, next week after reading all the post of folks leaving Sun/Mon

I used to go Sunday-Sunday for a lot of years. What I discovered was that about Sat or so I would start to really get homesick (and miss my own bed and shower!). So in recent years I have pared it back to Tuesday travel there and Sunday travel back. That seems to work well for me. The only thing that used to be really nice about Sunday to Sunday was all the preruns I used to get to do on Monday and Tuesday.

RLMS
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
No haircut yet.... turbo is still out...

Tomorrow I plan to put one last coat of clear on the roll cage, finish installing all the electrical stuff (OK, it's almost all in, just needs to be tested), hopefully lift the cage into the truck, and get to installing the soft top....

Of course, everything will stop still if the turbo is done somehow tomorrow...

That said, when you replace 100% of the brake lines, it's amazing how many leaks you have to chase down. Problems solved though, pedal feels great now.

Dan

Beautiful job! My favorite color for sure!

Red_Chili
04-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Blower running nicely. Truck drives a LOT smoother now that I got the pinion angle correct... and now that I installed a nearly completely rebuilt rear driveshaft... :homer: DOH!
Schmooooooooth.

Bung welded in for WB AFR sensor. For those interested, AA Performance Muffler on S. Broadway ABSOLUTELY ROCKS. 1/3 the cost of Bud's Muffler and very nicely done!! They said Hi, Ige!

Now I just need to get the A pillar housing for the gauges so I can complete the gauge install (they are not fast to ship, they make to order... DOH!). Just an extra margin of comfort really. Sometimes I think my name should be Margin instead of Morgan.

Dave helped me sort my radio. Thanks Dave! I... uh... also discovered a nice feature to my antenna I didn't know I had... uh... :lmao: Still no idea why I cannot hit the GJ CCR. Everything else works and it's set up correctly. Oh well.

Oil changed. Coolant changed. Additional toons downloaded. Gauges, groceries, beer (some for Scotty), and truck organization and inventory and BOOM I'm gone.

nakman
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Bill I think you should change your sig from "abnormally aspirated" to "above-normal aspirations".. can't wait to see that thing pass me on the highway!

Red_Chili
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm just glad it can now pull around the hundred pounds + of 'margin' I carry around with me...
:lmao:
We'll see about passing anyone... it should tow the camper rather nicely now though.
++++++++++++
Oh yeah, got a haircut too... :D

rover67
04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Nice work Bill!

Dan, the rig is looking super sweet!!!!

DaveInDenver
04-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Still no idea why I cannot hit the GJ CCR.
Did we check that the memory location is set for 145.355 MHz? I know we checked the offset and tone. I was thinking that maybe that memory location was somehow corrupt. Maybe add a new location for the GJ repeater. This really stumps me. :-/

Air Randy
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Update:

New drag link and tie rod installed.

To do:

ebrake adjust, check for loose bolts, clean the interior a bit and gas it up.

:), Me:Princess:,Michele
:flop::Princess:, Sharon (Tom's bride)

That's how we are rolling into Moab.....

Be sure to bring your parking chock just in case :thumb:

DanS
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
On the way out the door to fly back to DEN before I have to work tomorrow, but.....
goPGnOp-pjw

And also...

Not that it's anything you haven't seen, but you haven't seen it in the sun yet... :)

Dan

Air Randy
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Nah, it never worked for me :D

nakman
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Did we check that the memory location is set for 145.355 MHz? I know we checked the offset and tone. I was thinking that maybe that memory location was somehow corrupt. Maybe add a new location for the GJ repeater. This really stumps me. :-/

Bill, that's what I'd suggest too.. just start over.

145.355 mhz.
#32 RF Squelch set to OFF
#36 step at +.6
#40 tone F at 123 hz
#40 tone M at ENC

My personal culprit is always #40... seems I need to toggle the ENC, ENC DEC, DEC, etc. options endlessly until I get the repeater tone to talk back. You should be able to hit it from about Rifle if you get it, hope that helps! :beer:

edit: Dan, that 40 is looking pretty.. is that a School bus axle back there? what's that project..

bh4rnnr
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Blower running nicely. Truck drives a LOT smoother now that I got the pinion angle correct... and now that I installed a nearly completely rebuilt rear driveshaft... :homer: DOH!
Schmooooooooth.

Bung welded in for WB AFR sensor. For those interested, AA Performance Muffler on S. Broadway ABSOLUTELY ROCKS. 1/3 the cost of Bud's Muffler and very nicely done!! They said Hi, Ige!

