PDA

View Full Version : '73 FJ40 power steering set up

baja1d
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Anybody out there care to share, post pictures, of their pre-'73 FJ40 power steering set up. I'm most interested in the modifications to the steering column. My rig is a '64 w/ a 2F and the plan is to use a '76 steering column, mini truck gear box, and stock 2F Toyota pump/res. I'm staying SUA but will be doing a shackle reversal soon and running 33". I'm maily interested in the different variations/modifications and what works best.

BreckBJ44
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
You should look into the PS setup Dan and Subzali have done with 60 series boxes. It gets rid of the push pull system so cleans up a lot of places slop can develop. I plan on doing it this winter.

K

subzali
04-16-2011, 08:51 AM
And TJ's ;)

baja1d, if you're going to use a '76 steering column it will bolt right up to a minitruck box with the rag joint coupling. I believe modifications to the firewall need to be done though, for the bucket to bolt up.

On my FJ60 power steering conversion, I am actually thinking of going back from the FJ55 column I put in back to an FJ40 column (for ergonomics and for parts availability), then cut off the rag joint connection and form it into a "double-D" shape, then use a custom Borgeson shaft to connect to my steering box. I have yet to call Borgeson to talk to them about it and price it out, but I think it will be a better solution than what I currently have (and have shown in my writeup).

HTH

frontrange
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I put an 80 box on my 72 FJ40. Here's the link: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/240609-anyone-ever-put-fj80-steering-box-fj40.html

Here's a detail of the shaft I made to link the box to the original steering column, I turned the parts on the lathe and then tig welded them together:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/box_shaft_parts.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/box_shaft_assm.jpg

subzali
04-16-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the modifications to the firewall are for '69 and older or something like that, for whatever model years originally had the 1-piece steering shaft.

baja1d
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Spoke with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters and he has the pre-fabbed plate for the early steering column. Looks like all I need is this plate, a rag joint adapter, gear box pedistal, mini gear box, fluid lines, and p/s cooler. Since I switching to a floor shift I've been told that I can actually use my existing steering column. Anybody see anything that I'm missing? I've also heard of people using a 4' piece of hard brake line in place of a p/s cooler. What do you guys think?

BreckBJ44
04-16-2011, 11:36 AM
You can get someone to bend you the cooler. I think brake line will be too narrow and may not allow enough flow.. Best part of bending your own is you can make it longer to cool better or move around other mods.

SteveH
04-17-2011, 07:11 AM
I've made several brake line coolers (3) and all have worked well. Since it's on the return side, the flow rate isn't that great. It is tricky to bend it tightly without kinking it, so go slowly and use a decent bending mandrel.