PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Moab 2011 Ham Tasks

DaveInDenver
04-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Martin said in another thread:
I still need to:

3. Install new Ham and antenna.

Post here what radio tasks need to be done, hopefully a pre-CM radio day can be figured out.

Air Randy
04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
If you get a radio day arranged, I need someone with a working swr meter to check the tune on the new Firestik CB antenna I just installed.

timmbuck2
04-12-2011, 10:04 AM
1. actually install my HAM instead of having it float on the front seat
2. buy/build and install good antenna, using a mag mount small antenna now
3. install and tune CB and firestik antenna that has been in Amber's truck

plus about 100000 other things...would be awesome if we had a HAM day...also need tips and advice...beer and pizza on me!

MDH33
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Great idea, a Ham day would be great. At a minimum I would like to test my rig out and get some channels programmed. Hopefully the antenna should be good to go out of the box. Maybe we could meet in an open space park or at a trail?

:thumb: :yagi:

rhyary
04-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I will be there in spirit.

rhyary
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Name the band and freq!
I am not very successful hitting Colorado with the 40M. Yesterday 5 - 7PM EST I got east coast - FL, Canada, Virginia, Vermont, MA, Missouri, Mississippi and two stations in Germany. But it does not travel to far West.

On 20M I was able to get to Northern California. I also heard Denver on 20M but not when we tried. I am going to try again today calling CQ on the HFpack freq on 20M.
The HFpack freq is 14.342.5

60wag
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
To get the ham programmed for Moab, are the freqs assigned to specific trails going to be the same as in past years?

MDH33
04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
To get the ham programmed for Moab, are the freqs assigned to specific trails going to be the same as in past years?

From what I've heard,Yes, but there are some additions for new trails.

rhyary
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM
No, have not done HFpack.
But because the HFpack people use Buddipole or Buddstick, the two group travel in the same circles. I am member of the Buddipole group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buddipole/

We should start a group HF4x4!

Groucho
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Install HF Transceiver, Install HF antenna Mount, Install VHF antenna mount.

I am unable to do 4-23 as well. Will have to see about possibly being free for this Sunday the 17th. Have the MFJ259B to use. Not extremely skilled on it, but I usually can see if the SWR can be improved.

MDH33
04-13-2011, 09:22 AM
I think I can get away for a bit on the 17th to test out the Ham. Where and what time?

MDH33
04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Sunday morning (9:00?) sounds good to me. Can anyone else make it? Dave, if you have the gear to analyze my antenna, that would be great. I'll get the gear installed Friday or Saturday and try to figure out how to put some repeaters and channels into memory.

timmbuck2
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I think I can get away for a bit on the 17th to test out the Ham. Where and what time?

ditto

nakman
04-14-2011, 12:35 AM
How about the Mathews/Winters parking area again? Last time that was pretty central to those interested.. hopefully it doesn't snow 3' this time.

and btw Dave, thanks for stepping up to lead the Ham & Eggs run! I should be able to make it, will bring some breakfast food to share.. :)

timmbuck2
04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I thought about that, but that parking lot gets pretty full on weekends and it's supposed to be decent weather. I am open to suggestions. Maybe Red Rocks?

Slee's parking lot? :)

MDH33
04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Slee's parking lot? :)

Maybe Red Rocks?

I would vote either Red Rocks or Heritage Square. A bit closer for me than driving up to Slee. And Red Rocks I could just cruise down 74 to Morrison.

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Dave, I will be busy doing a certain major mod to the Chili on the 17th, but I do need some brief assistance with swr and figuring out why I can never hit the GJ repeater. Probably stupid simple. Maybe some night?

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Do things work OK locally, simplex and the repeaters? Check

Have you checked for obvious problems, corrosion, kinked or abraded cables, bad PL-259 connector? It actually works pretty well. I don't seem to have quite the reach of others even at 50W

For example, corrosion of the NMO. My memory is that the underside of the NMO was exposed and it's pretty important to keep water intrusion to a mimimum. They are designed to be mounted in sheet metal and there is no attempt to made the coax side of NMOs weather tight, so when they are mounted on brackets there needs liberal use of silicone caulk.
Check. I went by HRO and they recommended this gooey tape seal stuff. Well-slathered.

Do you seem to hear the repeater OK? Really well. Can you get into the repeater in GJ and/or along I-70 anywhere? Having any trouble with other CCR machines, Denver, Breck, Vail, Glenwood? I hit other repeaters but can't seem to get tone on that one.

