PDA

View Full Version : Shocks anyone?

subzali
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Well since the tire thread turned south :rolleyes: :D I'll start another thread for shocks for a 40. Not a stiff ride on road, but stiff enough to be stable in slightly rocky off-camber conditions, basically stock height. Reasonable price, but just throw ideas out there. Check out the tire thread for pictures...:cheers:

farnhamstj
06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Free, I' ll bring it to the meeting tomorow. It'll help control those 33's, Sorry I've got no shocks. Worth buying new. Check procomps the're like $35 each.

subzali
06-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Wow! Thanks, mine's pretty much dead! See you tonight!

PabloCruise
06-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't hear good things about pro-comps.

I like my Doetsch-Tech 8000's...

Hulk
06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I have Rancho 9000 shocks, and they are so fine. I hear Doetsch-Tech are quite awesome though.

Hulk
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
I'll have my 40 at the meeting tonight. You can drive it around and see if you like the shocks. :)

PabloCruise
06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I'll have my 40 at the meeting tonight. You can drive it around and see if you like the shocks. :)

Is getting it airborne an option???

That way I can see if the shims pop out too!!! :D

I'll miss the meeting tonight - have fun!

Hulk
06-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Is getting it airborne an option???

That way I can see if the shims pop out too!!! :D

I'll miss the meeting tonight - have fun!

I don't know if all shims are like mine, but these have a hole that the spring pin goes through. The spring pin is tightened down securely, especially since breaking one of them (I replaced them both on the front when this happened).
They won't be flyin' out no matter how much air I catch! :cheers:

Red_Chili
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Actually, Pro-Comps are not bad at all, and quite affordable. Green Chili (the wife's mostly stock 1997 4Runner) sports a used set from Oleg in fact.

Stay away from any of their spring products though!!! They will let you down... ohIjustcrackmeupsometimes.......

Rzeppa
06-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Having run many different brands and models of shocks, I can't say enough good things about my OMEs. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Come to think of it, they weren't much more than the RS9000s, but more stable and more comfortable. And unlike the Ranchos the bushings fit like OEM. Speaking of OEM, for stock lift (none), OEM Toyota shocks ride great and are quite reasonably priced. Monroes and Gabriels seem about the same, a little stiffer than OEM, not as stiff as RS5000s and much less expensive than RS9000s. IMHO RS9000s are way overrated. The bushings don't fit as well as OEM or OME but they cost about the same. Their ride depends on their setting, which I guess is the biggest selling point, being able to adjust the valving. I know Sears shocks are made by Monroe, but they ride a little smoother, probably a valve setting difference. Out of all the shocks I have used for the last half million miles, my vote goes to Old Man Emu.

Red_Chili
06-09-2006, 08:21 AM
I think the main benefit of Rancho is being able to buy just about any configuration for custom work. RS5000s are to be avoided at all costs unless you want your fillings to swap sockets going down the road.

Nothing wrong with OMEs. Bilsteins have a great reputation among minitruck wheelers though, excellent control with no harshness. No personal experience with them.