PDA

View Full Version : Emissions Exempt, What Does It Mean?

AHorseThief
04-15-2011, 06:25 PM
So after buying a new (old) 73 FJ40, it was time to head to the DMV. I thought I was going there to get temp tags, so I could drive it over to get emissions tested, so I could come back and get collectors plates and never do another emissions test again.

I walked out with collector's plates.

It was my misunderstanding that I needed to do 1 emissions test before I was good. Turns out, if I had just read what was written 2 years ago on this site I would have been in the know.

How it really works. (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10690&page=6&highlight=collector+plate)

So hurray for no emissions! :thumb:

corsair23
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Sheesh...

I have to admit, I still thought that you HAD to get the vehicle tested initially after purchase, even for 1975 and older rigs, before you could get collector plates. Think the law makers figured out that requiring an old rig to pass emissions testing once, and then never again, made very little sense :confused: - Nah, I'm sure I'm giving them too much credit :lmao:

ianacole
04-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Oh, that's a relief!! I won't have any problems with my '73. I had to get my '75 inspected since it had a SBC - thought they'd do the same. Did you get your plates at the Taj?

AHorseThief
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I picked them up at the Littleton office, right next to the Elvis Theaters.

subzali
04-18-2011, 08:19 AM
way to go Nick! Glad it was easier than you (we) thought!

treerootCO
04-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Now all we need is registration 'fees' that are a little more on the reasonable side.

Kipper
10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
bump. I need to get plates for my '67. is this still the case? I've had the title in my name for years, but never registered it since I've owned it. So I can go down with my title tomorrow and walk out with collector plates still, no emissions required? What kind of ballpark fee$ am I looking at for my '67 FJ40? She's really close to running and I want it plated before another election season changes things around again...

SteveH
10-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I think you will pay ~250-300 for collector plates with 5 years registration - someone can correct me if I'm way off on that.

If you sell the truck and try to transfer the plates to another qualifying collector vehicle, they will hose you bigtime on the 'remaining value' of your plates - BTDT - so be sure you want 5 years on your '67. I've skipped collector plates on some trucks after being burned on this.

AHorseThief
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Collector plates still work the same, and in my opinion the cost is well worth not having to emissions test the vehicle every year. Once you factor in the time savings, you end up way ahead.