Can you tell if the radio happens to be in low power? IIRC, the FT-7800 shows no indication if you are using 50W but shows 'L' and 'M' for lower TX power. Could be a mistake in the programming that we put the GJ CCR location at 10W instead of 50W. I've tried all power levels.

Like I say... probably something really obvious. To everyone but me. My brain is full from work and boost info... LOL The antenna I got from HRO is very vulnerable to trail damage, dang it. I really wanted a long flexible one or a spring mount or something but they steered me away since getting out there was important to me. Might be a bad choice for my use I guess.

MDH33
04-14-2011, 07:45 PM
The antenna I got from HRO is very vulnerable to trail damage, dang it. I really wanted a long flexible one or a spring mount or something but they steered me away since getting out there was important to me. Might be a bad choice for my use I guess.

What antenna do you have? I was just at HRO trying to decide and opted for a longer (48") more fragile 5/8 wave. I'm hoping it doesn't get broken my first outing, but I'm mounting it within view, so hopefully I'll avoid damage. I was hoping for some more reach as well.

Red_Chili
04-14-2011, 07:50 PM
That's probably the one. OK for Moab, but a bit vulnerable in CO.

MDH33
04-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Is it the Larsen NMO150? If so, I've run my Larsen 2/70 NMO into the garage, into trees, into parking garages for a while now (probably 5 or 6 years) and it's been bulletproof. Remember that my VHF antenna is right in the middle of the roof of my cab and I don't give it much thought at all. It smacks into stuff all the time. After the first summer with the Comet I used before the Larsen I was fixing mechanical problems. I still have the antenna, but don't trust it not to suddenly just flop over, the 'fold-over' feature was poorly conceived on it. Nice thing about Larsen is that they don't change designs much and parts are replaceable.

I went with a comet sbb25 2M antenna. I wanted a diamond, which is what I had previously, but they were sold out in the longer length 5/8 wave versions. This comet has the fold over like you mention and is noticeably thinner, but it was also 1/2 the cost. We'll see how it works I guess. I can always upgrade later.

So, any final decision on a meeting spot for Sunday?

Red_Chili
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
PM sent.

MDH33
04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Ham (Yaesu FT2900R), antenna (Comet SBB25), and aux speaker (Motorola) installed in the 40. :cool: Aux speaker is Soooo much louder than the radio speaker! I'll finally be able to hear my radio over the super swampers while on the highway. :hill:

If anyone wants to test for distance on simplex, I'll be outside all day Saturday and I'll leave the radio on 146.460.

See you Sunday. :thumb:

MDH33
04-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I talked to Nakman this morning between Evergreen and Broomfield, and Stephen who was on Alameda. Not bad for simplex. :cool:

Groucho
04-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I may not be there. I got stuck down at my BIL house. Well see. Not happy with the XYL about ut, but better than a ticket...

rhyary
04-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Roger roger.
May be only with the hamstick if it is raining.
Otherwise I hope to put up the dipole.

rhyary
04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Called CQ on 40 and 17.
On 17 someone answered, but coudnt make the the reply. It was 1-1.
I only had the hamstick on. To windy to set up the portable dipole.

MDH33
04-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks again guys! The Ham seems to be working great. I think the FT2900R will hold up to the dusty 40 interior better than the FT8800R. Looking forward to getting out and trying it in Moab.

Inukshuk
04-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Just finished moving my Larsen 150 to the roof. I'll doe a routing thread later - I went out the driver side rear pillar vent. Worked great.

Hoping to test it out simplex, with someone this week.

rhyary
04-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Well, at least you heard me on the hamstick so this is definitely progress.....
I heard a station 1-1 but couldn't make anything out of it.
But if you heard me, I bet if I had the Buddipole up we would have a successful QSO.
I'll do my best to CQ better.
Definitely still learning lingo.

7 3

Inukshuk
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm listening on 146.460 generally everyday around 7AM and 5PM, today is no different. If you want to try at a different time, I can fire up a QTH VHF station, too.

OK. I'm not usually around the radio those hours but maybe can tomorrow AM.

I caught the connection 730 net on my way home, checked in and noted the new antenna and they said I was loud and clear.

nuclearlemon
04-18-2011, 10:17 PM
2. buy/build and install good antenna, using a mag mount small antenna now
!

i've found lakewood company had decent affordable antennas and a decent selection of mount. i used a magnet mount on the fender of the pig with their $27 nmo mount hi gain antenna in moab a couple years ago and at med power was having a perfectly clear conversation with barb miller...she was in town at the condo and i was up on porcupine rim. i'm not much of a technical person, but being able to actually hear how clear she came in and knowing the distance, i was very impressed.

now i've got the same small antenna, plus a 5/8 wave. nmo is really nice because it's quick to change antennas.

