PDA

View Full Version : So pulled the rear third and there it was

RockRunner
04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Tim was pulling my third to R/R an inner axle seal when we found some small parts in the bottom of the diff. Looks like I busted 3 teeth while on the Moab pre-run. We got the seal in and everything is getting buttoned up, hopefully the seal will work this time and keep my diff oil in my diff.:rolleyes:

So now does somebody have an eight inch R/P for me that I can install in an other diff and stick it in my truck?? I will also post in the For sale section.

J Kimmel
04-16-2011, 05:20 PM
bummer dude, and you don't even have the stickys on yet...Maybe I should buy them from you.

leiniesred
04-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I think i have an unused gen you whine 5.29 gearset I was going to build as a spare. It's yours, Tom.

TIMZTOY
04-16-2011, 07:52 PM
tom, the teeth i saved, there on your stack of magizenes next to your sterio.

for picture purposes.

and i have 2 complete sets of OEM 8" 3rd's

Air Randy
04-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Tim was pulling my third to R/R an inner axle seal when we found some small parts in the bottom of the diff. Looks like I busted 3 teeth while on the Moab pre-run. We got the seal in and everything is getting buttoned up, hopefully the seal will work this time and keep my diff oil in my diff.:rolleyes:

So now does somebody have an eight inch R/P for me that I can install in an other diff and stick it in my truck?? I will also post in the For sale section.

Who set that third up? Must have been something wrong to break that many teeth.

RockRunner
04-16-2011, 11:00 PM
I think i have an unused gen you whine 5.29 gearset I was going to build as a spare. It's yours, Tom.

Thanks Rudy, I am going to see if the budget will allow me to buy a new set and have them installed. I have never done it nor do I trust myself to do it well enough. If I can't make it work I may take you up on your offer. Thanks again.:thumb:

RockRunner
04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
bummer dude, and you don't even have the stickys on yet...Maybe I should buy them from you.

Maybe after Moab :D I am sure you would do them more justice but I have to try.:rolleyes:

RockRunner
04-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Who set that third up? Must have been something wrong to break that many teeth.

ORS set them up years ago. for them to last this long with my driving style is pretty good. Tim said that the teeth were broken in different areas not all in one area.

Now I will need to set up a new third.

RockRunner
04-16-2011, 11:06 PM
tom, the teeth i saved, there on your stack of magizenes next to your sterio.

for picture purposes.

and i have 2 complete sets of OEM 8" 3rd's

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the offer, I'll see what happens.

AddictedOffroad
04-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I will take some pics tomorrow and post them up. Thanks for the offer, I'll see what happens.

Tom, bring it up here. I can do it for fairly cheap.

New gears are $145
Install kit is $105 (4cyl) or $135 (v6)
Solid pinion spacer is $19.

I'll stand by my setup and parts for a full year.

RockRunner
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
If I have time I will, it is a long drive for me from South Littleton. If I do come up there how long would you need to do the install? If I can wait it would make it a better deal.

J Kimmel
04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
bring it to me Tom and I will run it up there, need to head that way anyhow...sooner the better.

RockRunner
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
bring it to me Tom and I will run it up there, need to head that way anyhow...sooner the better.

I have an extra third. I will drop it off to you today so you can take it up there. Thank you very much, I just don't have time.

Red_Chili
04-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Jeremy, Scott has a 4.88 R&P up there for me, would you mind running it down to town? I can come over to Tom's to pick it up. Scott, you ok with that? I can get the beer to you in Moab?

J Kimmel
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Jeremy, Scott has a 4.88 R&P up there for me, would you mind running it down to town? I can come over to Tom's to pick it up. Scott, you ok with that? I can get the beer to you in Moab?

yep, no problem. do me a favor and either call me or scott tomorrow to remind...I will forget I promise!

303 489 8230

J Kimmel
04-20-2011, 07:52 PM
got both of your junk(s) at my house :)

RockRunner
04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Cool, thanks for doing this. I will stop by in the next two days.

farnhamstj
04-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Tom I'm amazed that the only thing you broke the way you were driving on cliffhanger in 2wd.

RockRunner
04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Those gears have been in my rig for the last 5 years. Before that another 4 years so they have time on them but no real miles. So far it has always been 37"s but this last trip I ran the 40"s so that may have had something to do with it. Got a new third built thanks to Scott at Addicted Off Road and Jeremy for giving it a ride both ways. Need to install it still and drive on it some.

Cliffhanger may have been the last straw, 2Wd up the last set of ledges was pretty hard on the truck but I made it out.

Red_Chili
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
got both of your junk(s) at my house :)
You rock, Jeremy! Thank you.

Red_Chili
04-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Cliffhanger may have been the last straw, 2Wd up the last set of ledges was pretty hard on the truck but I made it out.
Well... *I* am certainly impressed! Not sure I woulda wanted to watch that... :lmao:
Those ledges claimed a pinion a couple years ago (had been on Chili since incept and on Red Chili I as well). Didn't let go completely until Wipe Out Hill the next day. Glad you caught it!

RockRunner
04-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Got a R&P in my truck with your name on it. LMK how you want to transfer ownership.

Uncle Ben
04-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Hmmmm....just did a search and didn't find any broken Land Cruiser ring gears....go figure. Seems there have been a couple front 80 Ring gears though....wonder why they break?

RockRunner
04-22-2011, 12:45 AM
They are made to break in the 80's so we can sell them our old gears,

J Kimmel
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Hmmmm....just did a search and didn't find any broken Land Cruiser ring gears....go figure. Seems there have been a couple front 80 Ring gears though....wonder why they break?

Land Cruisers don't break ring gears, its a known fact they only snap pinions :)

Red_Chili
04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Land Cruisers don't break ring gears, its a known fact they only snap pinions :)

Gee, I guess my old pinion must have been as strong as a mighty LC pinion! Interesting, because it was a 4 cyl pinion. :lmao:

Ah well, this LC v. mini thing is getting long on miles and short on wit. Doncha think, UB?

subzali
04-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Those ledges claimed my pinion in Nov. 2007 - wow has it been that long already?

Uncle Ben
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM

Pinions are the "fuse" in the system for sure!

L43dean
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM

I am not trying to slam anybodies rig. Is the 80 front issue because of the design difference with a "high pinion" configuration when in reverse, as in backing up?

Red_Chili
04-22-2011, 02:11 PM
They don't take kindly to full throttle aircraft carrier landings on High Speed Mesa. BOOM!

Uncle Ben
04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I am not trying to slam anybodies rig. Is the 80 front issue because of the design difference with a "high pinion" configuration when in reverse, as in backing up?

High pinion actually makes the tiny 8" ring gear setup stronger while going forward. The fact is even the LC 9.5" R&P's are under size for what we are doing with them. Heavy vehicle + large tires + small pinion (higher gear multiplication). I'm certain this is why Toy engineers under power by design. What supports my theory is now that Toyota is finally playing the Horse Power game the drive train components jumped up to 1 ton standards. Rather than retool and create a high pinion 9.5 differential for the 80 setup (wouldn't that be sweet!) they kept the power output of the stock 1FZ down to anemic small truck levels. The 1 FZ has soooo much potential as obvious by what the Auzzies do with them.....800-900hp normally aspirated! The 1FZ is after all based very closely on the 7M-GE Supra motor (3L). Many parts from the 7M-GE fit the 1FZ!
Because of the forward engine design of the 80 series, high pinion is necessary to keep front drive shaft angles tolerable.

Uncle Ben
04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
They don't take kindly to full throttle aircraft carrier landings on High Speed Mesa. BOOM!

Or pulling stuck (edited) trucks out in reverse or 2wd ledge climbs or....