PDA

View Full Version : Castor bushing press

OilHammer
04-28-2011, 02:13 PM
So I finally couldn't take the bottoming out with every crack in the pavement, so cut open the arm and bled for a few minutes before buying an 80 series OME medium kit from Slee. Not that his prices are high, I just was hoping to not have to spend the $$ right now. It will inevitably lead to more spending....brake lines, u-joints, tires....:eek:

That said, I need to install this myself to save $$, and on the fast side. Meaning, the wife will only give me a few hours on a Saturday to get this done before I have to come back and help with the kiddos. I'm looking for recommendations to getting the castor bushings changed. I don't have a shop press yet, though buying one would cost the same as paying someone to change them out for me in some cases. Anyone have a press that I can come use for a bit on a Saturday or something? :beer: Oh, and not to be picky, but closer to Denver the better b/c of the time issue.

Thanks!
Barry

ajax
04-28-2011, 02:24 PM
they are tough to press in and do it right from the times ive seen it done, i would have slee do them if it were me or nother cruiser shop thats done them before.

wesintl
04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Dan might still have the extra floating control arms so you could get pressed in by any shop and give yours to the next guy... Let me know if you need help. we can swap that suspension in hour.

OilHammer
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
An hour? Really? Wow....It took me several hours to replace the shocks a month ago or so. I put brand new Toyota shocks on....that was a mistake. Nothing wrong with the shocks, but that clearly wasn't the problem.

The help would be huge...not sure what your shop arrangement is, but I at least have a flat concrete pad and a full size floor jack. (missing my old neighbor's 2 post lift now) I have heard a bottle jack comes in handy for swapping the springs, and I have one of those as well.

AxleIke
04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I have a press you can use at 84th and Wads. 20 ton. I'm not sure what the "correct" way to do them is (referencing the above comment), so you might be better with a cruiser head.

OilHammer
04-28-2011, 05:37 PM
It seems like there are only two parts that are tricky or critical to the bushings. A press tool (which I have) when removing them, and then getting the new bushings in the correct position before you press them in. Other than that, if you follow basic rules of thumb with pressing things (support, etc) and have a large enough press, it shouldn't be a big deal.

MountainGoat
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey Barry I do have the extra set of control arms that are handed around the club specifically to expedite lift installation on 80s. I can get them to you tomorrow if you want them. :thumb:

cool breeze
04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Sorry but I'm failing to see how cc will fix you from bottoming out?

Install is pretty straight forward, the template helps a lot. Also definitely a two man job with some lube recommended.

Lmk if you need help in the c/s area.
Josh

AxleIke
04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not available this Saturday, but the next I am. Or, if you want to grab the extra set of arms, and do it on another day, that is fine too.

Inukshuk
04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
I had my 80 for a few years without the bushings in. Its not the end of the world of you drive it to CM without them. Just hold on tighter!

nuclearlemon
04-28-2011, 08:53 PM
setting the bushings isnt that bad, i think the pattern is on slee's sight. if you can get the ones that are already set (or just one) then put it underneath, run a bolt through the bushing into the next when you go to press it in and that way the one will line up the new one.

the springs are super quick to do with a cherry picker. about twenty minutes. per axle. unbolt the sway bars and bottom of the shocks, put sway bar on bumper and lift the body. you can scoop old springs out and new ones in. i'll be busy doing a security install saturday, but your welcome to use my driveway.

the arms can be more tricky, depends on the bolts. i'll be doing mine next weekend and i'll have to cut one bolt out.:(

OilHammer
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Also definitely a two man job with some lube recommended.

Lmk if you need help in the c/s area.
Josh

Two man job and some lube.....er....I think I'll sit that one out.:eek:

The lift is fixing the bottoming out problem. The CC bushings are just part of that install....nothing to do with bottoming out at all.

And I wish I was going to CM, but that just won't be happening. Not only do I have a major push with work next week, but with two brand new kids in the house, the wife is not up for the travel or me leaving her alone. Next year I guess. :cheers:

wesintl
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Kids :confused:

FJBRADY
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Kids :confused:

X2

You gots some splainin to do Rut:beer:

OilHammer
04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Ya...we're foster parents. Last week, we got a call for an emergency placement. So, in 2 hours time, we went from no kids to having a 4yr old and a 10mo old. Nutty.
That's why all my time for this stuff went out the window. We still have to settle into routines and right now both kids demand full attention at all times. At some point, the 4yr old will be a little better at self entertaining and I'll be able to get more time to mow the lawn, etc.

leiniesred
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Bob in Denver and I did his with the template, an old bearing from my MR-2, and a 10 ton press. Sure, we spent some time staring at the alignment before we pressed in the bushings, and we were VERY careful to get them pressed in right where we wanted them, but everything bolted up just perfect on the first try. We also removed the swaybar, breather, brake line bracket and slipped the taller (heavy) springs under his FZJ80 with no issues at all. Zero re-work.

I bet I could find that lipped bearing we used to press in the bushings without damaging anything if you need it, but you might have to drive out to Aurora to pick it up.

-Stephen

wesintl
04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
wow Congrats Mary and Barry. :)

OilHammer
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Oh sweet...a month has passed on this already. Geez... Maybe I can get it swapped in this weekend some time.

OilHammer
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Got the springs and shocks on over the weekend. Truck is now ALL over the road... :) Got to get those bushing fixed! Dan, can you bring the spare arms to the meeting tonight?

MountainGoat
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Yep. :hill: See you there!

OilHammer
06-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Got everything but the steering stabilizer in yesterday. I had a coupon for the HF 20 ton press for $160, so I thought I'd go that route. Like most tools, you get what you pay for. I put shims on the sides of the traveler, and that minimized the play, but there is still movement, and movement on a shop press can be a very dangerous thing under full load. I spun the bottle jack sideways so I could pump it from the side...very nice since the aluminum press tool is right at crotch height should it go flying! The arms aren't flat, so shimming the arm and making sure the press plates are all in the right spot are essential to a safe and effective process. The arms themselves swapped out like butta.