Now I just need to get the A pillar housing for the gauges so I can complete the gauge install (they are not fast to ship, they make to order... DOH!). Just an extra margin of comfort really. Sometimes I think my name should be Margin instead of Morgan.

Dave helped me sort my radio. Thanks Dave! I... uh... also discovered a nice feature to my antenna I didn't know I had... uh... :lmao: Still no idea why I cannot hit the GJ CCR. Everything else works and it's set up correctly. Oh well.

Oil changed. Coolant changed. Additional toons downloaded. Gauges, groceries, beer (some for Scotty), and truck organization and inventory and BOOM I'm gone.

Was pulling out of Burt Toyota last Sat, waiting for an opening to go north bound, A Ferrari 360 Modena passes by, "that's cool" I say. A few seconds later Red Chili comes rolling in, Perry's response: :drool::drool::drool::drool:.

RockRunner
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Still way to much to do................:eek::eek: Guess I'll just do the best I can :(

Rzeppa
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
I might get a hair cut.

Inukshuk
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
I might get a hair cut.

FJBRADY
04-29-2011, 08:42 AM
I might get a hair cut.

X2 :eek:

Air Randy
04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
I might get a hair cut.

Nooooo! :eek: You're our only direct connection to the 60's

Rzeppa
04-29-2011, 02:12 PM
I might get a hair cut.

J/K

:D:lmao::hill:;)

Rzeppa
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Nooooo! :eek: You're our only direct connection to the 60's

That's true, you and Steve wheel 40s, and Daniel wheels an 80. But I just bought a 60!

:p:

rover67
04-29-2011, 02:51 PM
my short hair is my connection to my 60.

Uncle Ben
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I might get a hair cut.

Nooooooooo....please nooooo.....No one would understand the "Homeless Guy" joke then! :lmao::p:

FJBRADY
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Update:

40 is done and fueled.

Tundra, new brakes.

Fresh shave/haircut on Tuesday evening :) and I am complete.

See youse in Moab :drumsticks:

RockRunner
04-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Got my hair cut but still have to build an axle and transfer case.

:rolleyes: Just kidding only need to build my axle ....................:rolleyes: :D

Uncle Ben
04-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Update:

40 is done and fueled.

Tundra, new brakes.

Fresh shave/haircut on Tuesday evening :) and I am complete.

See youse in Moab :drumsticks:

Haircut? Mr. Clean don't need no stinking haircut!

RockRunner
04-30-2011, 11:34 PM
DONE!!!!!!!! Truck is on the trailer, camper on the truck and all hooked up. All I need to do is fill the fridge and and jump in the truck due west :thumb: Can't believe I got it all done :eek:

See ya'll in Moab :thumb:

DanS
05-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Still have long hair (well, for me anyway).

Turbo won't be back in time for CM. :rant:

So I ran to the junkyard and found a Saab 900 with a T3 on it. :thumb:

The engine is ready to start, with ONE exception--the turbo from the junkyard needs a different oil return line, so I'll go see what I can find in town tomorrow morning. If nothing, then I'll see what I can weld up. Roll cage got clear coated for the final time and is in the truck. I may not have the doors or top on, but if I can get the turbo oil drain situated tomorrow morning, I should have time to get an exhaust made, get it inspected by the state, and leave straight from the state inspection office to be in Moab by wednesday evening. That's the plan anyhow. If that fails, then wednesday morning I'll fly back to DIA, grab the faux-lux and be in Moab by evening...

Dan

DanS
05-04-2011, 01:44 AM
So, the 40 isn't coming to Moab. :eek:

Basically, it came down to hose clamps and time. I ran out of hose clamps so I couldn't fill it with coolant. Since I couldn't drive it around this afternoon to get an exhaust put on, I won't have time to get exhaust and alignment done tomorrow and still make it to Moab in a timely manner.

So, I'm off to DIA tomorrow morning and I'll be bringing the faux-lux instead. No biggie, I love the faux-lux too.

The pictures don't show all of the little bits that were tightened up today (like the body being aligned and tightened--with the exception of the left fender), but the running boards make it look more complete, and the hi-lift always looks good there, IMHO.

See you guys Wednesday evening!

Dan

PhatFJ
05-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Really beautiful job Dan!! You should be very proud of the work you have done!! It has been GREAT to watch this build and the attention to detail. I can't wait to see it on the trail, in due time.. See you in Moab :thumb: :thumb:

RicardoJM
05-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Dan, it has been great to watch this evolve. I'm sorry to hear you ran out of time. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished up and rolling on the trails.:D

Rzeppa
05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
That has GOT to be the quickest 40 assembly I have ever seen! Dan, you are good!