PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Front Axles for '85 4Runner

gcmandrake
06-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm planning on rebuilding the driver's side knuckle shortly and since this is the second time it's been leaking (since I've owned it) I've been thinking of replacing the axle(s). Does anyone have a pair that they are interested in selling.

Conversely, can anyone suggest a place to purchase a pair? I've checked out Marlin Crawler (Long: $135, Short: $114) and All Pro (Long/Short: $99.50). Both are made of 4340 Chromemoly Steel. I should also pick up a spare Birfield, but $ is an issue these days.

Thanks in advance.
the Other Matt

Red_Chili
06-07-2006, 07:15 AM
I hesitate to recommend them any more, but Yota Yard had a barrel of stockers a while ago. Should be $50/pr. 'Should be' and 'are' haven't always aligned at the new Yota Yard though.

Stockers will be plenty strong for your uses I think. Pick a pair with decent seal surfaces. DO get a pair of Longfields though!

Check Eurasian too.

nuclearlemon
06-07-2006, 07:43 AM
jim, who lost yota yard in the divorce has a new place in denver too. i'll try to find his number.

Shark Bait
06-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Drop my name at Yota Yard if you think it will help. I just bought some FJ55 springs from them and am trying to get them to advertise in Trails.

isotel
06-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Ive got a stock used inner Axle set for a minitruck somewhere out in the garage.. $40

Trevor 719-331-7516

gcmandrake
06-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Trevor,

This is too cool. From your 719, I'm assuming that you're down in the Springs? I work on Garden of the Gods Road. Can we meet tommorrow or some time next week?

Matt

isotel
06-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Yep, ill toss them in my truck. Call me in the mornin, I work Down South, maybe we can meet up for lunch..

Trevor

Red_Chili
06-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Matt, did you ever pull your third to find the source of those mystery chunks? Let me know if you need help rebuilding that third.

gcmandrake
06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Bill,

Upon reflection we (more like Jeff & Mike Caskey), decided that it was not from the diff. So, that leaves the transfer case. :( Whether it's critical or not... The transmission is a A340H which has the transfer case as an integral unit. Again, a serious bummer. So, my options are kind of limited: replace the whole unit with another auto (hard to find) or find a W-56 and a proper gear driven transfer case. Did you sell your old tranny?

Matt

Red_Chili
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Cheeseman's got it. His old one came out and it is totally over-haulable. It's not hard to do and I have the needed tools if he is agreeable. A tcase should run you ~$150 or less. You will like it a WHOLE bunch more...

So... you drained your oil from multiple places and found parts in the goo?

Red_Chili
06-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh, and the overhaul kit will run you about $200 or so +/-. Marlin sells them, lotsa local folks sell them. I got mine from Jim C. if he can still get 'em for ya. Or, get you a good deal on one anywho...

gcmandrake
06-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I drained the front diff & transfer case. I didn't see those little pieces slip out, so my first assumption was diff. Unfortunately, I guess, it was from t-case. I think it needs replacing. How hard is the overhaul and how long does it take? Can you help, this is way beyond my wrenching level. (Even pulling the tranny.) I wonder if Cheeseman will part with his old transmission?

the Other Matt