MDH33
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM
If anyone wants to try a QSO and check for RST prior to CM, I'll be working on the rig all day tomorrow and will have the Ham on 146.460. I'm up in Evergreen and was able to talk to many locations in the Denver Metro area last weekend. Shout out.

:thumb:

Inukshuk
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
9AM Sunday anyone able to jump on their HAM and see if we can talk simplex as a radio check. I'm open to almost any other time as well. Thanks

I want to try with both antennas I have to see differences.

I was able to talk to K0NAK over the CO Connection earlier today. He was near Vail. He said I was faint.

wesintl
04-30-2011, 07:10 PM
I could probably jump on at 9am

Inukshuk
05-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I could probably jump on at 9am

I'll check here in the AM and then get on.

If you are still at the same place in the ranch, its 14.5 miles. That's a good test.

Hulk
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I'll turn on my home unit with J-Pole antenna. Maybe I'll hear you at 9:00 a.m.

Inukshuk
05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Roger that

Inukshuk
05-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Big thanks to W0REK, W0RDY and KD0GEG for successful QSL on 146.460 at 09:00 (in English that means "Big thanks to Wes, Matt and Brian for making contact at 9:00 AM this morning")

I was up at 32nd and Tennyson - a high spot. Wes was 15.5 miles away, Matt - 13.8 and Brian 10.6. Both my antennas worked on all power levels.

:cheers::cheers:

PhatFJ
05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Big thanks to W0REK, W0RDY and KD0GEG for successful QSL on 146.460 at 09:00 (in English that means "Big thanks to Wes, Matt and Brian for making contact at 9:00 AM this morning")

I was up at 32nd and Tennyson - a high spot. Wes was 15.5 miles away, Matt - 13.8 and Brian 10.6. Both my antennas worked on all power levels.

:cheers::cheers:

No problem Daniel, it was great to talk to you! I wanted to check out my new antenna mount and feed on the truck as well.. We will see you in Moab :thumb:

Inukshuk
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm about to drive to evergreen 7PM -

In about 15 minutes I will be on 146.460 to see how the new antenna setup is working.

Call out if you can.

KD0GWR

MDH33
04-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm about to drive to evergreen 7PM -

In about 15 minutes I will be on 146.460 to see how the new antenna setup is working.

Call out if you can.

KD0GWR

I called out and listened from 7:15 - 7:30 but heard nothing.

Let me know if you want to try again, I wouldn't mind testing my radio. I just did a bunch or re-wiring in the Hilux.

:beer:

Edit:

I had a QSO with Dave AC°VH at about 7:40 between Denver/Evergreen on low power. Nice and clear. Thanks Dave. Daniel, I heard you come through briefly when you said you were around Morrison Rd. There was a lot a of noise and I was able to hear some of your conversation with Dave with Squelch way down.

nakman
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
I miss living up there... I could hear just about anyone full quiet, particularly Dave's area near DU as I had line of sight. My record was a QSO with some Boulder guys, on 1 watt. The HT wouldn't do that, but the mobile rigs would.

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Had contacts with KD0GWR and KD0GWM. Sounding good fellas.

I'll say it again and I know you're tired of hearing it ... REPEATERS! They don't bite.

Inukshuk
04-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Great chat. I'll just need to test again with the other antenna since I forgot it was there when I parked in my garage. DOH

Fishy
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
What repeaters does everyone normally use? How about Radio Clubs or Repeater Groups? Who belongs? Seems like the right thing to do by joining and giving a little $$ back to keep the repeaters going.

I rarely get/hear anyone on 146.46. I'm in Centennial using a short Diamond NR72BNMO. Maybe thats the problem?

DaveInDenver
04-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I mostly ragchew on 449.450, which is a Rocky Mountain Radio League repeater. Often the default repeater is the Colorado Connection Repeaters, which is a state-wide system of linked together repeaters. The Denver machine is 145.310. Simplex is fine, but for VHF/UHF it's just so limited. I'll call out and even if half a dozen hams are on frequency, it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to hold a QSO with more than one, if that. Hams have put a lot of time and effort into building repeaters and put them up high on towers, they're there to use just have to get guys to get over the nerves. We have dozens to chose from and if you're just looking to chat we have an above average usage of them here in Denver.